Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Not Another M4 Carbine!

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
ElectricEchoes polycounter lvl 6
I haven’t posted up anything in a while, so here is my latest WIP. It’s going to be baked, textured and put on my portfolio – hoping to have one online by the end of the year.

Be ruthless and tear me down if need me :thumbup:

Custom Parts Used:

**LATEST UPDATE**

LOW-POLY (WIP)

YuoVDru.jpg
KAqYocX.jpg
9IwvbF8.jpg

HI-POLY

EDF0Kn0.jpg
i4kIV4i.jpg

***ADDITIONAL HI-POLY SHOTS***

Replies

• ElectricEchoes
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, so it's time to get baking. Does anyone have any pointers? I mirrored the UVs on the stock and it's sitting at 2370 tris. I also capped off many of the holes (not sure whether to model them in or not).

RFv7ejf.jpg
    6PrtnVl.jpg
  • nastobi123
    Offline / Send Message
    nastobi123 polycounter lvl 8
    Wow this is such boss man.
  • ElectricEchoes
    Offline / Send Message
    nastobi123 - Thanks man! I just realised you finished the Blitz environment. Brilliant stuff!

Shinigami - Thanks Shinigami, the material was just a preset(titaniam) in toolbag 2. Unfortunately turbosmooth isn't instanced, so I'll have to turn it off on each part, but I'll try and post up some unsmoothed wires in my next update for you. :poly142:
  • Gazu
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 11
    Looks cool :) but why is the Flashlight Switch taped?

Now its possible that the Tape will press the button down which will turn on the Flashlight. Im not sure if this is realistic.
    Do you have a reference Picture of it?

Maybe a lot more pressue is necessary to press it down, so it would be allright with dat tape!
  • ElectricEchoes
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been a little busy, but here's a quick update on my bake (wires are above)

KAqYocX.jpg

I have a couple of concerns right now. The first being the tape around the foregrip. It's just a plane that I detached from the foregrip and 'pushed' slightly outward. You might have noticed that certain parts are vanishing. This gets worse the further I am away from the model.

The other would be the size of my UVs. Right now UVs are as uniform as possible. Should I enlarge the UVs that would be closer to the screen? (e.g, make the backup sight's UVs larger than the muzzle flash.) I ask this because I'm not particularly happy with the quality of normal map at 2048.

I tried to make a visual example to show how I currently have it. Feel free to tell me what else I could improve.
    a8nuJxw.jpg

Gazu: Thanks Gazu, there's a couple of images I found online using tape, but here is an example - http://i.imgur.com/UvtlMkN.jpg
  • Chase
    Offline / Send Message
    Chase polycounter lvl 9
    Subd for later! Im at work so ill go through with a fine tooth comb when im free!
  • Kid.in.the.Dark
    Offline / Send Message
    Kid.in.the.Dark polycounter lvl 6
    This is looking amazing man, the HP is absolutely sick! And the bakes are looking quite clean right now. Subbed for later (y)
  • ElectricEchoes
    Offline / Send Message
    Shinigami: Have a look here(at the bottom). I did close ups of the requested areas + extras. If there's anything else just say!

Chase: Thanks Chase! Haven't seen anything of yours up lately. What are you working on?

Kid.in.the.Dark: Cheers man, hopefully I can do the rest of it justice.
  • Chase
    Offline / Send Message
    Chase polycounter lvl 9
    Right! I've been trying to get better with this PBR'n. I've got a sniper rifle I've pretty much wrapped up for my freelancing gig here :)
  • ElectricEchoes
    Offline / Send Message
    Back at this for the texturing after a busy schedule. I'm creating a website on the side, so it should be online in the next few days :poly124:

This hasn't been easy so far. I'm struggling to find direction with it all, so hopefully you guys have some pointers.

YuoVDru.jpg
    RY4trFH.jpg
  • L4TF2
    Offline / Send Message
    L4TF2 polycounter lvl 2
    I've been a little busy, but here's a quick update on my bake (wires are above)

KAqYocX.jpg

I have a couple of concerns right now. The first being the tape around the foregrip. It's just a plane that I detached from the foregrip and 'pushed' slightly outward. You might have noticed that certain parts are vanishing. This gets worse the further I am away from the model.

The other would be the size of my UVs. Right now UVs are as uniform as possible. Should I enlarge the UVs that would be closer to the screen? (e.g, make the backup sight's UVs larger than the muzzle flash.) I ask this because I'm not particularly happy with the quality of normal map at 2048.

I tried to make a visual example to show how I currently have it. Feel free to tell me what else I could improve.
    a8nuJxw.jpg

Gazu: Thanks Gazu, there's a couple of images I found online using tape, but here is an example - http://i.imgur.com/UvtlMkN.jpg

Color coding each part of the model is the way to go!
  • ElectricEchoes
    Offline / Send Message
    With all that disorder, I'm not sure I would have made it through without it lol.