Home General Discussion

deviations in the concept and the model

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Rockley Bonner polycounter lvl 12
1024ref_zpsfa31a53c.jpg

tankbeatuy_zpszlknzwg8.jpg

What is your opinion on keeping this in my portfolio sense there is quite a bit of deviation in it. In my defence some of the shapes are vague and some of the structures dont make sense in 3d. I'm thinking about redoing some of these parts to have it closer to the concept.

Replies

• Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    You're always going to have to adapt some things, that's an important part of a 3d artists skillset, knowing how to properly adapt a concept to 3d.

I think you did deviate in some ways that hurt the appeal and overall design of this vehicle, but it's just something you have to do a lot before you know where to deviate and where not to.

I don't think you need to take it out of your 'folio though.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Yeah you really lost the face and the feel of the vehicle. Your changes definitely hurt the aesthetic of the vehicle. It's no longer chunky, not as much of a tank.

When using a concept, I feel the most important thing is capturing the aesthetic and design ideas, and not matching the shapes 1:1 like a blueprint.
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    If you are presenting this to show how well you can follow a concept, I would take it out. The core shapes are really off and soft.I think the primary planes in the concept are defined enough that you could extract the correct shape.

I find it helps me to try to pull the planes out of a concept just using the polygon lasso tool and a fill brush..something like this:

planes.jpg

I'd say it is ok to use artistic license where you do not have a very clear definition, but it seems you've taken it beyond that particular point with more than one section of the concept.

I hope that is helpful