Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Halo Hard surface Study (UE4) WIP

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
sziada polycounter lvl 11
Most Recent:

bryce-szandro-hero-asset.jpg?1441128557

I have been working on a recreation of Mike Murrill's Lockout for little while now and I am finally happy to post my WIP for the project.

As well as it been a study I have been working in competition between my friend Josh Schmitt to see who could produce the best end result.

I also through the study have tried recreating some of the original assets and trims from the Paul Pepera, Derrick Hammond and of course Mike Murrill.

bryce-szandro-door03.jpg?1429947760

bryce-szandro-trimsheet.jpg?1429963869

bryce-szandro-trimsheet-02.jpg?1431443580

bnNhNTH.png

aLLBNrA.png

Replies

• Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    wow really good start
  • PogoP
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    This is cool and all but.. It's just copying other people's work. Personally I feel you'd learn a hell of a lot more if you came up with your own designs and tried to make something new that still fits in the Halo universe.

You can't really put those renders on your portfolio, because people know that somebody else created the original and it won't make you look very good.

Sorry if that sounds harsh. It looks like you have a good base now to start creating your designs.
  • sziada
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP wrote: »
    This is cool and all but.. It's just copying other people's work. Personally I feel you'd learn a hell of a lot more if you came up with your own designs and tried to make something new that still fits in the Halo universe.

You can't really put those renders on your portfolio, because people know that somebody else created the original and it won't make you look very good.

Sorry if that sounds harsh. It looks like you have a good base now to start creating your designs.

I've started incorporating my own stuff in there, the whole back room I came up with also making some of my own trims now just to suit the level.

but I will take your advice, I will try and come up with some awesome designs for you. I just wanted to use this scene to kind of raise my quality bar, you know, but I get you and I will keep that in mind.
  • RILKE
    Offline / Send Message
    RILKE polycounter lvl 12
    It's coming along nicely, looking forward to seeing where this goes.
  • sziada
    Offline / Send Message
    07Y12lG.png

a small update still have a few place holders
  • sziada
  • MooseCommander

Many art schools require students to do an exercise called a Master study or Master copy, where you literally try and copy a piece as accurately as you can, so that you can learn how the best of the best created something.

It's not an inherently creative exercise, but it has value in that you will learn a lot from trying to recreate someone else's work as accurately as possible.

I do agree that learning to design your own pieces is a much more valuable skill. But you have to learn how to model properly first.

It might not be appropriate to put these in your portfolio if you don't make enough changes to differentiate, but ultimately you did model these yourself - whether or not the design was your idea. Most of the work we do is based off concept art anyway, so how often is something entirely your design (unless you are godly like Snefer)?

Doing what you can to make it your own is always important, though.
  • sziada
    Offline / Send Message
    Many art schools require students to do an exercise called a Master study or Master copy, where you literally try and copy a piece as accurately as you can, so that you can learn how the best of the best created something.

It's not an inherently creative exercise, but it has value in that you will learn a lot from trying to recreate someone else's work as accurately as possible.

I do agree that learning to design your own pieces is a much more valuable skill. But you have to learn how to model properly first.

It might not be appropriate to put these in your portfolio if you don't make enough changes to differentiate, but ultimately you did model these yourself - whether or not the design was your idea. Most of the work we do is based off concept art anyway, so how often is something entirely your design (unless you are godly like Snefer)?

Doing what you can to make it your own is always important, though.

I agree with this, if the original designer had an issue with me using a recreation in my portfolio I am happy to take it down. As well I want to try and match a standard as best I can as I want to raise the bar when it comes to standards of my work. The whole purpose of this environment was to give myself a standard and also to learn more about the environment creation process I am nowhere near done yet, but some areas of this map look no where near as close as the original.
    I agree with that , but I as I stated before I wanted to incorporate some of my own ideas as well. I have been studying into numerous artists and games.

examples like vitaly bulgarov and deus ex

but I know what both sides are saying and I completely agree, but I did state that these were recreations and link to the original artists and pieces.

most likely I will take this out of the folio when I have something much better to show off that was completely of my own ideas.
  • MisterSande
    Offline / Send Message
    MisterSande polycounter lvl 8
    I see absolutely no problem putting this piece into your portfolio as long as you are making sure it is clear that this is, in essence, a "master study".

You are nailing it btw. As of now I do not really have any crits !
  • sziada
  • sziada
  • 3dReaper
    Offline / Send Message
    3dReaper polycounter lvl 4
    People create art from concepts created from other artists. They create models of other artist's renditions. Generally many artists eventually create a piece that is directly taken from or at least is influenced by a game's universe in some fashion.

I see no problem picking a game, picking a section of said game and recreating it verbatim or even altering it in some way. If you were a game designer and "designed" a level that is exactly a copy of an existing level and called it your own that is a different story. What you are doing is not designing this level, you are creating the assets of the level as a way of saying you can re-create an existing level from scratch from an artist's perspective.

The best example I can give is if a character artist created Predator. Did the character artist design the character? No. Did they create the character themselves and pull off the level of quality required to impress the viewer? That is totally fine.

You are doing a great job, keep at it. This will be a great portfolio piece.
  • Swarm22
    Offline / Send Message
    Swarm22 polycounter lvl 15
    I don't have a problem with recreating someone else's work either. I see nothing wrong with putting something like this in your portfolio. It still shows that you are a competent artist. If this were a tutorial you were following along with that would be a different story, but it's not so keep at it, looking good.
  • sziada
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks guys, yeah I will going on this one, and try and refine it a bit more, but thanks for the support, will try and make another update soon!
  • theblueturtle_
    Offline / Send Message
    theblueturtle_ polycounter lvl 3
    Looking good so far sziada! Can't wait to see the progress on this going forward so that said I'll hold the critique until you've had a chance to make some more head way. :)

I agree that being able to design & build your own scenes is something that is really valuable but there is absolutely nothing wrong with building off of another artist's work (concept art, screenshot from a finished game, whatever) as long as you make it clear that the piece was based on someone elses concept or that it's a recreation of some kind. Also depending on the type of job you're applying for your employer won't care how well you can design your own stuff. They are paying you to help them bring their vision to life not your own so it is extremely important to be able to recreate something from reference material or screenshots in this case.
  • Cay
    Offline / Send Message
    Cay polycounter lvl 5
    It's super hard to design stuff on your own as a beginner.. so what's the point really? It's better to have something awesome based off someone else's design than a piece that doesn't work at all
  • sziada
    Offline / Send Message
    ZlAWcVr.png

did a little more texture work and also some updates to the lighting
  • clinington
    Offline / Send Message
    clinington polycounter lvl 10
    Looking real good so far. I like your high poly work. Nothing wrong with recreating someone else's design if you're learning from it :D
  • Drav
    Offline / Send Message
    Drav polycounter lvl 9
    I dont see any problem with it either....
  • pixelpatron
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    This is looking great so far, but you lost it for me when you added the rocks outside, sure a few rocks to add some intrest...but I'd much rather see something epic with a great horizon...when looking out those windows. A great matte painting or photo-sourced collage would go a lot further than rocks right in yo' face.

A few examples: (minus the trees in front)
    Mars.jpg
    Color pallet on this image is all wrong, but the feel/shapes are a good direction.
    indiedb_1.jpg
    This one....I like the flooring but don't care too much for the wallpaper (those photoshop like lens flares....yuck, something more subtle for the planets would be good...see below.)
    o-THREE-ALIEN-PLANETS-facebook.jpg

It's 30 bucks, but it'd be a great starting point.
    CGSkies_0095_thumblarge.jpg

Or for extra credit, use concept from the Halo 5 art director and nail an image/vista/scene as follows:
    sparth-medieval_interlude_05t.jpg?1414512039
    Or my personal choice: (don't forget you'd possibly be able to see other parts of the structure while being inside this space.)
    sparth-halo5-concept-sparth-04.jpg?1436477361

Good luck, this is gonna be cool.
  • sziada
    Offline / Send Message
    This is looking great so far, but you lost it for me when you added the rocks outside, sure a few rocks to add some intrest...but I'd much rather see something epic with a great horizon...when looking out those windows. A great matte painting or photo-sourced collage would go a lot further than rocks right in yo' face.

A few examples: (minus the trees in front)
    Mars.jpg
    Color pallet on this image is all wrong, but the feel/shapes are a good direction.
    indiedb_1.jpg
    This one....I like the flooring but don't care too much for the wallpaper (those photoshop like lens flares....yuck, something more subtle for the planets would be good...see below.)
    o-THREE-ALIEN-PLANETS-facebook.jpg

It's 30 bucks, but it'd be a great starting point.
    CGSkies_0095_thumblarge.jpg

Or for extra credit, use concept from the Halo 5 art director and nail an image/vista/scene as follows:
    sparth-medieval_interlude_05t.jpg?1414512039
    Or my personal choice: (don't forget you'd possibly be able to see other parts of the structure while being inside this space.)
    sparth-halo5-concept-sparth-04.jpg?1436477361

Good luck, this is gonna be cool.
    I like your thinking and I will give it a crack most definitely
  • sziada
  • sziada
    Offline / Send Message
    they are just done with normal mapping on a flat texture, basically make a trims and reuse the texture through the level man.
  • sziada
    Offline / Send Message
    Shinigami wrote: »
    iam just wondering. Are the tiles you made gonna be flat texture and then bumped or are they gonna stay partially geometry?

the tiles I made are baked down to texture, and then reused across whole level, I have other tiles, literally almost everything in this scene was tiled there a very few unique asset that were made in high and baked, just the door and one other piece, everything else was made with trim sheets and tiled it across the scene
  • sziada
    Offline / Send Message
    Got a low poly for the door in engine with a few place holder textures
    going to use the opportunity to learn substance workflow! :D

8a8bwHM.png

GPjB2lA.png
  • sziada
    Offline / Send Message
    Been Working on the Landscape for this one atm and also been trying to get the mood for this scene down, still have lots of work to do. thinking maybe of incorporating some exterior structures outside! :D

Q4tEsAd.png

z87dHk9.png

dnB3ktL.png
  • sziada
  • sziada
  • Armangelo
    Offline / Send Message
    Armangelo polycounter lvl 6
    That's a very nice backdrop. And the lighting is much moodier as well. Some clues or markers to sell the scale of the landscape (floating ships in the distance, other outpost lights far off in the horizon, etc) could help sell it.
  • sziada
    Offline / Send Message
    Armangelo wrote: »
    That's a very nice backdrop. And the lighting is much moodier as well. Some clues or markers to sell the scale of the landscape (floating ships in the distance, other outpost lights far off in the horizon, etc) could help sell it.

thanks man yeah mood was a big thing for the scene and I totally agree with adding some pieces outside and I am currently coming up with ideas for assets I want to put out there!
  • PogoP
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    Lookin' cool man! I think it needs more detail in the ceiling. Lots of pipes, cabling etc!

Might be nice to show more of the installation in the exterior too, so you can see how embedded the installation is in the landscape. Perhaps a couple of long corridors extending like arms with doors opening to the outside or something.

Also, I think those railings need to be embedded a bit better. Just some holes in the floor trim, or perhaps just a flat piece of metal they sit on. Or perhaps they clamp onto the lip of the trim.

Looking much nicer though, great work so far!
  • clinington
    Offline / Send Message
    clinington polycounter lvl 10
    This is looking better all the time! The backdrop is awesome :D I agree with PogoP about needing more pipes/cabling on the ceiling, think it looks pretty bare at the moment. Great progress though :D
  • Joshflighter
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshflighter polycounter lvl 9
    Nice work man! =)
  • sziada
    Offline / Send Message
    Another Asset for my scene that is a current work in progress. I recreated Josh Dina's version of the model for the scene to learn and also I believe it suited the overall piece better than the original.
    Original Mike Murrill: http://www.mikemurrill.com/images/digital/halo4_lookout_machine13.jpg
    Redesign by Josh Dina: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/halo-4-fan-art

OS2vc3j.png
  • sziada