Home Quixel Megascans

ANSWERED: Creating tiling textures in dDo

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Anthy9986 polycounter lvl 7
I haven't used dDo in a while but I thought in an older version I was able to keep my textures tiling. Currently I am finding my layer masks don't tile are area going to create some noticeable seams. Am I missing a check box somewhere here or do I need to go and edit all of the masks to make sure they tile?

Replies

• Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    Hey Anthy9986, do you mind uploading an image of the problem you're describing? It would help us troubleshoot this issue.
  • Anthy9986
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sure no problem :) I am 99% sure I am just doing something wrong lol. It has been a while since I have used dDo and nDo. So when I use a mask it is creating obvious seams is it an issue of the normal or AO I start with? That is my only idea.

nvyG6AH.jpg

cAAJfHO.jpg
  • loggie24
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    loggie24 polycounter lvl 3
    The reason is the mask tiling. Masks and Megascans samples are from what i know 1k, meaning if you are making a 2k texture it will tile 4x filling up the 2k space. Go into the "more options" tab in dynamask and change the scale on the different slots making the mask (mainly primary texture and secondary texture).

I just realized i might have misunderstood the question (?). If it's the big white seam i see on the picture it usually is the AO that is causing it. Disabling it in dynamask is the only way to find out.
  • Anthy9986
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool I will check it out. I tiled it in the viewer to better show the tiling. My issue is that I can see the seams on the borders I didn't know if that was a problem caused my normal or ao or if it was something in dDo I could change.
  • loggie24
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    loggie24 polycounter lvl 3
    It could be the AO but also the mask itself. Try tiling only your AO, if you see a similarity that's your problem.

A common problem when baking out tileables is that people don't have any geometry around the sculpt. Since AO is a height/depth render, if one side has more depth than the other it will create clear differences. Hopefully that was clear and understandable.
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    That white edge could also be a result of the curvature map settings in the Dynamask for that layer, because there's a corresponding black zone tiling horizontally. As loggie24 wrote, don't hesitate to play with the AO settings! Or try converting your normal map to a height map and possibly use that for masking as well when you reimport it, assuming you're not using height currently. :)
  • Anthy9986
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree I think it is from the curvature map. The AO does have a seam that I need to fix. Currently not using a height map but I will try that out thanks guys :)
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    Hey, Anthy9986! How did this work out for you? :)
  • armagon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    armagon polycounter lvl 11
    Quick question: did you just import a plane and started creating a smart material for it?
  • Anthy9986
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @armagon
    I modeled a high poly of the terracotta tiles and baked down the info into a low poly mesh. That pic was just using the plane viewer in 3Do. I didn't triangulate my low poly mesh so viewing it on that mesh in 3Do was broken. 
    @Synaesthesia
    I was able to mess around with the curvature map and remove a lot of the seams. That seemed to be the issue. I think I need to watch a few more videos on Ddo and Ndo first as I seem to be missing some things. Currently I am running into textures not always showing up on the normal map. Like I set a smart material for the brick and it doesn't add any information to the Normal. If I mess with the scale it sometimes appears but then will disappear while I am working.

• Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    I think you'll enjoy 2.0 significantly more than 1.8 if you plan to continue creating tiling textures. Get ready for it! :smile: