Home Big News

Clement Sauvé, 1977-2011

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
adam polycounter lvl 19

A personal inspiration and favourite character concept artist of mine, Clement Sauve passes away at 33 after losing a battle with cancer. I'm hearing it from multiple sources right now, but his Deviant Art page and this post by Maison Immonen should clear up anything you may be wondering for now.

I won't write too much, as I'd like to post some of my favourite concepts by him up on this page, but I will briefly mention how I came across his creativity.

It was when I was working as an environment artist at Threewave. We had just gotten a contract to do multiplayer for Army of Two: 40th Day and were very anxious to get to work. Part of working remotely with another studio or publisher is you sometimes get access to their pre-pro and development images. Hidden deep within folders of concepts and artwork were drawings by Sauvé. Jesse Turner, our Jouste as he's known on Polycount, sat beside me at the time and him and I would stare and talk about these drawings all day. Big shapes, exaggerated proportions in all the right areas, and an attitude in the faces that was rarely seen. As an environment artist, rarely does a character concept artist speak to me in such a way that Sauvé had. I wish I followed him more, as now that he's gone I find myself wanting more of his style. Rest in peace Clement, you are a favourite of mine.

When I get home tonight I will gather my collection of his from home and update this post. In the mean time, here are some choice pieces found on the internet.

Replies