Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Redwood Forest UE4

Replies

• oxygencube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oxygencube polycounter lvl 8
    @Fozwroth, Looks good man. You got any resources/tutorials that you followed to get DFGI working? I'm looking to add it to my swamp.
  • christopheduron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    christopheduron polycounter lvl 2
    Stunning work man. I've been trying to find some sort of citique but i just can't find any...

How's it handling on fps?
  • Fozwroth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fozwroth polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks! :D

I followed these steps:

* put r.DistanceFieldGI=1 in the [Startup] section of Engine\Config\ConsoleVariables.ini\ConsoleVariables.ini
    * Enable GenerateMeshDistanceFields in the project settings under Engine -> Renderer, restart editor (same for all distance field lighting)
    * Place a skylight, change Mobility to Movable. This is required even for GI at the moment.
    * Place a directional light, change Mobility to Movable

The FPS isnt great to be honest ^^ I think I clock in at around 8-10 but I have e realativ old GPU(670) So I think with better GPU it should be quite an improvement :)

If I disable the distancefield AO and turn the skylight to stationary I can get 25-30 fps so its really mostly lighting that eats up performance.

But this was more for fun and just trying to push it :) Sitting around optimizing and all that comes with it on a daily basis so its fun to go a little nuts :)
  • stefmen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This looks to nice!
    To bad it isn't runnable in realtime.
  • Fozwroth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks!

Could probably be if I partially baked the skylight :) But its a little easier to just leave it to be dynamic.

So yeah its not at all impossible to get it running at good fps :) Would probably do that if I decide to release the map, but dont have the time for that at the moment
  • Macrow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Macrow polycounter lvl 8
    Superb work, man! I don't think I've even seen many works with SpeedTree match this level of work. Not only achieves a nice realism, but it has a nice aesthetic to its organic touch that even procedural generation can miss.

Just one question (if it's not been asked already): Are you using any Subsurface Scattering with the leaves?
  • xxroxx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xxroxx polycounter lvl 3
    After seeing this I can't help but wish I could play a character in this environment and watch wild life pass by in there.

AWESOME work!
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Fozwroth wrote: »
    Here is the new video as well :) Too bad Youtube puts a crap filter all over it no matter what I do from my side... It kind of ruins the whole thing but oh well...cant do anything about it :/

Yeah, it's the bitrate limit of 1080p youtube, making a 1440p/4k video and asking people to use it is the only way to get around it.
  • Jack M.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jack M. interpolator
    You could also put it up on Vimeo as an alternative to watch in higher quality.
  • Fozwroth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks everyone!

@Macrow  Yes I'm using subsurface :) I have a  subsurface channel for all my vegetation textures and can control the color/intensity of it per asset

@ZacD ah yeah Im going to try to render out a higher res video and see if I can force a better bitrate :) 

@Jack M. I already tried that but results are roughly the same and it doesnt support 1080 or 60 fps so I didnt feel that was worth it
  • Special KBS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Special KBS polycounter lvl 3
    Man this is absolutely stunning work! The DFGI really helps bring the scene together. Can't wait to see what you'll work on next!
  • Jack M.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jack M. interpolator
    Makes sense. Another option would be uploading it to dropbox and sharing a link.
  • Fozwroth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks! :)

Yeah that would be an option as well :) Will try it out this weekend!
  • Klaszlo14
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Klaszlo14 null
    Hi! I'ts download able? I can't see any downlaod links in here if it is please link to me some or it isnt pls tell me what time able to download, cuz i remake Star Wars Battlefront in Unreal Engine
  • dobrich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dobrich vertex
    Jesus Christ dude. Is that 12k textures on those trees? How come it has so much detail?