Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Crafted Tomahawk [UE4-WIP]

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Croftyness polycounter lvl 11
Getting a crafted style axe into engine.
Sculpt and ID.
dY2DcOl.jpg
2d33USZ.jpg
Initial bake test
o8rByFO.jpg

Replies

• _Kratos_
    Offline / Send Message
    _Kratos_ polycounter lvl 11
    Dat rope! Really nice work with it... (share some of your magic!)
    Silex could be improved...think got too much detail...and the pattern is very noticeable
    Wood is nice as well...
    Can not wait to see this textured :)
  • clinington
    Offline / Send Message
    clinington polycounter lvl 10
    The rope looks great!
  • Zedblade
    Offline / Send Message
    Zedblade polycounter lvl 10
    Hi-res looks amazing, that's the most detail I've ever seen in a rope.

However it didn't come across that good in the low res bake I don't think. It's slightly too noisy and doesn't look like it wraps around, but was just brushed across all of them in a single stroke. Might need to bake each strand individually.

That's just my 2 cents though. It looks great overall so far.
  • cookedpeanut
    Offline / Send Message
    cookedpeanut polycounter lvl 12
    Oh bloody hell, how did you make that rope?!
  • Molokotof
    Offline / Send Message
    Molokotof polycounter lvl 5
    Yeah high poly rope looks amazing, have you considered making just a small straight piece and baking a tileable texture out of it? Seeing as you're adding the rope as geometry that would be easier and save texture space.

On the stone part I agree that it looks a bit too detailed and repetitive, maybe try using some smaller and bigger chips. Or if you're open for other methods take a look at this 3ds max tut:

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdpiXLEcCqE[/ame]

You can really get some cool rocks by playing around with the parameters, and perhaps use the result as a base to sculpt on?

Anyhow looking great so far, and good luck.
  • Tectonic
    Offline / Send Message
    Tectonic polycounter lvl 10
    I agree with the axe head looking incorrect. the chips should be planar, right now they look concave.
  • Croftyness
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers guys.
    @zedblade You're right. It's getting pretty noisy due to the detail. I'm hoping it will be a bit easier to define with alternating colours.
    @Molokotof Thanks for the tutorial, seems to work really nicely. I considered using a tiled texture, it would certainly solve the resolution issues. I do like the freedom of sculpting the rope however, the same when it comes to texturing. On the other hand I've never tried it, just know the theory.
    @Tectonic Ye, I get you. I'm trying to go for a knapped style. I've made the edges a bit planar in the LP like you've said. Hopefully it won't look too off.
  • Croftyness
    Offline / Send Message
    This is the first texture pass. Still need to sort out roughness and add wear. I also plan to use alphas around the binding to make it seem like its fraying.
    bdLTSFu.png