Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Star Wars Ion Grenade

Please give me some tips on how I can make this better. Thanks in advance  :)

Here is the reference image:

Replies

• TheKlu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheKlu polycounter lvl 8
    I would damage it in most parts. The top part is too clean, but otherwise it's great!
  • vincentvangeel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vincentvangeel polycounter lvl 4
    At first glance it looks pretty good, but if you look closer in detail you can see quite a lot of differences from your reference.

- First off, like Theklu said, it misses the damage from your reference. The scratches give a lot of realism to the end result. I especially like the scraped off square pattern at the bottom of your reference. You can also add more dirt in the grooves to seperate the different parts more. 
    - You also missed a few details, like for example the screws of the handle panel and the top of the round button. 
    - And last but not least, a lot of your proportions are a bit off. In comparison to the reference, your grenade is pretty chubby, your vertical lines on the two rings are way too small, your handle is too thin and long, your handle panel is too flat make it more pop out.

I'm really looking forward to see the final result.
  • CrazyMan09
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys. Completely agree with everything.

I am excited to make the changes and will post the new result when done.
  • xChris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xChris polycounter lvl 9
    Hey man! You're off to a good start, here's me chiming in with some feedback. 

1. Tint of red is off to the reference, also feels like a hard plastic instead of a scratched up deep red metal.
    2. Looking at this bump and the reference, it looks like you need to make this about 40% bigger, it'll probably help out with it being to noise too. It also looks like there's rust at the bottom of it from the reference, that would be some nice variation to add in!
    3. I can see the hard edges here, soften them out, cause they're clashing too much with the smaller detail you have, the ridges also need to be in there as well.
    4.  Proportion is off, looks thinner and a bit taller in the reference. 
    5. Make these three different types of metal feel different from each other in your roughness/metallic map, hopefully your using substance? If not, look into it!
    6. This side panel detail needs to be defined some more. Pull it out some more, in the reference it doesn't look so flat. Also add dirt!
    7. Widen up the ridges a bit more, as it looks a little noisy here too. I can see some dirt overlayed in there as well, but its not doing much for the roughness, this goes back to (6) as well. 

Edit: Didn't add it in the pic above, but the black round indents look to be more glossy than the rest of the materials in the reference!
  • FreneticPonies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FreneticPonies polycounter lvl 3
    I'd agree with Xchris, all your textures feel like they're scaled too small. It's hard to tell on your images what the bottom and top "rims" (7) are even supposed to be. The metal also doesn't feel corroded enough, the ref looks like it's been sitting around for a few years, yours looks a bit too like a render that hasn't even been manufactured yet.