Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Wayward Art Dump (Image Heavy!)

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
klamp polycounter lvl 14
For the last year and change I've had the great pleasure of working at a studio in Seattle called AtomJack. My coworkers and I (12 of us, altogether) were working on the first game for the studio, known simply as project "Wayward" (we were still in the process of coming up with an official name). Wayward was the story of a girl who crash lands on an alien planet, her journey to get back home, and the friendship she forms with a giant robot along the way. A couple months ago our publisher pulled out and we lost our funding, so unfortunately the game will never be finished.

The one upside of all this is that I can now show what we'd been working on. I really felt like we had something fun and special, and it's a shame to see it come to an end. I enjoyed every bit of working on the game, though, and hopefully you guys will get a kick out of checking out this stuff.

So, without further ado...

Here's a montage of some of the gameplay, just to give you some context:

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vxd873li8LI[/ame]

I was the character artist on the team, and here are some of the models I had worked on...

The main character, "Kira":
wayward_kira.png
wayward_kira_construction.png

Her robot friend:
wayward_robot.png
wayward_robot_construction.png

A shoulder-mounted blaster for the robot:
wayward_shoulderblaster.png
wayward_shoulderblaster_construction.png

Some non-aggressive crystal creatures, found in the mines:
wayward_crystalcreatures.png
wayward_crystalcreatures_construction.png

The enemy boss of the mines area:
wayward_drillboss.png
wayward_drillboss_construction.png

And some various other enemy henchmen:
wayward_enemies.png
wayward_enemies_wireframes.png

Along with the models, I was also starting to explore the visual style of the UI:

wayward_map_screen.gif

wayward_controls_screen.gif

....Aaaaaand more content still to post!

Replies

• klamp
    Offline / Send Message
    klamp polycounter lvl 14
    Continuing on...

For those that didn't want to click on the youtube link, here are some screenshots of that build (of the more polished areas):

wayward_screencap_01.png

wayward_screencap_02.png

wayward_screencap_03.png

wayward_screencap_04.png

wayward_screencap_05.png

wayward_screencap_06.png

I've also put the Robot model on sketchfab, for anyone who wants to look at it in a bit more depth:

[sketchfab]c3511b7e3af24da99bd35b42460fa1d0[/sketchfab]

And finally (for now, at least), here's a playlist from our animator of some of the animations he was working on for the characters and enemies. A big challenge he had in particular was communicating a growing relationship between the girl and the robot without the use of dialog:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLKaf55y1Kzehowhclfx5cDRc3RzlugdW-

I might post some of the concept work as well, but I would need the permission of our art director to do so. Either way, hope you all like what I've posted thus far.
  • skullsplitter
    Offline / Send Message
    skullsplitter polycounter lvl 18
    While I appreciate the attention to detail, what made you model the different pannels on it's shoulders instead of just using the textures?
  • Pedro Amorim
    dude! The art is amazing and the videos I saw showing the animations were spectacular! I must try this game. Loved the interaction between bot and girl. Awesome chemistry.
  • klamp
    Offline / Send Message
    klamp polycounter lvl 14
    While I appreciate the attention to detail, what made you model the different pannels on it's shoulders instead of just using the textures?

Originally I had just made it part of the texture, but our animator requested that it was separate geometry so he could have more control over different parts of the robot - for overlapping action, for jostling bits of the robot on impacts, and in case we wanted to show damage states where parts of the robot were hanging loose or falling off. He's already pretty reasonable in regards to polycount, so we could spare the extra polys to make those parts separate.

Also, the panels on top of the shoulders were intended to be compartments that held things. For example, we had planned that shoulder blaster to unfold from that compartment when activated. So, naturally, they needed to be separate meshes that could open and close.

dude! The art is amazing and the videos I saw showing the animations were spectacular! I must try this game. Loved the interaction between bot and girl. Awesome chemistry.

Thanks!! I'm really glad you like it. Unfortunately, since the game was cancelled, you won't be able to play it since we don't have the funding to finish it. The studio shut down last week :(
  • spitty
    Offline / Send Message
    spitty polycounter lvl 17
    really sorry to hear this was cancelled. i was following the game and looking forward to playing it. the characters and animation look great! looks like a metroidvania type game which i'm always a fan of. i guess there's no way to kickstart the game or get other funding? best of luck to everyone at atomjack finding new work.
  • JasonLavoie
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Beautiful work klamp! Thanks for sharing! Any chance could we get some animation break downs as well, the presentation looks so nice!

Sorry to here about the studio shutting down, but the work is awesome, I hope you all land on your feet nice and fast :)
  • C86G
    Offline / Send Message
    C86G greentooth
    A couple months ago our publisher pulled out and we lost our funding, so unfortunately the game will never be finished.

What?! Everything you show us is absolutely amazing, art and gameplay looks very nice! Is there any chance you can get this fundet by, let´s say kickstarter or something?

Anyway, good luck : /
  • slosh
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    This stuff look fantastic! Floyd is one of my buddies and seeing his animations with your models is pretty awesome. Really bummed this didn't get to see the light of day...
  • pixelpatron
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    Why can't we have the nice things? You guys should seriously kickstart this thing, I'd put some money up for it. Previous publisher own it or something?

I'm local to Seattle working at King/Z2 (recently acquired)......check out our site for any openings. PM me and I'll make sure your stuff goes to the right people.
  • Edrice
    Offline / Send Message
    Edrice polycounter lvl 7
    This looks great, and having a great video of actual gameplay like this would grab some attention on kickstarter.
  • poageboy
    Offline / Send Message
    poageboy polycounter lvl 4
    Man, the art looks great! Shame it was cancelled. Best of luck to you in the future!
  • klamp
    Offline / Send Message
    klamp polycounter lvl 14
    Thanks everyone! Really kind of you all to say such positive things. I'm glad it wasn't just us that liked where this was going.

Regarding Kickstarter, it's definitely something we considered. The truth is there seems to be one of two ways to succeed in a Kickstarter campaign:
    1. You submit a project that's mostly finished - which lowers your asking amount - and the purpose of your campaign is mostly for publicity
    2. You have big name people behind it - long time industry vets like Tim Schafer, Sid Meier, or Koji Igarashi, which has more of a chance of fulfilling a higher budget

Our project was definitely not close to finishing. The systems were mostly there, but there were still plenty of things that needed to be tested and proven, and a lot of content that had yet to be made. In order to reasonably fund the project, our budget would have been too high for a Kickstarter campaign. And while I love my team members, and they're all rockstars in my eyes, they're definitely not as well known as any of the vets I listed above, and it would've been harder to meet the higher asking price without that kind of level of celebrity.

Again, thanks though. Knowing there was even anyone out there who'd be willing to donate their money for our vision is awesome as it is. :D
    Beautiful work klamp! Thanks for sharing! Any chance could we get some animation break downs as well, the presentation looks so nice!

Thanks!! I'll ask our animator if he has more videos of animation cycles. Was there something specific you wanted to see? And did you check out the playlist I posted? There's a bunch of animations in there, too.
  • klamp
    Offline / Send Message
    klamp polycounter lvl 14
    Just got permission to post some concept work from our art director, David Ryan Paul. These are just a handful of the concepts he created. Many more are available on his tumblr (click on his name to follow the link).

Some early exploration in art style and Kira's design...

tumblr_nrjqy6WUWs1qc9nb5o2_1280.jpg

tumblr_nrjqy6WUWs1qc9nb5o3_1280.jpg

tumblr_nrjqy6WUWs1qc9nb5o5_1280.jpg

..Before landing on the final concept:

tumblr_nrjqy6WUWs1qc9nb5o6_1280.jpg

And a similar development of the robot:

tumblr_nrldn5NriA1qc9nb5o3_1280.jpg

tumblr_nrldn5NriA1qc9nb5o5_1280.jpg

tumblr_nrldn5NriA1qc9nb5o6_1280.jpg

tumblr_nrldn5NriA1qc9nb5o8_1280.jpg

...And the final concept:

tumblr_nrldn5NriA1qc9nb5o10_1280.jpg

Coming up next, enemies!
  • FloydBishop
  • weisheng
    Offline / Send Message
    weisheng polycounter lvl 9
    ridiculously awesome man, huge bummer the publisher pulled out - so much terrific work with SO MUCH personality left in the void ]:
  • klamp
    Offline / Send Message
    klamp polycounter lvl 14
    As promised, here's some more concept work featuring enemy robot designs! Wooooooo.

Some suuuper early exploration:
    tumblr_nrnkpwcg8N1qc9nb5o1_1280.jpg

Refining a bit more and exploring style:
    tumblr_nrnkpwcg8N1qc9nb5o3_1280.jpg

This was the first color treatment the enemy robots received:
    tumblr_nrnkpwcg8N1qc9nb5o5_1280.jpg

...but it was later decided that they should have a more neutral, sterile feel. Also, the more colorful palette blended in with the background environment art too well, which made the enemies harder to see on screen.
    tumblr_nrnkrqwh0c1qc9nb5o3_1280.jpg

And here was the concept for the drill boss:
    tumblr_nrnkrqwh0c1qc9nb5o5_1280.jpg

More stuff to be posted soon!
  • xChris
    Offline / Send Message
    xChris polycounter lvl 9
    Reallllyyyy love this style, sorry about the studio closing dowm Clamp, I'm sure you'll find something real soon, your stuff is to good
  • Funky Bunnies
    Offline / Send Message
    Funky Bunnies polycounter lvl 17
    sooo incredibly cool,
    I'm super bummed the publisher backed out before it could see completion :[

(btw, your glorious youtube videos can be embedded if you use the old-style youtube link like "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=******"
  • Jeff Parrott
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Sorry to hear about the game not seeing the light of day. I was really looking forward to this one. Really amazing work you all were doing.
  • klamp
    Offline / Send Message
    klamp polycounter lvl 14
    Thanks again for all the kind words, folks! I know the rest of the team and I really, really appreciate it. :D
    (btw, your glorious youtube videos can be embedded if you use the old-style youtube link like "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=******"

UGH! THANK YOU SO MUCH. I KNEW there had to be some way to do it. Fixed the first post so the video is embedded now!