Home Animation Showcase & Critiques

[Weekly Theme 4] Flips

mod
This weeks theme. Flips! Front flip, back flip, kick flip, rodeo flip. Whatever your poison, lets see you flip!

Click HERE for tips on how to share your work. Or try your hand at using Sketchfab!!!

Replies

• _adamturnbull
    I've just started this one today, haven't got enough to show yet but I'm gonna be using the World Zombination rig and have the guy kickflip to grind.

jAiW68V.png
  • slipsius
    Awesome, Adam. I was hoping someone would do a skateboarding trick. haha. I planted the seed!
  • KeenanBushWhack
    Offline / Send Message
    KeenanBushWhack polycounter lvl 2
    Here's my first pass over on it. Just getting the motion down, so the Arms/Upper body haven't been animated yet. I like to get the motion down first, then go back to play with the timing. I'm not sure if this is the right way (?) but that's how I usually work through my animations. Using "Bill the Sailor" Rig by the way.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h5pl1lh7no7s7oj/SkipperBroadside_FlipWIP.avi?dl=0
  • derphouse
    Offline / Send Message
    derphouse polycounter lvl 4
    @KeenanBushWhack you might want to try and do some pose to pose. Personally I find it comfortable to get the timing of important poses down first. You can change your tangents to be stepped, to get an idea of the overall timing. Tbh it feels like a bit of a cluttered approach if you only animate some parts, as it looks like you haven't touched the arms at all, but a flip like that, your arms might be driving other parts of your body, which you'll have to go in and change afterwards, if you don't animate the whole body from the beginning :)
  • _adamturnbull
    Here's where I'm at with my skater so far, not sure if I'll finish this one but I'll see where I get to over lunch tomorrow.

[vv]138191130[/vv]
  • derphouse
    Offline / Send Message
    @_adamturnbull Looking good.. would be cool with some exaggeration when he slightly turns direction in the beginning, and perhaps also on the landing. (Although I do see the kinda 'cool guy' look of the land), so that might be a style thing :D

I finally got some time to make a block out of my idea. I really wanted to participate last week with the kick, but I ended up using way too much time on making my rig. Anywho, I then decided that I would do a kickflip this week.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNH0uprCjVw[/ame]

Really only been blocking out the poses so far.
  • KeenanBushWhack
    Offline / Send Message
    KeenanBushWhack polycounter lvl 2
    I got a quick question, are y'all moving only the body controls or are y'all also moving the Root control which controls everything?
  • derphouse
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't move the root control. Mainly because it produces 'quick' but linear movement to the body, where as properly posing every limb etc. can give a more organic feel. You can always just switch to FK anyways. :)

Tbh though, I only do animation for games, so I actually don't know if it is much different for movies etc.
  • Arturow
    Offline / Send Message
    Arturow polycounter
    @ _adamturnbull : that looks so sick man!! just need a little more weight in it , but I know that you are not done yet , just as a comment :P

@ KeenanBushWhack : the poses are there but the timing is like he is in another planet :P , I suggest you search for reference in youtube and study how the different parts of the body behave , also how long it takes a person to do the flip. For the main control , I personally don't move it , I just position my character where I want it and never touch it again hahah , I'm pretty sure the majority of people do it that way because you don't need to counter animate the results of moving the main control ( like rotations)

@ derphouse : looking great man! the poses read really well , maybe it will help to add a final pose in the end :) because that last pose is strange or maybe I don't get the stance haha :P , looking forward for your splines!

Here is my blocking , a balance beam :)! blocked out some poses and I think that I will be playing with the S&S in splines. I will add more poses to it before splines. I started doing a lot of poses in the beginning and then I was like ... just contacts and air haha , still no hands , feet , hair and fingers in it , I will animate then straight forward in splines.

Great work everyone!

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhmxwC1Q8WU[/ame]
  • derphouse
    Offline / Send Message
    @Arturow I like the power she puts in the first thrust backwards, but it feels like the energy is lost a bit when she lands. Like she should be going a bit further. Worst case you'll end up doing some exaggeration which I guess isn't bad? :P haha.. but a lot of nice motion in general :)

Yeah I probably should have put a pose in between. I'm trying to convey him landing on one foot, and then trying to stabilize. Hopefully it will be obvious in my next take. Thanks! :)
  • _adamturnbull
    Had another 45 minutes to spend on mine today.

[vv]138300898[/vv]

@Arturow - Looking good man, love the anticipation at the start, looking forward to seeing the completed version.

@Derphouse - Cool poses, like Arturow said it would be good to see a final pose :)

@KeenanBushWhack - I don't usually move the main control but in this case I did for mine since I just needed fast results and wanted the option of being able to change the speed and direction of the rider easily. It depends on the scene for me and whether or not its possible to get the result I need.

NOTE: I'm away next week so won't be able to contribute to next weeks theme :(
  • slipsius
    Sit to stand, or stand to sit is up next week if anyone wants a head start! Should be easier! But get creative! jump over the top of a couch and land laying down? slip and fall on ice?
  • Hito
    Offline / Send Message
    Hito interpolator
    great animations yall! No time to contribute this week. Hopefully next week.
  • derphouse
    Offline / Send Message
    @_adamturnbull looks awesome! :)

Decided to change his landing, as it would require quite some time to get what I wanted.. anywho, calling it done for this week!

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_pJ13dcGFQ[/ame]
  • Arturow
    Offline / Send Message
    Arturow polycounter
    @ _adamturnbull : that turned out so well!! liked the layout too! :)!

@ Hito : thanks man! hope to have you next week :)!

@ derphouse: the first 3/4 looks good!! and then the other looks like you could speed up the landing the :o and at the very end the head shakes a bit too much

I don't know if I will have the time to add the S&S but tomorrow I will do the hands.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GiCpzXMfd0[/ame]
  • Arturow
    Offline / Send Message
    Arturow polycounter
    Hello again , I didn't do the S&S haha :P my bad , I feel that the end is kind of weak in the arms but well haha , good work everyone! :D:thumbup:

[vv]138499429[/vv]
  • _adamturnbull
    Haven't had much time this week to complete a whole new animation so I did a few tweaks to my skater instead, haha.

[vv]140299927[/vv]