Home General Discussion

3D character or Illustration for a career working as a freelancer?

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Mateus interpolator
Alright,

I have big interest in two disciplines of digital arts. I like 3D characters and 2D illustrations (mostly characters too). I've been doing a little of soul searching and trying to do both at the same time, but it seems impossible to decide which one to pick. I have only 2-3 hours of free time on weekdays to put into art learning and I have to choose only one to be able to progress well.

I want to make it as a freelancer if possible, because I'm not much the nomad kind of person. I would move only for something really interesting, like working on a company that I admire, but this would be extremely hard as I don't own a degree to get the visa. So, which one would be a better choice based on my aim to be working from home? (I think I'm much better at 3D at the moment).

You can see my current 3D character here: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153075
And here some 2D sketches: http://i.imgur.com/72qtVcl.jpg

I don´t have much to show because of my hiatus from art. I'm coming back now as I've made the decision of working with digital art someday.

Maybe someone can come up with some words to help me on my decision.

Thanks in advance. :poly136:

Replies

• slosh
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    Both of those are probably 2 of the hardest positions to succeed in the industry. Right now, your examples don't really show a lot of depth in either. I would say you are closer to characters than concepts.
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonas Ronnegard polycount sponsor
    You are probably quite some work away from actually being able to have a stable freelance career, there are all sort of different level of skilled people doing freelance work, but most of the less skilled one's are doing it on the side or living quite a crappy life. I would suggest getting experience and more confidence in your work before you decide to go all out 100% freelance
  • Mateus
    Offline / Send Message
    Mateus interpolator
    Thanks for the replies! I know I'm far from being good, what I wanted to know was which one would be better for freelancing when I get good enough.  Also, I was referring to illustration and not concept art.