Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The Monthly HANDPAINT ArtJam | Autumn 2015 | Pumkins, Beer and Spices !

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Odow polycounter lvl 8
w8UR29zpng
Welcome to the Monthly Handpaint Art Jam !
WZxxeimpng

Noobs and Character Artists can have their challenge, so do we! However we've decide on keeping it simple and friendly, and instead of making it a challenge, we're making it an Art Jam. A place where Handpainter can exchange technique, critique and tricks.

We welcome any cartoon concept artist that would like to join us too !
jUYndhkpng
Each month we'll provide a thematic , it could be large or it could be stricter. There will be 3 categories: Props, character and environment. You're welcome to enter them all if you want ! You can also enter in the same category more than once. We also encourage tiling texture in the "props category"
8I7DygGpng

• There's no restriction on the software or technique you use. You're a free to use brush and bake map. Our goal here is to get better and share workflow. We won't accept any war between oldschool and newschool and what is handpaint.
  • The use of photo is strictly forbidden.
  • The use of heavily photobash brush is also forbidden. Remember the goal here is to PAINT.
  • The final output should only use diffuse, alpha and glow map. No Normal, spec or bump is allowed on the model itself. However using those map as a base for your painting is allowed.
  • This is an Art jam so don't use existing stuff, there's no point in it. Re-using asset is tolerate to a certain point, use your good sense.
  • Everything have to be your work, no stealing. Collab are allowed as long as your teammates are part of polycount !
  • You have to post WIP of your work, the main goal of this, is to learn, so no final product only.
  • We encourage you to post your texture map as well as the model
  • If you participate, you have to post at least a critique on someone else work.

lmlRIAPpng
Huuuum.. Do you smell it ? The cold wind, the dead leaf, the pumpkins, the spices, all those nice fragrance, winter is coming !!! No ? Damn i can't wait for snow.  Anyway it's cliché but who doesn't love a good cliché one in a while ! This months theme is: Autumn.

Characters: Could be a monster escaping from halloween ! Or even a coroner with his crow or maybe some cute kids in their halloween costume, adrunk eating sausages or it could also be your neighbour getting dressed for the cold weather. (in Canada it's really cold already)

Props: Beer, sausages, pumpkins, 13$ starbuck chai latte, candies !

Environment: do i really need to help you on this one ? :P Tree, coffee shop, cemetery, haunted house, old dusty library.

Replies

• Fenyce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fenyce polycounter lvl 11
    such a lovely theme... I don´t care that it's a cliché one! I really need to find some time to contribute something! <3
  • Odow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    Glad you like it
  • Odow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    Since there's a lack of motivation/time those days i'm going to make the challenge bitmonthly/seasonal.

Here's a small wip, october was a nolifebusy month for me and Tree of savior went beta last week so yeah.. >.< shame on me.
    It's still WIP, It's kinda hard to do a NEW tombstone, no crack, no damage, no moss, no dirt ;_; boring as hell !!

• pixelpatron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    Looks pretty good, needs damage, text, and thorny vines.
  • Odow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    Yeah text is coming up soon, however like i said, it's a new tombstone, so can't do damaga or vines on it, makes no sense.
  • Azaraen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Azaraen polycounter lvl 10
    Is this new? Starting November? The 1st post says October 1, 2015.  XD Oh i guess this post really has been open since October! I never saw this! 
  • garcellano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garcellano greentooth
    Oh man, it's so tempting to do one of these again!
  • JoseGR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoseGR polycounter lvl 5
    Sounds cool. I would like to take part but I got a question... There is no reference? Are we free to model and paint whatever we want as long as it's about winter/christmas??
  • Kamul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kamul polycounter lvl 4
    Oh man haven't found this challenge before in the forums, I'm tottaly going to join,  since I need to learn/improve my hand painting skills :)
  • Nistrum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nistrum polycounter lvl 9
    same. i was planning on doing daily hand painting stuff so this will fit perfectly
    :D
  • Odow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    It started in october but no one saw it ? :< So i'm making this a 2month thing.
    @josegr : It depends on the theme, some are strict other are really free like this one. You can do either a character, a creature, a props or a complete environment It's up to you !( where did you see xmas/winter O_o )

Oh yeah half the post was deleted.. No wonder no one participated ! The theme is Autumn, anything that make you think of autumn is fine, dead stuff, halloween, monster, octoberfest, chai latte etc is fine :> Because I'm a naughty girl and i'm in jail I can't edit the main post until 2 weeks.. So here's the theme.
    lmlRIAPpng
    Huuuum.. Do you smell it ? The cold wind, the dead leaf, the pumpkins, the spices, all those nice fragrance, winter is coming !!! No ? Damn i can't wait for snow to start falling. Anyway it's cliché but who doesn't love a good cliché one in a while ! This months theme is: Autumn.
    Characters: Could be a monster escaping from halloween ! Or even a coroner with his crow or maybe some cute kids in their halloween costume, adrunk eating sausages or it could also be your neighbour getting dressed for the cold weather. (in Canada it's really cold already)
    Props: Beer, sausages, pumpkins, 13$ starbuck chai latte, candies !
    Environment: do i really need to help you on this one ? :P Tree, coffee shop, cemetery, haunted house, old dusty library.

• Azaraen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ohhhhhhhhh!!!! Makes sense now.  Wow, i kept on looking for it to show up, but wow.... Great to see this back in action! (maybe not yet, but soon!)  And what did you do @Odow ??? XD
  • JoseGR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoseGR polycounter lvl 5
    Thanks @Odow !! Now I understand. Great idea :smile: 
    A bit busy at the moment but I will try to do something when I finish the game asset in which I'm working on.

• Odow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    @Evolvyn Language problem, i said something we commonly used from where i'm from and apparently it was unacceptable to say that in english and it's making violence abusive threat.. Anyway, Not the first time, people get really really angry at something that isn't mean that way, It's call the language barrier. Joe told me Adam was trying to unjailed me but it wasn't working :<  So right now i'm wearing the orange like a diva.

Edit: I'M FREEEEEEEEEEE

Anyway Back to art, I'm glad you like it 1 month later haha, can't believe i didn't realize that half the post was missing sooner. I should have some free time to paint tonight :> Really like my idea so i'm not dropping this >< even if i have to finish it in january haha
  • Bunnirobotcat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bunnirobotcat polycounter lvl 6
    yay im glad this is still going on! i will join in :) 
  • Odow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    A small wip plant for my diorama. It's crunch time at work and in family life. Also..

Also it's TREE OF SAVIORRRRRRRRRRRRRR BETAAAAAAA. (go check it out guys, it's made by the ragnarok online core team and it's the spiritual sucessor It's freaking beautiful, i wanna work on that game, bath in it, sleep in it, eat it, it's so prettyyyyyyy, ok i know i'm a total fangirl, i mean i've been waiting for this game for the past 8years at least.)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sayYpOhqJXg
  • Azaraen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Odow  Wow, that sucks! But yey for being free again! :D

So...To start this off. I will post some pictures from the Handpainter's Guild. A bunch of us are collaborating for this theme. A snow covered Torii scene. We broke it down by colors on who would be responsible for what:

(will include name of artist who created this concept when I get home!) Thanks to @Dennispls for modifying the scene for our winter purposes and broking down the scene into colors.

@Dennispls on the columns.
    @Lucak on the ground and rocks.
    @evolvyn on the lanterns.
    ----A few others who I will add here when they make their progress pics.

This is where we are now:

And I will be starting my texturing tonight on my lantern! This is where I'm at now: (its rather grey, lol!)

Others will be posting their own progress pictures. Unless they don't have an account here and don't feel like making one yet. (I'll try to convince them to come, lol)

Quick Shameless Plug, with Odow's blessings-  if any of you want to join our chatroom community on Slack, The Handpainter's Guild welcomes anybody who loves handpainting and just wants to asynchronously chat with other artists (and possibly work on arts together)! All skill levels welcome! Even lurkers who may not know how to handpaint textures. :)  

Just fill out the invite form: 
    http://goo.gl/forms/O8GMDLyr74 Thanks! (and thank you @Odow !)
  • Dennispls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dennispls polycounter lvl 16
    Odow said:
    A small wip plant for my diorama. It's crunch time at work and in family life. Also..

Also it's TREE OF SAVIORRRRRRRRRRRRRR BETAAAAAAA. (go check it out guys, it's made by the ragnarok online core team and it's the spiritual sucessor It's freaking beautiful, i wanna work on that game, bath in it, sleep in it, eat it, it's so prettyyyyyyy, ok i know i'm a total fangirl, i mean i've been waiting for this game for the past 8years at least.)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sayYpOhqJXg

I love your leafs! Nice warm autumn colors. More of this please!

• Odow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    Thank you ^-^ Don't have much free time, crunch crunch crunch, and yesterday i hurt my wrist at the dentist, not sure i will be able to paint this week end. I'll finish this even if i need to die haha
  • TomGT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomGT polycounter
    @odow: Great job on those leaves!

@evolvyn: That is pretty sweet how you guys are doing a collab! The scene concept looks cool, and it looks like it will translate well.
  • Edgar T
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Edgar T interpolator
    Nice initiative. I'm ready for a falling in love once and again... so do your best dudes!
  • Azaraen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Getting there! It's always hard to start. I'm thinking of doing a paintover (or a separate painting all together) to get a better idea of the forms and play with different stone details.
  • Azaraen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Progress from tonight's art stream on twitch!
  • AavaChan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AavaChan polycounter lvl 6
    Oh nice thread! Haven't been on polycount for awhile and saw this. If i have some time left from work I will join in as well
  • emptyslot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    emptyslot polycounter lvl 11
    This is a category perfect for me! too bad im all busy with my own game... But love the inspiration! =)
  • Dennispls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dennispls polycounter lvl 16

Here is a single view of the pillar in its current state
  • Azaraen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More progress! Plan to finish by tomorrow night!
  • AavaChan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AavaChan polycounter lvl 6
    I like your progress on the lamp post and lantern. I googled some images and i think it would improve the stone lantern if you added some icicles/drops to the underside of the roof. 

Same with the wooden lamp post, it would look nice if it had some more snow on the pole. 

• Odow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    Small Pumpkin wip,

Don't worry i have forgot next challenge, Since it's going to be a season one this time, i'm going to start it on mid-december, and don't worry the theme won't be Xmas or winter :P
  • Azaraen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AavaChan said:
    I like your progress on the lamp post and lantern. I googled some images and i think it would improve the stone lantern if you added some icicles/drops to the underside of the roof. 

Same with the wooden lamp post, it would look nice if it had some more snow on the pole. 

Aw, thats a really good idea!! I'll add a bit of geo to get that. This is what I have so far!

• Odow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    This was meant to be a much bigger scene but with crunch time and Tree of savior i kinda procrastinated and now that I have time, I really don't like my concept anymore it need some more work so for now i just slap everything that i've made so far together.

I went for a more vague painterly style in which i only wanted to paint plants haha.

I'm gonna put that aside and start working on the winter challenge during my vacation :>

• Azaraen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    model
    This is finally ready! Had to do some edits to make it look consistent, but we finally did it! Our collaboration from the HandPainters Guild!

Credits:

Rocks and Ground: https://www.artstation.com/artist/lucak

Roof: https://www.artstation.com/artist/michaelklimenko

Torii Pillars: https://www.artstation.com/artist/dennispls

Wood Beam: https://www.artstation.com/artist/pieronnis

Lantern: https://www.artstation.com/artist/evolvyn