Home General Discussion

Akira - The hollywood remake gets greenlit..

Replies

• Blond
    Offline / Send Message
    Blond polycounter lvl 9
    Jeremy-S wrote: »
    I see a lot of people here upset over the news, or at least faking being upset. but no one is acting the least bit surprised. That's kinda funny. It speaks to more people getting fed up with hollywood shitting on us, with stupid remakes, and movies based on toys, and old tv shows. I'm wondering when the hollywood machine will die out, and get replaced by something else. Hopefully soon

The moment other film industry will actually put time in their special FX...
  • Mstankow
    Offline / Send Message
    Mstankow polycounter lvl 11

The guy who ruined his last movie by changing the ending because he thought the original ending was too morose. (The rest of Interstellar was great. But such a bad ending.)

The guy who failed at making a super convoluted movie with The Dark Knight Rises.
  • blankslatejoe
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 18
    The best news for me from that link is that they're planning a trilogy now, and not a single film. I must have missed when they announced that. I was always a little dissapointed by the Akira anime because it trimmed so much of the story. I remember the comic being SUPER dense.
  • low odor
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    Hopefully it's not the same bullshit script that white washes all the characters and takes place in new york.
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Thankfully enough, regardless of the movie(s) being okay or awful this is never going to ruin the original manga and movie.
    On that note, time to rewatch it once more !
  • Needles
    Offline / Send Message
    Needles polycounter lvl 19
    I rather see a well done akira anime series than a damn movie trilogy.

I want to see future 80s tokyo not future new york from a western point of view.

If anyone has read the manga and saw the original ending then you know how the author felt about
    foreigners meddling with Japanese affairs.
  • ysalex
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Akira is one of my all-time favorite movies, and no bad remake is going to ruin the original for me.

My opinion about the new york location goes for the ghost in the shell remake as well, and nobody shoot me but:

The setting of Akira is Japanese, but the story & themes (power, helplessness) are universal. The location doesn't make much a difference to a remake, its the themes that are important. If they knock it out of the park theme wise, story wise, then I don't care about the location at all. I am never overly sentimental with source material, its just never bothered me seeing x thing change into y thing.

That said, Akira is one of my favorite movies of all time because its gorgeous, and Neo-Tokyo provides the backdrop for that. Changing the location is a good way to just gut a huge part of what made the anime so appealing to me.

The decision to set the movie in NY was made by someone somewhere above the creatives because they think that it will create more mass appeal. I can understand the attempted thinking behind the decision but its clearly wrong-headed. Hopefully the creatives working on it can take the poor decision and do their best with it.
  • Steve Schulze
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    For a movie series that's actually worth watching, I think they'd be far better to take a look at the elements that were interesting, put the rest to one side and make something new.

My favourite example of this sort of thing is people working with La Jetee as an inspiriation which has resulted in both 12 Monkeys and Looper. Two very different movies with a few similarities at the core. And Bruce Willis.
  • ErichWK
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    I welcome this idea. If it follows the Manga more and goes in depth on what happens When Akira becomes king, oh man. That would be sweet. It's like a sci fi mad max at that point.
  • JacqueChoi
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    They should just put this review on every asian film remake:

old-boy-remake-bootleg-crop.jpg?w=650

Why doesn't Hollywood cast Japanese Actors and set it in Neo-Tokyo?

:/
  • Needles
    Offline / Send Message
    Needles polycounter lvl 19
    JacqueChoi wrote: »

old-boy-remake-bootleg-crop.jpg?w=650

Mass market appeal.

Akira has never been about mass market appeal. Same reason there was no mad max for 30 years.

The good post apocalypse is not pretty or happy. Or full of good looking people.

And even fury road was stuffed with supermodels to balance the rest of the cast. This movie will piss me off to the 10th degree.

Now i know how fans of anything with a cult following that goes on the big screen feel like. An akira movie would be my transformers movie T____T
  • Steve Schulze
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    JacqueChoi wrote: »

https://uproxx.files.wordpress.com/2014/02/old-boy-remake-bootleg-crop.jpg?w=650

Actually that just reminded me of a better example of what I was talking about earlier - the Infernal Affairs/The Departed remake. The same essential story taken in a quite different, appropriately Western direction with a pretty decent result. I can't see any reason why something similar couldn't be done with Akira.
  • Gmanx
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    pior wrote: »
    Thankfully enough, regardless of the movie(s) being okay or awful this is never going to ruin the original manga and movie.
    On that note, time to rewatch it once more !

QFT: KANEDAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
  • ENODMI
    Offline / Send Message
    ENODMI polycounter lvl 14
  • Mstankow
    Offline / Send Message
    Mstankow polycounter lvl 11