Home Adobe Substance

Substance Painter - Master Thread

Replies

• Toku
    Offline / Send Message
    Toku polycounter lvl 6
    Hi All, I have a quick question regarding setting up a mesh in Substance Painter to be textured.

I have a character mesh which is comprised of multiple parts (Clothing, Figure, Weapon) etc. And I want to texture all these objects in one scene. Specifically I have all the clothing pieces on one UV sheet.

So if I export my LP from Maya with Materials Assigned per-face on the object. I will have material types which are then split up into texturesets in painter. If they are split the maps bake out separately which means I have to comp them together in PS and add edge padding, Not a huge deal but slightly irritating.
    It's really useful to use the textureset functionality because my PC only has 6gb of memory and I have to split my meshes up on bake otherwise my workstation would just crash.

Right now I am assigning a material per type in Maya (seems intuitive), this gives me many texture sets, sometimes with just one floating poly in painter and results in about 20 maps being exported. The other workaround is to assign a textureset by each area of the LP the HP bakes are going to interfere with/crash PC because too much data. And then render out an ID map which defines material types. This gives less texture sets and seems like the best way I've found so far. I think what I'm looking for is some way to merge the texture sets so they all can be modulated in one set after the baking process and then exported as one map, is that possible?
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    It is not possible yet. It's a request we get a lot though, so it may make it at some point.
  • Keans
    I'm having a very troublesome problem and I was hoping someone here might have a work around for it.

I was switching my textures from 2k to 4k and the buffering bar at the bottom of the 3D/2D view began to lag so I tried saving in case it crashed. Eventually it did crashed but it saved.

However now every time I open the program it tries to redo this last action and the progress bar gets up about 3/4 of the way before it freezes. I can still pan and zoom around but can't do anything with the textures, can't even export them or reload the mesh. If I try it crashes again.

Anyone have any ideas? I have the latest version, tried another one (4.0) but it couldn't open the file.

Error.jpg
  • Keans
    [Accidental Double Post]
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Would you be able to upload the project somewhere for us to look at?
  • Keans
  • Veezen
    Offline / Send Message
    Veezen polycounter lvl 9
    Someone can tell me how I can gray-out (desaturate) my textures for gloss/specular slot? Basecolor HSL is only for ... Basecolor after I tested it -_-'
    Even when I have spec selected it wont work (i using PBRSpecGlossNrm shader because I prefer it - still some engines don't support metalness map)
  • dzibarik
    Offline / Send Message
    dzibarik polycounter lvl 10
    @Veezen: while it may be not the answer you're looking for but you can easily convert your metallness maps into specular by using export presets.
  • Veezen
    Offline / Send Message
    Veezen polycounter lvl 9
    @dzibarik
    I know that ... i don't know if this only not working on this shader but I think that stuff like that after ~few years of development should be available in Painter from start. It's just basic stuff. I think this should be on first page of roadmap IMO.
    Just sayin'
  • Froyok
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    The HSL filter in the shelf of Substance Painter is channel specific and only support BaseColor for the moment since we don't fully support the Spec/Gloss workflow.
  • Veezen
    Offline / Send Message
    Veezen polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks for answer. I hope someday it will be supported.
  • Froyok
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
  • Jerc
  • Axcel
    Offline / Send Message
    Axcel polycounter lvl 14
    How to preview my mask in full size?
  • Uzziel
    Offline / Send Message
    Uzziel polycounter lvl 7
    Axcel wrote: »
    How to preview my mask in full size?

You can use alt+left mouse button on the mask to display it in the 2D/3D views. It will be displayed at your document resolution.
  • TH98
    Offline / Send Message
    TH98 polycounter lvl 12
    Is it possible to save out Substance Painter's flat material preview--the one that shows the lighting, spec, etc on the UV layout--to a file at a high resolution? I'm working on a project that only supports colormaps and I'm wondering if it'd be possible to generate textures this way using custom HDR environments.
  • dzibarik
    Offline / Send Message
    dzibarik polycounter lvl 10
    will geforce GT 720 2 gig be enough to work with Substance Painter comfortably?
  • Axcel
    Offline / Send Message
    Axcel polycounter lvl 14
    Uzziel wrote: »
    You can use alt+left mouse button on the mask to display it in the 2D/3D views. It will be displayed at your document resolution.
    Thanks Uzziel.
    Can I setup control over brush angle that it will be using wacom pen tilt feature
  • Uzziel
    Offline / Send Message
    Uzziel polycounter lvl 7
    TH98 wrote: »
    Is it possible to save out Substance Painter's flat material preview--the one that shows the lighting, spec, etc on the UV layout--to a file at a high resolution? I'm working on a project that only supports colormaps and I'm wondering if it'd be possible to generate textures this way using custom HDR environments.

It's not possible to bake the shading result of the 2D view (the best you can do is a screenshot for now). We don't plan to add this kind of feature (as it's pretty "specific" and would demand a quite important development time).
    dzibarik wrote: »
    will geforce GT 720 2 gig be enough to work with Substance Painter comfortably?

Even with 2GB of Vram, a Geforce GT 720 will not allow you to work comfortably in SP (unless you only work on small assets).
    If you work with a lot of layers, in high resolution (4k) and with several Texture Sets, the better GPU you can get the more comfortable you'll be :)
    Thanks Uzziel.
    Can I setup control over brush angle that it will be using wacom pen tilt feature

We only support pen pressure for now (you can enable/disable next to Size/Flow parameters).
    If you have some feedbacks/suggestions on how it would be useful/implemented in SP don't hesitate to submit the idea here: http://allegorithmic.uservoice.com/
  • TH98
    Offline / Send Message
    TH98 polycounter lvl 12
    Uzziel wrote: »
    It's not possible to bake the shading result of the 2D view (the best you can do is a screenshot for now). We don't plan to add this kind of feature (as it's pretty "specific" and would demand a quite important development time).
    I guess I'll have to work with that. Thanks for the answer! :)
  • Son Kim
    Offline / Send Message
    Son Kim triangle
    I'm having an extremely bad time with SP 1.5 on Windows 10, the driver of my GTX 680 4GB would stop responding and recovers, this happens too often. Just switching on layers will cause it sometimes, add new smart material will also do this, even something as basic as painting will cause this.

My document is 2K, with 1 texture set and my file is about 189MB. I've tried 2 driver(353.62 and 355.60(most recent)), with the same result.
  • alsmd
    Offline / Send Message
    alsmd null
    Son Kim, install the 347.88 driver, in "advanced system settings/hardware/device installation settings" disable the automatic driver updates and then download "wushowhide.diagcab" and follow the instructions to hide the problematic drivers.
  • Son Kim
  • Axcel
    Offline / Send Message
    Axcel polycounter lvl 14
    How can I switch off checker on my model, when having quick mask?
    And how to save my quick mask?
    I am watching tutorials to catch up by myself as much as I can, but some things pass me by or they are not there
  • Uzziel
    Offline / Send Message
    Uzziel polycounter lvl 7
    The idea behind the quick mask tool is to have the possibility to easily (while painting) mask/unmask parts of your model. Kind of Zbrush masking for example.
    This way you don't have to switch between a layer and its mask in the layer stack.

If you need to work in a non-destructive way, the best thing is to use a layer mask (right click on a layer and add a black or white mask). This way your mask is always saved and you can copy/paste it if necessary for different materials/effects.
  • Axcel
    Offline / Send Message
    Axcel polycounter lvl 14
    Hello, I want to convert one of my latest weapons to PBR (I think it's a good idea as I dislike current materials). It's made for CryEngine.
    Here it is:
    compose2.jpg
    I started with importing object and after importing normal map I encountered unpleasant surprise:
    TTCNaOn.jpg
    In Cryengine there was no slightest signs or those bugs with this normal map.

SOLVED: Importing by FBX format instead OBJ keeps things right.

Curvature map is used only to define smart materials or adds anything to model by itself?
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    The curvature is only used by substance filters/masks but nothing prevents you from bringing it as its own layer and do anything you want with it.
  • Nexinumbra
    Offline / Send Message
    Nexinumbra polycounter lvl 12
    SOLVED: Importing by FBX format instead OBJ keeps things right.

I wanted to add in that I just had really weird smoothing errors in a model I was working on in Substance Painter that I had imported as an OBJ. By then using an FBX everything looked fine. Same model, no changes otherwise. Possible issues with latest OBJ importer in SP?
  • oblomov
    Offline / Send Message
    oblomov polycounter lvl 8
    Possible issues with latest OBJ importer in SP?
    If it looked like what Axcel posted above, it seems to me more like you are using different tangent spaces in the program you used to compute the normal and in Painter . FBXs can carry tangents and binormals, but not objs so in the second case we have to recompute them.
    What did you use to compute the normal you wanted to import ?
  • Nexinumbra
    Offline / Send Message
    oblomov wrote: »
    If it looked like what Axcel posted above, it seems to me more like you are using different tangent spaces in the program you used to compute the normal and in Painter . FBXs can carry tangents and binormals, but not objs so in the second case we have to recompute them.
    What did you use to compute the normal you wanted to import ?

xNormal.
  • Froyok
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Did you triangulated your mesh before baking ?
    And with the mesh that your imported in painter, was it triangulated too ?
    If not, you should do it.
  • montana2008
    Hi, after getting normal map seams along my UV boards when baking in SD, i moved to try SP but i have the same problem :( am i being picky with these seams because they are visible when zoomed in only? i read somewhere there will always be some kind of seam when zoomed in very close?

My meshes have average normals within maya 2016. ive attached a screen shot, hopefully somebody can help me?

lyBaUgL.jpg
  • Froyok
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Unless you straighten your UVs borders to be aligned with the pixels, you won't be able to get rid of UVs seams that subtle (and invisible once you zoom out).
  • montana2008
    Thanks for your help froyok, how do I straighten my uv boarders to be aligned with pixels? I understand how to straighten uv boarders not sure about the pixel bit you mentioned. The seam above isn't too bad when viewed using a 4096 text but it gets worse using a 2048 texture. So I think I'll take your advice and straighten the uv boards. Can you tell me with best way?
  • montana2008
    i tried my best to straighten UV boards and align with pixel to the best of my knowledge. It seems to of done nothing. A low res normal map really shows them up. it looks rubbish :-/ These assets are going to be big in my scene, with seams like this at 1024 or 2048 size they will be seen by the player in first person. I must be doing something wrong on export. just cant figure out what
    ltNYcVJ.jpg
  • Froyok
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    I suggest reading this article to see how to align your UVs at the right texel/pixel : http://www.worldofleveldesign.com/categories/udk/udk-lightmaps-02-uv-techniques-and-how-to-create-second-uv-channel-in-maya.php

The lower the resolution, the less pixel you will have, therefore you will loose in precision. If your UV border is half-way a pixel, you won't be able to get a perfect bake.
  • montana2008
    Thanks Froyok, i understand where your coming from now. I tried to follow that link you sent. i snapped my UV boarders to the grid in maya. but its still the same. am i doing something wrong?
    gG7l0vZ.jpg
  • Nexinumbra
    Offline / Send Message
    @Montana2008

Personally I think your seams (at least in the first screenshot you posted) are about as good as can be expected, especially once you put a color texture on top of it. That seam will be near invisible, and in fact I actually had trouble seeing it in the first place.

I think there are a couple of things to consider.

- If this board structure is going to be that big in your scene that a subtle seam will be so noticeable, you probably won't get good results regardless by using a 1024 or 2048.
    - You should consider moving the UV seam to somewhere else on the model that won't be as easily visible to the user/player/whoever.
    - If resolution of the normals are that important, and the model will be that big on your scene, you shouldn't try to fit all three boards into one UV space. You would be much better off making all three separate textures so that you can maximize your 1024 or 2048 texture space.
  • montana2008
    thanks nexinumbra, i was under the impression that a perfect normal map bake meant no seams at all. I guess i was wrong then. thanks for ur help
  • tynew
    Offline / Send Message
    tynew polycounter lvl 9
    Hi Substance staff!

I had a question regarding texture/user preset outputs.

I would like to pack these textures into this format:

Metallic (R) Occlusion (B) Flat 0.04 rgb 10,10,10 value (G) Roughness/Glossiness (A)

This would be a TGA. Is this possible? How would I go about doing this?
  • Fabian Fischer
    Offline / Send Message
    Fabian Fischer polycounter lvl 8
    Hey tynew,

this video explains how to use the export presets and how you pack textures.
    [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhcatW6yxQQ[/ame]

Best Regards
  • tynew
    Offline / Send Message
    tynew polycounter lvl 9
    That is helpful but now the only thing I am stuck on is having a rgb value for the Blue channel. I assume this is what UserX is for but looking up the online documentation has not explained this.

EDIT:
    After some extended googling looks like I found your answer to this already here Fabian. This is going to save SO much time, I LOVE substance painter. Thanks to Fabian and the Substance folk :D
    kw3iw7w.png
  • Froyok
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    For the following preset :
    Metallic (R)
    Occlusion (B)
    Flat 0.04 rgb 10,10,10 value (G)
    Roughness/Glossiness (A)

You will have indeed to use indeed a custom channel (UserX). Just use a fill layer to apply an uniform color on this channel and you will be good to go.
  • NicolasW
    Offline / Send Message
    NicolasW polycounter lvl 13
    You will need the User channel only for the uniform color (Green Channel) not for the Occlusion (Blue channel) since you can now export the baked map directly and create an export preset with baked maps. Fabian's message was prior we added this feature.
  • VinceDN
    Offline / Send Message
    VinceDN vertex
    2nrkfti.png

Hey guys, I'm just starting out with Substance and did this paint of a helmet to test. The problem is, when I import back into Maya one half of the halmet creates this weird see-through effect, I don't really understand why.
  • tynew
    Offline / Send Message
    tynew polycounter lvl 9
    EDIT: Nevermind, Wes is looking into it :)
  • billymcguffin
    Offline / Send Message
    billymcguffin polycounter lvl 11
    VinceDN It looks like the normals are flipped. There should be a function in maya to flip the normals of the object.
  • tynew
    Offline / Send Message
    tynew polycounter lvl 9
    Okay here is one additional question. How do I go about finding the PBR values for a particular channel? In Photoshop we use the histogram and look at the Luminosity median value of the layer/entire image, I can't seem to find anything similar in Painter.
  • Olli.
    Offline / Send Message
    Olli. polycounter lvl 8
    Is it possible to rotate the environment map in the 3D Viewer? or rotate the whole model? Its a bit hard to judge material definition on the darker side of the envmap and the rotating omni light doesnt really cut it.
  • NicolasW
    Offline / Send Message
    NicolasW polycounter lvl 13
    In Painter: Shift + RMB
    In Designer: Scene/Edit/Background image rotation

Rotating the env map in Designer using a shortcut is planned