Home Adobe Substance

Substance Designer - Master Thread

Replies

• Kosai106
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kosai106 polycounter lvl 13
    Speaking of wood, I just finished up this.
    It's nothing all too special, but it was fun. I created a pretty powerful wood generator for this, so you'll be seeing more wood from me in the near future!

kevin-osterkilde-screenshot011.jpg?1444620995
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    We just launched a Procedural Material Contest with some cool NVidia prizes!
  • Fogbrain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fogbrain polycounter lvl 5
    I want to have a shot at it, especially since a sweet new graphics card would be very nice.

But I'm not as professional at Substance as most people here. So who knows, maybe I will.
  • Tectonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tectonic polycounter lvl 10
    I just got Substance Designer yesterday, loving it. But I can't quite figure out the renderer. height maps don't seem to have any effect. as well as when I try to use a spec/gloss pbr workflow, the spec and gloss values seem to have no effect on my material. I'm sure its just that I've toggled something off/on somewhere that I shouldn't have. any ideas?
  • arvinmoses
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arvinmoses polycounter lvl 13
    For height maps overcrank the number. So it caps at 1. just double click it and set it to like 10. You should get some effect.

as far as spec gloss click on material in the 3d view and switch it from rough/metal to spec gloss
  • cgvinny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cgvinny polycounter lvl 9
    Fogbrain wrote: »
    I want to have a shot at it, especially since a sweet new graphics card would be very nice.

But I'm not as professional at Substance as most people here. So who knows, maybe I will.

Height map alone is not enough : you need to add a normal map, and as Arvin just said, don't hesitate to put a value for this normal around 10 to 20.
  • Tectonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tectonic polycounter lvl 10
    @arvinmoses @cgvinny, thanks guys! i'll try that out this afternoon :)
  • David-J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    David-J polycounter lvl 11
    Where is the normal mapper node in the latest susbtance designer? I'm checking out their youtube tutorials but it's an old build so it's a bit different from the current one.
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    The normal mapper is not in the library anymore, it was useful at some point when some substance integrations were not fully featured but you can use the regular normal filter instead now.
  • David-J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    David-J polycounter lvl 11
    Jerc wrote: »
    The normal mapper is not in the library anymore, it was useful at some point when some substance integrations were not fully featured but you can use the regular normal filter instead now.

Thanks!
  • Fogbrain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tectonic wrote: »
    I just got Substance Designer yesterday, loving it. But I can't quite figure out the renderer. height maps don't seem to have any effect. as well as when I try to use a spec/gloss pbr workflow, the spec and gloss values seem to have no effect on my material. I'm sure its just that I've toggled something off/on somewhere that I shouldn't have. any ideas?

Previewing height maps is alot easier and looks alot better if you go to your material options in the 3D view and go to edit, and change the height value. For me it was defaulted at 0, so for the longest time I just assumed it didn't work.

Now this has a slight effect on the PBR material renderer, but I advise switching your material definitions to the parallax/tesselation renderer, personally I use tessellation for previewing heightmaps if it were to behave in something like Marmoset Toolbag and set the glossiness and specular levels to zero, and change the tessellation to a value you wish, I'd suggest 1-6. And give a small amount of height value, the current substance I'm working on uses a value of 0.67.

00245e9ba6ee6bed94f6974016ff1cbe.png
  • Fogbrain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick question, does anyone know how to overlay a material you make like a leaf to be scattered and positioned over a procedural tileable material like a floor/road?

I'd like to see if this is doable without bitmaps, and I've yet to see substances with scattered objects over the terrain.
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    You can use the Splatter Color node for that kind of thing.
  • arvinmoses
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We came up with a pretty cool method for doing this at gametextures. Will try to share it soon. It's a little involved but it produces some really accurate masks and results.
  • arvinmoses
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's what we've been working on lately. Will try to share what we can on some of the techniques. I think this has been the most object layers I've messed with on a single mat.
    WF9B1cYJWBmjYNwuTscJu65TNXLpMCApAh4oGBG1i8U?size_mode=5
  • NBLM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NBLM polycounter lvl 13
    Previewing height maps is alot easier and looks alot better if you go to your material options in the 3D view and go to edit, and change the height value. For me it was defaulted at 0, so for the longest time I just assumed it didn't work.

Now this has a slight effect on the PBR material renderer, but I advise switching your material definitions to the parallax/tesselation renderer, personally I use tessellation for previewing heightmaps if it were to behave in something like Marmoset Toolbag and set the glossiness and specular levels to zero, and change the tessellation to a value you wish, I'd suggest 1-6. And give a small amount of height value, the current substance I'm working on uses a value of 0.67.

00245e9ba6ee6bed94f6974016ff1cbe.png

Where is the tesselation_parallaxe shader in 5.3.0 actually?

All other tess. shaders just have a range from 0-1, what is way to low.
    Just as a comparison, a simple paraboloid shape in substance designer 4 and 5.3.0 (with metalic/rough tesselation shader , Material:Height Scale set to maximum).

iwwSUCP.jpg
  • Kosai106
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kosai106 polycounter lvl 13
    NBLM wrote: »

Double-click the slider to input any number you want.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    If I make a material converter and want it to tile.. So say the image I want to input is 4k. I want the material converter to tile 4 across up/down using this input image. Would I make the material converter 4k absolute and then make its pixel .25? So then if I put the bitmap into it, would that then tile that material on the bitmap before spitting it out?

Does this make sense?
  • Fogbrain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NBLM wrote: »
    Where is the tesselation_parallaxe shader in 5.3.0 actually?

Just as a comparison, a simple paraboloid shape in substance designer 4 and 5.3.0 (with metallic/rough tessellation shader , Material:Height Scale set to maximum).

iwwSUCP.jpg

In your 3D view, to to materials>default(if you have no preset materials attached to your 3D mesh)>definitions and a dropdown of all your shaders will appear, and select tessellation_parrallax, and select tessellation from there.

Once you have that enabled, go to materials>default>edit and change the values to the ones I suggest before for previewing height.

I haven't found a better way to display height maps correctly with the PBR shaders, the value doesn't seem to change anything on the height range, if anything it kinda shrinks your texture inward. So, if you want both a preview of your texture in both the height map working and PBR, use something like Toolbag 2.

Note that the tessellation_parrallax definition doesn't display Albedo, only Diffuse, so if you have a PBR texture, with AO also, just blend your AO and your base color together to create a quick diffuse and just drag and drop in the 3D view with right mouse button and select diffuse to see how that looks in the tessellation_parrallax definition. Let me know if you have any other questions.

287436cc17f8241a896db026f9cef3fd.gif
  • NBLM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NBLM polycounter lvl 13
    Kosai106 wrote: »
    Double-click the slider to input any number you want.

ahh ok, I thought it was a fixed range that you can't change.
    In your 3D view, to to materials>default(if you have no preset materials attached to your 3D mesh)>definitions and a dropdown of all your shaders will appear, and select tessellation_parrallax, and select tessellation from there.

Once you have that enabled, go to materials>default>edit and change the values to the ones I suggest before for previewing height.

I haven't found a better way to display height maps correctly with the PBR shaders, the value doesn't seem to change anything on the height range, if anything it kinda shrinks your texture inward. So, if you want both a preview of your texture in both the height map working and PBR, use something like Toolbag 2.

Note that the tessellation_parrallax definition doesn't display Albedo, only Diffuse, so if you have a PBR texture, with AO also, just blend your AO and your base color together to create a quick diffuse and just drag and drop in the 3D view with right mouse button and select diffuse to see how that looks in the tessellation_parrallax definition. Let me know if you have any other questions.

287436cc17f8241a896db026f9cef3fd.gif

Mhh, I don't have the relief and tesselation_parallax shader.
    Maybe they got lost during the installation. Never mind, I just use the rough/metallic tesselation shader then.
    q6Syy79.png

Thanks for the help guys!
  • AdvisableRobin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AdvisableRobin polycounter lvl 10
    Hey everybody, so I'm working on the substance contest, creating some old bricks to kick it off and get myself into the mind frame.

I'm hoping to be able to modulate between brick heights to change dirt/water coverage. Possibly also add in stick/pebble/leaves scattering.

The blending on the modulating brick height is giving me a little trouble, but I'm not quite to the point of asking Gondor for aid. Let me know what you think if you have any feedback. This is only height, normal and simple AO right now.

bi5j1ha.png
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Hey everybody, so I'm working on the substance contest, creating some old bricks to kick it off and get myself into the mind frame.

I'm hoping to be able to modulate between brick heights to change dirt/water coverage. Possibly also add in stick/pebble/leaves scattering.

The blending on the modulating brick height is giving me a little trouble, but I'm not quite to the point of asking Gondor for aid. Let me know what you think if you have any feedback. This is only height, normal and simple AO right now.

bi5j1ha.png

Stone Bricks or Baked Bricks? Right now they look like stone. If you wanted the more baked type, the surface would be porous.
  • AdvisableRobin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary wrote: »
    Stone Bricks or Baked Bricks? Right now they look like stone. If you wanted the more baked type, the surface would be porous.

I'll have to play around with that and see which I like better. But I appreciate you making me think
  • CStanley93
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CStanley93 null
    Hi guys, I only got substance about a week ago as I thought it would be a great tool for use during my honours project at uni, so im pretty new at this but I thought the material contest would be a great way to learn!
    Anyway Trying out a sci-fi floor panel that has rubber pads and like a hard plastic/metal inset that I made by basically manipulating gradients together. Hopefully im not doing anything horrendously wrong :poly122:
  • arvinmoses
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Stanley - Great start man! There's nothing there that stands out as wrong. Just keep plowing through it. You'll find you learn something with every new mat you do.

Robin those stone/bricks look really nice!

Okay I think my last post didn't show but here's a mat we've been working on. It's been a pretty cool experience to figure out new ways to layer materials:
    screenshot008.jpg
  • CStanley93
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CStanley93 null
    Damn all your guys stuff is awesome!!!
    I spent the most of today learning substance designer, and so far im really digging it! cant wait to uncover all the secret tweaks to get funky results ect.
    After my early Sci-Fi test I follwed some tuorials then went off on a tangent and did my own thing. I went for a Stone herringbone floor with and Ice and frost coating. Im still a noob but gotta practice right? :poly142:
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Substance Designer 5.3.1 is available, and with it, an army of bug fixes!
  • arvinmoses
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea bug fixes!!!
  • K
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    K polycounter lvl 9
    Crosspost from here.

Nearly finished, my fantasy entry for the Substance challenge.

A material inspired by the dwarves in the Elder Scrolls games.

01.png
  • Vincent_DEROZIER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vincent_DEROZIER greentooth
    That moment when you realise than instead of a Rock Generator you have create a Cookies generator :

Cookies_Generator.jpg
  • Uzziel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uzziel polycounter lvl 7
    Ahah :D
    We have our cookies generator at Allegorithmic (made by Jerc if I remember right) too :
    TKU6cR9.jpg

That moment when you realise than instead of a Rock Generator you have create a Cookies generator :

Cookies_Generator.jpg
  • arvinmoses
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LOL that looks delicious! Didn't realize this was you Gaetan!
  • Vincent_DEROZIER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fuaaaa it's an incredible cookie generator :) . Want a Bite of it !
  • Uzziel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uzziel polycounter lvl 7
    arvinmoses wrote: »
    LOL that looks delicious! Didn't realize this was you Gaetan!

Hey Arvin, yep my Polycount username is quite different from my name :khasmo:
    fuaaaa it's an incredible cookie generator :) . Want a Bite of it !

Sure we have a parameter for this! :)
  • arvinmoses
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hahaha!

Wrapping this one up btw. Definitely not edible.
    arvin-villapando-screenshot015.jpg?1445542308arvin-villapando-screenshot016.jpg?1445542311arvin-villapando-screenshot017.jpg?1445542313arvin-villapando-screenshot018.jpg?1445542316
  • cgvinny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cgvinny polycounter lvl 9
    Hey guys,
    here is some Iray render tests I put on my website :
    http://cgvinny.com/2015/10/iray-tests-within-substance-designer/
  • SimonTG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonTG polycounter lvl 10
    Hey guys, that's my first post on polycount, long time reader.
    Taught I would contribute to this thread as I am really enjoying working with Substance. Here are some of my results:

All these are generated inside marmoset from the same substance's parameters:
    simon-tremblay-gauthier-metal01-render01.jpg?1445377986
    simon-tremblay-gauthier-metal01-render03.jpg?1445592742
    simon-tremblay-gauthier-metal02-render01.jpg?1445378389
    simon-tremblay-gauthier-metal01-graph01.jpg?1445592881

This is my result after going through Rogelio's Gnomon tutorial:
    simon-tremblay-gauthier-cobblestones01-04.jpg?1442132739
    simon-tremblay-gauthier-cobblestones01-05.jpg?1442132783
    simon-tremblay-gauthier-cobblestones01-01.jpg?1442132793
    simon-tremblay-gauthier-cobblestones01-graph.jpg?1442132756
  • CStanley93
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CStanley93 null
    Hi guys, I posted this earlier as a first attempt using substance designer and the design actually kind of stuck. Its for the competition (Sci-Fi) And its a piece of flooring that has rubber with a hard plastic inserts. Do you guys have any advice or like the idea? I have no problem showing the graph because im still a noob :D Its mainly created from gradients :)
  • AdvisableRobin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A little more work on my contest substance.

@oXYnary I tried playing around with the idea of baked bricks a bit more. I'm not sure how I like them. I toned down the underlying dirt to better focus on the bricks themselves.
    Kqdihp7.png
  • Vincent_DEROZIER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How did you add those lines AdvisableRobin ? They seems to flatten your material, kind of prefer the previous one.

Here is my last stuff, my entry for the substance share challenge,

vincent-derozier-a.jpg?1445710540

Still need some visual polish and graph clean and then I will share it.
    If you want more images about the process :
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/O3JlJ
  • AdvisableRobin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Vincent_DEROZIER I would love to show you the graph, but unfortunately my SBSAR files have been acting up, I think its due to a versioning difference between home and work.

Basically the lines were just blended Aniso-lines over top of the initial shape node. I'm honestly not very happy with it, I was wanting to create something a lot more natural. Something you might find in a jungle temple. Also having some issues with the brick spacing, but that just comes down to tweaking.

I absolutely adore the shiny gold & marble flooring though. I would play with the cracks, some of them abruptly end in the middle of the tile which I don't imagine is how a marble tile would crack, its more like all cracks connect to the edge or another crack. It could be cool to try out a shattered look, with almost spider webby like splintering of the tiles. Also it might just be the camera but for some reason the closer plaster bits look like they're chips out of the tiles rather then on top.
  • Vincent_DEROZIER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No problem share it only if you can :) .

Your brick are cool it's just that I kind of like the strong shape you had in your previous version. Speaking about stone when you talk about jungle temple you are talking about that :

64.%2BPhnom%2BBakheng%252C%2Bfloor%2Bin%2Bthe%2Bmountain%2Btemple%252C%2BSiem%2BReap%2Btemples%252C%2BCambodia.JPG

or that ?
    vietnam-my-son-b5-tower-view-of-temple-interior-tower-interior-red-C450DF.jpg

Because I don't know why but those kind of lines reminds me much more some modern brick wall :
    Vietnam_Holly_2.jpg

But it's may be just be.

Anyway, thanks a lot for your feedbacks they are more than right, will do my best tomorrow to update the cracks, and find a way to increase the quality of the plaster pieces. Don't know why but I don't have cast shadow on my mesh with Iray, it's really not helping :) .
  • K
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    K polycounter lvl 9
    Crosspost from here.

My Substance Designer Contest entry for the Fantasy category should be up in Substance Share pretty soon, here is some iray goodness!

There is an emissive map in there as well, it makes the marble vein glow.

The material is loosely inspired by Skyrim's Dwarven architecture.

01.png
  • K
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    K polycounter lvl 9
    Working on a part of my entry for the Urban category in the Substance Designer Material Challenge (thats a mouthful!)

Crosspost from my topic.

01.png
  • Fogbrain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Vincent_DEROZIER I really enjoy your materials man, very innovative way of going about that material. I'll have to remember a picturing a substance I want to make like that and breaking things down that way. It makes alot more sense. It's so easy to jump in and be stumped at some point. Is that a bronze material in there also? I'm trying to make one and I wanna make it look really nice for my entry.

Here's the Substance Material Contest entry I'm working on for the Urban Category, I hope I can do another submission soon, but I gotta focus on finishing this first.

9c01af2ca00957a6f31ea25167b820a7.png

It's based on Boston's freedom trail, maybe because I've had Boston and Fallout 4 on the mind.
  • K
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    K polycounter lvl 9
    Just a few more tweaks, and ill call it done :)

(Urban entry for the substance challenge).

01.png

(Crosspost from here.)
  • Vincent_DEROZIER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fogbrain»» your volumes are pretty sick, it's a relly nice height map :) . Could be perfect to place a brick gutter in the center of the pavement, could make sense with your Sewer plate. Curious to see your color !

Käy.Vriend»»» It's really subgective but did you have try to darken your sewer plate to have more contrast between your Asphalt and metal ? Nice road though.
  • Vincent074
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vincent074 polycounter lvl 7
  • K
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    K polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks guys! I already darkened the base reflectance value of iron a bit for the sewer, but it could use some extra darkness for sure. I like that dark patina of old iron. Not sure how to fake it though haha.

ill emphasise the rust a bit too.

Thanks for the feedback!
  • mattyinthesun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mattyinthesun polycounter lvl 4
    A brick wall substance I made a bit ago. brick_wall_substance_1600.jpg