[Latest Work]
9QX6n8e.jpg
5iyFW7A.jpg
s21VuO4.jpg
Afdl3WD.jpg
y2kIwIE.jpg
jtmMHp1.jpg

Hello Polycount!
It has been a while since my last thread.

This thread will be for small projects I've previously worked on and will work on in the future.
[Disclaimer: As I curently have a underpowered computer, I won't be able to work on materials/textures for my meshes. Soon, when I get the new machine, I will fully commit myself on learning more of Substance Designer and Painter. So, bare with me.]

For the first project I have one I've started today. It is called "Ye Old Hangovers" and it is a scene of a medieval inn (for which I will have Witcher 3 as a reference).

zRxmlKC.jpg
3Zev3T0.jpg
P7FBlqi.jpg

I already made a list of "to fix" things:
- wall cornerpiece w/ stump
[to properly connect with the other side of the wall]
- add a standalone stump mesh
[to properly connect the outer corner of the wall]
- finish the doors
- finish the buckets

That's all I got for, now. I also have a long list of "to add" stuff. But it is too long.

Any feedback and suggestiong will be greatly appreciated. I will listen!

Cheers!

Replies

• EpicBeardMan
    Offline / Send Message
    EpicBeardMan polycounter lvl 8
    Just a follow-up on the original post.

Here are some past works I've done which are mostly modeling studies (w/o materials).

This is Attila's Sword:
    exItVNG.jpg
    [This was done durng a thematic hangout with a Facebook group.]

This is another sword, a zweihander.
    -A straight version-
    21YZxkp.jpg
    -A curved version-
    YPEjUmU.jpg

And this is a Doric Pillar
    6S6xtDN.jpg
    [This was done as a modeling study and sculpting study using alphas with drag brush in ZBrush.]

This is all for now. Gonna keep you updated as frequently as I can on the "Ye Old Hangovers " project.
    And, also, if you want to see concepts I had for these works, just ask.
    And, of course, feedback is greatly appreciated.

Cheers!
  • EpicBeardMan
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello again.
    I'm here with the Inn update.

I did some experimenting with modular parts. And, finaly decided to go with no additional floors and just to straight up add the roof.
    I've done couple of parts for the roof but I need to make couple more to completely cover the inn. That should be done tommorrow. After that I'm gonna start populating the interior of the inn.

Here are the screenshots:
    tgHVo6b.jpg
    HSdbO0g.jpg
    JwVTPA1.jpg

If you have any feedback, questions or anything else, just post it down. It will be appreciated.

Until next time,
    Cheers!
  • EpicBeardMan
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello!
    After a long abscene (relatively) I managed to get some changes done.

For some backstory, I lost my scene together with the project in UE4 due to some kind of file corruption. I took a 2-day break and, finaly, I have managed to rebuild the scene.

Here are the screenshots:
    9XdGxJg.jpg
    X1ro3pL.jpg
    tRFPqnW.jpg

I have completely finished the roof part, and now, I am going to start populating the interior. Still undecided on time of day. Should it be day, or night with lit torches inside. I may as well try both of those conditions and see which is better.
    I have also dabbled into post-process settings and have added slight depth of field, I wonder if it works for this scene.

This is all for now, a new update will be posted soon.

Cheers!
  • amirabd2130
    Offline / Send Message
    amirabd2130 polycounter lvl 7
    looks good so far
    looking forward to this
  • EpicBeardMan
  • EpicBeardMan
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello again, Polycount!

After a small break I took, I just wanted to do as much as I can today to keep up with time. In this "update" I made barrels and holders for them, some baskets and pillars to further populate the interior.
    [I still get some wierd lighting behavior which I will look into later.]

Here are the screencaps:
    BWMXnER.jpg
    FIdxsYv.jpg
    PQrP77k.jpg

Next thing I'm planning to do is the middle area which is supposed to be some kind of a bar. I'm gonna look into some Witcher 3 playthorughs to see how's that supposed to look like exactly.

That's all for now. If there is something that should be changed or if you have some advice, just post some comments. I would like to engage with you :) .

Cheers!
  • EpicBeardMan
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello Polycount!

Finally, I've finished my Medieval Inn modeling and UE4 lighting study. I hope there is not much wrong with it.
    The only thing left for me to do is to try this scene out in a night setting.

Here are the screencaps:
    6SANGI7.jpg
    CH1hW7n.jpg
    7XTlJ7c.jpg

Gonna update this tommorrow with the night scene. And, when a new casual project arrives, I'm gonna put it in this thread.
    If there is any feedback you want to leave, just go ahead :D

Cheers!
  • EpicBeardMan
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello again!

Here's the night scene for Medieval Inn:
    Khd7XRD.jpg
    Tc3NHi0.jpg
    TUhqG5z.jpg

If there's anything you want me to change, just post it. :D

Cheers!
  • Kridian
    Offline / Send Message
    Kridian polycounter lvl 14
    So if it rained right now, your patrons would be soaked. Same goes for the side walls.

Are you going to add roof tiles?
  • EpicBeardMan
    Offline / Send Message
    Getting soaked is a least of their problems :P When they have moonshine, ale and wine, they are going to have other bigger problems :D
    And about the roof tiles, this is all I have for now (as this mini-project is basicaly finished). I debated about having straw roof or wooden roof and wooden roof was easier to make.
    Thanks for the feedback :D

Cheers!
  • EpicBeardMan
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello Polycount!

After a little break and a creative block, I've started a new casual environment project.

Here's the concept that gives me inspiration (Disclaimer: It won't be 100% true to the concept).
    UbbktNZ.jpg
    Made by: More Grim

Here's the first asset I've done:
    ltJHXtX.jpg

The goal of this casual project is further study of modeling and lighting, since I've learned a lot with the previous "Ye Old Hangovers" project.

Feedback would be appreciated.

Cheers!
  • EpicBeardMan
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello Polycount!

I hadn't post anything in a long while. Kinda been busy, not much "casual" work.

But, now I'm here again with new quick modeling study in Blender. I wanted to "evaluate" and test my current skills in modeling, although I haven't went far out of my comfort zone.

For this study I did a medieval longsword. And here are the renders:
    VLLJbtN.png
    Fw5cQrv.png
    XpbSGFV.png
    73BVIsW.png

And here's the reference:
    hdQRUJ3.jpg

I hope you like it. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Cheers y'all!
  • EpicBeardMan
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello Polycount!

I'm back with some new work of mine.
    Finally, I got a new computer, and now I can start working on bigger and better projects.

But, first I decided to do some studies, mostly on Substance Designer and Painter.
    I took a sword from the last post, and made some materials for it in Designer, which was also a Substance Designer study.

Here are the renders from Marmoset:
    YOjaE1Q.jpg
    RjJGEAL.jpg

I also made a polished/clean version of the sword which I will post next time.

Tomorrow, I'm going to get into Sub Painter to fix some issues I got from Designer, which will also be my Painter study.
    I'm looking to have UE4 as another render which should be tested out.

Also, I'm planning on to do materials on the holster of the sword, which should be fun.

If you have any feedback, pleas, post it, it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!
  • EpicBeardMan
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello!

I finally finished the Substance Study.

Here are the renders:

- Bloody Version:
    iRrM3bv.png
    WBhG9jw.png
    fbIDY16.png

- Polished Version:
    bIyIKQ3.png
    TMvdAVh.png
    OwFS3Kb.png

If you have any feedback, pleas share it :D

Cheers!
  • BeserK
    Offline / Send Message
    BeserK polycounter lvl 12
    Looking really good!
    The hilt is too dark, and the blood is too light, the blood also has white edges, I'm not familiar with masking in Substance, I have a similar problem when I use premade masks from a downloaded png.
    The normal mapping is also a little too strong.

Personally, I don't like the way the blood is splattered here and there, it looks like you tried to evenly distribute it. I would have added one large area on the main striking part of the blade and maybe some splatter close to it. But that may just be me :)

Looking forward to updates!
  • EpicBeardMan
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback. I get similar things said about the blood. I'm going to try my best to fix them up.

I will also try to more "realistically" spread the blood, specially over the blade.

Cheers!
  • EpicBeardMan
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello again, Polycount!

I've started a fairly big, but not too hard of a project. It's called "Tesla's Laboratory".
    It's heavily inspired by Tesla's lab in Order 1886.
    Basically, it's a steampunk/fantasy version of Tesla's Lab, with a lot his inventions, real and fictional.

The level/scene layout resembles heavily to the Order 1886 Tesla's lab, which might be changed in the future. Right now, I'm trying to figure out working and efficient pipeline, which is mostly figured out by now.

These first screencaps are for the preview of the job done so far. And for materials C&C. I made base materials (wood) in Substance Designer and applied them in Substance Painter.
    9pkPYSN.png
    buLquHM.png
    FAchKO1.png

C&C is highly appreciated.

Cheers!
  • EpicBeardMan
    Offline / Send Message
    Greetings!

Here's the current progress of the Tesla's Lab project.
    mEiDBWF.jpg
    IAs5or9.jpg

Next thing I'm going to try is to figure out the walls. It'll take some time for me to sketch it all out, and I also gotta create materials if needed.

C&C is welcome.

Cheers!
  • EpicBeardMan
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello y'all!

Here's the progress on the Tesla's Steampunk Lab scene.
    I'm finally done with the wooden objects, so now, I'm going onto some good stuff (maybe).

Here are the screencaps:
    hLbqSTr.jpg
    WqMso9l.jpg
    IG255IX.jpg

Feedback is highly appreciated!

Cheers!
  • EpicBeardMan
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello yet again!

Here's my current progress on the Laboratory.
    The biggest change that I've made is the lighting, and I have finally done something about that open test area where the Tesla Coil will be.

Here are the renders:
    sdtyK3j.jpg
    oxmEMuh.jpg
    s3YR7Cn.jpg
    DpV8p7N.jpg
    78aYIF4.jpg

For the next chunk of models I'll make light emitters, like lamps, spotlights, etc. And with that, I'm going to make some ceiling elements, like metal beams, cables, pipes, etc.

All feedback is welcome!

Cheers!
  • EpicBeardMan
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello once again, Polycount!

Here's the latest progress on the scene. I gotta say I'm pretty happy with what I've got, there are some faults within the scene, but I hid them well, I guess.

Here are the screencaps:
    J0n5qBA.jpg
    lNhVCaU.jpg
    2LCeory.jpg
    8aWzz3L.jpg
    1vvhStI.jpg

Next, I'm gonna make one of the main focuses of the scene, the Tesla Coil.
    With this, I'm going to make some changes and "repairs" on some objects for better tiling and some more decal stuff too.

Feedback is greatly appreciated.

Cheers!
  • EpicBeardMan
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello there again!

This is just a quick FX update I got

Here I have some more particles put into the scene. FYI I haven't made any of them, they're there just to fill out the scene with "life" , I'm an Environment Artist anyway.

Screencaps:
    S0LIKdN.jpg
    V6xqJ3f.jpg
    wkPS4yo.jpg

Feedback is always appreciated.
    Cheers!
  • EpicBeardMan
    Offline / Send Message
    Greetings, Polycounters!

Here's the finished Tesla's Laboratory project. After about a month I think this came out to be a pretty decent piece.

Here are the shots:

9QX6n8e.jpg
    5iyFW7A.jpg
    s21VuO4.jpg
    Afdl3WD.jpg
    y2kIwIE.jpg
    jtmMHp1.jpg

Also, here's a video of a walkthrough of the scene:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWzdoiqMM24"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWzdoiqMM24[/ame]

I hope you like it.
    Any feedback is welcome!

Cheers!
  • Vincent_DEROZIER
    Offline / Send Message
    Vincent_DEROZIER greentooth
    Hi Tomislav,
    first it's a big amount of work here so it's cool that you take that scene from beginning to end.

I'm just not sure about the level of detail of your main shapes and silouhettes like Arhitectural elements or props. It's not helping to get away of that 3d feeling.

On another matter Idon,t think your logo at the left bottom corner is a good idea, it,s really putting a lot of visual weight there so I can,t take a look at your screen without putting my eyes on it. I know that that was your idea but it,s a little bit brutal :) .

Keep it up
  • EpicBeardMan
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for your input Vincent :D

What do you mean about level of detail on my main shapes? Do you mean that they are too simple, or? If you could specify there what you mean so I could apply that in the future.

And about that logo, I just wanted to refresh the look of it. Yes, I overkilled it, but maybe just a scale-down would help a bit.

Cheers, Vincent! :D
  • Vincent_DEROZIER
    Offline / Send Message
    Vincent_DEROZIER greentooth
    Yes it,s more about the fact that they are too simple. I know that even in the reality some times shapes are pretty simple but you can exagerate some part to make them feel more reel.

Just avoid long straight edges especially on wood or stone, put detail at the intersections of material or when two pieces of something are suppose to go through each other. That could be in 3d but with some texture blend or alphas decal, everything to remove the 3d feeling of an asset like the feets of your wooden table for exemple, the material on your pilars which seems to be the same everywhere or your ceiling.
  • EpicBeardMan
    Offline / Send Message
    I sure did shy away from getting decals on the objects which are not the floor or the walls. I should've at least introduce some vertex paining on them.
    Thanks for the explanation. Gonna keep that in mind in the future for sure :D

Cheers!