Home Quixel Megascans

Quixel Suite 2 is OUT NOW! (Current version: 2.3.2)

Replies

• MRRadioactiv
    Offline / Send Message
    MRRadioactiv polycounter lvl 9
    As first - Big Thanks for the Quixel Suite 2.0.  My Question, is it possible to use the old "custom" Smart Materials? Is there a "tut" for that?  Thank you for the answer!
  • Brygelsmack
    Offline / Send Message
    Brygelsmack polycounter lvl 11
    When I add a color paint layer and paint in 3DO on the model it shows up perfectly on the mesh, but when I hit the paint brush icon next to the layer nothing happens. I can't see the changes on my texture flats in Photoshop. Am  I missing something? In the workflow primer he just hits that button to bake it down (on a second look, he doesn't show the changes in the document so no way for me to tell if it actually works). 

I was able to paint in a mask and get those changes baked to the albedo, but I can't get painting solid colors to bake down. 

Edit: Seems like there's no way to Ctrl-Z while painting on the mesh as well? 
  • Synaesthesia
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    I've forwarded your 3D painting issues and will let you know when I get an answer, Brygelsmack. :smile:  In the meantime, 3D painting in 3DO has undo disabled by default as it greatly speeds up 3D painting for 8k resolution. While painting, you can click the performance tab in the top right 3DO and enable undo there.
  • Brygelsmack
    Offline / Send Message
  • Arforyon
    Offline / Send Message
    Arforyon polycounter lvl 4
    Are there plans of adding some way to bake all the information such as albedo, specular, gloss, occlusion and others, into a single image, using the lighting setup of 3do? That way you are left with only one image that contains all the information, something similar to 3ds max complete map in the render to texture menu.
  • Sands
    Arforyon said:
    Are there plans of adding some way to bake all the information such as albedo, specular, gloss, occlusion and others, into a single image, using the lighting setup of 3do? That way you are left with only one image that contains all the information, something similar to 3ds max complete map in the render to texture menu.
    I actually sent a pm to one of the quixel mods about this, because it was possible in 1.8 but not anymore. What I used to do for this was i would set the map display to a "plane" in the 3DO window, then adjust lighting, post-process to my liking. Then I would set the background to a solid color such as red or green (for easy selection in photoshop). I would then take a screenshot at 3k by 3k resolution. Load that screenshot in photoshop, select the back ground and delete it. Then Trim transperancy, and scale the image down to 2048 or 1024 or 512 (whatever i need). Bam you have a manual render to texture feature. You can also speed this up by creating a macro in photoshop to do the cut/trim/rescale/sharpen automatically. 

However with 2.0 the plane no longer is displayed at a front orthographic view, it was in a 3Q persp and i have not found a way to set it back to a front view yet. I'm hoping to get a response soon about this. 

P.S Quixel you guys can easily add this feature in with a script and have a render to texture feature too :p 
  • Sythen
    Offline / Send Message
    Sythen polycounter lvl 10
    Sands said:
    Arforyon said:
    I actually sent a pm to one of the quixel mods about this, because it was possible in 1.8 but not anymore. What I used to do for this was i would set the map display to a "plane" in the 3DO window, then adjust lighting, post-process to my liking. Then I would set the background to a solid color such as red or green (for easy selection in photoshop). I would then take a screenshot at 3k by 3k resolution. Load that screenshot in photoshop, select the back ground and delete it. Then Trim transperancy, and scale the image down to 2048 or 1024 or 512 (whatever i need). Bam you have a manual render to texture feature. You can also speed this up by creating a macro in photoshop to do the cut/trim/rescale/sharpen automatically. 

However with 2.0 the plane no longer is displayed at a front orthographic view, it was in a 3Q persp and i have not found a way to set it back to a front view yet. I'm hoping to get a response soon about this. 

P.S Quixel you guys can easily add this feature in with a script and have a render to texture feature too :p 
    I'm curious to know why this is required? Doing this method loses 90% of information in the final output render, as your lose Normal map information, roughness information, spec, albedo - you effectively are left with a Diffuse texture which isn't much help in any current renderer.
  • SaphireS
    Offline / Send Message
    SaphireS null
    Sands said:
    Arforyon said:

In 3Do you can press P to switch between Perspective/Orthographic view and use I J K L fot the respective views in Ortho mode. Also F aligns the model to the nearest fixed viewpoint iirc.
  • snake85027
    Offline / Send Message
    snake85027 polycounter lvl 18
    I started using 2.0 today and imported my model and cannot figure out how to rotate the model in the 3do viewer.
  • snake85027
    Offline / Send Message
    snake85027 polycounter lvl 18
    over nevermind lol, hold down alt.
  • Sands
    Sythen said:
    Sands said:
    Arforyon said:

I'm curious to know why this is required? Doing this method loses 90% of information in the final output render, as your lose Normal map information, roughness information, spec, albedo - you effectively are left with a Diffuse texture which isn't much help in any current renderer.
    It's a work around i started using when working on older engines where real time rendering engine isn't up to date to display spec/gloss maps properly. It is also sometimes useful on smaller objects to save texture memory or on objects in an area with static lighting. It's sort of an old school way of baking diffuse textures. It is phasing out but it was nice to be able to pull it off with quixel. 

I find in Unreal Engine for example metalness map even at 4k on smaller objects don't display properly, so a little bit of baked information in the diffuse helps lift the look. Same goes for micro scratches etc. 
  • Brygelsmack
    Offline / Send Message
    Is there any way to select which maps to create when you start a new project? I remember this was possible in 1.8. 
  • Sythen
    Offline / Send Message
    Is there any way to select which maps to create when you start a new project? I remember this was possible in 1.8. 
    @Brygelsmack: Are you referring to NDO or DDO? When you open DDO, you'll see the screen below, this is the base creator which can be used to select any of the input maps for the project you want to use. After importing a mesh, new options 'Bake in 3DO' will appear should you wish to have 3DO handle the map generations for you.

A detailed overview on creating a project can also be found here: http://quixel.se/hub/tutorial/quixel-suite-2-overview/
    I hope this helps, let me know! :) 

• Deadity
    Offline / Send Message
    Deadity polycounter lvl 7
    How do I make 3DO display the model in the background of Photoshop like in your Quixel SUITE 2.0 workflow primer video? I have Photoshop 2015.

I can only get 3DO to show up as a separate window.
  • Gordon Robb
    Offline / Send Message
    Gordon Robb polycounter lvl 2
    Deadity said:
    How do I make 3DO display the model in the background of Photoshop like in your Quixel SUITE 2.0 workflow primer video? I have Photoshop 2015.

I can only get 3DO to show up as a separate window.
    I think it just looks like it's in the background. Its just that he has 3DO open with no menus, and happens to be the size that makes it look like it's in Photshhop. The file that is open in PS is the normal map, it's just hidden by the 3DO window :)
  • Deadity
    Offline / Send Message
    Deadity polycounter lvl 7
    Gordon Robb said:

I think it just looks like it's in the background. Its just that he has 3DO open with no menus, and happens to be the size that makes it look like it's in Photoshop. The file that is open in PS is the normal map, it's just hidden by the 3DO window :)
    Could Sythen share how that is achievable. I can't find the option that removes the menu, or makes the main Quixel panel persistently float over other windows.

The point at the video that the useful background rendering is used: (Polycount has disabled opening youtube links for some bizarre reason: the time I wanted to link to but was prevented from doing is 1.06 minutes in.)

• alekseypindrus
    Offline / Send Message
    alekseypindrus polycounter lvl 8
    Deadity, Gordon Robb is right, it's just no UI + resized and placed 3DO window.
    There is no «option» to hide 3DO UI, just press SPACE and you're good to go!

Does your Quixel panel falls behind Photoshop UI? If so you need to install 64 bit Photoshop.
    Quixel UI will not stay on top with 32 bit version of Photoshop.
  • Sands
    How do you re-import textures in quixel 2.0? I don't see the option anywhere :( 

• Brygelsmack
    Offline / Send Message
    Sythen said:
    @Brygelsmack: Are you referring to NDO or DDO? When you open DDO, you'll see the screen below, this is the base creator which can be used to select any of the input maps for the project you want to use. After importing a mesh, new options 'Bake in 3DO' will appear should you wish to have 3DO handle the map generations for you.

A detailed overview on creating a project can also be found here: http://quixel.se/hub/tutorial/quixel-suite-2-overview/
    This is what mine looks like. I don't have the "Add more channels" nor do I have the option to remove any channels like in your pic.

• Gordon Robb
    Offline / Send Message
    Gordon Robb polycounter lvl 2
    Acutally, I don't have that either. I can add mups using the drop down, but there's no x to remove maps. And no button beside the  '16 bits per channel' 
  • Brygelsmack
    Offline / Send Message
    Which dropdown? You mean the Export Target? I think it's only changing maps depending on which target you set. I have no control over it aside from that.

Also it seems like textures are not showing in 3DO for projects created with dDo 1.8. Would be nice if it was compatible with older projects, if possible. 
  • Sands
    So I did a first texture pass on a project and here are some issues I ran into: 

- Most annoying one, I'm yet to figure how to re-import a map once a project has been created. I often make changes to my base maps as I work through and right now i have to restart the project over again or manually find the layers and replace them which is very time consuming compared to being able to just re-import textures in 1.8. 

- 3DO Baker works well until you have a multi-mesh group object, in my case i had a pair of boots and there is a leather piece overlapping the base, the curveture map bake turned into a giant mess, so did object space. Unusable. So this feature seems to only work with simpler objects or objects with no overlapping meshes. 

- If a mesh has 2 or more materials assigned to it, DDO was discarding any material ID other than MI 1. Even with a color map applied DDO would not apply in materials to other material IDs. I had to assign a single material to the entire mesh and e-import the mesh to get it to work. (i didn't have this issue in 1.8) 

- Mask presets are all over the place, some of it was fixed with the patch, but this could also be related to the bad map bakes. I basically have to hand paint every bit of detail for now, presets such as edge/cavity/miscoloration preset masks just don't work they come out extremely weird. (didn't have this issue in 1.8) 

- 3DO i can't figure out how to check the resolution of 3DO to see at what resolution I'm previewing my mesh. (again this was super simple in 1.8) 

- I want to add this again, the combination of bad bakes and the preset mask mess, majority of the smart materials are unsable right now. I have to find plain materials andhand paint al lthe detail or else they just look really strange. (example a dusty worn leather would have giant pieces of sand all over it in weird patterns that do not follow the cavity or curvature of the mesh) 

I had to restart this project back in 1.8 as none of the above issues are happening in 1.8 (on a deadline) but i will have more time to test new projects over the weekend. 

It's not all bad though, im really loving the speed at which 2.0 operates, im loving custom painting, once these issues are resolved i think 2.0 will be my main go to software for texturing! 
  • Sands
    Oh I forgot to add:

- In my multi-group mesh project ( i had a total of 10 meshes grouped) DDO was assigning 2 set of textures to one mesh and one mesh wouldn't take any materials. Even though their maps were correctly assigned. I had to go back to 3ds max and rename the meshes that had issues and rename the textures as well and restart the project to get it to work. 
  • Synaesthesia
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    Sythen said:

This is what mine looks like. I don't have the "Add more channels" nor do I have the option to remove any channels like in your pic.

I've been informed that particular feature is being added shortly. Sorry about the inconvenience! For the time being, you can create a project and add or remove maps while working with DDO. If you need help finding that feature, let me know! :smile: 

Sands: I've forwarded your post to the Quixel Live Support group on Facebook. Thanks for the reports! :smile:
  • dzibarik
    Offline / Send Message
    dzibarik polycounter lvl 10
    any plans to put Quixel on Steam?
  • Synaesthesia
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    Anything is possible, Dzibarik! :smile: 
  • LuCh!
    Offline / Send Message
    LuCh! polycounter lvl 5
    Awesome update, the painter is a great addition!
    There are two features from the previous version I can't find anymore though, is there still an option to reimport maps and where did the seam termination option go? Thanks!
  • Synaesthesia
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    Seam Termination is currently removed, but should be making a reappearance in the next patch. This also applies to the reimporter. :smile: We'll get it back in ASAP! Sorry about the wait!
  • Veezen
    Offline / Send Message
    Veezen polycounter lvl 9
    Suite 2 is just perfect! Much better than Suite 1 which I was able to test. I definietly buy it. 
    I just noticed that baking Curvature map through 3DO doesn't work ok. A lot of strange lines, which case a lot of bad things while generating details.
  • Synaesthesia
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    We have a new patch coming soon that should address the issue you've mentioned with 3DO baking. :smile: 

• jan19
    I'd just like to say, real quick -- I love Quixel Suite 2!  I've only done one test project with it, to try it out, but the materials are gorgeous!  :-)  I haven't tried the painting, but have tried the 3DO baker, and it works fine.  Thanks so much for what looks like a really wonderful upgrade.
  • Synaesthesia
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    You're certainly quite welcome! <3
  • Ultragrisen
    Offline / Send Message
    Ultragrisen polycounter lvl 9
    Is there a way to Load the current photoshop document you are working on as map on 3do?
    Cause in Suite 1 you could load your currently working PSD file and just save >refresh to see the changes...

Sorry if this has been answered ...
  • Sythen
    Offline / Send Message
    Is there a way to Load the current photoshop document you are working on as map on 3do?
    Cause in Suite 1 you could load your currently working PSD file and just save >refresh to see the changes...

Sorry if this has been answered ...
    Hey Ultragrisen,

We're currently working on improving 3DO's importer and reimporters. The feature of loading the current document is something we're in the process of re-adding to the new importer window.

We hope to have it added back ASAP! I hope this answers your question.
  • Tea Monster
    Offline / Send Message
    Tea Monster polycounter lvl 13
    I've been thinking of getting this to help with my texturing workflow. I downloaded the demo and am having some problems. When I open the load mesh box, it closes after a minute, before I have a chance to open a project. Then the whole thing crashes. and flicks out. 

Any ideas?

Windows 10 64, Nvidia card with latest drivers. Photoshop CS6 13.0.1 x64
  • feloxy
    Offline / Send Message
    feloxy polycounter lvl 6
    Hello, I am trying to get some help with quixel 2, I had 1.8 I then used the upgrade prompt when opening quixel to get ver 2, then proceeded with the installtion. Once done, started quixel, it asked for my email for activation it worked. On the second day, I opened quixel and it asked for my email again, it then told me all licenses were used. It sent me an email to deactivate but when I go to the link it does not load the website. Thanks, Vincent
  • Synaesthesia
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    @Tea Monster - have you tried running Photoshop as an administrator, closing it, and then running the Suite afterward? Let me know if that works for you!

Feloxy: Please send an e-mail to waqar@quixel.se and he'll take care of your license issue. :smile: 
  • Grusti
    Offline / Send Message
    Grusti polycounter lvl 10
    Hello guys! ... where is undo command in 3DO? every time i must clear my painting and it's a huge problem

EDIT: I found it! In Perfomance tab!... But why this function doesnt work by default?!) We strugled with this about 3 days!)
  • Synaesthesia
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    @IlyaIvanovArt - undo is disabled by default. It significantly improves painting in the viewport across all hardware configurations. We let the end-user decide if they want to enable it or not. :smile: 
  • Grusti
    Offline / Send Message
    SYNAESTHESIA - make sense) thank you and everyone in quixel team! 
  • snoops3d
    Offline / Send Message
    snoops3d polycounter lvl 12
    Hey guys awesome product so far,
    I have one small issue,  when trying to paint  on the mesh I get an error, breaking my ability to paint on mesh with my cintiq clone ( yiynova mvp22 v2),  I can still move my cursor around but it wont actually paint, what is even more odd is if I use my mouse I still have full control.    Here is the  error message " FAILED GetDataPacket. System Exception: GetDataPacket - invalid pktID at WintabDN. CWintabData. GetDataPacket (UInt32 pktID_I) [0x00000] in filename unknown: 0

Anyhelp you can provide will be greatly appreciated.  

Thanks!
    Steve
  • Synaesthesia
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    Hey Snoops!

This is something that Sameer (our 3DO engineer) can fix - would you be okay with posting it on the Quixel Live Support group? :smile: 
  • snoops3d
    Offline / Send Message
    snoops3d polycounter lvl 12
    sure thing will do thank you for your help!  I have just  requested access I will post to support as soon as they accept my request
  • ChrisTM
    Hey all, i just bought the QxS2 , someone know if megascan library will be free for QuixelSuite 2 members ?
    thank
  • Synaesthesia
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    Megascans is a subscription service - the Suite comes with quite a few Megascans in the form of base materials which all Smart Materials draw from. :smile: 
  • ChrisTM
    Megascans is a subscription service - the Suite comes with quite a few Megascans in the form of base materials which all Smart Materials draw from. :smile: 
    Ok thank you Jonathan

• frmdbl
    Offline / Send Message
    frmdbl polycounter
    I have a problem with the license activation.
    It seems every time I restart the computer I have to activate the license again, I don't change anything in terms of the hardware setup of course.

Any solutions?
  • Synaesthesia
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    That sounds like something a clean install would fix. Give that a shot and let us know if it works. :smile: 
  • Grusti
    Offline / Send Message
    Where I can post my artwork that I made using Quixel Suite?) And I have couple suggestions for 3DO
  • Synaesthesia
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    We'd love to see it here in the Suite subforum! Or you can join us on the Quixel Tools Group and share it there, too! :smile: 
This discussion has been closed.