Home Technical Talk

Bootcamping Mac Pro -worth it? Cons?

vbaguirov
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
vbaguirov polycounter lvl 2
Hi all,

What are the major cons of getting a almost new Mac pro bootcamped? I wanna get started with Oculus DK2, but it's not supported on mac for now. Is it worth waiting for it to come out on Mac or just bootcamp my mac pro?

How will it impact the Mac Pro's performance

Thanks!

Replies

• echofourpapa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    echofourpapa polycounter lvl 4
    My former workstation was an 27" Bootcamped iMac.  I had no issues with(other than my 3D workstation was an iMac... *sigh*), everything worked fine accept for the audio jack.  It only did audio out, and the mic was disabled.  Also the Thunderbolt ports aren't true mini-displayport(even though they are the same form factor), so that caused some minor issues but nothing major, you just need the Apple adapters.

If you are talking about a current gen Mac Pro can, it should be fine, my only problem with the new ones is the lack of Nvidia GPUs.
  • vbaguirov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vbaguirov polycounter lvl 2
    My former workstation was an 27" Bootcamped iMac.  I had no issues with(other than my 3D workstation was an iMac... *sigh*), everything worked fine accept for the audio jack.  It only did audio out, and the mic was disabled.  Also the Thunderbolt ports aren't true mini-displayport(even though they are the same form factor), so that caused some minor issues but nothing major, you just need the Apple adapters.

If you are talking about a current gen Mac Pro can, it should be fine, my only problem with the new ones is the lack of Nvidia GPUs.

Thanks!