Home Technical Talk

Is topogun or quixel suite worth it?

YellowYeti
vertex
Offline / Send Message
YellowYeti vertex
So simple question, just wondering since i keep seeing about them, just is topogun or quixel suite worth buying? Or are they unnecessary, i'd like to know opinions on them and what you guys think of them. Thanks!

Replies

• armagon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    armagon polycounter lvl 11
    I would buy Quixel just because of NDO. It's amazing.
  • echofourpapa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    echofourpapa polycounter lvl 4
    I really like Quixel a lot.  If you are doing any PBR work then something like Quixel or Substance is extremely helpful.  Like Armagon said, NDO is fantastic for working with normal maps.  

If you are interested in a tool that can do both PBR painting and re-topo work, check out 3D Coat.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    For PBR and retopology I prefer 3D-Coat. Also a fan of Substance Designer.
    Quixel last I tried was very unstable (this may change with the new 2.0 release).
    Topogun I think stopped being developed several years ago (the last update on their homepage was from Oct 2012).
  • RasmusBagner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RasmusBagner polycounter lvl 6
    Hello there. I can very much recommend Quixel. It may be a bit hard to understand and get good maps at first, but it´s all worth it when you learn it. I am currently a beta tester for Quixel 2 and it´s already pretty damn stable. But i would just say try Substance and Quixel and see what you like the most. They are both very good platforms, with pros and cons. Hope that help :)
  • YellowYeti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YellowYeti vertex
    Oh thanks for the replies guys! I'll definitely check out quixel then, and i do have substance. And it seems i should check out 3D-coat as well.
  • jhoythottle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jhoythottle polycounter lvl 7
    I would say if you are more of an organic modeler, skip Quixel and Topogun is a must.  Topogun is a very free form retop tool, so I don't think it would be as great for props/environments.  That's just my opinion.  I use it all the time for character work and I love it.  

Also, if you work on characters and organic assets, Quixel doesn't offer a lot of solutions in that department.  My experience with Quixel wasn't great.  It was always crashing, and every change you make requires computing.  It heavily relies on Photoshop and it just felt a little weak compared to Substance Painter.  I would very much recommend substance painter/designer.  
  • YellowYeti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YellowYeti vertex
    Oh thanks jhoythottle, for now i'm thinking of focusing more on environments/props because i heard it's easier to land a job in that department haha, but i do plan on learning how to character model because that is more fun to me (even though i'm no good at it now :P