CharacterCarl greentooth
LATEST UPDATE: DONE!
carl-christian-gehl-annie-mei-4.jpg?1440926374
carl-christian-gehl-annie-mei-6.jpg?1440926370
carl-christian-gehl-annie-mei-1.jpg?1440926378
carl-christian-gehl-annie-mei-2.jpg?1440926364
carl-christian-gehl-annie-mei-3.jpg?1440926376
carl-christian-gehl-annie-mei-5.jpg?1440926372

Had some time before the semester starts, so I decided to pick up one of one of CTCHRYSLER's Annie Mei sketches and make her into a realtime model.

lmSWOIKl.jpg

So far, the high poly is finished. Retopo is next:

uC0YSZT.png
WQJ673hl.png
tqjhw2nl.png
DTgz5pLl.png
tumblr_nm48niFeJV1tnza29o1_1280.jpg
tumblr_nmdvlcDQ6J1tnza29o1_r1_1280.jpg

Hands will be inside pockets later, hence no detailing. Keeping symmetry for the sake of retopo/UVs for now.

Replies

• rbong obong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rbong obong polycounter lvl 8
    maybe work on the area where the nose meets the forehead right now it does not seem right.
  • CharacterCarl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CharacterCarl greentooth
    Hey, thanks for your criticism.
    Nasal bone was all wrong. Fixed it a bit, hope it's better now.

KQo4Hq5.jpg
  • CharacterCarl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CharacterCarl greentooth
    Did most of the retopology (ponytail still missing) and some UVs.
    I'll be using separate textures for the jacket, all the hair (not shown) and everything else.

z2Tjp6f.jpg

Right now, I'm reprojecting the details from my high poly sculpt onto the retopo inside ZBrush. Hopefully, this will save me some time when doing the baking. I'll also move her arms up a notch for that.
  • CharacterCarl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CharacterCarl greentooth
    Did some hair tubes and projected the high poly detail onto my retopo.
    Thought about setting up my initial pieces inside Maya with UVs but then made a custom IMM brush inside ZBrush. UV Master is actually giving good results for the tubes so I'll stick to this:

tumblr_nmsav6jnQW1tnza29o1_1280.jpg
  • alifarsangi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alifarsangi polycounter lvl 9
    really cool ! keep it up
  • CharacterCarl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CharacterCarl greentooth
    @alifarsangi: Thank you! It's fun, so I will. ;) Slower though, because semester has started.

I baked her normals inside of ZBrush and made a quick pose for her (while sitting on a floor with a tablet on my lap, hehe):
    tumblr_nn05d4bAEl1tnza29o1_1280.png
    tumblr_nn05d4bAEl1tnza29o2_1280.png
    Right hand is clipping through pocket, I know.
    Next time, I'll most likely be using xNormal again though, mainly for reasons of control.
    Also, I'm going to up the subdiv on her hair once.

Renderman for funsies:
    UwuQeSO.jpg
  • JimmyRustler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JimmyRustler polycounter lvl 8
    I liked Annie Mei, she's cute.
    And definitely approved of where this is going. Looking awesome so far.

Can't wait to see the textures! Keep it up!
  • Edrice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Edrice polycounter lvl 7
    I think you're going to fast, and it's hurting the quality of your work. It's pretty good, but it needs to be cleaned up and polished. There's a lot of blobs and aberrations that your transferring in your normal map. Using the pinch, polish and smooth brushes you should do a bit of cleaning passes. This will improve your model in a big way.
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    I like where this is going. I think the hair needs a lot of work...it looks really rough right now. Her shirt looks a little rough too...should look smoother.
  • CharacterCarl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CharacterCarl greentooth
    Thanks Jimmy for the kind words and thank you Edrice and slosh for the criticism!
    @slosh:You're right: The hair sculpt is rather undefined. If higher subdiv on the retopo doesn't do it, I'll do her bangs and fringe with tubes too. Also makes for some more tidy UVs in the end:

Sdfbrt1.jpg

@Edrice: I'm thinking about (re-)creating the clothing seams/details with nDo2 because baking will only get me so far. Mainly though, because they didn't turn out that consistent on the sculpt and no layers were used on the jacket, which I'll definately do next time.
    Will dp some polishing as well.
  • Kurt Russell Fan Club
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kurt Russell Fan Club polycounter lvl 9
    This looks nice. I agree with Edrice's speed comment - great art but maybe a little more refinement would help. I love the pointiness of her ears. In the latest shot the bake looks a little off on the lower helix bit though, and her jawline.
  • InterVention
  • Vertrucio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vertrucio greentooth
    In terms of stylization, a less defined chin and a tiny bit of vertical squash on her face porportions would work.

The face itself doesn't have much definition besides the overall shape, and that's by design.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    one big thing i think you need to work on is the overall smoothness. she generally speaking just looks a bit "rough" right now, too many bobbly places and resulting weird shading.
  • CharacterCarl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CharacterCarl greentooth
    @Kurt Russell Fan Club : You're right. The helix needs some smoothing out.
    @InterVention: Thanks!
    @Vetrucio: Checked it with the reference and you have a valid point. I'll see to trying that out.
    @almighty_gir: Yup. Will work on that. Hopefully the new hair already does its part:

tumblr_nna7ikZon81tnza29o2_1280.jpg
    tumblr_nna7ikZon81tnza29o1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_nna7ikZon81tnza29o3_1280.jpg

The tubes will receive transparent textures so I will probably have to make them longer in the end.
  • bkost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bkost interpolator
    Very lovely work!

I have a question... so you did your retopo in Zbrush? And used a low poly version of her and projected the high poly? And that was all in Zbrush?

Sorry, I'm extremely curious how you do this.. I've never gone past the sculpting stages and I'd love to do so.

My initial idea was to make the Sculpt. Take the mesh into 3dCoat and make the lowpoly verson. But if you can do all of that in Zbrush.. I would love to know your workflow!

Thank you! Cheers
  • CharacterCarl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CharacterCarl greentooth
    Hey bkost,

no, the retopo itself was done inside Maya (with heavy use of QuadDraw). I even made my jacket basemesh there before I started sculpting the detail inside ZBrush and ended up using a higher subdiv version of that basemesh as my retopo with a few changes (pockets).
    I then made my UVs and brought back the retopo into ZBrush and used Subtool->Project->ProjectAll to reproject my detail onto the retopo before creating the normal map inside ZBrush. This way I could get okay-ish bakes without the need of creating a projection cage first if I were to follow the 'regular' workflow you'd do with xNormal for example. However, you lose some control and your retopo topology might not always be what is ideal for the high poly (i.e. you can't use floaters for example).
    kbGKLrB.jpg
    Some slight errors here and there, also meshes with slight thickness (her top for example) are a problem, so you have to remove the side you don't want to project from first. I'm far from having developed an optimal workflow myself though, so don't take this information as universally valid. :)
  • nastobi123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nastobi123 polycounter lvl 8
    yeah Annie Mae !! I think you almost go it. The nose is just bothering me tho.
  • CharacterCarl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CharacterCarl greentooth
    Nose was too pointy/thin. Checked other reference and adjusted it a bit. Thanks nastobi123!
    Tried a bit of vertical squash and gave her some proxy eyelashes, Vertrucio.

tumblr_nnlbvljH4g1tnza29o1_1280.jpg

I used a radial light in addition to the standard sun light with basic material here for the BPR render.
    Must remind myself to add the green orbs to her ears later. :D
  • gruntpunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gruntpunch polycounter lvl 5
    This character is evolving really nicely. My crit would be to widen the nostrils out. You really want them to reach the medial canthus of the eye. Keep it up!
  • CharacterCarl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CharacterCarl greentooth
    Hey, thanks for the feedback! Also, sorry for the slow progress. I've fixed the nostrils a bit:

tumblr_noczkqw0Gi1tnza29o1_1280.jpg

I've UV'd all her hair and baked the eyelashes. The shells in the lower left are for her ponytail. Might straighten them out as well (old nostrils):

r6JS058.jpg
  • CharacterCarl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CharacterCarl greentooth
    Semester's over! Time to dig this out again.

If you wanna see what I did during the last two months, except for commute + sleep, look here: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=154140

I re-did Annie's UVs and baked her maps inside Substance Designer. Here is some quick texture work done inside Painter:

tumblr_nru9kpvM8L1tnza29o4_r2_1280.jpg
    tumblr_nru9kpvM8L1tnza29o5_r1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nru9kpvM8L1tnza29o3_1280.jpg
    tumblr_nru9kpvM8L1tnza29o1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_nru9kpvM8L1tnza29o2_1280.jpg

I'm dissatisfied with the hair as it is now. The whole strand-drawing business isn't working out. Need to simplify, I'm going for a cleaner look. More along the lines of this:

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/435371488954684724/

and this, for example: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=125346&page=4 (w
  • CharacterCarl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CharacterCarl greentooth
    I fixed her eyes. They don't look as creepy anymore. Also minor texture adjustments before I jump back into the hair:

tumblr_ns33uqrjAE1tnza29o1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_ns33uqrjAE1tnza29o2_1280.jpg
  • CharacterCarl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CharacterCarl greentooth
    And after a few hours of Drum & Bass-induced flow I got the hair almost sorted out:

tumblr_nsbo56EeF31tnza29o1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_nsbo56EeF31tnza29o3_1280.jpg
    tumblr_nsbo56EeF31tnza29o4_1280.jpg

I created myself a base inside PS which I generated the individual maps from:
    1G534cN.png

I also went ahead and made her a rig today, mainly because I couldn't stand to look at her staring blandly into the void any longer. :D
    AoSPII6l.jpg

Alternative hair with no metallic and lower specular and some XGen testing that I did before. The tube grooming feature is nice:
    qH8uGgO.jpg
    S0DQKMT.jpg
  • Poinball
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Poinball polycounter lvl 6
    The Hair look mutch better ! Keep it up :)
  • CharacterCarl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CharacterCarl greentooth
    I'm working on her jacket and shirt. The zipper is still very WIP and obviously too big. :D The high poly sculpt could've been better: I'm redoing the jacket seams. It's a bit thick for a cargo jacket as well. There is progress on the materials side, though. Still some texturing to go until it looks the way it's supposed to but at least it doesn't resemble leather anymore.

tumblr_nsiqwnLSze1tnza29o1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_nsiqwnLSze1tnza29o2_1280.jpg
  • CharacterCarl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CharacterCarl greentooth
    The jacket is mostly finished now. I wasn't sure about the star at first. I think I'm going to leave it as a kind of print/sticker thing instead of making it look stitched onto the jacket.

tumblr_nthd2bkbpa1tnza29o2_1280.jpg
    tumblr_nthd2bkbpa1tnza29o1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_nthd2bkbpa1tnza29o3_1280.jpg
  • akiratang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    akiratang polycounter lvl 11
    Looks really nice , Cute character =)
  • ROBBOsulsu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ROBBOsulsu null
    You should be proud with the work you've achieved so far! She's looking great, sci-if like with a large dose of believability. Really good character and I can't wait to see the final design. Keep up the great work!
  • CharacterCarl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CharacterCarl greentooth
    Thanks akiratang. I really dig CTChrysler's designs in general.

@ROBBOsulsu: Thanks mate. I'm gonna hold off on the being-proud part until I'm done with this project. Which will be very soon. ;)

I've changed the lighting to something closer to the concept and with less of her face in shadow (here is the old one):
    1pSEW8U.jpg

And here is the new lighting:
    tumblr_ntt9gdI5rB1tnza29o2_1280.jpg
    tumblr_ntt9gdI5rB1tnza29o1_1280.jpg

Still needs some color correction.

I'm trying to make her smile (ideally in a non-creepy way :D), as I think it fits her character better than the original expression. Please point out everything that seems off.
    There will be two or three poses/expressions for the final presentation of the model. So there are a couple more blend shapes to go.
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    This has come a long way! You might as well do her legs too! One thing I would fix is how her eyes get cut into by the eye socket geo around her iris. I have this problem too...go in there and move verts or add some cuts to fix that. Looks great...nice work!
  • CharacterCarl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CharacterCarl greentooth
    Thanks so much slosh!
    Damn, you're right. I should've done the legs from the beginning on. Now it's too late. :o Next project is waiting!
    I'm glad that you pointed that out. Fixed the eyes aaaand done:

carl-christian-gehl-annie-mei-4.jpg?1440926374
    carl-christian-gehl-annie-mei-6.jpg?1440926370
    carl-christian-gehl-annie-mei-1.jpg?1440926378
    carl-christian-gehl-annie-mei-2.jpg?1440926364
    carl-christian-gehl-annie-mei-3.jpg?1440926376
    carl-christian-gehl-annie-mei-5.jpg?1440926372
  • JimmyRustler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JimmyRustler polycounter lvl 8
    Loved the final results. Looks awesome, and the hair turned out super great.
    Good job.
  • CharacterCarl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CharacterCarl greentooth
    Thanks man! I aprreciate it. I also like how the cards turned out. Not so satisfied with her scalp though. :)
  • sgtscience
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sgtscience polycounter lvl 8
    Nice work. And ya the hair turned out really nice. Good work there. Did you force 2 sided the hair geo? Would that work at all?
  • CharacterCarl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CharacterCarl greentooth
    Thanks sgtscience! Sorry for late reply. The hair is indeed displayed double-sided. It's actually made up of tubes as you can see in the wireframe. with a gradient-like texture:

tRPalw0.jpg
  • floon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    floon greentooth
    Hey really well done :). I like it a lot!
  • Gail_Blitzy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gail_Blitzy polycounter lvl 8
    Really fascinating project to read through and the results are brilliant!
  • alifarsangi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alifarsangi polycounter lvl 9
    wow ! it looks amazing !