Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hand-painted Mount for Blizzard Art Contest!

ngon master
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
beccatherose ngon master
WooHOO. I still have some critique to apply to this sucka, but this is my amphibious mount for the Blizzard Art Contest! I'm very excited to finalize the mesh, the presentation, and application so that I can finally step back and move on to the next project :) C&C is always welcome.

I'm currently planning on making the spikes bigger and pushing the armor on his forehead to have a bit better of a silhouette, but I have until mid-January to polish.

See him on Sketchfab! (The embed option isn't working, I'll try in the comments.)

Replies

• BrainFood
    Hey Beccatherose,

The idea is creative and I quite like it. However, I'd have to say that the colors look a tad desaturated and dull. There appears to be an overall lack of fine detail in your textures with detail density inconsistencies as with the nozzle/head verses the saddle. The fine details can take you a long way! Good luck though!
  • Rynosauras
    Offline / Send Message
    Rynosauras polycounter lvl 7
    Look's awesome!
    Been watching your progress in ten thousand hours (it was that or level up can't remember)
    Really loving your texture work except it really needs that extra push, if you look at stuff that has been done by blizzard artist they keep the detail very consistent unless there is a focal point which for you would be the head/saddle, the saddle is great but the head could use some more work.

The head seem's quite dark compared to the rest of the scene when i take your image into photoshop and look at in black and white which really diverts my attention from it, maybe try putting a gradient up from the feet so they aren't brighter than the head as well as another gradient from the tail so it doesn't catch so much, then again if you are trying to model this as if it were meant to be in game and not just for show what you've done makes a little sense as it will be seen from behind, but the face still definitely needs to be lighten up and made more interesting, war paint could be something really fun to add on, give it a bit of a tribal feel as it already feels very horde like from your saddle.

But anyway this is amazing work so far so just play around with the contrast of your textures to make things pop more, make sure you are switching between black and white to see those values! :smiley: 
  • beccatherose
    Offline / Send Message
    beccatherose ngon master
    Thanks, guys! I'll take that all into account!
  • beccatherose
    Offline / Send Message
    beccatherose ngon master
    BrainFood said:
    Hey Beccatherose,

The idea is creative and I quite like it. However, I'd have to say that the colors look a tad desaturated and dull. There appears to be an overall lack of fine detail in your textures with detail density inconsistencies as with the nozzle/head verses the saddle. The fine details can take you a long way! Good luck though!
    I actually had a lot smaller details, but I was recommended to smoothen some out so that they'd be more readable in game. But I'll work on the detail densities for sure!
  • Dethling
    Offline / Send Message
    Dethling polycounter lvl 11
    The skin texture definity needs the last "push".
    If you take the quality of the whole model similar to the saddle this would be a good step.
    I would try to take a look at the riverbeast mount ingame for "skin details".
    It has a very similar feeling regarding mass and body to sattle ratio.

Beside of this really nice work

• beccatherose
    Offline / Send Message
    beccatherose ngon master
    @Dethling
    Thanks so much!! I'll definitely check that out, that mount has fantastic design :)
  • Stavaas
    Offline / Send Message
    Stavaas polycounter lvl 3
    Nice! Really digging the look you're going for! Loving the stuff on your Artstation as well, especially the otters!
  • beccatherose
    Offline / Send Message
    beccatherose ngon master
    Thanks so much, @Stavaas! Glad you like them! 
  • beccatherose
    Offline / Send Message
    beccatherose ngon master
    @jarsef  Thanks so much! This is all very very helpful. 
  • linwail
    Offline / Send Message
    linwail polycounter lvl 5
    Haha cute! I would use this mount