Home Big News

Brawl Contest: And the WINNERS are...

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
adam polycounter lvl 19

Wow. Here we are, announcing the Brawl Contest WINNERS. 1st Place! The very top of the top!

I'm pretty excited right now. For us, doing our first 'contest' on our own was a big deal and, after writing these announcements for the past week, I can finally feel confident that it was a success. How do I know it was a success? From the TON of support you guys gave the contest and everyone who entered it.

You guys really are the best 3D art community out there.

As you may remember, the judges were sent the Top 5 FIGHTERS and Top 5 STAGES as voted on by the Polycount Community. From there, they rated the entries in 3 areas: Artistic Achievement, Technical Achievement, and Brief Criteria. The points were tallied and our winners were decided. In the event of a tie, we referenced the public vote and the Fighter or Stage with the most amount of votes was given the win.

The 1st Place winners!

1st Place FIGHTER: Bogdanbl4's Cammy!

The judges comments:

Chris George:

Technical Achievement

This Cammy model is very skillfully constructed and textured. The mesh is clean, efficient, and appears to deform well. The UVs appear to be very efficient. I see very little wasted space in the UV set. All of the little accessories fit together seamlessly. I had to knock off a point for the solid chunk of hair. It doesn’t match the level of detail given to the rest of the model, and it doesn’t fall within the art style for this particular piece, in my opinion. I would’ve liked to have seen some strips and possibly some alpha in her ponytail to match the realism of the rest of the model.

Artistic Achievement
I absolutely love this redesign. There is so much life and realism in her face.  She almost seems British somehow, just from looking at her face. The many different materials were executed perfectly. Great color map, and appropriate specular.

Brief Criteria
What’s especially cool about her is that it looks exactly like Cammy and nothing like Cammy at the same time. The costume is very cohesive. I could see this character in a future Street Fighter game.

Vitaliy Naymushin:

Technical Achievement
Technically this model is impeccable, There's tons of really awesome details, everything is very clean and perfect looking. As far as technical stuff goes this model is up there with the best of them!

Artistic Achievement
It looks like a lot of work went into this character and a lot of the individual parts look really great, I'm really blown away by the craftsmanship of this entry, its top notch. That said I think the final asset could have been better as a whole. Its really lacking contrast, I'm not fond of the skin, and the lighting and the presentation of the character as a whole could have been much better. Its a great entry and one of the best but i think it could have been much better.

Brief Criteria
As far as fitting the brief I think it did a good job, its definitely Cammy but its also definitely different and a unique interpretation. I think overall its just not as remarkable as the original character.

Hanno Hagedorn:

Technical Achievement
Good poly distribution, good textures and good use of shaders.

Artistic Achievement
Great Sculpt, great details, Good rhythm and appeal.

Brief Criteria
Not too risky but still very appealing.

1st Place STAGE: JordanW's Bathhouse!

The judges comments:

Ryan Monday:

Technical Achievement
The materials and lighting on this is simply amazing. You can just feel the steam and humidity in this environment, and the wetness on the floor is spot on making an otherwise simple floor an interesting space for the fighters to use as a stage.

Artistic Achievement
The artist(s) was able to take a very simple concept and idea and make it a stunning piece of art. The artist(s) also took it a step further and added life to the scene by adding characters. The scene overall is a bit over bloomed for my liking but it does help sell the steam in the room. Also the use of well done masks/gobos for the lights really sells the realism of this set.

Brief Criteria
You took one of the simplest concepts and really gave it a next gen feel. You stay true to the original stage and simply took it to the next level.

Josh Cook:

Technical Achievement
Excellent realization, lighting and FX and great material quality.

Artistic Achievement
Excellent composition, atmosphere, style and attention to detail.

Brief Criteria
Excellent re-imagining, very different style from original while remaining true to inspiration.

Bram Eulers

Technical Achievement
From a technical point of view this is my favorite entry. A fantastic job was done on getting everything looking wet and damp. A lot of cool shader tricks here. I think the polygon density on the ground is a bit overkill though, the tiles there could probably be done in a more optimal way, although the end result is looking good!

As a fighter stage, there is a well defined arena area, with the background elements seperated nicely from the foreground. If this was in a real game, the fighters would stand out very well from the background.

Artistic Achievement
I'm probably not supposed to judge characters, but I love that they were added to the scene and feel like perfect background fighting stage background characters. I think the colors are a bit lacking, though it's not bad, as it does set the mood well. Architecturally it's pretty boring, very square, but there is enough attention to detail to make it look good.

Brief Criteria
As a re-imagination, it feels like a very nicely rendered version of the original. Something more daring could have been tried.

Everyone has had their predictions about who would be placing 1st Place for this contest, and I am glad we can finally lay this question to rest! Be sure to check out Cammy and the Bathhouse before taking a nice big sigh of relief as we head in to the calm before our next storm contest.

Replies