Home Big News

Phillip Bailey, kicking ass

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
adam polycounter lvl 19

It's one thing to hit up Pimping & Previews with some of your amazing artwork, take some praise from it, and come back later with more greatness. It's an entirely other thing to do this WHILE posting your work-in-progress and learning from the community as you go. These types of threads are my favourite, and Phillip Baileys art thread is just inspiring.

In this post I'll talk briefly about why this thread is a great example of showing your skillset to a sea of professional videogame artists & peers, all while developing said skillset along the way.

Phillip Bailey, kicking ass.

Seriously, don't fuck with him. If you've not seen Pimping & Previews lately, what the hell is wrong with you then this look at Bailey's final results from some amazing collaborative effort between him and the community. And I say this seriously. Bailey did all the art work, but his drive to outdo himself and the communities investment in his growth really brings a smile to my face.

[caption id="attachment_1269" align="aligncenter" width="630" caption="You'd be a fool to not click through and see how this fine 3D game art came to be."][/caption]

Six pages deep now, Bailey first posted about how he was "trying to get some good pieces out for a portfolio..." and started off with his rendition of a Prussian helmet. From there, with some feedback from the community and a passion for what he does, he's knocking out some amazing themed artwork. From highpoly, to low poly, to textures and presentation - Bailey's nailed it.

[caption id="attachment_1275" align="aligncenter" width="630" caption="I think its safe to say the final result is 100% Grade A 'Badass'"][/caption]

I won't say much else - as a play-by-play of what he posted and what the community had to say really won't do this sort of growth justice. You really should start from the beginning and click yourself through some fantastic art creation.

I'm eagerly awaiting his final post about the BMW R75 he started over here. There's so much potential for the nitty-gritty details that age this piece back to World War 2 that, if its pulled off well, it'll make for damn convincing piece of historical videogame art.

The point I wanted to make with this post was really just to bring light to a fantastic thread of artwork and community involvement. As I said earlier, its one thing to post great artwork and not get involved yourself, but its something completely different to learn as you go. It takes an artist who wants to push themselves and a community of peers who wants to see this person do so. Hopefully, after seeing this post - and more importantly seeing his thread - it'll inspire you to not just 'post & dash', but really get involved with what it is you're showing off.

Great work, Phillip. And keep going.

Replies