Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Character for portfolio

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Jakub interpolator
Hello,

After two years of studying art, watching tutorials and working my ass off, I want to finally open my own webpage and start trying to land some job.

I am working on my "opening" piece for portfolio right now and considering that there is a lot "first" in here, I'd appreciate help and some feedback during the process.

I am aiming for The Last of Us look of it, a guy with dirty clothing etc. :)

This is my HP so far, I'd call the shape of the face finished, I don't want to go into detailing it, before I finish the clothing.

Base of the clothes was done in Marvelous Designer, I only started to detail pants so far.

TrpWvJ8.jpg
zscRPle.jpg
ITXKUII.jpg

Face topology:

PM7R28h.jpg

Any suggestions are welcome!

Replies

• Tectonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tectonic polycounter lvl 10
    the topology on your head looks a little wrong as far as edge flow around the jaw, and I think if you have a few too many loops around the eyes and lips, but not enough geometry on the tip of your nose (the silhouette of the nose is going to be very blocky). what is your goal as far as polygon count?
    TomCrazyfoolParker_topology_breakdown.jpg
    Uncharted2_face.jpg
  • Jakub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jakub interpolator
    I'll be using head that was subdivided once as my low poly(10k polys).

With the rest, I'll try to fit in around 30k, still gotta figure out how hair planes work.

Substance for texturing and baking, marmoset for render.

Thanks for the info about topology, I'll make necessary changes :) I followed Chung Kan'stutorial about face topo.
  • mitchmccollum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mitchmccollum polycounter lvl 3
    I would look at your ear it just feels off... I would also look at your wrinkles they look to much like random materials. Also I would look at your knapsack strap it feels the pull string that holds it together is not attached properly.
  • Jakub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jakub interpolator
    hey dustingbrown :)

Thanks for your input!

As for the jacket, the material is a the windbreaker, I do own one like that(living in Ireland, rain and wind is one of the things that I have to live with :P ).

I do know that you're right about using MD as a start in learning about clothing, but I couldn't really find any good resource to study sculpting the cloth. There is numerous videos on YT, but they don't cover folds, the way you described them. I spent last year going through anatomy, now I plan on spending as much time on clothing and props.

On another note, if I can get some projects(work) whilst using MD(as a base mesh) and build up professional experience that helps me a lot.
  • Jakub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jakub interpolator
    @mitchmccollum

Wrinkles are just the base created by simulation, I am refining them right now.