Home General Discussion

Jurassic World

Replies

• dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    And nobody is mentioning that the mosasaur is like 4 times the actual fossil size?
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    heard similar levels of hate over the blue aliens in Ridley scotts Avatar, and i gotta say i hated the design at first as well. but when i saw the movie, it was pretty damn enjoyable.
    gonna treat JW the same. i'll read the reviews, and if it gets a score above 6 on imdb, i'll consider watching it.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    dfacto wrote: »
    And nobody is mentioning that the mosasaur is like 4 times the actual fossil size?

By design, raptors (not utah raptors) are also not as huge as they always have benn in JP
  • tom_moser
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto wrote: »

It's liopleurodon, didn't you watch charlie the unicorn? :D

but yeah, they always increase (t-rex, "raptors") or decrease (dilophosaurus) the size of these animals. I'm really sad that they're going with B-class "hybrid monster hunting people" approach, Jurassic Park was about people losing their top position in environment, running away from bigger fish and about dark side of pushing science limits further than it's needed.

I know, these are summer blockbusters, but I really miss the good old sci-fi that could bring some real discussion.
    It wasn't all about rollercoaster of action scenes and distorted bass sounds.
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    tom_moser wrote: »
    It's liopleurodon, didn't you watch charlie the unicorn? :D

It could be, but Liopleurodon is more snaggletoothed and has a thin neck. This looks more like a Mosasaur to me.
    image002.jpg
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    A lot of the dinosaurs would probably have feathers too, but then it wouldn't look like Jurassic park.
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    why not? I thought the director want to bring it to 2014 taste..

http://www.theguardian.com/science/lost-worlds/2014/dec/04/scientists-disappointed-jurassic-world-dinosaurs-movie-film

maybe animating so many feathers on each dinosaurs could be a nightmare ... not sure ... or feathered dinosaur design is not that scary ... so they decided to not follow the new design
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Jurassic Park has been around for too long and has its character and set designs firmly cemented after several films, games, and toy-lines (which will probably get recycled to a certain extent). It would be neat to see a new take on dinosaurs, but I'd wager a bet that more movie goers would want to see the ones they grew up with (in this series and others), instead of a bunch of giant bird monsters.
  • Paul Pepera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Pepera polycounter lvl 9
    I was under the impression that the Dinos in Jurassic Park looked more reptilian and less bird-like because their DNA was combined with reptile and amphibian DNA strands. I also thought the original movie made it pretty clear that dinos had more in common with birds than another other current living organism. Also didn't one of the movies outright say that these weren't real dinosaurs but rather genetic abominations?

I understand why paleoartists are mad that this new film isn't reflecting our updated understanding of these creatures but when the fiction makes it pretty explicit that some heavy genetic tampering has taken place I don't think their criticisms are particularly valid. I can also think of reasons why the park administrators would want to engineer more "mainstream" looking dinos for their exhibits.

Why am I putting so much thought into this silly looking film?
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    They do look a bit funny with feathers.
    10867852.jpg
    The fact that the velociraptors are 6 feet tall still trumps any feathering concerns though.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    They wouldn't need to completely cover them either as the whole DNA splicing kinda covers discrepancies, but it would be nice to have them be more up to date. I like the way they did the raptors in Primeval new world

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwVCOPEkVAk"]Primeval: New World - Utahraptor - YouTube[/ame]
  • mazz423
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mazz423 polycounter lvl 9
    Personally I don't think feathers would have worked, let's try and keep dino's looking cool for a few more years.

And on top of that isn't there an issue just with the atmosphere alone? That dinosaurs now would essentially be asthmatic because they were around during a time when we had a high oxygenated atmosphere?
  • l.croxton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mazz423 wrote: »
    Personally I don't think feathers would have worked, let's try and keep dino's looking cool for a few more years.

And on top of that isn't there an issue just with the atmosphere alone? That dinosaurs now would essentially be asthmatic because they were around during a time when we had a high oxygenated atmosphere?

Having dinosaurs needing inhalers wouldn't have looked very cool either :poly124:
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    So I just caught this trailer for it:
    https://www.facebook.com/JurassicParkUK/videos/1630805677150813/

I am so done with this film - I was skeptical before, but this was retarded. What was with the implication that the new Rex was not only communicating with the Pterosaurs, but ordering them to do things?

Blerg.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Still looks like a solid summer action film to me :D
  • The Mad Artist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Mad Artist polycounter lvl 13
    ambershee wrote: »
    What was with the implication that the new Rex was not only communicating with the Pterosaurs, but ordering them to do things?

Blerg.

Ha, that made me want to see it more! So cheesy :D
  • Odow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    I'm going to go see it because it's freaking jurassic parc, but the more i see the more i'm disgust with it.

Tamed Raptors, Dinosaur communicating, the scientific girl look soooooo annoying and mainstream nice looking idiot who's going to be always all make up and beautiful hair even if it's the apocalypse, tones of guns that make it look like a war movie, dubstep, did i mention the tamed raptors ? because that a hole bunch of crap that ruined everything they mention in the older movie that they were the most intelligent species ever created on earth blablabla, and now freaking star lord can tame them ? guns and more army guys, seriously i don't want a war movie about dinosaur army fighting against human army. I want puny human running away and encountering new species. At least they put the annoying useless kid that are only there in other to flash their flashlight in the trex eyes and yell.
  • almighty_gir
  • Gnutmi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gnutmi polycounter lvl 10
    explain.jpeg

That is the reason I want to see the movie.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Odow wrote: »
    I'm going to go see it because it's freaking jurassic parc, but the more i see the more i'm disgust with it.

Tamed Raptors, Dinosaur communicating

Humans communicate with many different intelligent species already. Why is it so hard to believe that some species of dinosaurs would be able to as well? Just because they`re no longer around doesn't mean they were necessarily THAT different than today's animals.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    slipsius wrote: »
    Just because they`re no longer around doesn't mean they were necessarily THAT different than today's animals.

And there was also a precedent set for communicating with Velociraptors in the previous film. (Jurassic Park III) Training Velociraptors to play nicer with humans doesn't honestly seem like that much of a stretch. Conditioning is easier with more intelligent creatures. (faster learning)

And I'm a bit surprised at the scientific outrage surrounding these trailers. While the book series might have had sci-fi leanings, the film series never has. It's always been about crowd-pleasing popcorn spectacle. For the first film, it was expertly-crafted popcorn spectacle with a fantastic soundtrack, but let's not pretend these films aspired to more.

I have no objection to the dinosaur fans venting their spleen. They were never going to be happy with any of this, go ahead and let it out.
  • Fuiosg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    And I'm a bit surprised at the scientific outrage surrounding these trailers. While the book series might have had sci-fi leanings, the film series never has. It's always been about crowd-pleasing popcorn spectacle. For the first film, it was expertly-crafted popcorn spectacle with a fantastic soundtrack, but let's not pretend these films aspired to more.

I don't think you can group the first one with the others, that one did what the best sci-fi films always do, make you believe in an idea just enough to think it might be possible, then craft a great story around it. All JPs since have been schlocky popcorn flicks, and while 'jurassic park world' doesn't look particularly good, it at least seems to be embracing that.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg wrote: »
    All JPs since have been schlocky popcorn flicks, and while 'jurassic park world' doesn't look particularly good, it at least seems to be embracing that.

Granted. Let's face it, the T-Rex rampage in the second film was pure fan-service. It is very hard to defend the subsequent films.

Personally, I'm feeling rather "up" on Jurassic World. From what we've seen of it so far, it looks like the film makers are leaning into the potential fun and camp of the movie, no matter how ridiculous things get. I like that approach, and I think we could get a very entertaining film out of it. (if a horrendously inaccurate one)

I was also one of those people who didn't really mind the third Jurassic Park movie. It wasn't great, and didn't come close to the pinnacle of the original. But I still found it engaging and appreciated some of the elements from the first book that made their way into the movie. I'm planning on marathon-ing all three movies before I go and see Jurassic World in theater.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Ya, im not really sure why all the outrage with this one. It definitely looks way better than the 2nd and 3rd JPs put together. It's pretty much a reboot of the first, just with more dinosaurs and such. Yes, it wont have the same feel the first one did, in that ya, just enough to make it believable. But I`m definitely going to see it, and I can tell you already, I`m going to love the hell outta it.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    slipsius wrote: »
    Humans communicate with many different intelligent species already. Why is it so hard to believe that some species of dinosaurs would be able to as well? Just because they`re no longer around doesn't mean they were necessarily THAT different than today's animals.

..because humans and other species barely interact save for instances where we've adapted or even evolved to do so - for example domesticated cats. The amount of communication between species is minimal and it's taken tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands of years to get there. I don't know what a cat is actually vocalising to me, I just make assumptions. Cats, dogs and other pets may learn some responses to commands and associate them with a reward as learned behaviour, but it's not exactly reasonable to suggest they really understand us.

Can you imagine leaving an octopus with a bunch of flamingos for an afternoon, then coming back to find the flamingos subsequently taking orders from the octopus?

This isn't going to be a natural occurrence that developed millions of years ago either. The T-Rex is from the late cretaceous (65 million years ago), the Pterodactyl is from the late Jurassic (150 million years ago). We're closer to the T-Rex on the timeline than the Pterodactyl was.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Can you imagine leaving an octopus with a bunch of flamingos for an afternoon, then coming back to find the flamingos subsequently taking orders from the octopus?
    Screw Jurassic Park. I want to see that movie.
  • pangarang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pangarang polycounter lvl 11
    Ignoring the ridiculous prospect of dinosaurs rallying together and organizing an all out war against their human captors, the scale of the disaster established in the trailer is way too broad for a 90 minute movie to fully capture in any meaningful way.

Having said that, I'm still showing up at the premiere in my Chris Pratt cosplay get-up.
    </nerd>
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    Just saw it. a LOT better than I was expecting. 90% awesome, with a little cheesyness but nothing horrible. raptor stuff was pretty cool and not a cringe inducing disaster like I initially imagined and all the dinos were pretty awesome. TONS of nods to the original in terms of shots, easter eggs etc, but its all pretty subtle and for people who have seen the movies 20x, not bashing it over your head like most modern re-boots etc.

long story short....its entertaining as fuck. go see it.
  • Matt Fagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matt Fagan polycounter lvl 10
    Going to see it tonight with the lady :) Can't wait!!!
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    Just saw it. a LOT better than I was expecting. 90% awesome, with a little cheesyness but nothing horrible. raptor stuff was pretty cool and not a cringe inducing disaster like I initially imagined and all the dinos were pretty awesome. TONS of nods to the original in terms of shots, easter eggs etc, but its all pretty subtle and for people who have seen the movies 20x, not bashing it over your head like most modern re-boots etc.

long story short....its entertaining as fuck. go see it.

tumblr_inline_njnj6nOT9f1qap5kb.gif
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Yup, that movie was awesome. The product placement seemed pretty blatant at first, but it was a hell of a ride.
  • CreativeSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CreativeSheep polycounter lvl 8
    The reviews point at only 2.5/5 so it doesn't have the strongest hold compared to the original.
  • Matt Fagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nothing can ever compare to the original, and I alone wouldn't expect it to. But definitely was an awesome movie. Some cheesy comedy moments & character build up, if not much.. but the pacing doesn't keep the viewer waiting. Colin Trevorrow just keeps pushing you along for what comes next. Which I am glad the cool down moments didn't last too often.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    as amazing and gorgeous as mad max was, I think I actually had more fun sitting in my seat in this one. preparing for crucifixion :P
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    as amazing and gorgeous as mad max was, I think I actually had more fun sitting in my seat in this one. preparing for crucifixion :P

Booooo *throws rotten tomatoes*
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    Mad max .....amazing!!! Jurassic world ........amazing!!!! Terminator.......TBC hehe
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was pleasantly surprised by this entry. While it can't hope to live up to the example set by the original film, it easily outstrips the other two sequels that the series has had.

If you were hoping for a film that has the same swell and sense of majesty as the first Jurassic Park, look elsewhere. That's not what Jurassic World is trying to be. Jurassic World is a monster movie, first and foremost. And with that in mind, it succeeds admirably. The protagonists are likable, the villains are conflicted enough to be convincing, and entertaining to watch get eaten.

And most importantly, the monster works. The presentation of the film's primary antagonist is consistently effective. It feels like a genuine threat at all times, with more active antagonism than we generally see from the "animals" in the series. While we do get to see considerably more of this particular monster (always a risk) the film consistently provides shots of the beast from as low an angle as possible, making it seem larger and more intimidating.

The shout-outs to the original film were also considerably more understated and subtle than I was expecting. While they are plentiful, they are handled in a fashion that seems more respectful than pandering. I think the most glaring call back was in the film's general structure.

Also, what is it with this film franchise and the concept of divorce?! It seems to come up in every single film!

As a fan of monster movies, this one was right in my wheelhouse, and I was entertained from opening credits to closing. And while this was more of a popcorn flick, I would say it was considerably more solid in its structure than most films that fall into that category. I got the sense that there was real care and craft put into this outing, and would easily recommend it.
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    Gotta agree with Richard, I loved it a lot. Much much better than 2 and 3 combined. It was definitely not trying to be Jurassic Park and I think it worked, it was pretty ridiculous in parts, but it works because its a dinosaur movie. Very sound culture critic as well, product placement, boredom from dinos, etc.. felt like they made sense since its a theme park.

The military aspect/application of dinosaurs kinda felt weird to me, but really the only way to make the bad guys relevant.

@Richard: I think the divorce thing always comes up because kids are the main protagonists in these movies, and its a way to relate I guess.

If you enjoy the series, you'll like this. I was just hoping for a better film than 3 and it definitely delivered.
  • DarkShot Studios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarkShot Studios polycounter lvl 2
    Just watched this film also.
    I have to say that i thoroughly enjoyed this film. The pacing was great and had me holding my breath a couple of times from watching these dinos sniff them out. Definitely cannot compare to Jurassic Park; however it was trying to deliver something different to the franchise for our younger audience but also delivering a nostalgic factor to those of us who have followed the original. Overall i feel like this film was really successful and ithas people talking and kids excited and I believe this is what Jurassic World was aiming for.
  • Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    Saw it Saturday, I enjoyed it. But the whole thing felt a little flat and souless. Characters were just stereotypes, and none of them memorable, dialogue was dry and predictable. There were several lines that were clearly meant to be funny, but just didn't quite work.

I didn't hate this movie, it's basically exactly what I expected and what most people wanted, which is basically just the same thing again. But it's lacking any real passion.

The main kids in the movie spend a lot of time ignoring the dinosaurs, bored, looking at their cell phone, because in this world everyone is used to seeing dinosaurs. I couldn't help but feel the same way, it's just boring now. Wish they had taken a risk and changed the formula a little. Also,
    that end scene with the t-rex saving the day and then walking off like "My job here is done" was fucking corny.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    for the mediocre reviews it's getting, half a billion dollar opening weekend aint bad.... cant wait to see it.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Honestly, I think I would even put it above the original JP and Jaws movie.
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    I'd like to see the hour+ of "off camera events" that must have happened in the story. Other than some expected cheesiness, overall it lives up to it's history.

It also calls to a point of, "everyone asked if we could do it, nobody stopped to ask should we".

Worth a watch!
  • Paul Pepera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Pepera polycounter lvl 9
    I must have seen a different movie than you guys because I thought it was pretty terrible - but whatever, half a billion dollars in one weekend is very impressive so I guess they'll just keep making more.
  • CreativeSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll judge when it's on DVD. I don't have any spare time with so many projects to complete otherwise I may end up in a card board box, I may go there anyhow, well hopefully not.

Bad enough I have do daily errands.
  • Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah this one is pretty polarizing it seems like. I was amused enough while sitting there in the theater, but the more I think about this movie the more I dislike it. Meanwhile tons of people are giving it high praise, and I'm just dumbfounded. It's on par with the transformers movies for me, except with those most people I know are on the same page as me.
  • CreativeSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If Transformers didn't have the effects, it would be 2/10. The whole selling point of transformers was the effects. I'll exclude the first one.
  • Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If Transformers didn't have the effects, it would be 2/10. The whole selling point of transformers was the effects. I'll exclude the first one.
    I mean... alright? There are plenty of good movies that have effects too. I can't look past total lack of character development or a reasonable plot just because the dinosaur or robot looked nice. I see at nice looking CG all day long.
    That's what I'm doing here on polycount.

Mad Max: Fury Road is an effects laden movie but still has depth, character development, well thought out world, etc. Not every movie can be Mad Max, but shit, I'd settle for The Avengers 2. Wall to wall effects and crazy action, but there're at least attempts at decent character development or slightly bigger ideas. Or, at least signs that the people making the movie gave a shit. Maybe I'm being too hard on it but Jurassic World seemed like about as big of a heartless cash-in as it could be.

I'm not surprised it's making big money, I'm just surprised by how much some people seem to like it whose tastes usually align with mine. Maybe I'm missing something.
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    Shiniku wrote: »
    I mean... alright?

I'm not surprised it's making big money, I'm just surprised by how much some people seem to like it whose tastes usually align with mine. Maybe I'm missing something.

"I think"
    Everyones expectation was pathetically low after years being shelved and leaks that painted it horridly. I think people are just happy its watchable and not something like 'sharknado'.
  • Matt Fagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll admit, jW was terrible as terrible can be about certain things. Like character development through the arc of the story...(what story?)...

I think the film is awesome in terms it finally delivered itself after all these years, and didn't try to pull a jurassic park 3 on us. Some may say differently, but that 3rd in the series was atrocious to alan grant and again, has to do with a kid for him...Whereas the lost world was more of an inside look behind the makings of what the first park had to be about and Ian Malcom's philosophy of life finding a way to exist. Though now in the most expected of places.

Jurassic world does do well in terms of giving the audience a look at how the park could go down with a large attraction attending it. Which is nice to see rather than imagine after all these years what would have been of the first jurassic park. But to give the shallow character driven narrative movie credit, the movie is entertaining like a video game full of sequences that keep the viewer on the edge for the wonder of what comes next. I just think if Colin Treverrow did add a proper story within his thrill ride. JW would've been an achievement, beyond its box office sales.