Home General Discussion

Rocket League

Replies

• ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    The old maps are really fun! :3 Anything is open for us to do in the future! We have tons of surprises, so stay tuned!
  • cupsster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cupsster polycounter lvl 11
    Hi @ErichWK did you managed to get some intel on that grass? :P I'm still very interested in it! Thank you and congrats to such a massive success! :3
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    The last couple days has been brutal for lag. :S Are there any plans for more servers, or whatever networking sorcery is needed to help with that? Some of the tweets ive seen make it seem like the servers are all good now, and it was only the initial launch was crap. But im definitely seeing lag still.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    fantastic game, love how short and sweet the matches are.

I feel like if theres one person in the game with a bad ping then we all get hit with strange lag?
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cuppster, Still haven't had a chance to ask. I know little of the material editor and asking would probably make everything go over my head. But I WILL try to ask sooner or later. As far as the lag. I don't know the exact answer. I don't think it's really one thing, but the biggest culprit is CPU spikes, if I'm not mistaken. I have no idea our plans on how to fix that..but I think that's all server side. I just zbrush and watch anime and dunk on n00bs in pub matches.

edit:

NEW DLC!! THE 13TH! Also comes with a free map and items!
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Patch 1.04 notes

Interesting note: "Added "Community Flags" sub-section to Garage Items/ Antennas"

Does this indicate ability to create and share items? and is it only Flags or Antenna as well...?

EDIT: after logging in and taking a look it appears this just means "online community". So, the twitch flags, etc. As far as I can tell.

Let me be the first to suggest a Polycount flag and a Polycount Greentooth antenna based off the Polycount trophy models (Gold metallic and/or green version)

also..A very important change!"Saturn" has been renamed to "Planetoid" (because Saturn doesn't have craters)"...lol ;P

Rocket League Patch Notes v1.04
    Community Announcements - DunhamSmash (Psyonix)
    Released August 11, 2015 | 781 MB

THE HEADLINES
    Added "Supersonic Fury" DLC Pack Support, including..
    (DLC) Exclusive "Dominus" and "Takumi" Battle-Cars
    (DLC) Six Decals for each new vehicle
    (DLC) Five new paint types: "Brushed Metal, Carbon Fiber, Metallic Pearl, Pearlescent," and "Wood"
    (DLC) Two new Wheels: "Cristiano" and "Spinner"
    (DLC) Two new Rocket Boosts: "Burnout" and "Nitrous"
    Added "Utopia Coliseum" Arena
    Added "Spectate" to "Choose Team" menu in "Private Matches," allowing players the option to watch games rather than participate (3v3 match-type maximum)
    Added 70+ new Country Flags and three "Sorry" items for our overloaded launch servers ("Servergate" Wheels, "Disconnected" Antenna, and "White Flag")
    Added 3v3 Team Ranked as a replacement for 3v3 Solo the Online match queue
    Ranked matches will no longer start if the game is not full
    Added the ability to create or join Private Matches that can be named and/or password-protected
    Added "Vote to Forfeit" button to "Ranked" online matches
    Up to four Party member's Battle-Cars can now be displayed on the Menu screens

NEW CONTENT

Battle-Cars
    (DLC) Added "Dominus" (American muscle car)
    (DLC) Added "Takumi" (Japanese street racer)

Decals
    (DLC) Dominus: Added "Flames"
    (DLC) Dominus: Added "Scorpions"
    (DLC) Dominus: Added "Skulls"
    (DLC) Dominus: Added "Stripes"
    (DLC) Dominus: Added "Tats"
    (DLC) Dominus: Added "Wings"
    (DLC) Takumi: Added "Copycat"
    (DLC) Takumi: Added "Chaser"
    (DLC) Takumi: Added "Crazy-8"
    (DLC) Takumi: Added "Gaki"
    (DLC) Takumi: Added "Reiko"
    (DLC) Takumi: Added "Stripes"

Paint Types
    (DLC) Added "Brushed Metal"
    (DLC) Added "Carbon Fiber"
    (DLC) Added "Metallic Pearl"
    (DLC) Added "Pearlescent"
    (DLC) Added "Wood"

Wheels
    (DLC) Added "Cristiano"
    (DLC) Added "Spinner"
    Added "Servergate"

Rocket Boosts
    (DLC) Added "Burnout"
    (DLC) Added "Nitrous"

Antennas
    Added "Disconnected"
    Added "White Flag"
    Added "Community Flags"
    Gassy Mexican
    LIRIK
    SpoOky1611
    Team PowA
    YouTube Gaming
    Added "Country Flags:"
    Afghanistan
    Albania
    American Samoa
    Angola
    Armenia
    Azerbaijan
    Bangladesh
    Belarus
    Benin
    Bolivia
    Burkina Faso
    Burma
    Burundi
    Cambodia
    Central African Republic
    Chad
    Congo DR
    Cuba
    Dominican Republic
    Egypt
    Eritrea
    Estonia
    Ethiopia
    Gabon
    Georgia
    Guam
    Haiti
    Iraq
    Jordan
    Kazakhstan
    Kenya
    Kuwait
    Kyrgyzstan
    Laos
    Latvia
    Lebanon
    Liberia
    Libya
    Lithuania
    Macedonia
    Madagascar
    Malawi
    Mali
    Mauritania
    Moldova
    Mongolia
    Montenegro
    Morocco
    Mozambique
    Namibia
    Nepal
    Niger
    North Korea
    Northern Mariana Islands
    Oman
    Palestine
    Papua New Guinea
    Paraguay
    Puerto Rico
    Qatar
    Rwanda
    Saudi Arabia
    Sierra Leone
    Somalia
    South Sudan
    Sri Lanka
    Sudan
    Syria
    Tajikistan
    Tanzania
    Togo
    Trinidad and Tobago
    Turkmenistan
    U.S. Virgin Islands
    Uganda
    Uzbekistan
    Zambia
    Zimbabwe

Trophies and Achievements
    Added three new Trophies/ Achievements
    (DLC) Added six new DLC-specific Trophies/ Achievements

NEW FEATURES

Gameplay
    Added "Spectate" to "Choose Team" menu for "Private Matches", allowing players the option to watch games rather than participate (3v3 match-type maximum)

Content
    Added "Utopia Coliseum" Arena

Online Play
    Added "3v3 Team Ranked" as a replacement for "3v3 Solo" the Online match queue
    Added "Vote to Forfeit" button to "Ranked" online matches

UI/ UX
    Added the ability to create or join Private Matches that can be named and/or password-protected
    Added "Community Flags" sub-section to Garage Items/ Antennas
    Added “Reset Shot” to Keybinding Options to address errant R1 training reassignment

CHANGES AND UPDATES

"Ranked" matches will no longer start if the game is not full
    "Ranked" Skill ratings are now calculated on dedicated servers

Garage Items
    Antennas
    "Saturn" has been renamed to "Planetoid" (because Saturn doesn't have craters)

UI/ UX
    Up to four Party member's Battle-Cars can now be displayed on the Menu screens

BUG FIXES

Repaired several "Connect Failure" issues

UI/ UX
    Fixed "Private Match" bug that sometimes caused the "Update Match" settings to disappear for the Party Leader
    Clearing the "Voice Chat" binding no longer removes the binding for "Reset Training"
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    So I played the new map a couple times yesterday. 2 things. The net seems a tad bigger? I could be out of my mind though.

and does it not have a ceiling?? I feel the ball was going WAAAAY higher than normal...
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Played the new map today. The goals seem quite a bit taller not sure about width, although the ratio seems the same. The entire map does feel a little bigger although I think it might be an optical illusion because of the bright colour scheme and lack of walls.

I do find its a little harder to understand your position on the field without the walls and ceiling for reference as well. Seems a bit odd to make this as a "regulation" map but it actually plays and feels so very different to the others.

I'll get used to it though and I welcome the variety!
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The goal is exactly the same as the other maps. haha. It's all in your head. The map *should be the same size as all the other maps. We have been hearing a lot of complaints that you can't see the wall and the map is bright. I love the new map! And also, make sure to check out the new car explosions. :3

http://giant.gfycat.com/ComplexFluffyGermanshepherd.webm
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Thought it might just be in our heads. I can understand why people wont like this map it is very bright tbh. Almost Mario 64 bright! Its a fun map though, but I think it'll be a vote banned for competitive play by at least one of the sides.

The addition of spectator mode is going to be awesome! Can we now expect match coverage and commentary in the Esports scene?

and does anyone know of any channels that might be doing this?
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Tried out the new map yesterday once. Was pretty fun. One of the old colleagues I played with mentioned the new explosions being thicker but might have not noticed it before. Awesome stuff. Wish there was more customizations to make your car zanier. A mariachi hat van with a mustache XD
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    i do really enjoy the new map. but ya. feels bigger since you cant see the walls. definitely harder to judge where you are. Or, at least, that's my excuse for losing the couple games ive had on that map
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ya, totally, Slipsius-kun. I kind of agree. Luckily for you guys, we read every forum ever and are SUPER active with the community. If enough of the community requests changes we will consider doing what they say.

As far as commentary goes, it's up to ESL what they want to do. We are super popular with ESL right now, had 94 teams enter last tourny and have a great relationship with them..even with Nosgoth. (which I have been commentating for, if you wanna see me embarrass myself watch those) The competitive scene is still fresh so who knows where we take it. But we are gonna be growing it where it needs to grow! It's like being in a new relationship, we aren't gonna force anything people don't want.

As far as zany and wacky customizations... well. Who knows what the future holds! We are gonna grow Rocket League in any and all ways. We are only at Rocket League 1.04 and already have a bunch of different and new shit from 1.0. THE FUTURE!
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Loving all the work going into Rocket League, you guys are kicking SO much ass!

I will second the opinion that I tend to get "lost" in the new map when it comes to positioning... I feel like there is a lot of focus on the art (the map is gorgeous btw) but it's killing some of the game-play readability.

Either way, keep up the amazing work, I am so happy to see this doing well for you guys!
  • slipsius
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We hear your concerns! Gonna look into making everyone happy. brb.

Sorry for making great art. :(
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    So ya, I think i figured out why it's so different. the new map.

A) The ground doesnt have the same markings, so it's hard to tell where you are. it doesnt have those lines all the way across the map to judge where the boosts will be if you`re backing up and whatever.

b) there aren't any walls. The red/blue that you usually see in the walls are in the stands, further back from the play area. It's a GORGEOUS map, and I actually really love playing it, since it feels different. but ya, i would love to have walls.

One thing I absolutely noticed about the new map, is they fixed the start positions of the corner spawns. So if you spawn at one of the corners, and drive straight backwards, you get the full boost. In group games, I always do that, but on the old maps, you have to turn slightly or you`ll miss it. You don't have to do that on the new map. You just follow the grey path straight back.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    ErichWK wrote: »

haha, if it isn't criticism, just ignore it. You guys have a great product, to be proud of. I think most comments have just been feedback, even if it seems negative.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Absolutely, Notman. The game is freaking awesome. I havent had this much fun playing a game in a very long time. Or played this much of a game in a very long time. My biggest "complaint" is that I just want more of it! haha. More maps, mostly.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Hey ErichWK. Dont take feedback the wrong way, Its a gorgeous map but it does have issues.

Before I start let me say these are very minor niggles but I'm a UI artist and readability is something i'm very consious of. Also, I consider myself quite a good player (150hrs+) in RL and at the level i'm playing at I much prefer a balanced game on a "level" playing field.
    I feel like there is a lot of focus on the art (the map is gorgeous btw) but it's killing some of the game-play readability.

Totally agree. Having played on the map a few times now i've found that it's a little imbalanced. I'll take some scene grabs of what I mean if people need it, but basically its the fact that the lighting on the map isn't equal across the map, as it is on all the other maps. The yellow side has strong sunlight in one of the corners which makes seeing the 100% boosters almost impossible. Also I play a goal keeper role and generally sit inside the goal when the balls in the corners of the pitch. On the yellow side you can hardly see the white outline of the ball through the yellow/white walls when its in the corners, which makes timing a save difficult. The Blue side of the pitch doesnt have this issue and has much better lighting for the game UI.

EDIT: here's the example pics. Spot the ball and is there or isn't there a boost in the corner? You can tell if you look hard enough, but in a fast paced game its really difficult to see at a glimpse.

2gwyfid.jpg

To me it feels like the disadvantage a football team have when playing into the sun or against the wind. But in a football game the teams switch ends so it balances out, which isnt the case in RL.

I feel if a new map is to be "regulation" or intended for serious/high level gameplay then it absolutely needs to be equal for both teams.

Have you guys thought about trying slightly longer matches with a half time where teams switch sides? Maybe 3 or 4 minute halfs?

But seriously though, this is a very minor issue in the grand scheme of things. The game is crazy good fun. I absolutely love the new cars. I know people keep saying they are the same (except slight hitbox differences) but both new cars feel awesome. I played in the Dominus first and I swear that thing flies better than most of the other cars, I thought i'd found my new favourite until I tried the Takumi... Seriously I feel like its twice as quick and I feel my reaction times are quicker with it. Maybe its a psychology thing but it just feels faster in every way. Love it!
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So, I finally was able to revisit the game, last night, to try out the new DLC (easiest DLC decision ever). Experienced a lot of lag.

One common thing, the field would load, and I would see the screen, with the boost in the center (and maybe my car). The countdown would start, and my car would finally appear, as the counter hit zero. I saw, multiple times, where a team would score, before the other, because their cars weren't moving. I think the join/start time got shortened up too much, or something.

I really like the looks of the new field. My friends kept commenting that they felt the field was smaller. I think it's perception, based on the placement of the crowd. I'm cool with it.

Another suggestion/feedback, that my friends came up with last night: a tron styled field. Maybe even a light cycle styled vehicle. That would be really cool.... obviously possible license issues, but if this could be achieved, it would be awesome :D
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18

Nuuu ErichWK, this is just feedback good sir, no butt hurt allowed! :poly142:

I am addicted to this game though... it has taken over my life in a very evil way, SO GOOD!
  • DiHydro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DiHydro polycounter lvl 6
    I love playing this game. I have to give props for the sound guy creating a great soundtrack.
  • erik!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    some of the most fun I've had in a game in a long time!
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nuuu ErichWK, this is just feedback good sir, no butt hurt allowed! :poly142:

I am addicted to this game though... it has taken over my life in a very evil way, SO GOOD!

haha. I am just messing. The dominant directional was at 2.0. We lowered it to 1.0, adjusted the bloom AND changed the location of the sun so you won't be blinded. It will hopefully* be fixed in the next patch!
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    haha. I am just messing. The dominant directional was at 2.0. We lowered it to 1.0, adjusted the bloom AND changed the location of the sun so you won't be blinded. It will hopefully* be fixed in the next patch!

Awesome! Thanks for listening. Look forward to seeing the results.

Oh, and to whoever did the "Cat with a halo" skin for the Takumi. Thanks, Love it! :D
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 wrote: »
    Awesome! Thanks for listening. Look forward to seeing the results.

Oh, and to whoever did the "Cat with a halo" skin for the Takumi. Thanks, Love it! :D

Oh Trust, I sport the "El Gato" skin on my takumi real real hard
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    so I finally got and started playing this game. Originally I downloaded it on ps4, super pumped to play it, but then my PS4 died right after starting the game up. it broke my GPU (or well, was the first time I ever had a problem with my ps4 graphics) so I wasn't able to play it. I was super bummed. I was really stubborn about buying it on PC because I already had my copy on PS4, but after a couple weeks I finally gave in and I'm glad I did. I think it's going to be super fun to play on my TV once i get a repaired playstation back, but regardless this game is the tits.

Really fun, really simple, focuses on one thing and does it amazingly well. Keep it up guys.

The only thing I want to add is PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD ADD STEAM WORKSHOP SUPPORT. LET PEOPLE MAKE PAINT SKINS, HATS, AND PERHAPS EVEN BOOST PARTICLES. DO IT.

DO ITTTTT.

anyway, keep up the awesome work, will be playing this for a while.
  • ErichWK
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So much better than watching FPS competitions.

How do we enter spectator mode on the PS4? I'm assuming that's what they were using, to change cameras.
    update: nm, I see it's for private matches only :(
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Holy crap. That finish!!!! What a tourny. I can see this becoming a huge e-sport for suuure.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Watching that grand final, the one thing I noticed was that in spectator mode, it doesnt tell you who you are watching, unless you bring up that wheel. Would be nice to see who in the top corner or something. would definitely make watching easier for the viewers.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spectator mode is just using the UI of the replay editor for the time being as we figure out how to polish it more. We are coming in blind, so we are overhauling the Ui and everything to better suit E-Sports.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Solo ranked 800+!!! Took a while to break past the 700s.... Don't mind the "Pro" level. I play on pc and ps4, so not all my experience has counted towards it. And playing at work, I guess our firewall doesn't allow steam cloud to sync, cause I havent been able to sync since i started playing.

11891127_10153563867359699_4286471966768597588_n.jpg?oh=2356f32242d4a6d683e4d369f3aa33a3&oe=566AAA3E
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So we are having a 10% off sale on steam! To celebrate a very monumental occasion. ;-)
  • pigart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pigart polycounter lvl 6
    Any spoilers on what is coming in the next patch? Maybe some info about the new season? :)
  • DiHydro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DiHydro polycounter lvl 6
    Any chance of having community created hats, flags, or boosters? I'd love to make my own. I have a couple of ideas I'd love to see in the game.

Baby Bonnet hats and fart boosters for example.
    SO03-1.jpg
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Has anyone notice that the community seems to be a lot more toxic with chat? I'm about to block all chat at this point. There needs to be a way to block or report certain people for chat.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Just grabbed it! Super fun, but I'm kinda surprised there's been this much talking about it when it seems pretty simple. Dunno how many hours I'll get out of this. Maybe 5 or 6?
  • Mask_Salesman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mask_Salesman polycounter lvl 13
    Congratz on the success guys, its a great game :) altho I still find it super weird barely anyone knows about the first game when its so similar. Your PR guy must be doing an amazing job this time round lol
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    The reddit channel is basically gif central for amazing shots/blocks.

as for the toxic chat, Zac. I've definitely had a few shit talkers. Both in chat and on voice chat. Not nearly as many as I would expect though. Most people are actually pretty good about it. I had one game yesterday, where I was playing at work, where my rank is only semi-pro (work computer doesnt cloud sync properly). I lost in OT, but the guy stayed to chat with me, just to compliment me. saying im really good for a semi-pro, and that i should of won (it was a bad OT goal i let in). So even with all the shit talkers, I feel there are actually more positive players, who appreciate good goals when they see them. or good blocks. The shit talkers generally come when either you have an amazing comeback, or you get a couple of goals off the start. Those can be frustrating.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How odd, I rarely run into toxic people in the game. I NEVER run into people using voice chat. I play both on Steam and PS4. But, the game has like 5 million players and 100,000 concurrent usually...so of course there are gonna be some bad apples. But I've felt that a lot of people I've run into are pretty kind, at least in the internet community.

As far as community driven stuff we have talked about it and do want to do something like this, but It's all up in the ether right now. Like I said, we are a small team so our biggest concern is bug fixing, new maps, better spectator, and adding in features people want. (like when we added being able to see your team in matchmaking)

Our PR guy is Jeremy Dunhamm from IGN! He is great! He did so much for us with $0 marketing budget!

Trust, I've been requesting Fart Boosters for like years now. And Tika Maboosta, to show our love of Indian food. Also Taco Boost, because San Diego.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you ever feel like hitting me up on the PS4, I'm notman05 on there. That goes for anyone here (just give me a hint, in the request, so I know it's from here :))
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    2 out of the last 10 games I played, there was a lot of calling people "faggots", "my team sucks", "forfeit already". I think the simplest option would be to have a mute all this match option when you pause the game during an online match.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    ZacD wrote: »
    I think the simplest option would be to have a mute all this match option when you pause the game during an online match.

Not a terrible idea. Or at the very least, an option to hide the chat box.

Personally, I love when people smack talk. It usually means im kicking their ass. haha
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    My favourite thing to do is to score on those who spam the quick-chat options. It's a good way to shut them up quick.
  • Sean VanGorder
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    slipsius wrote: »
    Not a terrible idea. Or at the very least, an option to hide the chat box.

Personally, I love when people smack talk. It usually means im kicking their ass. haha

There is a mute all communications option in the menus, but I do like using quick chat for basic communication.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We are firing off a new patch today. Fixed the lighting for Utopia, also reset ranked and a ton of cool changes to make ranked more meaningful and easier to track.

also we added the flag for Bhutan per my request.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdDD9ViRZz4
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    reset ranked

Noooooooooo!