Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] - Procedural Nature Environment

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
jacob07777 polycounter lvl 14
--- Update 07/21/2015 ---
I made a post in the comments below, but just to keep things clean I am adding the video up here in the main post as well :)
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gut5ermayK4[/ame]

Original Post

Hey guys,
So maybe some of you have seen the progress of this scene along the way, and maybe some of you haven't. I've been working on an almost entirely procedurally generated Nature Environment. So far it can create rivers, tree's, vines, and plenty of stuff that I haven't even thought of that I'm sure its capable of haha
download_zps8zeh9bbl.jpg

There is also procedural moss placement on assets, like the rocks and tree trunks, procedural color variations of grass and leaf textures, and some vertex painted moss as well. The branches can be adjusted by - the number of branches, the angle of the branches, the angle variance of the branches, twist of the tree trunk, the amount of wind applied to them, and the ability to select seperate branch models for each spline i place in the scene.The branches will randomize their position and rotation so no two will ever be exactly the same :)

The rivers are all spline generated as well with a material that increases the speed of the river based off of the normal angles of the geo and adds foam to the water at the tops and base of any water falls which is calculated using the tangent angles of the spline.

I'm hoping to have time to make a video here pretty soon so you can see the environment in motion. Will most likely post it here and on my facebook as well.
www.facebook.com/purepolygons

The scene has wind, including the spline branches and of course the river moves and flows, all of the grass n such is moving and a little garden gnome says hi sometimes if you look closely. Watch it for hours when i release the video... you'll see him eventually. I want to try to find some time soon too to be able to expand on some of the techniques with the splines and materials that I used for this to share it with you guys. In the mean time, I hope you all enjoy the work and like what I've done with it so far :)

jacob-norris-wip07.jpg?1435294489
jacob-norris-wip06.jpg?1435295709
jacob-norris-wip08.jpg?1435294227

For the rocks, it's actually only one rock model in the scene throughout the whole thing. I just set it up with worldspace color overlays and normals so that I could scale and rotate the thing without any distortion of the material. When I was designing the rock initially I tried to come up with a very unique shape that I could get a lot of variation out of it. Here is a very simple early sculpt of the rock, before I finished it up and detailed it.
2015-06-20_14-26-08_zpskwhr8hts.jpg

Example of the Procedural Splines used to create the environment
jacob-norris-highresscreenshot00024.jpg?1435295185

Here is the simple spline model that im using for all of the trees
2015-06-21_18-05-45_zpsnhhqgsxk.jpg

Some youtube videos that I made along the way while I was working on the scene.
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jec8Fe5K7Pc[/ame]
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPkVBx7snVc[/ame]
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfahXmHF4V8[/ame]

Replies

• Stavaas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stavaas polycounter lvl 3
    Wow that's gorgeous work mate!
  • DireWolf
  • Kid.in.the.Dark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kid.in.the.Dark polycounter lvl 6
    Daaaang... What I'd do to have technical knowledge like you have loool, very very nice (Y)
  • dzibarik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dzibarik polycounter lvl 10
    Damn, this looks very good for something procedural. Is it built-in functionality or do you need plugins for that?
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    Quite impressive work. Do I remember you trying to put the procedural/spline work on the Unreal marketplace?
  • BlvdNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BlvdNights polycounter lvl 8
    Great process so far! Definitely the first step but you can see the potential of what the system could be down the road.
  • jacob07777
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks so much everyone :)

@ dzibarik - Everything that I created has the functionality for it in the editor. I just used blueprints and the Unreal Material Editor in unison to create the necessary procedural attributes.

@Tobbo - Thank you! Yeah I started off with this idea simply to create some ropes and hoses and cables. Then while working on it, I had the idea for some nature related tools, so I expanded on it

@BlvdNights - I really have no idea I am sure just how endless the possibilities are for this. I think I will continue looking further into splines and blueprints :)
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    wow dude, this is freaking crazy. Im speechless o.O
  • TomGT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomGT polycounter
    Procedural!? That is crazy how you got it to look like that, with one rock!! Did you also use that one spline for all the trees as well?

Awesome Stuff!
  • jacob07777
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @TomGT - Haha, one rock can go a long way! Thanks man

It is only using that one spline model for all of the trees and then I am simply applying different tiling texture values within the blueprint, different branch values, rotations, amounts, scales, etc. Then once you make one tree out of the splines I basically just copied and pasted it and could make quick adjustments to the splines to make it look like a completely new tree :)
  • keosar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    keosar polycounter lvl 16
    That was crazy!... I kept saying "whoa" every few seconds , Great job!
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    However I really like the idea, and the techniques,and I'm a bit fan of such things, I think this could not work in production, because you calculate everything in real time, and maaaany lines of codes has to be executed to get this, every frame.I mean you could not build an openworld jungle or something like this with such solutions. That would result insane system requirements at the end. It gives extreme amount of freedom and its awesome, but... you know :)
  • underfox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    underfox polycounter lvl 7
    what about corridor games like Uncharted and such? Would you say it is still too expensive to use such technique?
  • amirabd2130
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    amirabd2130 polycounter lvl 7
    Great stuff Jacob :thumbup:
  • jacob07777
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura wrote: »
    However I really like the idea, and the techniques,and I'm a bit fan of such things, I think this could not work in production, because you calculate everything in real time, and maaaany lines of codes has to be executed to get this, every frame.I mean you could not build an openworld jungle or something like this with such solutions. That would result insane system requirements at the end. It gives extreme amount of freedom and its awesome, but... you know :)

Hi Obscura,
    It doesn't actually calculate it every frame, it's a checkbox in the blueprint to tell it only to run when changes are made. I get over 30FPS with this in the Engine and that's with most things tessellated in the scene and 8k/4k/2k textures throughout. It's all about the LOD's and tessellation fade that I have setup on the assets and I am sure I could optimize it even more when I continue looking into the technique. I really think once I get this fleshed out a bit more that it could be a real way of working on games in the future. I'm excited about it! Worst case scenario, it's easy to export the models created with the splines as an FBX and re-import it as a static model back into the engine. I hope to get the video finished up for it this weekend :)

underfox wrote: »
    what about corridor games like Uncharted and such? Would you say it is still too expensive to use such technique?

I think it's possible for sure ;) Especially with the crazy talented engineers and tech artists over at Naughty Dog. But I can't really comment on any of the tech at Naughty Dog, as it is entirely unrelated to my nature project that I'm doing in my own personal time.
  • nickcomeau
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nickcomeau polycounter lvl 4
    Gotta pick my jaw up off the floor...... O.O This is awesome I really would love to see how you did this, it could be very useful to say the least haha
  • jacob07777
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha thanks so much nick! I still plan on one day making some gumroads and simple breakdowns of what I can for it. Just finding the time can be a bit hard, but I haven't forgotten!

For those interested I put together a video finally of the Procedural Nature Scene!I show off some of the tech a bit more, not in extreme detail, but there are a lot more beauty shots of the environment throughout. I hope you all enjoy!
    [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gut5ermayK4[/ame]
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
    I can fap to this.

Very nice.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Love the water splines. The auto-foam and auto-speed stuff makes me happy...
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    8-4k textures, most of the stuff tessellated, semi-dynamic system. Sorry, but I still think that this is not production ready, but take this as my personal opinion. Baking into static mesh would solve the most of the my fears by the way.

The most of the users doesn't even have a card to handle 4k textures properly when they are used heavily.

I still like the approach, I just don't think that an ordinary user's pc could handle a whole game like this. Maybe in the close future.

I would be really interested to see others opinion too. Maybe I'm just worrying too much about performance, and underestimating the ordinary user's hardwares.
  • thereisnospace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thereisnospace polycounter lvl 5
    just a deadline and a price tag that's all we need... :D
  • theblueturtle_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    theblueturtle_ polycounter lvl 3
    holy smokes! this is amazing
  • jacob07777
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Snefer hahaha, thanks so much man! You do what you gotta do lol. Means a lot coming from you, thank you :)

@Warren - Thank you! A few times I almost gave up, thinking I couldn't do it, but I pushed through and it makes me happy also :)

@Obscura - It definitely isn't the most vast audience to run everything at highest settings, but I definitely think in a few years it will be the standard. I am already seeing 2k becoming standard in some PC games and 4k and 8k popping up here and there. My machine isn't anything special and it does a pretty good job rendering everything. I'm sure if I really went deep and optimized more, especially on lighting, that it would run pretty smooth on what people would consider a common machine.

Thanks for the comments everyone! I still hope to make a tutorial somewhere down the line, it will happen, it will lol
  • Kashaar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kashaar polycount sponsor
    Very cool stuff - you should totally polish it up and submit that to the UE4 marketplace! :)
  • _Kratos_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _Kratos_ polycounter lvl 11
    Very impressive stuff here...specially the water shader...
  • Higuy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Higuy polycounter lvl 9
    You should really submit this to the marketplace. I want it. Do you want money? I'll give you some for it!

(A tutorial could work too!)

It looks really impressive. The water blueprint is awesome and definitely great, and same with the tree with splines and branches too. It's great. Amazing work, really.
  • chrisavigni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisavigni polycounter lvl 12
    Freaking awesome! Another impressive work Jacob!
  • xChris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xChris polycounter lvl 9
    Dude. This stuff is so inspiring, now I'm going to lose a ton of sleep trying to get better at my art, thanks for this!