Home Technical Talk

Weapon kit-bashing kits

armagon
polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
armagon polycounter lvl 11
I've found lot's of scifi-ish, robot-ish and similar kits, but i was looking for weapon parts. Not just small parts, but things like handles, muzzles, etc. I'm writing a small procedural workflow in Houdini and i'm planning to build up those weapons based on a few rules.

Replies

• JoshWilkinson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshWilkinson polycounter lvl 9
    Honestly, I'd recommend building a kit. The AR15 is a completely modular platform so you see people change out the barrel, the muzzle brake, the grip, the magazine, the stock, everything. Each third party manufacturer has their own take on all the aforementioned components, and each first party frame is built with slightly different design tweaks that make each unique. I've often thought about making a library of all the different optic configurations that you see on ARs and have a customization option similar to Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter. It's a versatile family that you can get a lot of different design options from but, as you can probably tell, all of this is catered to the AR platform. (short barrel ARs, AR15 and some .308 sniper rifles).

If you're looking for generic weapon shapes that you want to bash together, no I've never seen anything like that. Perhaps for the reasons mentioned before, that guns are usually made of unqie shapes and much less generic?
  • armagon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not that kind of customization. I'm really looking for generic weapon shapes that i can arrange together and come out with a result. There will be odd results, like in any procedural tool, but you tweak parameters to adjust how they fit together, size, etc.

I'm not really focusing on "modern military" weapons, so, i can take some creative freedom here, to make the life easier for the first prototype (and then evolve to something more coherent). Maybe i'm not going the procedural way, maybe i'm going the parametric way. Like: generate a barrell, tweak it's size, make 2 of it. Now add a handle base. And you have a 12 gauge. Reduce the barrel size, drop the second, add a rail, keep the base, and you have a rifle. That kind of workflow.

In Houdini, i have successfully made some quite interesting generators, like rocks and buildings. Trying to experiment with weapons. But since they are much more geometrically interesting, they need a kit to make shapes from, instead of just primitives (like buildings) and noise (rocks).
  • JoshWilkinson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshWilkinson polycounter lvl 9
    Oh man ya, I've never seen or heard of a workflow like that. If you're dead set on weapons, I can't help you. If your goal is to take a stab at hard surface, mechanical things, Vitaly Bulgarov has lots of kits and makes a lot of mechs with his stuff. I recommend checking it out: http://vitalybulgarov.com/3d-kitbash/

And do post your result. I'm quite curious
  • EdHanley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EdHanley polycounter lvl 9
    Hey Man, I was literally looking at Vitaly's site yesterday and seeing if he has anything like this as I was thinking about making such a kit. However I wasn't sure there would be any demand for something like this so I decided not to bother. Maybe I should reconsider...

Ed
  • tungerz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tungerz polygon
    BadKing has put together great resources (for zbrush) as well, ex...
    http://www.badking.com.au/site/shop/industrial/mech-weaponsby-mega-mech-pack/

Vitaly has awesome stuff though :)

Cheers,
    ~Tung
  • armagon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amazing website! Thanks for the tip. :D