Home News

Unlimited Detail... soon.

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
adam polycounter lvl 19

Euclideon, after a year out of the limelight, are back with another demonstration of where their unlimited detail technology is at.

Euclideon is showing off their in-progress technology that dismisses polygons as a visual measurement for videogames. As game artists, how do you feel about the possibility of moving away from the polygonal world?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00gAbgBu8R4

Replies

• cox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cox polycounter lvl 10
  • Guy123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, jumping on that SDK the day it releases!
  • Zoidburg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    that is NUTS! HD Zbrush models straight into in-game art? hell's yeah!! have to wonder how they will do rigged characters with this tech :D
  • Tehrasha
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tehrasha polycounter lvl 11
    I was going to comment about the lack of lighting/shadows until he got to the end of the video. Other than that, it looks awesome and I am sure the tech behind it will make my brain hurt.
  • LATTEH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    honestly this is very impressive, but animation and things like that are gonna be impossible
  • kylehorne3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kylehorne3d polycounter lvl 9
    I hope this works, that would be amazing. There is the problem of people just copying everything, instead of taking artistic approaches to creating their own ideas. If the goal is realism there will be plenty of sims. Lets hope we don't have to get reference on the molecular level. Still super excited about this.
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    Wait a sec. People are forgeting some things here, memory and animation. How would textures run on this? How editable would that be? How can you do UV's? How can you manage blending, color verts and other specifics? How would you export the art for this? There are tons of issues I can see, but I'm still wondering how they are managing these things.
  • jimmypopali
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really interesting to see their work flow and details on how it's done.
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    How do textures work?
    How does animation work?
    How does physics work?

A hell of a lot is left out. Its a cool tech demo... but im saying cautiously suspicious.
  • Razgriz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Razgriz keyframe
    This strikes me as exactly the same as the video they released a while ago. I'm still suspicious. Why is this video directed towards a the laymen, and not graphics engineers? I don't know anything about graphics programming, but if you have to explain what a polygon is and what their limitations are, it makes me think that theres a reason that the entire industry as well as anybody who actually knows the nitty gritty of this stuff haven't jumped all over it.
  • Danielmn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Danielmn polycounter lvl 13
    Its very interesting if he can pull this off
    From his past reputation though I give it about a 10% chance we will see anything technical or an much less an SDK by the end of the year.

And about 5% percent chance we will see a of any game of any value out for at least a year til two yrs after that.

Even the previous video looked like just a whole buch of instancing with just one object, we can do that know especially with one light and not that accurate of shadows and no reflection and no texture but hey maybe thats why it took him another year when he realized that
  • DeathFlail
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very cool.
    I'm also wondering about some of the things that have been left out. The biggest one for me is storage. How many megs is that elephant.. or one of those rocks?

Either way very exciting stuff. Can't wait to see more. Time to make Myst again :P
  • chriszuko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chriszuko polycounter lvl 12
    Alright... we need a 1.3 million poly rock by Wednesday, do you think that you can manage with that limit?
  • jimmypopali
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If this is a fast workflow, would it be more suited to screen?
  • MonkeyMHz
  • pthomas1172
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pthomas1172 polycounter lvl 10
    Please dont get too excited until you see lighted, animating characters, particles, and an editor just to name a few. Sorry for being a downer but Voxels ARE awesome but can be limited to us game developers.
  • artsymptom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't like the lighting at all, but maybe if they put artists to make more awesome stuff, putting animations, how texturing works, etc, that would be awesom.
  • Zoidburg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @LATTEH people said that what they have achieved now was unbelievable and fake a lil over a year ago. they can work something out to rig up and animate this stuff lol :D
  • SanderDL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SanderDL polycounter lvl 7
    I'm not sure about this. Notice how everything is super tile based. All the models have their own patch it seems.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Urbanmelon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Urbanmelon polycounter lvl 7
    Even if this particular engine never ends up running a game, the principle of voxels taking over polygons is something that will happen sooner or later, id Software is already thinking about it ( http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/John-Carmack-id-Tech-6-Ray-Tracing-Consoles-Physics-and-more ), and as far as 3D technology goes, they always have been the most innovative.

ZBrush also uses point-based data (pixols) which is why it can handle dozens of millions of "polygons" (ever wonder why you can only see the "point" count?), so this tech has proven its performance advantage over polygon based-tech. I mean this is why regular 3D apps have a hard time with hi-def ZBrush exports -- they can only display polygons.

It's too bad though that we don't have more info on the performance side of things: Ok, 20FPS, but on what kind of hardware ? How much memory does a model+texture take ? Is the texture information stored per voxel also (which would improve efficiency) ? How are they planning to do animation ?
  • build.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    build. polycounter lvl 11
    Very cool but it raises much more questions than answers, I really don't expect to see fully voxel powered games anytime in the near future.
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    @Urbanmelon: partly right. The other reason, as I recall, is that zbrush only updates the points that are actively being rendered and sculpted. You can still hit performance slowdowns with large edits at high subd levels. Its a combination of caching, smart redraw, and their higher bitcount pixels. Max, maya, etc redraw EVERYTHING in frame every frame.

The storage and memory issues were the first question I wondered about. So far everything they've shown has been heavily instanced.

Shall wait and see.
  • MonkeyMHz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This seems great of course it will take time to adapt this. But id love to jump on cutting edge stuff,

point-clouds/voxels don't really fair well for character animation. They would be limited to static geo, moving stuff like characters could still be polygons, but just a higher count. A 100,000 polygonal character in a super detailed environment would look awesome!.

Stuff isn't going to jump to this like tomorrow, but over time it is kinda the way the future is heading. Right now the industry imo, is quite far behind were it should be.
  • MrOneTwo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrOneTwo polycounter lvl 12
    Its fun to watch technology growing. Don't know if it will be new realtime rendering standard. One way or another its progress. Even if its not THE NEW solution it will move us forward. And it looks cool :D
  • Urbanmelon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Urbanmelon polycounter lvl 7
    @Vailias: Yes, that's right, that's why you can see artefacts when you sculpt with Polyframe on. But as far as I know, when you rotate around your model the whole thing has to be redrawn. In my experience, ZBrush has always been much,
    much faster than regular 3D packages.

For those that want to know how voxels actually work, their advantages and limitations : http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/voxel-ray-casting,2423.html
  • IchII3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IchII3D polycounter lvl 12
    It would be interesting to see how they deal with dynamic objects, i.e. character animation etc... Although still, very impressive stuff and nice to see them exploring future tech!
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    What a huge troll play, lol.
  • longhornfan25
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really cool! Cant wait to see what they do with this and release a sdk, though that will probably be in a another 2 years
    But like everyone else said, there are still a lot of unanswered questions. Storage, texturing, memory, etc...
    Also how would water work?? Seems that they still have quite a lot of work in head of them.
    But still awesome to see that people are continuing to innovate!
  • bgoodsell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    To repeat skepticism, game engines are far more than just geometry pushing engines. The array of technology and limited resources always make cool stuff like this get watered down in the end result. It would be cool to see how using this tech idea is able to impact gaming, especially consoles where resources are more budgeted.

Still, if it gets rid of grass cards in games it'll be considered a success in my book.
  • CastorPT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CastorPT polycounter lvl 9
    This is why I love our industry! Always trying stuff out. It might not work at all or it might revolutionize the way we do games and in one year we will be laughing on the old ways. Can't wait to see how it will turn out.
    I imagine only environments at the start would use this kind of tech... But indoors? And dynamic lighting? Lets see...
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Point Cloud Animation, similar to vertex animation but with a lot more points. It would probably be smarter to mix and match technology. They have point cloud animation tests they've done with small objects. I doubt you could do much on the fly animation with point cloud data, things like animation blending and rag dolls would be insanely complex.

Right now they don't... But given he's a bit of a "real atom" zealot I would expect him to take this to the next level otherwise he'll have to fake it like everyone else is doing. There is a serious danger in trying to recreate the world atom for atom in 3D while forsaking everything else that goes into making the world of a game.
  • beta_channel
  • AlanSMitchell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlanSMitchell polycounter lvl 14
    my mind has been exploded.
  • SouthpawSid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouthpawSid polycounter lvl 7
    @ beta_channel^^

OH SH#&!
  • Ryan Smith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryan Smith polycounter lvl 11
    Yea Notch hti the nail on the head here... this video fails to mention several problematic factors and reads more like a :HEY LOOK WHAT I DID" video more than anything.
  • mdeforge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mdeforge polycounter lvl 14
    To those who are cautiously suspicious, that's fine, but I think it's a good thing to remember that, with a change like this, there's probably going to be some big changes in the way you do things. I know you guys understand that, but I guess I'm just not seeing it in the responses. Who knows how UV mapping or Animation will be done, but I'm assuming it's a whole new way of doing things. Maybe not though. Either way, it's cool and I can definitely see it being the future.

As far as why they are addressing the general populous and not engineers is... well, if your company was producing the tech of the future, would you want to tip your hand too early or later? They are generating hype in the populous that buy's games. This will steer the industry much more, I feel, than development studio's looking at it and saying, "Eh, it's cool, but it's a lot of changes. We have a way of doing things now that works, so thanks, but not right now." Seems smart to me.
  • mdeforge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mdeforge polycounter lvl 14
    Notch had some good points. I guess I just don't see the point in shooting down new tech before we know everything about it. Like I said, cautiously suspicious? Fine. I'm not saying this is perfect tech by any means, but if anything, we should be supporting this innovation not booing it. Although it doesn't help the guy seems to be conveniently hiding it's weaknesses. It does sound like they are working on it though.

My point is, it's new tech. Every time new tech comes around, it has it's challenges and people have their doubts. Early adopters almost always get burned, so it's nature to hold back. But seriously... how about some applause for progress?
  • JonathanF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JonathanF polycounter lvl 13
    @Stradigos - agreed!

This is forward thinking! what ALL of us should be doing. Yes lots of stuff not answered! BUT, because of this, someone else out there may know how to help them with those issues. We would had never progressed were we are today if someone said "no you can't do that, thats impossible, our hardware can't handle that for another 100 years!"..... guys.. its only be 26 years sense the NES! I dont see why a jump like this is not possible. Keep an open mind! instead of seeing the problems, become a problem solver and see how they could fix those issues. And don't assume anything! we don't know that they are only showing us the tip of the ice burg or not. Lets build them up with encouragement!... not tear them down.... So theres my two cents on this.

Great work Euclideon! Can't wait to see what else you surprise us with!
  • beta_channel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beta_channel polycounter lvl 7
    @JonathanF

My problem doesn't steam from anything that they are showing. My problems come from how they are toting this as new tech, when it isn't. It has been done before.
    AMD and Intel can and would support this tech if it were viable for what needs to be done for games. They have a lot of money that they can throw around for R&D. These guys are looking for money from outside investors. And instanced geo does not make the game. I do applaud them for what they have done, but saying that their tech is what will change games is extremely naive.
    Time will tell, I hope I'm wrong, but I wouldn't call myself an optimist either.
  • r4ptur3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r4ptur3 polycounter lvl 10
    This technology has been around since digital scanning ... so ... 14 years? Sure, voxel based tech is powerful but let's see some post effects, shadows, reflections, variety of shaders and animation at a solid 30. I'll believe it when I see it.
  • JonathanF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JonathanF polycounter lvl 13
    @Beta_channel

yeah, its for sure not for them to make any claim of this being new tech. I have seen the old videos from what has been done before. But it does seem like they have taken it to a whole new level. As well seems like they are actually able to continue pushing this tech with more funds.
  • MonkeyMHz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea I agree with notch.

But i think some people are a bit harsh, but the guy does annoy me his whole "Look at this", the lighting is pure garb at the moment it seems. We will see if they deliver on their so called SDK in a few months. lol?.
  • ericlash22
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is a website with some more info a friend had shown me on this system. Its something you should look at.
    http://notch.tumblr.com/
  • NthSimulacrum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "Sure you can make an island out of a zillion voxels, but should you?" Jeff Goldblum

Cubic Pixels are all very well, but can they do a better job for a lower computational cost than texture mapped polys? In gun-toting space marine game 97, do you really need every grain of dirt modelled?

Also, if you want UNLIMITED DETAILl, I think you'll find that Tesseractic Pixels ( or Tesels) are the way to go.
  • Jbird
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jbird polycounter lvl 7
    Interesting to see how this develops, still a lot of questions that needs answering.
  • cupsster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cupsster polycounter lvl 11
    Saw it aprox one year before.. :D
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    @cupsster - They mention that in the video. You hadn't seen this particular video 1 year ago.
  • Seraph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seraph polycounter lvl 8
    No one really likes change. Still, I hope it is easy enough to sculpt/convert over rig etc. That's really going to be the test, how to implement. Super exciting though!
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    Excellent, simply excellent.