Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Super Sportmatchen - Development

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
jimsvanberg interpolator
Hi all!

Me and two friends have been working on a retro-styled sports game for a while now. I do all the visuals. Code and music/sound is done by my two friends. We call it Super Sportmatchen. It's a bit of a Swedish/English crossover naming thing :P Anyways, it looks like this:

Sportmatchen_100m_dash_by_Jim_Svanberg.png

The idea is to update this thread as we progress in the development. I will put screenshots, wip art and gif's here. As well as tell more about what goes on in the world of Super Sportmatchen ofc.

Title screen looks like this:
Sportmatchen_title_screen_by_Jim_Svanberg.png

The game itself is simple and quick multi-sporting game. Like Konami's Track & Field games. But sports in Sportmatchen is usually not found in real life. The game play varies among the sports from fast mashing to precision and timing etc. We want to cover a wide spectrum of game types =)

Character select screen can be seen here. We have four characters in atm and three sports. We're aming at maybe ten sports or so. Maybe we add more characters as well we'll see.
Sportmatchen_character_select_by_Jim_Svanberg.png

This is what it looks like when you start the game :P
Sportmatchen_title_by_Jim_Svanberg.gif

And to conclude for this time, here's some of Lembit's animations!
Sportmatchen_lembit_animations_by_Jim_Svanberg.gif

Replies

• Oskar!
    Offline / Send Message
    Oskar! polycounter lvl 12
    Awwwww yis! This looks like so much fun :D Can't to hear how the opening sounds :3
    *subscribes*
  • ayoub44
    Offline / Send Message
    ayoub44 polycounter lvl 10
    Awesome Stuff .. :D
  • chubbycat
    Offline / Send Message
    chubbycat polycounter lvl 6
    Looking very cool so far. Gonna have to keep my eye on this thread :)
  • gsilv
  • jimsvanberg
    Offline / Send Message
    jimsvanberg interpolator
    Glad you peeps like what you see ^^ More updates soon! =)
  • jimsvanberg
    Offline / Send Message
    jimsvanberg interpolator
    At the moment we have finished the whole framework with menus and everything around the sports. We also have three finished sports and two more in the works.

The first one is 100m dash. Or as we call it "100m snubbling". You use two buttons to run and have to alternate between the two or you'll faceplant and lose time. So it's a nice risk/reward thing :P
    Sportmatchen_100m_dash_by_Jim_Svanberg.png

The second sport we made was build upon the first one, but with the addition of obstacles you have to jump as well. Like hurdles. It looks like this:

Sportmatchen_250m_plint_sprint_by_Jim_Svanberg.png

The third sport we have for now is pillow-karate (has been renamed Pillow Push now). I still need to wrap up some pixels on that one so I'll post that later on. For now, here's some cheer animations ;)

Sportmatchen_cheer_by_Jim_Svanberg.gif
  • jimsvanberg
    Offline / Send Message
    jimsvanberg interpolator
    So this is a screenshot from the third sport we have now!
    Sportmatchen_pillow_push_by_Jim_Svanberg.png

It's Pillow push! :D It's the first sport were players can face off against each other. It functions like a really simple fighting game. You can move your character left and right. One button for punch and one button for parry. Each round is 10 seconds and you either push your opponent out of the ring or you are closest to the line in the middle when the time is up to win. It's much fun!
  • jimsvanberg
    Offline / Send Message
    jimsvanberg interpolator
    Here's a small update, dancing animals from the award ceremony!
    Sportmatchen_hermeliner_by_Jim_Svanberg.gif

I'll soon post an update on our latest sport BALL TOSS! =)
  • jimsvanberg
    Offline / Send Message
    jimsvanberg interpolator
    SO! Here is our next sport! It's currently something like 99% done. Ball toss!
    Sportmatchen_boll_toss_01_by_Jim_Svanberg.png
    You select the angle and the power you want for your throw, but don't forget to take the wind into consideration. Hitting the wall gives you a "X2" multiplier and going for the basket is risky but might just be worth it if you have the right skills. =)

Here's another screenshot with dirt instead of carpet. There are four different (carpet, dirt, tarmac and ice) and they all behave different.
    Sportmatchen_boll_toss_02_by_Jim_Svanberg.png

Happy ball toss!
  • clinington
    Offline / Send Message
    clinington polycounter lvl 10
    Nice art! This looks like it's going to be alot of fun :D
  • BitGem
    Offline / Send Message
    BitGem polycounter lvl 9
    HAhaha this is brilliant!! :)
  • jimsvanberg
    Offline / Send Message
    jimsvanberg interpolator
    Thanks a lot guys! New update coming soooon =)
  • acapulco
    Offline / Send Message
    acapulco polycounter lvl 9
    Amazing! Love it!
  • Aaron Barnett
    Oh cool! This looks like it will be a lot of fun! I really dig the energetic style.
  • jimsvanberg
    Offline / Send Message
    jimsvanberg interpolator
    If you put in the blood, sweat and tears, glory will be yours! ;)

Sportmatchen_awards_by_Jim_Svanberg.png
  • linwail
    Offline / Send Message
    linwail polycounter lvl 5
    very cute style :)
  • jimsvanberg
    Offline / Send Message
    jimsvanberg interpolator
    We have now launched the offical web page :smile:
    http://sportmatchen.com/

Wohoo!
  • jimsvanberg
    Offline / Send Message
    jimsvanberg interpolator
    So I made these small little scenes for use on our homepage. It was fun :)

Other then that our latest sport - hopp-boll - is complete! I will post an update on that very soon =)

• jimsvanberg
    Offline / Send Message
    jimsvanberg interpolator
    Ok, so this is Hopp-Boll!
    is a race for those with slower fingers. Instead of frantically mashing buttons you'll need both timing and a stellar judgment. Charge the perfect jump to land on the trampolines while avoiding the sand hazards!

So don't charge to much! And don't charge to little! Start charging during the exact right time while still in the air to minimize ground time and get the gold!
  • miguelnarayan
    Offline / Send Message
    miguelnarayan polycounter lvl 8
    This screams FUN all over!
  • jimsvanberg
    Offline / Send Message
    jimsvanberg interpolator
    miguelnarayan : Sure does ;)

We started prototyping our fist 4-player free-for-all sport a few weeks ago! It's like basket with only one basket, and each man for themselves. We use old graphics/animations as far as we can when protoyping. Sometimes I do some super-rough stuff just to get functionality in. But then we can tweak the hell out of it and see if it meets our standards of fun before committing and putting in the pixel-hours.

This is what a prototype sport looks like atm:

Yeah, that's a vulture on the basket there, and the green and red marks the hitzones. Controls consist of d-pad for movement (along a 2d plane) A-button fo
    r jump and B-buttom for shooting. The longer you hold B, the harder you shoot. Also, when not holding the ball, B-button is used to push your opponent. There is a lot of skill and tactic involved when four players face off in this spot atm :D It's mostly a matter of shaping up the graphics and sound at this point.

This is what a stupid IA can do when a sport is in prototype phase : P

Picking up the ball with my face is also quite the feature ;)

Lastly here is a Christmas-hello from team Sportmatchen! Updates on the latest sport after new year! Have a good one folks!

• jimsvanberg
    Offline / Send Message
    jimsvanberg interpolator
    Hi everyone! :D We have now finished up the sport I showed in a wip-state before christmas.
    Behold! Hoops!

Hoops is a frantic all-against-all battle, where you'll need to master both timing and agility. Push and stomp your opponents to steal the ball, go for heart-stopping three-pointers or dribble your way to the basket and watch the other players cry in agony. And if your opponents are being cocky, shatter their self-esteem with a sizzling slam dunk!

A fun thing about Hoops is that it contains a lot of extra stuff, such as a seemingly pissed vulture who acts as the match coordinator, and a really exciting halftime show featuring Mr.P and two cheer-leading stoats!

On to the next sport! :D

• jimsvanberg
    Offline / Send Message
    jimsvanberg interpolator
    Hey all sport fans!

I thought it was time for an update. This time we have a sport-in-progress. It's a throwing sport, much like hammer throw. You rotate the D-pad to build power and then release at the right moment to throw as far as you can! When you do the screen scrolls inwards kinda like in Top Gun for the NES. The concept shown here is half concept, half memory notes. It will be far less cluttered when done, but I thought it might be fun for someone to see stuff in development. The sport itself is playable but still in a rough state. A few weeks more tho - and that will change ;)

• jimsvanberg
    Offline / Send Message
    jimsvanberg interpolator
    Long time no post! Dev has been slow but steady the last few months. But now we can at last say, that our first one-at-a-time sport, Kapy throw is done! The sport in which sporters take turn to see who can hurl a capybara the furthest. Worth mentioning is that the little animal is equipped with a parachute so they won't be harmed. Of course.

It might look like small progress from the last stage but then it was just a 2D concept. Now it is a fully fledged sport!
    A gif does it more justice:

There are some broken graphics in the gif still tho, sorry, will fix asap! ^^

• pior
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Haha nice, this is both adorable and cruel, loving this :) Great art style too !
  • Oskar!
    Offline / Send Message
    Kapy is love, Kapy is life <3
  • jimsvanberg
    Offline / Send Message
    jimsvanberg interpolator
    Thanks Pior, means a lot! =)

Oskar - couldn't have said it better myself ;)
  • jimsvanberg
    Offline / Send Message
    jimsvanberg interpolator
    I just realized it was too long time ago anything was posted here. Sooo... Time to change that! And as usual, Sportmatchen is not dead or canned. It has been brewing slowly but surely to reach even higher sportiness ; )

Anyways, our latest sport is nearing completion. For now we call it Animal Feed! Basically, it works as clay pigeon shooting. But instead of shooting stuff, you feed animals that have a sugar craving. Simple!
    Use the D-pad to move the cross hair and A-button to throw the candy. Work up multipliers and rack up the score. Currently, you get 60 seconds but that might change as we balance the sport.

Birds, bumblebees, capybaras, moles and maybe even some more, show up when the sweets are for free.
  • gabrielluis88
    Nice Bro, great style, and i love it the capibaras S2 keep the good work. =)
  • jimsvanberg
  • jimsvanberg
    Offline / Send Message
    jimsvanberg interpolator
    So we have reached some sort of final stretch for Sportmatchen! We have started working on the final two sports before we will wrap the whole project up! :D We will do some improvements to the menus to make them more juicy, add a team-mode and some other small, but meaningful things. The last two sports are really rough atm but I wanted to show you guys some concepts.

First, wall climb! The goal is to reach the top or be the one to get the highest up before loosing the grip. To grab on to the handles you have to press and hold the corresponding button/s. It's a real finger twister and really adds something different to the game.

Top pic is first rough concept and the other two is from the in game prototype.

Second, we have canoe race! Similar to an endless runner (with up to four simultaneous players) it starts out slow and the pace just quickens. There is not a goal in this sport but instead, your success is measured in the length you manage to get! Outrace your fellow players and show them how's the boss :D

I will give more updates on these sports as they progress. Stay tuned!

• jimsvanberg
    Offline / Send Message
    jimsvanberg interpolator
    We are working hard to get all ten sports done by the end of the year. And in the meantime, here's a concept for the last two sporters!

They are happy to finally be sporting! (but so far they are just a concept, actually)
  • jimsvanberg
    Offline / Send Message
    jimsvanberg interpolator
    So I realized it's been a while since I posted anything new here. Game progress is ticking on and we have added a team mode, reworked a lot in Boll-toss and done a lot of work to the menus and overall flow.
    The canoe-sport is almost done now so here's a gif to show how it looks in it's current state!

• Oskar!
    Offline / Send Message
    The submarine section looks insane. Wonderful update, it's so jolly to see this come together <3
  • Laughing_Bun
    Offline / Send Message
    Laughing_Bun polycounter lvl 15
    This is all looking really awesome!
  • jimsvanberg
    Offline / Send Message
    jimsvanberg interpolator
    Glad you think to! Stay tuned if you're interested in more updates =)
  • jimsvanberg
    Offline / Send Message
    jimsvanberg interpolator
    Ok! So Super Sportmatchen dashes on and here are some screens from all the levels in our newest sport - river dodge (name will probably change) =D

There is no goal in this sport. It's all about how can dodge those obstacles the longest. Speed and complexity increases over time. Be so sure!

So there is plains, forest, desert, cliffs and snow! Now on to the 10th and last (!!!) sport! Wohoo! =D
  • jimsvanberg
    Offline / Send Message
    jimsvanberg interpolator
    Currenty I am working on the graphics for the cimbing sport and I've come to a concept that I feel pretty happy with now. It looks like this and the next step is to break stuff out and get it in game. From there I see what works and what needs iteration. =)

Have a great Christmas folks! =D
  • jimsvanberg
    Offline / Send Message
    jimsvanberg interpolator
    Alright! So this is a screenshot from the 10th and final sport of Super Sportmatchen!

Wall-climb! Be the first to reach the top by pressing and holding the corresponding button/s of every grip! But beware of treacherous gusts and falling vegetables! =D

Now I can focus on getting the last two character in and then some menu polish, achievements and other minor things before we wrap this baby up! Sport!

• jimsvanberg
    Offline / Send Message
    jimsvanberg interpolator
    As usual, it's been too long between posts =/ But yeah, reasons ;) Anyways, all athletes are now in (wohooo!) and to celebrate here are two gifs of some of their animations =D

Say hi to Claudetta from Sierra Leone!

Well hellu there Fernando from Bolivia!

Now I need to do some achievement icons ^^
  • jimsvanberg
    Offline / Send Message
    jimsvanberg interpolator
    We finaly got the game released on Switch and Steam now! It's been quite the ride to manage everything on our spare time. It's great fun to see people climb the leaderboards in our little game :# I really hope some people have as much fun with it together in the sofa as we did during our own playtests.

To conclude this tread I can show of the Super Sportmatchen key art. Ended up like this:

Until next time Polycounters, stay sporty!!!
    /Jim