Home Technical Talk

Good-looking vertex colors?

armagon
polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
armagon polycounter lvl 11
I've been trying to achieve this look with my vertex-colored models, but i always get gradient-ish colors and not that flat, clean style. Is this something related to the shader? Or is he using a texture with a flat color palette and a tight UV map?

Replies

• Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    One thing you need is to detach to elements based on color change. So lets say you have a wall, and an extrude for the side of the roof, and you want the wall red, and the extrusion to be gray... You detach them, and color them differently.

Also, a thing that you see is that he use only one color on one element. Using one color on one element won't give you any gradients.
    the detaching to elements will result some extra verticles by the way :D
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, this is the method.

Also, Unity only supports a single color per vertex, while 3ds Max supports multiple colors. Triangles sharing a vertex can be colored differently in 3ds Max, but not in Unity. Unity will throw away the extra color, and make a gradient. So be careful how you color them!
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    Yes, this is the method.

Also, Unity only supports a single color per vertex, while 3ds Max supports multiple colors. Triangles sharing a vertex can be colored differently in 3ds Max, but not in Unity. Unity will throw away the extra color, and make a gradient. So be careful how you color them!

Max and Maya split these verts, just like with smoothing groups, UV seams, material changes etc... But I guess Unity does try to optimize by limiting to one colour per vertex. So detaching geometry you want to have distinct colour changes as mentioned above would be the best bet.