Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Subtance works

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
Vincent_DEROZIER greentooth
Latest Update 

Hi Everyone !
I will try to keep working my Substance Designer skill regulary.

Here is my first material since a while, a Bark texture, what did you guys think about it ?

Replies

• 3dReaper
    Offline / Send Message
    3dReaper polycounter lvl 4
    Good start, but I think it is overtly shiny. Bark is not particularly shiny, unless this is supposed to be lacquered?

Also, never render with a black background, use a grey, blue-grey, or a blue tone.

If you use the metalness workflow you don't need to show the metalness texture flat for a non-metal material, at least that is my thought. Especially considering we could see 25% of the other textures instead.
  • Vincent_DEROZIER
    Offline / Send Message
    Agree ! I always make everything too much shiny fearing that no one will see the fresnel on the surface .

It's my first attempt with the metalness workflow it's true that the metalness map is useless to show.

• Vincent_DEROZIER
    Offline / Send Message
    Done

Let's go to the next.
  • Vincent_DEROZIER
    Offline / Send Message
    Still very WIP.

• DanielR17
    Offline / Send Message
    DanielR17 polycounter lvl 7
    Hey Vincent,
    Your graph is simple, yet you already have a good result for a WIP (the stone floor). I'll follow this thread with great interest.

Sympa de voir un compatriote ici !
  • Micaki
    Offline / Send Message
    Micaki polycounter lvl 3
    Thats a nice tree bark, imo rounded cube or cylinder will show the material better. Also what you want to show with small screen of your graph? Thats not saying much about your substance. Looking forward to your next works
  • Vincent_DEROZIER
    Offline / Send Message
    finally finish it .

DanielR17 >>> Yes I always try to keep my substance graph simple for my mental health . Et oui c'est sympa de croiser des compatriotes !!

Micaki >>> I agree that that shapes are not the best to show a material, still searching for it. Sorry for the graph I always try to share the more I can on a community forum, bad habits die hard
  • Vincent_DEROZIER
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Guys here are my latest Substance works, some simple materials :

vincent-derozier-wallbricks-vincent-derozier.jpg?1443122787

vincent-derozier-vincent-derozier-fancobblestones.jpg?1442969437

vincent-derozier-sand-vincent-derozier.jpg?1443452605

vincent-derozier-canyon-cliff-vincent-derozier.jpg?1443199987

And some "Substance Factories" I'm working on, trying to think about how to use the best of procedural and connected stuff for a level production :
    vincent-derozier-wip-stones-vincentderozier.jpg?1443787717

vincent-derozier-wip-brickfloor-vincentderozier.jpg?1443787711

The last two ones are still really rough, need to work my underneath materials, remove a lot of artefacts, polish the Albedos and create more complex Trim Layouts :) .
  • stilobique
    Offline / Send Message
    stilobique polycounter lvl 12
    Really good job ! No test with Unity or Unreal Engine ?
  • Vincent_DEROZIER
    Offline / Send Message
    stilobique // I'm making some test in the Unreal Engine but I don't have anything really sexy to show right, maybe later :)

Here is my material after polish :

vincent-derozier-stones-vincentderozier.jpg?1443992872

vincent-derozier-brickfloor-vincentderozier.jpg?1443992866
  • Soldeus
    Offline / Send Message
    Soldeus polycounter lvl 10
    Love those textures, and oh boy, love that presentation! Really clean :D
  • Spoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    Nice and juicy :)
  • Nuclear Angel
    Offline / Send Message
    Nuclear Angel polycounter
    These are great, and as Soldeus said, the presentations are really sweet!
  • armagon
    Offline / Send Message
    armagon polycounter lvl 11
    Hi Guys here are my latest Substance works, some simple materials :

vincent-derozier-wallbricks-vincent-derozier.jpg?1443122787

vincent-derozier-vincent-derozier-fancobblestones.jpg?1442969437

vincent-derozier-sand-vincent-derozier.jpg?1443452605

vincent-derozier-canyon-cliff-vincent-derozier.jpg?1443199987

And some "Substance Factories" I'm working on, trying to think about how to use the best of procedural and connected stuff for a level production :
    vincent-derozier-wip-stones-vincentderozier.jpg?1443787717

vincent-derozier-wip-brickfloor-vincentderozier.jpg?1443787711

The last two ones are still really rough, need to work my underneath materials, remove a lot of artefacts, polish the Albedos and create more complex Trim Layouts :) .

That's amazing? Any chance that's landing on Substance Share anytime soon? :D
  • luthyn
    Offline / Send Message
    luthyn polycounter lvl 8
    Very inspiring! I love your bark and your texture presentation. Good approach for showing variation in a graph. Keep it up!
  • Vincent_DEROZIER
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks everyones ! The presentation is pretty simple but I think I will stay with that for a while.

armagon //// I don't think that all that stuff is powerful enough to land on Substance Share but I will think about it :) .

Shinigami //// I will see if I can breakdown some stuff for you, which one did you want to see ?

Here is my last stuff, wooden planks, still need some tweaks and polish but I'm pretty happy with the result so far
    vincent-derozier-vincentderozier-woodmaterial.jpg?1444230648
  • Soldeus
    Offline / Send Message
    Soldeus polycounter lvl 10
    Just nitpicking, but you should put your nickname or full name in the images, in case anyone finds them while google searching and wants to know the author!
  • Vincent_DEROZIER
    Offline / Send Message
    No nitpicking, it's logic and I just have forget to put it :p , thanks to pointing it out.

Here is my last Substance Factory, a wooden one to create every type of object material :

vincent-derozier-vincentderozier-woodsubstancesets.jpg?1444420063
  • Fwap
    Offline / Send Message
    Fwap polycounter lvl 13
    God tier materials dude, i love the presentation too.
  • Vincent_DEROZIER
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Fwap !

Don't know how I will share my previous stuff with you guys but I'm thinking about it. Before that here is my next Substance Factory, a marble/ Laiton material. Working on the marble right know, what did you think about it ?

MarbleWIP-VincentD%25C3%25A9rozier.jpg
  • Mr Significant
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr Significant polycounter lvl 11
    Holy crap :O this is astonishing work. but I have a qeustion:

Do you plug any albedo maps, for example from cgtextures ? And then work the normal map from it? Or all your colors for wood and marble and stone are coming from nodes from Substance Designer ? I cant wrap my head around it.

And can you link any specific tutorials to Substance Designer? Maybe some unknown channel or smth. I cant break through Substance :<
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    this is great work, love your wood material, Im trying to do something similar with sculpted stone and green marble myself at the moment.
  • Vincent_DEROZIER
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Mr Significiant and thanks ! No there is no images here, only procedural noises and patterns which are blended which each others. That marble is still very WIP, I'm trying to figure out how reproduce the mineral feeling you have when you take a look at it, it's next to wood but with more depth in the reflection.

Basically if you know how to use photoshop you know how to use Substance :) .
    The way you work is completely depending on which material you want to do.

For exemple if you are working on bricks or others materials with strong surface patterns, it's better to start with your Height map, then you will create your Albedo reusing your heights informations for gradient maps, after that you will obtain everything you need for your Roughness because you have worked in black and white you can reuse any step as a mask or a add or subtrack to any other stratas. Link everything to everything and you will obtain a nice Substance Factory :) .

There for the Marble, because it's suppose to be a flat and polished surface I had to start with the Albedo but in black and white, like always.

If you want to start in Substance take a look at the amazing Rogelio Olguin Gnomon which is the most complete tutorial right now :
    http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/store/product/1149/#.VhqEy_l_NBc

There is a lot of good video directly on the Allegorithmic channel as well, really clear and efficients tips right there :
    https://www.youtube.com/user/Allegorithmic

And something else maybe no one does really, open the materials which are already in Substance and take a look at them, they are the source of everything, made with the first version of substance so they are pretty efficient. Don't be scared by the size of the graphs, just click on the first node and the next and try to understand what is happening at every steps. You will find a lot :) .

Hey GED , can't wait to see your result man and steahl your secrets :)
  • Vincent_DEROZIER
    Offline / Send Message
    Where I am so far with the Marble :

MarbleWIP-VincentD%25C3%25A9rozier.jpg

Can't achieve to have the same result in Marmoset without hacking it too much, so for now the render on the Left is coming from Substance and don't have shadows :(
  • Vincent_DEROZIER
    Offline / Send Message
    Just finish this buddy today :
    vincent-derozier-vincent-derozier-rough-stone.jpg?1445275353

vincent-derozier-vincent-derozier-rough-stone-white.jpg?1445275238

Back to the marble now :)
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    interesting crumbly bits but the shapes look a bit too smooth and blobby in my opinion, maybe the parrallax height is just a bit too strong, are they paving stones that people have walked on?
  • DanielR17
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Vincent,

I often work in Designer with the Tesselation Parallax shader to start things up. Then I move on to the physically_mettalic_roughness shader to finish.

You seem to be using the physically_specular_glossiness. Is this correct? And if so, is it because you use Marmoset Toolbag to render the textures?
  • Vincent_DEROZIER
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged--- You are right, I have add a normal blend to "rotate" my stones but I think it's too violent, need to simplify my height a little bit. Those stone are for walls by the way.

DanielR17--- You are right, for this texture I use the Specular/Glossiness workflow, but I'm working with both depending on my mood and the engine I want to put it in afterward :) . Marmoset handle both Workflows.
  • Vincent_DEROZIER
    Offline / Send Message
    I just have share my Graphs recently for the height map of my cliff, maybe that could interest some of you :

vincent-derozier-vincent-derozier-canyon-cliff-vincent-derozier.jpg?1445214964

vincent-derozier-rock-graph-base.jpg?1445362346

vincent-derozier-vincent-derozier-rock-graph-part-1.jpg?1445362350
  • DanielR17
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the aligned sections of your graph. It's pretty clean. One question: Do you always work from photo references?
  • Vincent_DEROZIER
    Offline / Send Message
    DanielR17 >>>> yeah I try, except when I just want to relax and see what happen

Here is my last stuff, my entry to the Substance Share Contest, an Abandoned Hotel Marble Floor :

Will submit it when my graph are clean .
  • Vincent_DEROZIER
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Daniel ! Yes I always use references even if I create patterns or original materials.

Here is my cartoon entry for the substance share challenge. I have try to create an Overwatch texture which can be use on a lot of architectural elements.

• armagon
    Offline / Send Message
    @Vincent_DEROZIER, please share the source substance for that gorgeous cliff!
  • Vincent_DEROZIER
    Offline / Send Message
    Armagedon ------I like the render of that Cliff but not the Graph, it's a big mess :0  Will clean it if you really want it though.

Working on my last entry for the challenge in the fantasy category, still a lot to do but almost finish the first part

• EpicBeardMan
    Offline / Send Message
    EpicBeardMan polycounter lvl 8
    I really like your workflow of combining base materials with masks and getting the finished textured mesh.
    If I may ask, how do you make those greyscale masks?

Cheers!
  • Vincent_DEROZIER
    Offline / Send Message
    Epicbeardman>>> all the masks have been made in substance, some are SVG, Selection or even both blended with noises.
  • EpicBeardMan
    Offline / Send Message
    EpicBeardMan polycounter lvl 8
    @Vincent_DEROZIER thanks for the response. Gotta look into it since it seems like a really nice and fairly efficient workflow for some unique, non-modular meshes.

Cheers!
  • Vincent_DEROZIER
    Offline / Send Message
    Trying to speed up my workflow of  Cliff creation by using the same than in ZBrush. Seems to work for now, need to redo it on a real material.

what did you guys think about it ?
  • armagon
    Offline / Send Message
    Amazing! Have you tried exporting only the height and using it as a displacement modifier on Max to create some actual cliff geometry?
  • Vincent_DEROZIER
    Offline / Send Message
    Armagon »»» Don,t tried it in Max, there is already  some Displacement on the mesh directly in Designer as you can see :) .

Here is my entry for the Fantasy Category on the Substance share challenge

• Y_M
    Offline / Send Message
    Y_M polycounter lvl 10
    Downloaded and took a look at the Egyptian one and I'm wondering how you keep something like that in your head. It's phenomenally complex. I poured over it for a fair while before I even really began to understand what was going on.

I'd love to know more about how a texture this complex grows from the first node to the final form.

Do you work all in one graph to begin with then separate bits out as you're done with each?

The values you separate out into parameters (for example the weathering and pit amounts on the stone graphs) do you create the entire stone graph then find two sets of good values for the cleaner/weathered stone sections, or do you have two variations on the go?

• Vincent_DEROZIER
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Y_M, happy that you find that stuff interetsing :)
    To be honnest everything in those my material is pretty simple. Here are the main steps of that Overwatch Fanart :

I always start just with the layout, working on what I call "naked material", the layout is never final but help me to find the level of detail I want and how I want to work my edges. I work it in a classical way just trying to get a good simple result.

Because I want to be able to use it as a dynamic material and change my Layout or add height detail, I focus on keeping everything clean and always put aside all my Masks or layouts generators. Those will become my "Inputs".
    Most of the time only 3 types of Inputs are needed to get enough variations
    -Layout
    -Height Adds
    -Mask To break the tiling

I work in a way that at the end those Node will come from outside my material as an "Input". 
    When I'm happy with the result I expose my parameters, not before.

When I have that I work the same way on all my "naked material" to have all my material before going into my master node which is the final texture.

Then I start my "Master Material" which is the final texture. I link all my "Naked materials" with a Multi blend Node and set all the entries according to a different color.  Then I spend a big amount of time on a black and white material just creating my layout and all the mask I will need according my Layouts Inputs and a simple color Mask which will say to the multi blend node where to show which ID. 

At this step I set all the exposed parameters of the naked materials as well.

Then I can start breaking tiles and patterns with more masks according to all the Inputs I have created on my Naked Materials. The more Inputs you have, the more Mask you will have to do :) .

To finish I Blend on the top of it all my secondary materials like Paint, Sand or Dust.

Useless to say that that stuf was not made straight forward but a lot of back and forth between my Master Material and my Naked ones to fix issues, expose new parameters or create new Inputs.
     By the way the link to the SBS
    https://share.allegorithmic.com/libraries/898
    I hope that's help.
  • Y_M
    Offline / Send Message
    Y_M polycounter lvl 10
    Thanks for that! It's really useful to know how you build up such an impressive graph :smiley: 
  • Vincent_DEROZIER
    Offline / Send Message
    Just wanted to relax with some bricks 

• Poinball
    Offline / Send Message
    Poinball polycounter lvl 6
    Nice Work Vincent ;)
  • oxygencube
    Offline / Send Message
    oxygencube polycounter lvl 8
    These are looking great! I'm hoping to get a copy of Substance for Xmas. This program looks like a dream. I'm still making my textures from scratch in Zbrush/NDO.
  • Vincent_DEROZIER
    Offline / Send Message
    My last work in progress for a personnal scene. Lot of materials to do still :) .

• Vincent_DEROZIER
    Offline / Send Message
    Kept working on my scene, building a library of materials before going anywhere. First attempt for a grassy texture. C and C are welcome :)
  • Vincent_DEROZIER
    Offline / Send Message
    A naked Metal I'm working on. This material is meant to be apply on props and architectural texture afterward.

• gloriousczar
    Offline / Send Message
    gloriousczar polycounter lvl 6
    Hey this stuff is pretty cool! I think the metal might have a bit too much warble in the normal map. I really like the grass though and all the colour variations you got in there.