Home Technical Talk

How The F*#% Do I Model This? - Reply for help with specific shapes - (Post attempt before asking)

Replies

• maxivz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maxivz interpolator
    Just made it after lunchbreak really quick, but this should work, use the cut tool and done basiclly :p, ill include the obj. Topology is not the best ever and edges are a bit tight but you get the idea, hope it help!
    43c6d4f2e9.png
    f246e5d7d2.jpg
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bx6c3u6g8_uMQ2puZ2tGcEQwTTA
  • Garasin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Garasin polycounter lvl 10
    @maxivz: Awesome, I'll check it out and try and replicate it. thanks!
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    How do i model this shit?

Sci-Fi_Ambient_01.jpg
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    When you can snatch the pebble from my hand, you will be ready...

Uh ... MeshFusion and stamp the details on with Substance Painter? Probably how I'd approach it.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    Shinigami wrote: »
    ha, even i know! ;)

prove it.
  • wirrexx
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master

Sci-Fi_Ambient_01.jpg

Hey Gir, a Student from GA, berlin here. I'll try to explain my workflow.
    (3Ds max)
    I started off with a Box.
    Gave it A TS and Spherified it.

Made a spline Circle (with 8 sides).
    Cut in the new edges on my mesh.

During the entire time i only worked on 1/4 of the modell cause it's pretty symmetrical .

For the smaller holes, i choose to go with CapableWizard Techqnique with using floaters. But it could be done the same way i did the first hole.

Best Regards

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=154841

hzmWTNO.jpg
  • Sajeet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sajeet polycounter lvl 7
    Soooo.. have real problems with this mesh. have no real clue how to solve it.
    if someone could point me in right direction i would be a happy puppy.
    This one feels like its beyond saving but not really sure.
  • wirrexx
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    Sajeet wrote: »
    Soooo.. have real problems with this mesh. have no real clue how to solve it.
    if someone could point me in right direction i would be a happy puppy.
    This one feels like its beyond saving but not really sure.

what's the problem? Does the HP smooth bad? do you get pinches? etc etc. Main reason i'm asking it's because, if this i a hp which you will bake down, if it smooths good move on. Are you getting pinches? are we getting close to the object to see the small pinches?

Make the main shape without any indents or extrudes. Later on, add the Second biggest shapes (make them floaters for now to see how many edges will be needed).

So, 1.
    Big shapes first (Use as few edges as possible, remember 3 verts is all that you need for a smoothed shape)
    2. medium shape (if you don't have enough geo, turbosmooth once or equilant in maya)
    3. Small shapes (turbosmooth once again if geo is not enough)

I'll give you superb ex. ALL OF THEM ARE FROM PERNA

Line up your pieces before you go at it, basically block out! =)

p3if7ls.jpg
    hxI4SPY.jpg

and a tube clipp worth looking at

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLxt9ZAGPLIpdIVO83UkwI08KjQ55kCX2j
  • Sajeet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sajeet polycounter lvl 7
    thx Wirrexx. really new to the concept of high poly modelling and trying to wrap my head around it.
    when i smooth it i see i dont have to mutch in case of pinching, but i have problem with my edge flow not sure how to fix the edges not running around the whole mesh. But that just noob stuff and ill watch the clips and see if i get any wiser. :)
  • Sobern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm having a problem smoothing this vertex correctly : f3UH8E8.jpg
    4qQih8b.jpg

Here is the FBX: https://mega.nz/#!6EJ3yR7R!Hac9A4g3aaX5IR-ysP4kY-1hzVkVpYKDz1ddq6slZ7k (don't forget the edge loops)

BTW how do you guys troubleshoot problems like this ? I usually try to do every combination of edges until I can't think of any.
  • joaosouza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joaosouza polycounter lvl 4
    How would you guys approach this shape in red ?
    uqOPhAA.jpg

Having so much trouble with this, chamfer just give bad results (both "tri" and "quad" chamfer).
    wMbsg12.jpg

This will be a high poly for a game res version, and analyzing the CSGO model, it appears that this is a separated part, but from the side it looks so good, so I am not sure.

Also, the shapes pointed with an arrow, it is better to make them part of my main mesh or just model them as separated objects ?
    If I make it separated, how to get this "welded" look ?

What I have so far.
  • noosence
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    noosence polycounter lvl 9
    Something like this maybe?

WmZ6DHW.jpg
  • Kostis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You seem to have the parts the arrows point to covered, though I would go with softer transitions there, a bit smoother corners, as in your reference. Other than that, I think noosence used the right approach. No need for such heavy chamfering, just a few control edges that are easier to ...well... control.
  • joaosouza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys, I think I got it.
    Actually this shape is a bit tricky (for me anyway), because you have to match the roundness on the side and on the back part.
    JyElhwD.jpg

In the end the shape came like this
    W7pHZnc.jpg

Not sure if that was the best approach, but it looks way better now.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    1813 vertex
    I have been checking the documentation and i can't find anything for this but in maya is there a way to offset multiplier edges?
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth

Sci-Fi_Ambient_01.jpg

With a CAD software or meshfusion :p
    Honestly sometimes i'd like to learn that kind of soft for mechanical stuff. Pretty sure it'would be straightforward for that shape.
    With subd, you could have something looking good enough, but you would never maintain a perfect sphere.

I'll try to give it a shot. Shinigami topo looks good to me, except the sphere is bit squarrish.
    I'd go with a hp sphere and booleans, then retopology on top.
    Blue part beeing the only part needed to be modeled.
    eh6grpes.jpg
    redir?resid=4D35F619AE0595F2!14298&authkey=!AJzPP6t3oWosNLA&v=3&ithint=photo%2cjpg
  • joaosouza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • SonicBlue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SonicBlue polycounter lvl 10
    Is it not perfect, but you can change the shape to match it better accordingly:

8XJL3DJ.jpg
    qmE9DcK.jpg
  • maxivz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maxivz interpolator
    Another one from mine in case it helps:
    cc3a475648.jpg
  • maxivz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maxivz interpolator
    That screw can esilly be done if you subdivide once and then use that as a base, if i have time i will give it a try tomorrow and post
  • DireWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did this a while ago.

o1RZBQM.png

I started from cube and save these edges as selection set.
    7GQGO4G.png

After smoothing the selection set would give me this.
    6TxuFW4.png

Then I smoothed a 1x1 plane and shrink-wrapped onto the first object and start doing quad draw from there.
    Wq75kHu.png
  • MisterSande
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MisterSande polycounter lvl 8
    oke guys, im in dire need of some advice!

I am modeling this scene atm. for a study project and have allot with the main "doorway" piece. How would you approach such an object ?

breakdown_desert.jpg?dl=0
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    first of all i would run that image through shoebox by RenderHJS to create a planar version of it. Then i would just trace it. The shape of the door is pretty simple actually. Just create the baseshape, make sure it has enough support geo and then cut our the windows
  • MisterSande
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MisterSande polycounter lvl 8
    thanks for the quick reply Neox. I took a look at Shoebox and it is a really nifty tool for us environment artists!

I will still need some advice on the door though but I will give this another shot first on my own.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    i am really not sure what kind of advice i should give. draw a wireframe on top, that should possibly make it easier to understand
  • Grusti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grusti polycounter lvl 10
    it's just a bunch of overlapping polygons and yes draw a wireframe on top should be easier to understand
  • EHumbert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello there, I am modeling master chief's helmet but i'm stuck at the visor, how would you do to have these nice sharp lines on a rounded surface without having pinching ?
    1437327725-sans-titre-1.jpg
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    ingame version or a real working one?

for ingame we do pretty much all of these with floaters

for a properly working on you'll need a clean baseshape, subdivide it until you got enough geometry and then cut in the lines
  • jeffbriant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeffbriant polycounter lvl 4
    Hey folks, I can't seem to get rid of a little bulge in this top edge that is resulting in the dirt shader acting funny. how would i get this to subD properly?

Model: mShLUuT.png

Render of it: epIl4Xt.png

SubD wire: 9WuQCCm.png

SubD wire(Side with bulge issue showing): UvKY20M.png

Wire: SYhsdAE.png

I've tried a bunch of things, someone here pleaaaase help. Thanks in advance!
  • xChris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xChris polycounter lvl 9
    It looks like you can get away with one bevel for those sharp edges
    EHumbert wrote: »
    Hello there, I am modeling master chief's helmet but i'm stuck at the visor, how would you do to have these nice sharp lines on a rounded surface without having pinching ?
    1437327725-sans-titre-1.jpg
  • pablohotsauce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pablohotsauce polycounter lvl 7
    @jeffbriant: try moving the edges indicated in red to the positions indicated in green, and remove the yellow edgeloops completely, or at least move them upward.

jeffbriant-cyl_1.jpg~original
  • SonicBlue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Check if you have hard edges too, if you are not sure press U~N (Phong Break Selection), they will be highlighted in dark blue, or just select all edges, RMB and select "Unbreak Phong Shading".
  • natec
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    natec polycounter lvl 14
    Can't you just use a geosphere? Or put a vert in the middle of each of your hexagons, and scale up slightly? Or bevel outward a bit, then collapse the face to a point...

Must be missing something...
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GhostDetector polycounter lvl 10
    @Shinigami
    That is a default primitive in blender, called an icosphere
    (icosahedron is the technical term),
    anyways if you put a vertex in the middle of each hexagon and then make the entire mesh more spherical. (I use blender so I'm unfamiliar with other programs' terminology.)
  • SonicBlue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HVaR1YO.png

BsXZzom.png

anyone?

If you need better pictures, that thing is a Radar Dome, a Radome. Is that CGHQ?

Anyway, as GhostDetector said, it's an Icosahedron. I think this shape came up some time ago in this thread.
  • s6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    Seems like max's 'GeoSphere' prim will get you in the ballpark:

UpXB5Wa.png
  • SoDamnTrue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, I have run out of ideas how to model the main shape of this helmet. I really cannot figure out how to make these holes in the main part. Any help appreciated. Thanks!

dklJHqn.png

6iVJyRu.jpg

VOjpoho.png

MjASHcI.png
  • MykulJaxin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MykulJaxin polycounter lvl 4
    I gotta keep this no higher than 350 tris and I'd really like to add a couple more edge loops. I feel like that geometry around the pommel is looking kinda naughty and am wondering how y'all would rearrange it to conserve space? Or is it fine and I shouldn't worry about it? (I'm at 346 tris if the image is unclear) I've been staring at it so long trying to keep under 350 tris everything in my life feels like it has to meet those qualifications, too. I feel very uncomfortable typing this because my mind is assuring me that I've typed more than 350 tris worth of words. I think it's time to go to bed.

bUYlx8Z.jpg
  • natec
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    natec polycounter lvl 14
    I don't see a reason to keep those edge loops going through past the handle on the low poly model. Remove them and use to round out the ring at bottom.
  • Mr Digital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr Digital polycounter lvl 8
    Indeed, with geosphere is possible.

rT35KF7.jpg
  • WaYWO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WaYWO greentooth
    SoDamnTrue wrote: »
    Hey, I have run out of ideas how to model the main shape of this helmet. I really cannot figure out how to make these holes in the main part. Any help appreciated. Thanks!

dklJHqn.png

6iVJyRu.jpg

VOjpoho.png

MjASHcI.png

Hi, do booleans + cleanup eachtime after. there's no magic, you see a hole you juste cutin the hole in.
  • WaYWO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WaYWO greentooth
    MykulJaxin wrote: »
    I gotta keep this no higher than 350 tris and I'd really like to add a couple more edge loops. I feel like that geometry around the pommel is looking kinda naughty and am wondering how y'all would rearrange it to conserve space? Or is it fine and I shouldn't worry about it? (I'm at 346 tris if the image is unclear) I've been staring at it so long trying to keep under 350 tris everything in my life feels like it has to meet those qualifications, too. I feel very uncomfortable typing this because my mind is assuring me that I've typed more than 350 tris worth of words. I think it's time to go to bed.

bUYlx8Z.jpg

Well if its nasty trough the player view you have bad distribution of your tris,

think about it, you have to detail as much as possible the areas near the player eyes, if i was you, i would remove some loops of the curvature of the pommel make it x sides, now i will introduce some triangles on the ring at the bottom to be able to add more geo where needed, then smooth normals to see the result.
  • SoDamnTrue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    modeling helmets was always hard for me since it only has a curved surface, that means distribution needs to be clean as well as geometry. I'll try though

I am looking forward to.

I have cut holes in objects before but never cut uneven hole into uneven object. First time modeling this helmet, I used sphere and tried to get that surface right. Figure out that this does not work for me. Now I made 4 planes for each side with small amount of polys and tried to make them work. What I came up with is this. Still no idea how to make these holes. Based on reference picture, I am not even sure if those holes are all with same size. I am most likely going to try boolean. Any help welcome!

u7b22BY.jpg

YZRRzTE.jpg

It's a start but far from perfect :(

BxUVYtc.jpg

s1Ls7Ti.jpg
  • nieistniejacy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi all.

I have started to model my favorite seiko 5 watch (snk809 - great piece, BTW) and I'm struggling with movement parts, this one especially.

Boole is unusable in this case and amount of detail and I'm not very experienced with modeling on this level of precision.

I'm usin cinema 4d, but any advice how to start is welcom - in terminology from any software. Thanks!

Seiko7005.html&h=485&w=500&tbnid=AhKGWpprqI23rM:&docid=dyGmIn96o54M5M&ei=d2GuVe2YAaS67gbql6-ICA&tbm=isch&ved=0CE0QMygpMClqFQoTCK2wybXB7MYCFSSd2wod6ssLgQ

chapter12.html&h=375&w=500&tbnid=f8iRHuMl1kXatM:&docid=jlAlcBktrBkfFM&ei=d2GuVe2YAaS67gbql6-ICA&tbm=isch&ved=0CEgQMygkMCRqFQoTCK2wybXB7MYCFSSd2wod6ssLgQ
  • cookedpeanut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cookedpeanut polycounter lvl 12
    I would have subdivided by smoothing groups and then cut the details in with the extra geometry. On curved surfaces you generally need more geometry to support details since it defines the shape better. Do this once you're certain the base-mesh is complete.

Another option is to create the base mesh and details you want to cut in, much like booleon objects and then subtract them in ZBrush. This way you can re-import the model and retopologize over the surface. There's a few ways of doing it.
  • SoDamnTrue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would have subdivided by smoothing groups and then cut the details in with the extra geometry. On curved surfaces you generally need more geometry to support details since it defines the shape better. Do this once you're certain the base-mesh is complete.

Another option is to create the base mesh and details you want to cut in, much like booleon objects and then subtract them in ZBrush. This way you can re-import the model and retopologize over the surface. There's a few ways of doing it.

I have zero experience with ZBrush. Did what you recommended in first part and it came out surprisingly well. Still needs a lot of tweaking but it starts to look like on reference picture. Thank you all for help! With subdiv 36K poly :(
    Problably could bake it and use 6K low poly mesh.

l24YYxJ.jpg
  • Imad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gave that shape a little go
    DBezrsb.png
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Imad, that's cool and all, but the purpose of this thread is to share how you've modeled something. Do you have a wireframe shot or something?
  • Imad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    Imad, that's cool and all, but the purpose of this thread is to share how you've modeled something. Do you have a wireframe shot or something?

Oh apologies. I have modelled it but the topology will be useless as it was modelled in Inventor. I brought it into 3ds max to assign smoothing groups, uv, texture, and render.

As another poster said, it may be useful to try and model it in a CAD software, because in max etc you would never get it to be a perfect circle.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MykulJaxin wrote: »

cutloops.jpg

Cut the loops in red.