Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Feedback??

vertex
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
HantoH vertex
Hello..
My name is Anthony. I'm an Irish 3d character/game artist and Illustrator. But I'm finding it hard to find paid work in the game industry or even any kind of 3d paid work. I can't afford to work for nothing and I was wondering if I could get some feedback or a critique of my work from somebody experienced in the game industry. I feel I need some advise as I'm kind of losing hope.

This is my showreel  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1OcnjDSRcY

Thank you in advance.. :smile: 

Replies

• Seraphinn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seraphinn polycounter lvl 4
    I can throw my 2 cents into the ring here but obviously there are far more experienced people out there to hopefully give you feedback.

1. I would drastically change the font of your titles, at times its hard to read and the lime green background makes life worse.

2. The illustration work is great, but I would think a picture portfolio with nice big high res images would better suit than a quick pan down/up.

3. Your character designs are cool, showcase them a bit more, do some nice sheets, with back/side/front view with a nice posed concept. Again ideally in a picture portfolio rather than video, as the panning doesnt give you the whole image.

4.  3D Work - The cube on its own gives no indication of its environment or purpose - the textures need a boost aswell but without an environment or setting I cant really say i.e. Frozen future base - add some snow on top or ice, add some scuff marks scratches. It spins wayyyyy too fast too. Also if its a storage crate - why no opening/locking mechanism?

5. The guys walk cycle needs some work its way to fast and frozen like hes limbs are stiff, add in a nice strut to fit the characters personality

6. The motorbike could use some textures, if it was a high poly it could probably survive without, but lowpoly without any texture info, I would remove

7. The head looks great, to improve it id make a nice little stand for it and block it in to make like a real life sculpture style bust.

8. The full done guy I would of posed and put on some sort of base to fit his environment. He's the bicyclist i assume so I would make a bike and a mountainous road little diorama  

Just in general and not specific to anything, theres about 10 seconds of dead black space you could of used to put contact details. If not cut it and have them on screen at all times, along with any necessary info on finished models - texture sizes-polycounts etc. But most definately your name and email at very least all the time so people can grab it without having to find a set point.

Hope this is helpful and does not demotivate you, i know it does to me even when i ask for crits :D
  • HantoH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HantoH vertex
    That's really helpful @Seraphinn Thank you I needed that.. My mates are great but they never say anything helpful. Brute honesty is really refreshing.. I'm gona work on that now.. I know parts of it are kind of sloppy and some it is a bit rushed but outside opinions are always welcome. Game art is not easy to get into. Competition is insane.. I do love it though. Thanks man.. :smiley: 
  • YdoUwant2know
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YdoUwant2know polycounter lvl 7
    Your work is not bad... However, your reel sucks.  

If you want to get work as a 3d artist, don't make me watch 2 minutes of 2d before you show me any 3d at all, and DO NOT lead off with a crappy box with crappy textures. 

Show me your BEST work first for the job you want. So If you want to work as a 3d Artist show me your best  3d first.  Don't make me wait for it.
  • HantoH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HantoH vertex
    HAHA.. @YdoUwant2know That's brilliant.. Cheers for that.. Needed a laugh.. :smiley: