Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio Critique: Panda

high dynamic range
Offline / Send Message
Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
Hey Polycount:

http://choib.blogspot.com/

I want to ask ya'll for your thoughts, critiques, and specifically impressions of my portfolio as it stands, especially from a recruiter/lead/art director perspective.

I'm on the job hunt for a full-time character artist position that will at least let me work with a team till ship, but that's been elusive since I ended uni. It's mostly been short contracts here and there, fortunately. If anyone has additional questions, I can definitely answer them if it helps with your analysis.

Thank you for your time in advance!

Replies

• Blond
    Offline / Send Message
    Blond polycounter lvl 9
    I'd like to put my critic but can't since I don't have any relevant professional background however I really like it. Both the layout and the work.

I'm not too much a fan of the female model at the bottom though, it needs a bit more work but the rest is great in terms of stylized character.:D
  • Stinkfoot
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinkfoot polycounter lvl 11
    I agree with blond there's a nice array of complete models with good presentation, but the bottom one feels more like a WIP and you've got enough good stuff on there to afford to remove it.

:thumbup:
  • PolyHertz
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Nice presentation. A few thoughts:

-Get rid of the model at the bottom.
    -You need better, and far more substances, if you're going to have a section for them (the only one you show is very basic).
    -The 'La Mantis' characters wires badly need optimisation (http://i.imgur.com/ldTL610.jpg)
    -Blood Elfs skin look overexposed.
    -Red Star Trader needs a less abrupt scalp/hair transition (http://i.imgur.com/kja1XwX.jpg)
  • Joao Sapiro
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    i would add the weapons to the respective character on the same page, like the weapons for jinx on the same page, also try to put them all on one image , a 1080p would be enough, a mistake i see lots of people doing nowadays is lots of images for either simple props or a character, i would advise having the posed char , a wireframe and the material textures ( except the normal map , i dont get why people put the normal map displyed , nobody can read the normal info unless to spot mistakes on shading but that will look good due to the bakes. )

tl:dr : less images, per projects , lots of images will make it tedious to scroll down to stuff that could be easily condensed to ne image

Things i would not post :

The maestros section , its suuper long fr something simple of 2 smallish characters that dont showcase properly your skills.

Bike life , i know it was contract work , but the anatomy is funky in most of them ( not stylized , i mean funky as in the volumes look weird and so do the eyes) imo brings down the quality of the folio , except this one : http://i.imgur.com/wwI2hUG.jpg

The falchion interceptor is a wip and therefore shouldnt be there

Genera notes :

most of the wires you post from the models are badly optimized as in too many tris , or polysoup on man deformable areas , either remove the wires or try to fix it as it showcases polywaste .

Get a better domain name , right now i wont remember your websites name , it reads as unprofessional ( blogspot as a portfolio only if you are an established "rock star" )

The logo in a white background is an eyesore on a dark themed website, brings it down as it makes it look amateurish. Simplify stuff.

now get to work dude ! hope i helped !
  • stickadtroja
    Offline / Send Message
    stickadtroja polycounter lvl 11
    most important critique i could think of, is you need to get better at faces. most of them has the same disproprtionate almost cartoony sizes to eyes, nose and mouth. i recommend focusing on that, both in 2d and sculpting, for a while and do a bunch of studies.
    your props, for example the weapons to jinx has a much higher level. i really like those. good shapes and textures as far as i can see.

why are you labeling yourself solely as character artist? that easely the most compeditive position, maybe it would be a smart move to widden your aspirations to props or enviro aswell. maybe it could be a way to your ultimate goal of character artist anyway, start as props/enviro artist to get a foot in.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Thanks everyone! Taking notes as we go along :)
  • Blond
    Offline / Send Message
    Blond polycounter lvl 9
    About the Atom character, I think the model itself is fine, interms of complexity and design, the biggest flaw is lack of texture detail.
  • remotecrab131
    Offline / Send Message
    remotecrab131 polycounter lvl 5
    from Artstation (free) to things like Squarespace and Wordpress.

Artstation.

+1

+10000000