Home General Discussion

Jessica Jones

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Marine polycounter lvl 18
Anyone else watching? Bit of a slow start, but once Kilgrave becomes more prominent it gets much better. Only thing it doesn't do better than Daredevil is the fights.

Replies

• GrevSev
    Offline / Send Message
    GrevSev polycounter lvl 9
    I'm watching

It great. I tried to pace myself but my friend needs to watch more now and I don't want left behind.
  • Kel-Shaded
    Offline / Send Message
    Kel-Shaded polycounter lvl 6
    Marine said:
    Anyone else watching? Bit of a slow start, but once Kilgrave becomes more prominent it gets much better. Only thing it doesn't do better than Daredevil is the fights.
    Extremely slow start, just finished the first episode with a *sigh* Meah,
    Don't think I can handle a leniancy episode o.o
  • Fuiosg
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    I watched 2 pilots the other night, this and Man in the High Castle. Jessica Jones seemed better to me, which is funny cause I'm not really a Marvel fan.
  • CandyStripes05
    Offline / Send Message
    CandyStripes05 polycounter lvl 9
    the commercials looked good, got to check it out soon
  • iadagraca
    Offline / Send Message
    iadagraca polycounter lvl 5
    Pretty good, I like these grounded super hero stories. 
  • Jean-Pascal
    Offline / Send Message
    Jean-Pascal polycounter lvl 5
    I watched the first couple of episodes over the week-end. I like it so far!
    I agree that the first episode might be a bit slow, but since you don't have to wait another week before seeing the other episodes, I didn't really mind to be honest.
  • Gilgamesh
    Offline / Send Message
    Gilgamesh polycounter lvl 12
    I intended to watch a couple here and there to fill time.  Ended up finishing the series at 1am last night.  I quite liked it - I don't think it's on par with Daredevil but I liked that it showed that allot of what she does has consequences, pretty good all round in terms of cast.  In fact the only one I thought was a little off, was Kilgrave/David Tennent (even as a fan of his Dr Who and a brit too).
  • lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
       Went through the whole thing in pretty much 1 go, didnt like it that much in the beginning but from episode 6-7 and forwards it gets really good. love what they did with killgrave, but yeah, its really slow in the first half.

I still think daredevil was better, but this was by no means bad.
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Extremely slow first episode with too many sub-plots going on.  I was wondering the whole time if I was missing out on fan-service because I never read the comic.
  • CandyStripes05
    Offline / Send Message
    Extremely slow first episode with too many sub-plots going on.  I was wondering the whole time if I was missing out on fan-service because I never read the comic.
    thought the same thing

the beginning of the first episode reminded me of Veronica Mars, the whole P.I. thing and the voice over as she sneaks around, not to mention she was also in Veronica Mars
  • slipsius
    Surprised to see so many meh comments about this. I thought it was pretty F'ing fantastic. I think I still liked Daredevil a bit more, but only because they have better fights. Jessica Jones fights are just people throwing other people across the room. But I think Kilgrave is actually one of the best villians we've seen, out of all the shows AND movies. 
  • lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Killgrave was amazing. I think the problem is that daredevil set the bar sooo high that anything next to amazing feels kind of meh in comparison. 
  • HitmonInfinity
    Offline / Send Message
    HitmonInfinity polycounter lvl 11
    I'm about half way through it. Really liking it so far. It doesn't feel anything like MCU to me, which is a good thing. Feels more like a gritty Heroes with a smaller scope. 
  • ironbelly
    Offline / Send Message
    ironbelly polycounter lvl 9
    I watched ep 1 and 2, but I am not sure I will continue on. Something about it just isn't clicking for me.
  • cryrid
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Went through it in two sittings. I really liked it, Killgrave might have placed it above Daredevil for me. 
  • Mstankow
    Offline / Send Message
    Mstankow polycounter lvl 11
    I like how this show is so gritty it makes The Dark Knight look like Batman and Robin.
  • Matt Fagan
    Offline / Send Message
    Matt Fagan polycounter lvl 9
    Meh. I felt the 13 episodes were just dragged out. In summary, the 1st season could have been done in an hour and 45 min movie. Not very interesting if to compare to netflix's "Daredevil". Which was a great show spin for a Marvel character.
  • ThreeDale
    Offline / Send Message
    ThreeDale polycounter lvl 3
    Quite enjoying it. Like how dark it is in places... I agree with Matt though is doesn't quite live up to netflix's Daredevil but worth a watch while waiting for other shows!
  • Darth Tomi
    Offline / Send Message
    Darth Tomi polycounter lvl 12
    Watching Supergirl here.
  • ironbelly
    Offline / Send Message
    I advanced to episode 5 and really, I find I care less and less about Jessica Jones and more about Luke Cage. I mean, he's so freaking awesome... I could live without the vast volume of sex scenes (in general between any of the characters) though! I'll probably watch the rest only due to lack of anything better at the moment.
  • wizo
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    yup, such a slow start, like many of you guys, got hooked at mid-season. Kilgrave actor is outstanding, he was excellent in broadchruch aswell. overall worth watching : )
  • CandyStripes05
    Offline / Send Message
    Just finished ep 4 and my only complaints really are (not having read or knowing anything about this comic) where did the dumb name Killgrave come from? the last episode I watched they finally brought up her past somewhat, there was an accident and a building fell, but something about a green man? I thought they would clear up a bit more of her past sooner, hopefully they do eventually get to it otherwise I'm sitting here like wtf
  • iadagraca
    Offline / Send Message
    Main thing that bugs me is when regular humans are able to tackle or actually interrupt her movements. That's just odd when you see her throw people and lift cars. 

@ironbelly good news apparently he's getting a show of his own :smiley: 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luke_Cage_(TV_series)
  • slosh
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    Killgrave is his comic book name...he is actually known as Purpleman.  In any case, I finished the series a couple nights ago and I loved it.  Pretty much watched all of it in 2 days.  I would have liked a bit more backstory about the time she was under Killgrave's command but overall, loved the series.  I was a huge fan of DD and I liked this even more.  Can't wait for the Luke Cage series and whatever else is planned on Netflix's marvel lineup.
  • JimmyRustler
    Offline / Send Message
    JimmyRustler polycounter lvl 8
    Liked Darecevil, so i had to give this series a watch.
    First half felt like there was nothing special in it. It was slow as hell, but still intriguing.
    Latter half had me at the edge of my seat, i freaking loved it. 

Seriously, the other superheroes tv series out there can't hold no candle to the Netflix's ones. They seriously need to up their game.
  • slipsius
    I believe Daredevil s2 is coming out next, then Luke Cage s1. After Luke Cage is suppose to be The Iron Fist. But, they are apparently having trouble with that one. Those are the only 4 series they currently have planned, but rumour has it that the punisher is a huge part of daredevil s2, and the show runner would love for punisher to have his own show as well. So here's hoping!
  • Jakub
    Offline / Send Message
    Jakub interpolator
    Really like that series, watched it in two sittings. I was afraid that DD set bar way too high and Marvel might fail to deliver, but they've done a pretty good job. 

@CandyStripes05

That is a Marvel universe, the "green man" reference is to Hulk and first Avengers movie, "guy running with a flag" is most likely Captain America. 
  • Fuiosg
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    I've only watched 3 eps, but the only thing jarring to me was the references to The Avengers. Those movies are so over-the-top, like literally filmed comic books, whereas this feels more like a  drama with some supernatural elements. Still, quite liking it so far.
  • slipsius
    Ya, There are a lot of references to the avenger movies.
  • slosh
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    Netflix has an advantage since they can do pretty much whatever they want gorewise, sexwise, language wise since they aren't on any networks.  The mainstream cable network shows all have to be neutered to a certain degree.  That being said, they still write excellent shows and don't need crazy fx to make their shows amazing.  Can't wait for their next superhero series!
  • JacqueChoi
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    I think they need to stop referencing the avengers universe. It really takes it out of the realm of believability.

The show is great, and stands on its own. Name dropping the Hulk really cheapens the narrative the writers did such a great job of developing.

It's really silly to think somewhere in this world, Thor, Rocket Racoon, and Thanos exists.

• erroldynamic
    Offline / Send Message
    erroldynamic polycounter lvl 18

5 eps in and really enjoying it, kinda reminds me of the first season of Heroes. Agree that name dropping or referencing other stuff is unnecessary, it's more than capable standing on its own. If anything, just an interesting and entertaining show.

• low odor
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    it was ok.  I really  enjoyed Daredevil, but this was a weird mix of hokey and gore, with subplots for some awful, unlikable characters. Purpleman  was the only saving grace of the show.

Spoiler
    The fact that Purpleman did not just have Jessica kill someone to test if she was still immune at the end there,  was unforgivable- it was a crappy way to end a villain that had outsmarted her at every turn. I was sorely disappointed that she didn't rip his tongue out  either

I really hope they bring back the same intensity that DD had with Ironfist, and the Defenders- this was kind of  meandering, off kilter, and slow

• iadagraca
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor said:

Spoiler
    I agree with this completely. 
  • Daew
    Offline / Send Message
    Daew polycounter lvl 9

Spoiler
    "The fact that Purpleman did not just have Jessica kill someone to test if she was still immune at the end there,  was unforgivable- it was a crappy way to end a villain that had outsmarted her at every turn. I was sorely disappointed that she didn't rip his tongue out  either"

At the end when he told everyone to start killing each other, Jessica was the only one who didnt do as he told. Though why he didnt just take Patsy hostage earlier or tell the group to stop Jessica is beyond me.

edit: nvm, realized you are probably talking about even later when he was standing next to her. 

• bounchfx
    whoa whoa, luke is gonna get his own show? that's rad. He was my favorite character in this show.

I finished JJ the other day, and I enjoyed it. Sure it was 'slow' but I thought it was well done, and the acting was pretty good for the most part, especially kilgrave. I thought there were some moments I would have done differently but overall it was a good watch. I enjoyed that she was more of a detective than solving everything through brute strength, which was just more of an attribute rather than something that defined her completely.
  • EarthQuake
    Tried to watch this because David Tennant, got like 1.5 episodes in and had to shut it off. It's painfully slow and the writing is soap-opera bad. Is this one of those you have to be a fan of the comics to enjoy it situations? Does the writing get better later on?
  • slosh
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    Tried to watch this because David Tennant, got like 1.5 episodes in and had to shut it off. It's painfully slow and the writing is soap-opera bad. Is this one of those you have to be a fan of the comics to enjoy it situations? Does the writing get better later on?
    I never felt it was all that slow lol.  I pretty much went through it in 2 days haha.  I thought it definitely got better as it went on.  I don't think you are giving Tennant enough time if you stop that early IMO.  I mean he's barely even in the first couple episodes if I recall.
  • EarthQuake
    Yeah, Tennant was barely in what I saw. It was everyone else that made it hard to watch.
  • Fuiosg
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    Once you get past the super hero trappings it's a pretty quality show. It's essentially using genre to explore some intense stuff, like abusive relationships and rape. Tennant is especially good.
  • iadagraca
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg said:
    Once you get past the super hero trappings it's a pretty quality show. It's essentially using genre to explore some intense stuff, like abusive relationships and rape. Tennant is especially good.
    I can agree it handles those concepts well, and I really can't think of anything that's bothered to do that through an entire season. It's probably what I like the most is how that's handled in a way I haven't seen before. 

But I can't deny it's kinda got some unnecessary "meh" stuff, I personally don't think it's set up is as good as daredevil or others until like the second half in terms of the overall story. Maybe it felt cliche until then? Like characters not telling other characters things and not having a good enough reason, so it's clearly just to create drama kinda stuff?

Then there's fight choreography. I get it they're not "trained fighting characters", but it's mostly throwing and a lot of cutaway, it's not interesting to watch unless it involves Trish. So much lost opportunity there for some creative fights...

I hope next season improves on these areas. I also hope to see more "america fuck yeah" Nuke as well cause that kind of thing is funny,  cringeworthy and i love it.. 

• Shiniku
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    I really enjoyed it. I like Daredevil better, but that's probably just because.. well, I like Daredevil better as a character.

I also didn't think it was "slow" at all. I mean, it didn't have an action scene every ep like Daredevil, but in a world where Breaking Bad was such a huge success it always baffles me to see people complaining about shows being slow. Especially shows that prominently feature super strength and mind control. Maybe there's just an expectation for more action in something from Marvel.

Anyway, I dug it, and Purple Man is strangely enough one of the best Marvel Cinematic Universe villains to date. Which is funny considering he's such a lamewad in the comics (although I guess in recent years they have made him edgier, I'm accustomed to silver age purple man). It was cool seeing Nuke too, I actually didn't see the turn coming when they introduced the character, I didn't remember what Nuke's name was. 

The end was a little weird to me though. She has so many opportunities to kill the purple man through the whole show, but she kept fighting to do the heroic thing, keep him alive to prove the innocence of others. And at the end she just kills him. I mean, I get that they probably have enough evidence now, but honestly they probably had enough evidence a lot sooner. So it just kinda makes it feel like she made shitty choices either way. Either she should have found a way to be the hero and NOT kill him, or she shoulda killed him way sooner. But I guess it wouldn't have been much of a TV show then. Not a huge complaint, it's not bad, it just seems weird.  Also Luke Cage seemed a little too quick to seek out revenge murder based on my understanding of the character.

• ironbelly
    Offline / Send Message
    I broke down and finished this... and @shiniku I totally agree with your spoiler synopsis...

My own on the ending is below:

Absolutely Shiniku. She spends the entire first half of the show not wanting to kill him to achieve an objective that requires him alive. When that objective goes away she goes OUT OF HER WAY to not kill him until the last episode. We're talking about a villain who's vulnerable to BEING SHOT FROM FAR AWAY. Hell with her super strength she could have just THROWN SOMETHING AT HIM and killed him. Basically mid-season the entire show (which in my opinion wasn't all that great) just jumped the rails and went into nonsense land... which is a hell of a jump when we're talking about super hero fantasy land to begin with!) On the Nuke front - again - you have this guy who's like "IM GOING TO KILL KILLGRAVE" ... but he doesn't. He decides he wants to kill Jess and Trish instead? Wtf. Why? What was the motivation here? He wanted to kill the guy and he just never even tries to do it. Personal verdict: I give this series a 4/10. 3 of which is Luke Cage being awesome.