Home General Discussion

Paid Art Test?

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
Noth polycounter lvl 14
Anyone ever hear of companies paying people to complete an art test? I haven't, but have encountered it recently, which is super cool! It says a lot about the company. Anyone every hear/encounter this before out of curiosity?

Replies

• soulstice
    Offline / Send Message
    soulstice polycounter lvl 9
    Maybe its a sign of our industry maturing? Hopefully thats a sign of things to come!
  • Noth
    Offline / Send Message
    Noth polycounter lvl 14
    Well, that's a good thing.
  • slosh
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    That would be amazing. Honestly, that would change the dynamic of our industry quite a bit. I don't see that happening though...90% of companies don't need to pay anyone to take their art tests because everyone is chomping at the bit to apply and get in.
  • ysalex
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Thats an awesome sign.

I agree that its never going to be standard as long as there is a line out the door of people applying. I could see though very selective companies trying to lure the best possible candidates offering paid art tests as a symbol that they are a company who values time and effort. And also I think that quality artists are far less likely to actually take an unpaid art test.

If a company offered me a paid art test I would automatically be 100% more interested in working for them, just because of what it says about their values.
  • Swizzle
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    I've heard of paid art tests for 2D work, mostly. If I'm not mistaken, Riot has done paid tests before, and so have companies that are more illustration-focused like Wizards of the Coast.

This seems a lot more common in fields related to book illustrations than game art, but I imagine this will be changing slowly in the future. Hopefully it becomes the norm someday.
  • CapableWizard
    Offline / Send Message
    CapableWizard polycounter lvl 9
    Recently I was told I would get paid for an art test. In the last year I've done a handful of tests some requiring 50+ hours to finish, none paid. It was really refreshing to hear I'd get paid. I didn't end up having to do the full test but the companies got a pretty awesome reputation!
  • Noth
    Offline / Send Message
    Noth polycounter lvl 14
    I'm surprised it's any more common in Illustration than it is in games. I'd think there would be plenty people lined up for those roles too. You can't have unpaid internships in Canada, I'm not sure about the States or elsewhere but I wonder where unpaid art tests fall if you consider it in those terms.

It's definitely a good sign though, hope it becomes more common. Wonder what would happen if "don't ask for unpaid art tests" was in everyone's portfolios..... *daydreams
  • beefaroni
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Out of the 6 art tests I have taken, 1 has been paid. It was definitely refreshing to hear them offer pay for my time. It was a smaller studio as well.
  • Joost
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    It should absolutely be standard but unfortunately it's very hard to say no to an unpaid art test at a good studio. So as long as the majority of people are willing it won't change.
  • PeterK
    Offline / Send Message
    PeterK greentooth
    Exis doesn't do unpaid art tests generally, but then again, we're a company with a large portfolio backlog, and a track record.
  • kolayamit
    Offline / Send Message
    kolayamit polycounter lvl 13
    All of my art tests were unpaid, don't think there is any paid art test in India.
  • CrackRockSteady
    The studio I work for pays artists for tests because we use the art test assets if we're able to. It is basically paid contract work that doubles as a studio art test.
  • mats effect
    This would be nice if it became standard.
  • Tits
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    I just got offered my first paid art test,
    I had refused un-paid art test since the one I did for gameloft years ago.
    It's very refreshing to see that happening now
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    So, I presume this paid art test is by piece and not by hours worked on it ?

"Do this, from this concept art, in 2 weeks. When it's done, send it back, we might or might not use it in our game, you will get paid 1.4 grand, and we might or might not hire you." kind of thing ?
  • CrackRockSteady
    That's how it has been handled here. The candidate is given an asset (not a scene) to complete and given a deadline, and a price is negotiated. The candidate is paid whether we use the asset or not, and whether they are hired or not.
  • Tits
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    I am personally getting paid by the day at the same daily rate I charge a company for a contract
  • slosh
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    Wow, that's pretty great Marie. Are you saying you no longer accept art tests that aren't paid? If so, good for you!
  • PeterK
    Offline / Send Message
    PeterK greentooth
    I usually ask for an asset they plan to use, and only charge them if they're going to use it after we make it. One should consider some respect towards the client's pocketbook after all.
  • Tits
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    Yes slosh I do not accept any unpaid art test when it comes to freelancing work or contracts.
    There is no investement/commitement in freelancing opportunities and contract since usually those can be canceled at any time by both parties and without any reason etc.
    That makes it so that, if you don't like my work, you can end it, if I don't like working with you, I can end it.

That kinda makes art test pretty useless in my opinion.

I would consider doing an unpaid art test inthe case of a studio job I'm really interested in.