Home Quixel Megascans

IN PROGRESS: Materials not working (pattern issue perhaps?)

Hey, I've run into another issue with the Suite. I've noticed many of the materials simply don't work, and only produce flat color without any actual "texture".
The issue is with most, but not all materials.

When going into the blending options of a layer of a material that doesn't work, and looking at the "pattern overlay", the pattern is "?".

I'm guessing for some reason some but not all patterns are being installed. However, I tried to do an uninstall and reinstall and the problem persists, even though I installed it on a different hard drive.

Any help would be appreciated.

Replies

• Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    Are you using Photoshop Creative Cloud? If so, try downgrading to CS6 and run it again. We've had similar issues at the office and using CS6 fixed it.
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Try reseting photoshop preferences, this usually solves this bug!
  • Panzerdraco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Panzerdraco polycounter lvl 5
    I have this issue too. Happens after I apply the first material - any subsequent materials will not have surface textures, even after deleting the first material.

Resetting Photoshop CC preferences had no effect.

EDIT: Found that the bug seems to do with the Pattern Overlay effect in Photoshop on the layers. It will say that Pattern Overlay is enabled in the layer panel, but checking it in the Effects menu says otherwise.

Re-enabling Pattern Overlay seems to fix the material effect, but I still notice some errors with the resulting mask. Not sure what could be linked to that.
  • lildragn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lildragn polycounter lvl 17
    THis was bugging me for the past few days, and yes I came to the same conclusion as you Panzer. Also thanks Eric I'll give that a try now.

BTW, can you download older PS versions with the subscription? Gotta try that, this new version of PS is really irritating me. :(
  • lildragn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lildragn polycounter lvl 17
    Update, so like Panzer the problem persisted after resetting the prefs. Tried CS6 as Synaesthesia suggested and it works beautifully. So I'll use CS6 until 2.0 (can't wait for it!)
  • Panzerdraco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Panzerdraco polycounter lvl 5
    Confirmed that switching to CS6 fixes this issue.
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    >BTW, can you download older PS versions with the subscription?

Indeed you can.
  • Taowolf51
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Still having problems, unfortunately.

So the only thing that kinda worked out of everything in this thread was moving back to CS6. However, it didn't completely work. With some materials (most it seems), the pattern overlay is turned off, and cannot be turned on. In the "layer style" window, the "pattern overlay" is actually greyed out, preventing me from enabling it at all.

EDIT: This being greyed out seems to mean there are no patterns in photoshop, so it seems for some reason installing Quixel suite somehow not only doesn't install the necessary patterns, but also deletes the default patterns. I'm guessing it deletes all the patterns, then is supposed to install their patterns, but never ends up installing their patterns.

It seems I have no patterns at all, but oddly enough some dirt masks do still work. If I manually install each pattern it kinda works, but I don't seem to have all the patterns in my Suite folder. One that I'm trying to use is "fine leather", which is not a pattern that I can find in my Suite folder.
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    Do a clean install of the Suite and see if that helps at all.
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wiktor polycounter lvl 11
    Also, what target platform are you using when setting up the project? I know there's been a bug where if you choose UE4 patterns bug out.
  • Taowolf51
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I had done a fresh reinstall a few times, but this last time seems to have stuck. So far, it seems like everything is working, but I need to use it for a little longer before I can say for sure. :)
  • colemayhall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not sure if anyone is still having this problem... but if you are: I seemed to have fixed this by uninstalling CC 2015 and referring Quixel Suite to CS6.

I had the same problem where smart materials applied after the first would render with flat shading, and basic (bad) masking. After reverting to CS6, I applied several smart materials with no problem.
  • Howard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Howard null
    Also having this issue, using CC 2015, had no isses before on CS6. Posted an example below, 2 has the correct material applied, 1 is the same material just without any detail (the bug).

KCMkicW.jpg

Looked into the patterns overlay issue Panzerdraco mentioned and it does seem to be to do with that. As a temp fix for artist who can't swap to CS6 some materials I found that you can re-enable some detail by double clicking the affected layer in Photoshop and retick the pattern overlay layer style. You have to do this for all maps/buggy layers and this only works with some materials... so only useful if you can't swap to CS6.

tr6sw21.jpg