Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Courtyard Environment. Second Try ;)

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Eaglewing polycounter lvl 7
Hello everyone, I've posted this scene already in a thread a few months ago. Due to working on my Bachelor Thesis I had to take a longer break so it looks like it was forgotten.
http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=146937
This will be my second try on this scene because I had to rework a lot of the models and UVs, because I did a lot of mistakes. I hope to get along faster with your help, because I'd really like to finish my first large scene soon ;)
Those Screenshots are taken from UE4, just with basic lighting and one tileable Brick Wall Texture I did in Substance Designer. The floor is just a placeholder for now, and I plan to sculpt a hero piece to use in the middle of the courtyard. Although I will have to learn Zbrush for that first^^.
I want to build everything else in UE4 first though. I want to use tileable textures for the Walls and Floors, and using Substance Painter to work on the rest of the assets.
If anyone has comments/critique that would be great. Especially in the texturing/lighting department, because this is my first time using Substance and Unreal Engine.

pNsCWr6.jpg

vbDZD8f.jpg

YROgfT0.jpg

uQjLctG.jpg

7WUVsW3.png

And the concept which the scene is based on:

jk40UrQ.jpg

Replies

• Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    Looks like a great start! I'll be watching this! :)
  • PogoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    Off to a great start dude! Really like the lighting :)
  • Eaglewing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did a Cobblestone Floor texture with help of Hugo Beyers Tutorial and added stairs to the ground.
    Does anyone now how to work with Bump Offset in UE4, because if I just plug the Height map into the BumpOffset Node I don't get the right results
    9MzfGGa.png
    qXeP9QU.png
    AoSpcK7.png
  • Eaglewing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, I've did some textures the last few days. Still WIP though as well as the lighting. I'm not completely content with the result but I think it's going in the right direction. What do you guys think?

GC7MXOQ.jpg

066RiNt.jpg

zUNts7O.jpg
  • Eaglewing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello everyone. I hope some of you are still reading this thread. I'm getting close to finishing this scene I guess. I worked on it for a long time already and while it is not perfect in any way I'm still quite happy with the result. I still plan to add some Ivy and play around with Vertex Painting but aside from that I'm pretty much done.
    Any critique and comments would be greatly appreciated.
    I still have some problems properly lighting the scene especially the corridors. I'm using a directiona Light as the Sun Light and a Sky Light for Additional Lighting but the corridors are still way to dark in my opinion. Any ideas on how to fix this?

wmcvjBG.jpg

vOgBIe7.jpg

yzMsMTM.jpg

tqzB5xc.jpg
  • Hoshi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hoshi polycounter lvl 6
    Hey man, really like this project :) I feel like you have a scale issue on the pillars. To me, compared to the concept, they look too short and maybe a bit too wide, which makes your 3D less impressive or intimidating than the concept, less vertical.

Great work thought, looking forward to see more !
  • Eaglewing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for the critique. I've kinda never noticed. I guess thats what happens if you work on a single project for such a long period of time :D I'll try to work on it when I've got the time in the future but after such a long time working on it I really want to finish this scene to work on soemthing else for a change of pace so I guess that will have to wait
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 10
    How are you lighting it? Dynamic or baked? If you're baking lighting, you can experiment with the baked GI values to help get some more light around the scene. If you're dynamic, you could try the LPVs, but they're fairly buggy last time I checked. Do you have a reflection actor in the scene as well?

I'd also turn off eye adaptation for the time being(if you're using it) and consider using it at the end for final tweaks, especially if you're going to have multiple camera angles in and out of shadow. But that and the other post-process options(like controlling strength of baked GI) can help lighten it up as well.

That's a great concept though, I look forward to see where you go with it.
  • Eaglewing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm using baked Lighting. So far the scene contains a Directional Light as the Sun and a Sky Light as well as a Post Processing Volume and a Sphere Reflection Capture.
    The problem is if I increase the strength of the Global illumination the darker parts of the scene get more visible but the other parts of the scene become too bright.
  • _Kratos_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _Kratos_ polycounter lvl 11
    Its looking good so far! Compo seems pretty good... my main critique would be some of the textures seem to be a bit noisy on the normals... specially considering the materials you are using... just an idea :)
    Keep it up!
  • Eaglewing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Any Textures specifically you got in mind? I've wanted to have the stone a rough worn out look so I thought noisy normals would work pretty fine.
  • Eaglewing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have another question for you guys. The Cobblestone Floor Texture seems a bit flat. Any good ways to fake a better amount of depth? Currently I'm using a Height Map plugged into a Bump Offset Note with a small value, but it doesn't seem to work all too well. Are there any other ways to fake this depth in Unreal?
  • Eaglewing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I think I managed to fix most of my Lighting issues today.

Py8jHIG.jpg

ptwzJIG.jpg

aRHX55q.jpg
  • Eaglewing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everyone, sorry for not posting anymore. I've finished the scene in the last two months and am fairly happy with it. Just thought you guys should know since I've got so many responses. The scene and breakdown can be found under https://www.artstation.com/artwork/dLmLQ