Home Technical Talk

Filenaming, what's your way?

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
SimonT interpolator
I currently collect some opinions about foldernames, filenames & filenaming in Game Development for a small article. If you want, feel free to drop your tips, resources, experiences, etc ...

Questions

1. Which information do you add were to your filename?
(date, author, digits, ...)

2. How do you separate words in a filename?
houseSmall01.fbx
house small 01.fbx
house_small_01.fbx
house-small-01.fbx

3. Do you (and why) use numbers or letters to "numerize" files?
house_small_01.fbx
house_small_a.fbx

4. Do you describe the specific content of the file or do you stay generic?
Specific: ship_xl_pirateScoutRed01.fbx
Generic: ship_xl_pirate01.fbx

5. Do you use a lot folders with less files or do you prefer a flat hierarchy where every folder then contains a bit more files?

6. What's you opinion about long filenames?
If you for example include the folderstructure within the filename you get a unique filename and always know where to find the file (even without looking at the folders): \ships\xl\ships_xl_ship01.fbx

7. If you have long filenames, what's your experience with performance?
For example while hashing them.

8. If you have different races/locations in the game, do you sort them via folder or via filename?
Via Folder:
\desert\houses\house01.fbx
\jungle\houses\house02.fbx

Via File:
\houses\house_desert01.fbx
\houses\house_jungle01.fbx

9. If you see an asset in your game, how exactly do you find out where exactly it's located on your HDD?

10. Do you have a filename convention documentation and everyone knows where to find it?

What would you like to add? :)

Replies

• Valandar
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    I'd think filename conventions would be entirely dependant on the project director.
  • AdvisableRobin
    Offline / Send Message
    AdvisableRobin polycounter lvl 10
    The most important thing is that you are consistent. I also like using camel-casing, I find it to be more readable. Ex. smallHouse, smellyChair, etc.
  • Dickie
    Offline / Send Message
    Dickie polycounter lvl 9
    1.I don’t want filenames to change so there would be no date or author info.

2. camel case any words which are together and underscore any words which are a different level of identification i.e. Env_LightHouse_Door.fbx

3/4. I prefer descriptives instead of letters or numbers, and if you’re doing it for versioning then it needs to be cleaned up before becoming part of everyone else’s project.

5. having lots of folders makes it much harder to look over a small to medium amount of information/assets in my experience, if you’re being explicit with your naming you shouldn’t have too much issue. If I have to sort through a folder structure which is an asset folder with every asset has a separate folder which contains a folder for mesh/textures/materials I would throttle you but my RSI probably wont let me from all the clicking I’ve had to do to see your assets.

6/7. unique is good, never been told of any performance issues we’ve had around them, don’t think it’s ever become a bottleneck.

8. question of project scope. How many houses you got, how many environments you got.

9. Unity magic

10. yep though tend to work in small teams so some of it gets out of date/evolved via word of mouth at times
  • SimonT
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
    Thank you for your feedback @dickie :)
  • claydough
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough polycounter lvl 10
    there is a limit in windows to filename length between nested directories ( compounded ) so I usually try to find a balance between how descriptive and organization that doesn't needlessly nest directories.
  • ngw
    Offline / Send Message
    ngw polycounter lvl 5
    xx_yyy_zzz_CamelCase01(_a01)

xx = project abbreviation, two or three letters.

yyy = type of asset, eg. UI , env, char, FX . Sometimes an asset might have a few of these in succession, for example a material to be used on additive particels would have FX_Parti_add in the name.

zzz = game level/region. If the asset is game-wide then I use "gnrc", to list it as generic (global).

Then a descriptive name for the asset, camel-cased. I prefer to write "ChairSmelly" than "SmellyChair".

Then the number... this is used even if I don't think there will be more than one version/iteration.

The bracketed part is very rarely used... only if an asset has submeshes that for some reason need to be exported separately.

I tend to use a reasonably deep folder heirarchy, trying not to have files of different types in the same folder. However this doesn't really matter too much in practice as it's rare I go hunting for files this way : I more typically type a search term to filter by & the file naming system is detailed & consistent enough to give me good results.
  • SimonT
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
    claydough
    Yes the max. length of path+filename is 260 characters. Thanks for your comment!

ngw
    Cool that you wrote down all the details!

I like that you use numbers even if there's "right now" only the one asset but this avoids to have later e.g. smellyChair.fbx and smellyChair02.fbx.

Also i think it's really nice that you include the project name in the filename, but this helps to make the filename unique ... really interesting!

What's your experience in renaming stuff like if you named the chair "chairSmelly" but then a quest-designer comes and states that the chair isn't smelly anymore but now it's for example old, heavy or whatnot. Is there any function to rename all files and Database links at once?
  • Fwap
    Offline / Send Message
    Fwap polycounter lvl 13
    C:/users/fwap/desktop/erihwefjijibwerfbweg.jpg
  • SimonT
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
    Fwap
    Yes, that's the best way :D Like
    c:/simon/crap/maybeitsarobot-finalfinal_backup test_finished3.fbx
  • floon
    Offline / Send Message
    floon greentooth
    LoL! I wrote about three pages renting about the old folder structure in our project...then I realised you also work in the game industry and have probably seen worst.
    Just think of problems you had with naming conventions - we had them all!

What now works best in our !small project:

- deep hierarchy
    i.e. ../art/characters/faction/charactertyp/textures/characterMasterTexture.psd
    takes some discipline, but by that everybody can find anything and it keeps filenames shorter

- use numbers to iterate:
    i.e. CharacterDiffuse1.png
    I think 1 works just like 001, since the reasoning for 00 would be"you don't know how many there might be", for the exact same reason you can just stick to single numbers IMHO
    NEVER use something like _final. trust me it's not :D

-use camel case/pascal case:
    i.e. characterDaytimeDiffuse/CharacterDaytimeDiffuse
    takes less space then separating specifics via _ (goes perfectly along with a deeper hierarchy)
    and is just as well readable

- stay generic
    i.e. OgreDiffuse1 instead of JohnDiffuse1
    stuff changes, stay flexible, stay generic :D
    (again goes well in hand with a deeper folder structure, since you can just put specifics in the folder name, which then can be quickly changed)

- abbreviations are ok, but only if everybody knows them
    i.e.NormalMap=NM
    just make it clear to everybody you work with and agree on a standard

- have an "export folder" for every asset, which ALWAYS has the most up to date file,
    so you and people know where to find an engine ready asset at all time.

-for tests I have a "temp" folder, where I would save without hesitation "asd.psd" but delete that every evening
  • claydough
    Offline / Send Message
    cly_
    prefix on my mel scripts. I think it's well known TA law using someone's established mel prefix is a punishable offense.

cly_camelCase.mel : cly general
    cly_gpHungarianNotation : cly global procedures
  • Lt_Commander
    Offline / Send Message
    Lt_Commander polycounter lvl 10
    I previously worked mostly in source modding so I learned a lot of fundamentals from the structure in half-life 2 and other valve games, but right now I'm on an indie team working in unity. I got to help create some conventions for the project, but these below are just my internal rule of thumb.

1. Which information do you add were to your filename?

None, unless it's specifically a test object that I'm planning on deleting later. Usually that's like _altrig, _lightmapUV _placeholder or something that clearly shouldn't end up shipped. Windows' 'Date modified' field helps keep me organized with the age of files.

2. How do you separate words in a filename?

house_small01.fbx
    house_small01_garageDoor.fbx
    (if that object fit only on the top level mesh and it needed to be split)
    house_small01_destroyed.fbx (if it had a damage state, etc)
    house_small01_gib01.fbx

Underscores for more sweeping 'this is a house' and camelcase if it's an adjective or something. I'd definitely make something like door_fire before fireDoor, but not if it doesn't make sense in plain english, shelf_book vs bookShelf or container_cargo vs cargoContainer. That said, if there was a huge list of containers that it was a set of, then I'd probably prefix container.

3. Do you (and why) use numbers or letters to "numerize" files?

Numbers, usually 2 digit, and only if I know there'll be a set of similar things before I start - Having 01 after everything is just wasting space. I do occasionally add _a, _b, etc if it's variant of the same object that is too long or specific to give a subname and isn't tied to a system (like snow or fire damage). So I'd probably give an _a or _b instead of like _postcutscene, _wet, _subsurface, or whatnot.

Source's hammer works in inches and powers of 2 for the grid and lacked an easy way to determine mesh dimensions or even mesh scale in preview, so I'd usually split up environment art by using _128 or _512 instead of _short or _long for meshes like pipes or repeating wall sections, but those weren't specifically enumerated.

4. Do you describe the specific content of the file or do you stay generic?

I start generic and try to stay generic, but something specific will get a subname if I want that feature to be keyword searchable. (house_small01_garageDoor - I might want to look for garage props or doors by filename)

5. Do you use a lot folders with less files or do you prefer a flat hierarchy where every folder then contains a bit more files?

I find that folders split by environment/level are best for my workflow - it's a learned habit from the sourcemodding days where you may need to pack map files with props in the map. That said, I'll break things up into subfolders if it starts turning into a swamp of files.

6. What's you opinion about long filenames?

I don't mind a verbose filename if it's descriptive (to a point), I would rather push character limits then try and decode someone else's shorthand or my own from years ago. The key is readability in a list and searchability by keyword

7. If you have long filenames, what's your experience with performance?

I can't say I've put too much stock into end performance of the application, but I have experienced 'the epic search to find that one mesh with a cryptically short name' before, if that counts.

8. If you have different races/locations in the game, do you sort them via folder or via filename?

An extension of 5, but I'd probably split things into functional use and then env, so:

character/jungle/..
    env/jungle/..
    weapons/jungle/..

before I'd:

jungle/character/..

/env/
    /weapons/

If only because I've made the mistake of the latter before - I think knowing how many NPC meshes you have would be more important then knowing how big a specific art set would be.

9. If you see an asset in your game, how exactly do you find out where exactly it's located on your HDD?

Well nowadays, most engine tools have awesome search features, but I still have some old folder structures hard-coded into the muscle memory of my right hand.

10. Do you have a filename convention documentation and everyone knows where to find it?

We have our conventions listed in our internal development wiki, only because it was quicker to provide a link then it was to list issues every-time something was pushed into the repo in the wrong spot.
  • SimonT
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
    floon
    ../art/characters/faction/charactertyp/textures/characterMasterTexture.psd

That's an interesting one because the information is doubled at the end. In theory it would be enough to have "/charactertyp/textures/master.psd" because that it is a character and a texture is already stated in folder structure. Is there a special reason for you to do it that way?
    for the exact same reason you can just stick to single numbers IMHO

Good point. I'm kind of old school and remember that Windows 95 (?) sorted the filenames in a weird way (1, 10, 2, 3, ...) which is called "lexicographic sorting" (http://programmers.stackexchange.com/questions/127639/why-do-some-sorting-methods-sort-by-1-10-2-3) but i just tested it in Windows 8.1 and there it's perfectly fine. I don't know how it is with all the engines and asset management tools, but if they do it right, I think your way is a really good one.
    have an "export folder"

What I saw is to have an "[asset]" folder (with those brackets) and an "asset" folder. The first one would be ignored when building a release-version (every folder with [...] would be ignored) and the "asset" folder contains the exact same folder/file hierarchy like the "[assets]" folder. I liked this because then you exactly know where to find your Source-File.

claydough

Good point! I added sometimes a project prefix to my scripts when they're really only made for this project.

Lt_Commander

Thanks for the long comment! :)
    container_cargo vs cargoContainer

I prefer the first one because like you said, it groups all container together. It's only sad if you at the beginning plan only with one container and later there's a decision to make more and then the naming system doesn't fit. That's why I most of the times go way1 even if there's (right now) only one asset of this type.

How do you handle such future-planing?
    so I'd usually split up environment art by using _128 or _512 instead of _short or _long for meshes like pipes

That's a good one! I mean having the numbers make it extreme specific and if you have to shorten it later the filename doesn't match anymore but this even happens when you use "short" and "long" and what's when you need an even bigger pipe. "longer"? "longlong"? :D Always a hard decision.
    I'll break things up into subfolders if it starts turning into a swamp of files.

So the source engine supports easy file renaming, moving of files etc?
    weapons/jungle/..

What I always find hard to match is when assets consist of different types. For example a weapon. It has the weapon, a bullet, an impact fx and a muzzleflash. So it would be possible to split every asset type...

weapon\ak-47.fbx
    bullet\ak-47.fbx
    fx\weapon\ak-47_muzzle.fbx
    fx\weapon\ak-47_impact.fbx

...or nesting it like...

weapon\ak-47.fbx
    weapon\bullet\ak-47.fbx
    weapon\fx\ak-47_muzzle.fbx
    weapon\fx\ak-47_impact.fbx

I'm never sure what's better. Or even create one folder only for the ak-47 which then contains all assets?
  • Thane-
    Offline / Send Message
    Thane- polycounter lvl 3
    SimonT wrote: »
    Fwap
    Yes, that's the best way :D Like
    c:/simon/crap/maybeitsarobot-finalfinal_backup test_finished3.fbx

That got me to LOL :)

backup test_finished3.... :D

I'd put that quote in my sig if we had sigs.
    Dickie wrote: »
    5. having lots of folders makes it much harder to look over a small to medium amount of information/assets in my experience, if you’re being explicit with your naming you shouldn’t have too much issue. If I have to sort through a folder structure which is an asset folder with every asset has a separate folder which contains a folder for mesh/textures/materials I would throttle you but my RSI probably wont let me from all the clicking I’ve had to do to see your assets.

Thank you for that, i use too many folder i think, using different prefixes sounds like a dream now...
  • defragger
    Offline / Send Message
    defragger sublime tool
    we are using something like this at work which can be really annoying sometimes:

\VirtualWorlds\Unity\ProjectName\Assets\Architecture\gbt\textures\emergency_phone_01.png

I try to avoid deep folder structure on personal projects:

assets\stage_1\textures\cliff_1_albedo.png
    assets\foliage\tree_1\tree_1_albedo.png (no need for a textures folder because there is a folder for each plant with only few files in it)

- few folders
    - single-digit numbers
    - lower case characters
    - underscore is your friend :\
  • sprunghunt
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    floon wrote: »
    I think 1 works just like 001, since the reasoning for 00 would be"you don't know how many there might be", for the exact same reason you can just stick to single numbers IMHO

Iterating across multiple files in a single folder isn't very professional and in my experience can cause problems.

What you should do is use source control and check in regular revisions while you're working on the file. Having multiple versions always causes problems with others not understanding which file is the latest. It's much simpler for there to be only one source file which is always the correct version. Also check-ins aren't on your personal HD and so are less likely to get lost in an accident.

Perforce is free to companies under a certain size:
    http://www.perforce.com/company/newsletter/2012/02/perforce-now-free-20-users

you could also use something like tortoise SVN:
    http://tortoisesvn.net/
  • Denny
    Offline / Send Message
    Denny polycounter lvl 14
    I would advice using numbers instead of letters for suffixes, for example _01, because it helps if a programmer wants to use naming conventions and then through code say "give me the five first". It is convenient at times. It is also like SimonT said, some operating systems and apps use lexicographic sorting and adding that zero will help the files be properly ordered by name.

Every project should establish a separate naming convention that works for that project. I even vote for it being a punishable offence not to follow the convention. I have worked on projects where artists and programmers alike push their personal taste and break conventions... So no comments on code submits and no naming conventions on the files and the argument is always "I want to focus on work, not bookkeeping!". It's more important throwing this crap at team members and expecting others to be their mind reader, just knowing where they put the "tv2a.tga" file for the tree alpha. "What? It is obvious t stands for tree!".

I suggest getting a member on the team with OCD-tendencies to be the judge, jury and executioner of the file structure. It may be annoying at first, but this person will save you hours or even days of work in the future when you see that a simple script can do a batch of work in minutes, instead of manual work for days, because the naming convention allows to automate the process.
  • SimonT
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
    Thane-

Actually I've a signature. Do you don't have the "Edit Signature" Link in your User CP?

defragger

What exactly is annoying for you when it comes to deep folder structures? I think in Unity you can click on an object and open its folder directly, isn't it? But do you still have to dig through folder structures for other reasons?

I wonder if it would be useful for personal projects where every object has one folder anyway, to name the files without the objects name like:

assets\foliage\tree_1\albedo.png
    assets\foliage\tree_1\normal.png
    assets\foliage\tree_1\model.fbx

sprunghunt

Really good point! Normally I would be totally on your side but personally I only worked in smaller companies where no version control system was used for assets. IF you hve one, then of course there's no need for having several iterations of a file in a folder.

Denny

How could that "punishment" look like? Personally I think two ways could work well:

1. The project only accepts "correct" filenames and if you don't use the right conventions your asset will just not be visible/usable in the game. In one of the last projects for example we saved the Maxfiles on the server and clicked "Export" BUT we DIDN'T define the filename of the exported file! The name was the same like he Max-File which avoided the situation that you've an exported file like "tree1.fbx" the but Max-File is missing and you've no idea where it got exported from because the artist who made the tree exported it from \users\artist\desktop\test\foilage_collection_002.max and forgot to place the file on the server.

2. Good tools which create folders and files for you. I imagine a UI where you just tell what you want to create e.g. "tree" in level "desert" and the tools know how many trees are already there, what files are needed, where it has to place them and the programmer or artist or designer don't have to think about filenames at all. They just have to tell what they want the the rest is handled by the tool.

3. A person like you suggested which defines the names already before you start working on the asset and writes them into your task-list. So that the artist/designer/programmer reads the task description and knows what to do and how to name stuff. Of course, this might be a fulltime job for the planning person.

I already mentioned above that I wish for an easy way to rename files (so that all connected systems like databases and the files on the HDD get updated automatically) and I remembered another reason for that: Sometimes you want to change the project structures but another reason are mistakes!
    I remember funny stories like that I had my mind somewhere else while naming and instead of the cutscene name "meet_yisha" i named it "meat_yisha" ... you can tell that I'm not a native English-speaker ;)
    When it came to cockpit effects and stuff i shortened them by using cock_explosion etc. which might be a bit weird to look at if you're a modder and don't have the context. That's why I renamed them before release in cpit_explosion...
  • defragger
    Offline / Send Message
    defragger sublime tool
    Yes I have to dig through folders a lot. Everytime a texture or mesh needs just a five min rework the deep folder structure takes another five minuts just to locate stuff. Switching between projects frequently is a nightmare. The object to be changed is not necessarily placed in a unity scene. 90% of the stuff gets pulled in by code when needed.

To make it even more irritating there are "shared" folders. Because sometimes stuff is used on multiple projects. :poly127:

And now imagine the new guy permanently asking "where is this, ... or that".

Many thanks to the devs of Clover. Best tool ever made !!! :poly142:

Subversion is also a must have !!
    I wonder if it would be useful for personal projects where every object has one folder anyway, to name the files without the objects name like:

assets\foliage\tree_1\albedo.png
    assets\foliage\tree_1\normal.png
    assets\foliage\tree_1\model.fbx
    Our Game-Editor does not display the whole path and also no preview for textures at the moment. Only filenames. So naming it only albedo is not ideal in this case. But in another constellation ... yes.
  • SimonT
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
    Really interesting points! Thanks man!
    defragger wrote: »
    Our Game-Editor does not display the whole path and also no preview for textures at the moment. Only filenames. So naming it only albedo is not ideal in this case. But in another constellation ... yes.

This is what is was like in another project where I worked at and it's the reason why I like the idea to even put the folder structure in the filename to find stuff fast - or get better tools :D
  • Denny
    Offline / Send Message
    Denny polycounter lvl 14
    SimonT: Good points there. It's always good to try to automate process' so the team can focus on actual production, but sometimes there are boring tasks that has to be done manually. Sorry if the rest of my comment is coming across as aggressive, but it is in no way directed at you personally. I just find that neglecting this is irresponsible and downright naive. "No mommy, I don't want to eat the vegetables."
    How could that "punishment" look like?
    My comment on punishment only refers to developers who can't think outside their own task lists and deliberately do not care about structure or conventions. Be it in file names, scene structure or code. Some people don't even change their habits after having a calm discussion about the importance of this. I would take it so far as to first give a warning, if the issue continues the person should be fired.

Yes, that's how important this is. You could say I dislike working with people who thinks it's fine to offload hours and days of work on another person because "structure is boring". Some people don't even understand this, perhaps out of inexperience. Anyone who has been introduced and have had the explanation of its importance should not have a reason to neglect it in the future. So to anyone who reads this and wonders about the importance of conventions... Every time you break the convention you shit on someone else's productivity. Don't be the needle in the eye, the itch that can't be scratched, the friggin' Clippy of the team. That's all.
  • SimonT
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
    Denny

I see this pretty similar. I had big problems pushing for some conventions during my study especially because you don't have anything to say to you co-students. You're not their boss.
    Luckily my experience in the "real" industry is way better! Sure not everyone has the same attitude to naming and documentation, but at least its way better then during studies. :D
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    floon wrote: »

just no

use a file versioning system. be it perforce, or alienbrain, svn whatever

you don't need characterxy_d.psd to appear a bazillion times. just use one name and use revisions from your server in case you need them. which very rarely should be the case
  • SimonT
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
    Neox wrote: »
    use a file versioning system. be it perforce, or alienbrain, svn whatever

I thought this was meant to differentiate several characters. Not using the numbers as iteration-counter for file-versioning. But i might be wrong :)
  • DavidCruz
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator
    I got into the bad habit of saving after a bit of work and end up with model_1 (start) of Model_25 (final) or so. Makes for good animated gif progressions but uhg i really dislike working like that and that is because of the fears of working in the past where apps just loved to crash, I dread this so i can't drop the habit. :(

What is really a nightmare are the texture map bake files, oy!poly122.gif
    Edit:
    I just checked the latest one, 437 files... i'll take my leave now. poly136.gif thats one design/project not multiple, its personal work also but still.
  • Thane-
    Offline / Send Message
    Thane- polycounter lvl 3
    Thane-
    Actually I've a signature. Do you don't have the "Edit Signature" Link in your User CP?

Thanks, i didn't know this forum even had signatures.

Testing here to see if the signature i entered shows up on new posts...(?)

edit: eh newp...

edit2: but it showed up in another post.

"C:/simon/crap/maybeitsarobot-finalfinal_backup test_finished3.fbx" -SimonT 2015, A.D.

:)
  • marks
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    Luckily my experience in the "real" industry is way better! Sure not everyone has the same attitude to naming and documentation, but at least its way better then during studies. :D

Content management tools deal with all the file naming here. Artists don't touch it really. Makes life much easier :D
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    marks wrote: »
    Content management tools deal with all the file naming here. Artists don't touch it really. Makes life much easier :D

which tool and how do you handle it? ;)
  • marks
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    By writing the tools ourselves and telling them to do whatever we want :D

I mean naming conventions can be kinda anything that reasonably makes sense, the important thing is that they are consistent. Letting tools deal with the names means its always consistent :D
  • SimonT
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
    marks wrote: »
    By writing the tools ourselves and telling them to do whatever we want :D

I mean naming conventions can be kinda anything that reasonably makes sense, the important thing is that they are consistent. Letting tools deal with the names means its always consistent :D

Are you able to show such a tool (maybe in form of a screenshot) and how it deals with special cases - if you have such things?
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Half of my file names are stuff like, Blah, blah1, BLahNEEDuvs, BLAHexploded, BlahExploded2, BlahExplodedFinal, BlahExplodedFinalFinal, Blahingame, blahingame2.
  • LaurentiuN
    Offline / Send Message
    LaurentiuN interpolator
    Fwap wrote: »
    C:/users/fwap/desktop/erihwefjijibwerfbweg.jpg

I use this alot when saving printscreen with Snipping Tool :)))
  • claydough
    Offline / Send Message
    I do not really enumerate for final version or sorting. But View files sorted by date anyway. in which case filename should help me discern if the last file modified is final or just an edit state. But for some reason I can not get expected behavior from any of the Date details like Date Modified Date last saved Date completed etc etc...
    Simply the "Date" tag/column always seems to be the most easily predictable column to sort with. Organized and Quickest way to sift through zillions of a series of a projects versions. ( 5 year long projects and date generalization is the easiest way for me to zero in the file I want by remembering the time period )