Home Technical Talk

Maya UI experts in the house?

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
BigErn polycounter lvl 11
I`m really interested in making a multifunctional window inside maya with the ability to be able to dock various windows together, so you can have what you need open,but not all in view at the same time.  Bascially using Tabs like Browsers do these days.   Anyone able to help,  I can provide mockups and details of what I`m after.  Personally I think it would help all maya users out there!  who needs all the windows open?  and opening and closing them time after time is annoying!!   I think this is the solution, but I`m an artist with no clue on technical stuffs!   Halp!!  :)

Replies

• Panupat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Panupat polycounter lvl 15
    You can embed Maya's UI into your own Qt window. You need to find the widget and get a pointer to its QWidget. There are a couple tutorials on the web.
  • Saf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saf polycounter lvl 11
    Mockups and details, perhaps I can help.
  • Deadly Nightshade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deadly Nightshade polycounter lvl 10
    You can probably make something like that with PyQt.
  • BigErn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh thanks for the replies.  I`ll certainly provide a mockup.  Its something I have been wanting for ages.  I really do not have the skills required to work it out technically.  Once I have a mockup I`ll be back!  :)
  • BigErn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So.. here is a mockup. I had to remove some custom work windows.  I understand now that moving the modelling toolkit into a new window might be impossible? 

So the idea is if you have 2 monitors you generally want your main monitor to have the most amount of 3d space availble to navigate.  This is ok for the most part.  The problem comes if you need to option another window, or have a game engine running in 1 monitor and Maya live updates on another, you have to start moving all the floating windows around, only to put them back time and time again!   Then you need to open UV editor, close it,  Hypershade, do 1 thing, close it, or move it around, or let it get in the way with all the other floating windows!..  do this all day, gets annoying!

So.. I thought this could be a solution.  The only issues I know of is the process of getting the windows into the 'dock' state, and how to make them appear in the custom window.   I know the UI is very fiddly (from what our tech guys say when I bug them)..

Anything either hardcoded or super nice drag and drop and I`d be happy!

• BigErn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry, just wanted to bump to try and get help, will contact who replied if needed.  thanks.
  • deckard2016
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Bigern, 

I've been trying to get this to work for a few days as well, did you manage to make it happen?