Home Animation Showcase & Critiques

Run Cycle

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
jose.fuentes interpolator
Hey guys

I have been working on this run cycle on my freetime for a little. I have a couple more hours to put into it, need some secondary motion on the arms and head, and need to clean up my curves a bit, but here is where I'm at so far.

[vv]131855762[/vv]

Replies

• blinKX10
    Offline / Send Message
    blinKX10 polycounter lvl 7
    Not bad but his torso and shoulders could use some up and down, they're looking pretty stiff.
    You might also want to pull his COG forward or up, something seems a little off and I'm not sure how to describe it
  • Fashoomp
    Offline / Send Message
    Fashoomp polycounter lvl 10
    Definitely could use some more overall up and down. As the leg passes from behind underneath his body, the knee should bend and then the leg will swing forward before extending to contact the ground. As well, the leg that is making contact will be holding the weight of the body and the hips will drop to that side to compensate. Try finding some more reference to base your run on. Treadmill videos are usually really helpful.
  • jose.fuentes
    Offline / Send Message
    Put a little more time into the run

[vv] 132586232[/vv]
  • Fashoomp
    Offline / Send Message
    Good improvement!

One thing that stands out is that you have the side to side movement and rotation mixed up. The landing leg should be receiving the weight and the body should shift to that side (ie if the left leg is coming forward and about to make contact with the ground, the weight/center of gravity should shift to the left). Your hips are also rotating in the opposite direction. They should be rotated opposite to the arms. The image below helps illustrate what I'm talking about (it's for a walk, but it's the same principles).

gait%2Bguys.gif
  • jose.fuentes
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback Fashoomp!

I focused on my landing pose, trying to add more weight to it, I also reworked the shoulders and hips.

[vv]132586232[/vv]
  • Fashoomp
    Offline / Send Message
    The hips are still rotating the incorrect way. It should be twisting to help the leg come forward. Refer back to the image I posted above. Whatever the rotation on your shoulders is, the hips should be doing the opposite.
  • Skumtron
    Offline / Send Message
    Skumtron vertex
    Don't have any animation experience myself, so take my opinion with a grain of salt, but something feels iffy about the hands. From the side it looks great, but from the front it feels like he's trying to beat his own chest.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/46211000/jpg/_46211751_007795473-1.jpg
    Their fists never seem to go over the center of the ribcage.

Unsure how anatomically correct the lower part's animation is, but it looks good.
  • slipsius
    Yup, when the right leg is forward, the right hip should be forward and down. left hip back and up.

Also, your torso feels too straight up. make him lean forward a bit more in his chest.
  • Gmanx
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    Is that profile view ortho or perspective? I ask because he seems to have a limp. It could be a perspective issue or you may need to check your key symmetry. He seems to get more rise (most evident in the head) from his left leg.

Just looked again and it's evident in the front view too.
  • Arturow
    Offline / Send Message
    Arturow polycounter
    Hello Jose!

Here is a video from Kyle Balda doing a walk cycle from scratch, is not a run but there are conecepts that will help you a lot :)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9N_sIBRWvY"]www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9N_sIBRWvY[/ame]
  • PeteHawk
    Offline / Send Message
    PeteHawk polycounter lvl 12
    Just to add to peoples feedback:
    I think your hips need to move over the planted leg more. And tighten the feet to the center too. At the moment you have the hips over the passing leg and it throws it off balance a little. It will help with your spine arc:
    crit01_by_petro_hawczak-d913l7v.jpg

Another would be the arms. They are quite distracting. You always need to watch out with using too much movement on the arms. Just tone it down a little and lean forwards more.
    crit02_by_petro_hawczak-d913l8u.jpg

Good rule of thumb for the head bobbing is only go up half as high. If you start going up a head higher then it can get to much.
    Lastly what is his story? Is he running away or running to something? What is the cause? We animators want to see personality :)

Your arcs are good, need minor polish. And leg work is almost done. And timing seems good for now. If anything add a little hang time in the air.
    Keep it up Jose
  • jose.fuentes
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for all the feedback guys!