Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio Critique

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
LTS3D polycounter lvl 5
Hey guys! Allow me to introduce myself, my name is Luke and I'm a 3D Environment Artist. Recently discovered Polycount and am loving it so far. Been making me really inspired to keep working! I was hoping those of you who have a moment if you could drop by my website and give me any feedback that you can. I'm working at an indie studio full time and wanted to do some freelance on the side. Wanted to make myself as competitive as possible! Any and all feedback will be greatly appreciated!

Website Link

-Luke

Replies

• gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Luke!

First thing is that loading up your page should immediately take me to your art. I was a tad frustrated that you had some preview pictures on the home page, but I couldn't click them to look at them. Nitpicky thing, but it gives a bad first impression imo.

The next thing is that you have too many links that have to be clicked to see your body of work. I would suggest consolidating this all down so its accessible on a single page.

I think overall you have a pretty nice body of work, but it seems like you are hanging on to some older or lower quality work that is bringing it down. You could probably cull 2/3s or more of the work that you have in here.

- Kill the Graduate Demo Reel. You even admit in the text for it that things are out of date.

- Kill the car. Car modeling is a bit of a specialty and requires really good topology, and car paint materials will expose every imperfection in your model. This car suffers from that a bit.

- For your materials, the cracked dirt and brick are quite rough. I think the parallax and/or displacement is overpowering these and presenting them in a poor light. I do think that diamond-plate reads nicely though.

- Your environments feel like they favor quantity over quality. I would rather see a fewer environments that blow me away vs a many that are "just ok." I suggest keeping your best/favorite ones, then pulling out the old when new stuff comes in.

- Your professional work is pretty interesting. I've seen/heard of both of those projects before. Can you show more work that you have done for those games on here?
  • LTS3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LTS3D polycounter lvl 5
    @gsokol: Thanks for the feedback! Very much appreciated.

- I can make the home page just my main pieces then. Should I just simply have the best stills on the home page and then keep the extra pages for more shots/info?

- I'll kill the demo reel and car.

- I can go back and readjust the materials, I think you're right that the parallax/displacement is whats killing it.

-As for the environments, I have my personal favorites, but there's something about each of them that I really like so I'm not too sure which to purge out of there.

-For profession work, I want to post more stuff, I have a lot of cool things, but I need to make sure it's okay with my boss to post them. I'm currently waiting a response from him regarding that. I really hope I can because it'll really strengthen my portfolio.

Thanks again for all the feedback! you've been very helpful
  • Joshflighter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshflighter polycounter lvl 9
    gsokol wrote: »
    Hi Luke!

First thing is that loading up your page should immediately take me to your art. I was a tad frustrated that you had some preview pictures on the home page, but I couldn't click them to look at them. Nitpicky thing, but it gives a bad first impression imo.

This. First time I opened the link, I gave up on trying to find all the art.
    You want a potential employer to load the page, and go "Shit that's some cool work". You don't want the employer to go through a maze of links and pages to find some art.
  • Solaire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revolver is very similar to one of the Digital Tutors step by step tutorial. In my opinion, professional folio's is not the best place for all tutorial stuff.

p.s. Apologize if I made a mistake