Home Technical Talk

Realtime rendering and physically based rendering; worth reading?

polycount sponsor
Offline / Send Message
Joost polycount sponsor
Just wondering if these books are worth purchasing for someone who isn't a graphics programmer but just a curious (tech) artist. And how well have they aged? Even though the latest editions are 8 and 5 years old I assume they're still relevant?
Also if you know of any good related books please share :)

Real-Time Rendering, Third Edition

[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1568814240/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2R05X4RO0Y1WT"]Real-Time Rendering, Third Edition: Amazon.co.uk: Tomas Akenine-Moller, Eric Haines, Naty Hoffman: 9781568814247: Books[/ame]

Physically Based Rendering, Second Edition

[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0123750792/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2WDH6JDHGW6U6"]Physically Based Rendering: Amazon.co.uk: Matt Pharr: 9780123750792: Books[/ame]

Replies

• radiancef0rge
    Offline / Send Message
    radiancef0rge ngon master
    The physically based rendering one is extremely technical, and the book is monster huge. I found it difficult to read and I feel I am pretty versed in the subject
  • Joost
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    The physically based rendering one is extremely technical, and the book is monster huge. I found it difficult to read and I feel I am pretty versed in the subject

Hmmm yeah I had a quick look through some of the pages on amazon and I think 90% of the book would go over my head. I need a "Realtime rendering for dummies" book :(
  • Eric Chadwick
    I was going to suggest http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Whitepapers#Game_Graphics_Articles but you've already been editing that page. Have you read through these links already?
  • Joost
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    Yeah the wiki has been a great resource and there's still plenty of information to gather there and I'm also trying to build on that information (slowly) but I was just wondering how beneficial it would be to get some book(s) as well. I guess most books are aimed at graphics programmers so probably too complicated for artists.
  • Eric Chadwick
    One thing that really helped me was to talk to a graphics programmer, asking them specific questions about things.
  • haiddasalami
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    pbrt is more raytracing oriented than realtime and also quite verbose. Tried reading it and wasnt my cup of tea. Pbrt3 should be out at some point. They were maintaining a github somewhere. Think what Eric mentioned is way better than those books XD. Are you just looking for info for pbr or code? The way I understood it (atleast in terms of behind the scenes) was to break down the shader.
  • Joost
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    Yeah that is very sensible advice, Eric, will definitely make an effort to do that.
    I'm basically after resources that are more in depth than articles aimed purely at artists So I can find out more about the theory and underlying principles rather than just practical art guidelines. But nothing at a graphics programming level either.
  • Ashaman73
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashaman73 polycounter lvl 6
    I own an older version of Real-time rendering and it is a really good book , but it is targeted more to techis ;-). On the other hand it is more about concepts and delivers a really good overview of rendering techniques (of old days, of current state and potentially future techniques). If you are unsure, try to lend it from someone who ownes it. I wouldn't recomment it to an artist who might not be interested in the technique used in rendering engines, but it could be useful to an tech artist.