Home General Discussion

Final Fantasy VII remake confirmed

Replies

• GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    I understand its historic importance as a major game for a lot of people, but the Buster Sword is still the frakking stupidest thing I've ever seen and I'm less than thrilled an entire new generation will now glamorize it.
  • Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    I enjoyed FFVII when it came out but I'm just not pumped at all for this. The trailer was cool, but I don't need to play this again. Never understood why people have been clamoring for a remake for so long. But I'm happy for those of you who were.
  • ChaosWWW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ChaosWWW polycounter lvl 6
    @Shiniku: Well, as someone who hasn't played the original game, I'm hyped for this. I kinda wanted to know what all the fuss was about with this game, but not really enough to play a dated almost 20 year old game. With this, I'll have a chance to experience what people liked so much about the old game with a shiny new coat of paint. I'm sure people who played the original game would also just like a chance to re-experience it in a new way.

That being said, we don't really know anything about this game outside that it's being made. They might make it completely different from the original and piss everyone off.
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    The main reason why I'm happy about this is because a financially successful remake of FFVII leaves a very small possibility of FFIX remake happening.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    To be fair, Final Fantasy VII is one of the titles in the series most in need of a remake. Of all the main-series Final Fantasy games, VII is likely the most inherently flawed. It was originally targeting the N64, and had its development shifted over to the Playstation halfway through. The original game is littered with artistic inconsistency, confusing translation errors, and is mechanically weak.

Going back to the drawing board and rebuilding FFVII from the ground up could considerably improve on the original game. My only fear is that they will insist on adhering too closely to the original game. Final Fantasy VII needs a revision and an overhaul, not a straight graphical port.
  • DireWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hope they'll keep the human proportions the same way as original. Those low poly characters... so charming.

Not the realistic scale please.
  • Fuiosg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    It will be interesting to see, but we don't need the guy who directed Advent Children heading it up. I really wish Nomura would just screw off.
  • Mstankow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mstankow polycounter lvl 11
    I am worried that the game with be more of a reimagining like "new modern gameplay!" instead of taking the original game and uprezzing it.

I don't trust Tetsuya Nomura one bit.

Need to see some gameplay before I get excited (or really nerd upset.)
  • Equanim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Equanim polycounter lvl 11
    I don't think younger fans realize how much FFVII influenced game art, especially eastern art. The proportions were because the characters were tiny on screens, which were basically 800 x 600 at the time. FFVII was basically emo before emo was recognized, did giant weapons when it was still an origonal design choice, and the backgrounds were nearly all pre-rendered. Cinematics were considered a reward at the time and the only the N64 controller had a stick, no one had force feedback yet. (Star Fox 64 would be released the next summer.)

...now get off of my lawn!!!
  • Kitty|Owl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kitty|Owl polycounter lvl 3
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetsuya_Nomura

well, I dont know he seems to have a lot of experience, and advent children was only his second outing as a director after kingdom hearts (his first for a film).

kingdom hearts seems to have been his baby, and everyone has hit and misses. heres hoping that he has learned from past mistakes and has a solid team of people passionate about the game around him to help.

I'm not going to worry personally until I see more.
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    I kind of think it would be cool if it were prerendered backgrounds. Imagine how insane they would be haha
  • Kitty|Owl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wonder how many discs it will come on... the size of the game was epic, hope they take their time on remaking it instead of rushing for a set release date... HD chocobo racing, airship flying, submarine, dolphin riding, dress wearing, gym working out, dog disguising, ATV driving, motorbike fighting, flower crushing, spaceship riding, war fighting... If they really hit the scope of the game then It'll be every christmas ever.
  • xrg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xrg polycounter lvl 10
    I'll probably check it out. I actually just replayed the PSX version only 2 months ago to see if my opinion on it has changed at all. I've always found it to be a fairly average jRPG.

Perhaps the remake will click with me a bit better than the original ever did.
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    I sincerely wonder what "remake" means in the context of a game like FF7. If they take the FF7 mechanics and slap realistic renditions of the character on top, it will be seen as a lazy effort ... but if they dare change anything, fans will be pissed. Tough spot to be in !
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    Excited about this but man, I cannot imagine what the dev cycle is going to be. I'm trying to not get too hyped for this as I don't see it being in our hands for another 3 years at least. I could be wrong, but I'll hold back my excitement (as much as possible) until we get some more concrete details in the future. SE has their conference today, so maybe we'll find out more then.
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    GarageBay9 wrote: »
    incomprehensible heathen babbling about the bustersword

boy, ah say boy, I am high on FF7 right now I will not let this slide.

It's unreasonable weight is explained in the plot of the game. It mirrors the antagonist of the game. It looks badass. The buster sword is a godamn icon and you will watch your mouth in this thread.
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    fearian wrote: »
    boy, ah say boy, I am high on FF7 right now I will not let this slide.

It looks badass.

It looks ridiculous. That thing isn't a sword, it's a sharpened chunk of skyscraper framing.

It has also given rise to years worth of obsessed neckbeards who pester blacksmiths to make a replica of it, and then get embarrassingly indignant and adversarial when they're told it's stupid and completely infeasible.

Those of us who hammer steel for a hobby and had to put up with that harassment were relieved when it had more or less faded out of pop culture... and now it's back. :poly141:

/saw a particularly sad JRPG zealot get kicked out of a friend's forge during public hours, for going apeshit and screaming over it
  • SonicBlue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SonicBlue polycounter lvl 10
    To be fair, Final Fantasy VII is one of the titles in the series most in need of a remake. Of all the main-series Final Fantasy games, VII is likely the most inherently flawed. It was originally targeting the N64, and had its development shifted over to the Playstation halfway through. The original game is littered with artistic inconsistency, confusing translation errors, and is mechanically weak.

I doubt they even started working the N64. You can't start programming for the N64 hardware and then port the project over to the PSX like that.
  • Fuiosg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    It looks ridiculous. That thing isn't a sword, it's a sharpened chunk of skyscraper framing.

You're really going to love FF15 then.

tumblr_moa3zpE1ib1r5rrmwo5_250.gif~original
  • soulstice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    soulstice polycounter lvl 9
    Damn how many childhood memories are going to come back to life. :)
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master

It has also given rise to years worth of obsessed neckbeards who pester blacksmiths to make a replica of it, and then get embarrassingly indignant and adversarial when they're told it's stupid and completely infeasible.

Those of us who hammer steel for a hobby and had to put up with that harassment were relieved when it had more or less faded out of pop culture... and now it's back. :poly141:

/saw a particularly sad JRPG zealot get kicked out of a friend's forge during public hours, for going apeshit and screaming over it

yep...

because in a fictional world where people can throw lightning from their hands, summon giant monsters to fight for them, where there are colossal mechanised weapons created by the world itself living at the core of a world floating in a substance called the lifestream... a thing made up of all of the lifeforce of the world including the people in it.

we're going to be pissed that a dude swings a massive slab of metal and calls it a sword.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    I'm interested in seeing what their dev team does to assert itself with the remake. I'd be super interested if it's a literal gameplay overhaul.
  • Kitty|Owl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well with confirmation today that the PSX port is still on its way to PS4 I reckon they will be re-imagining the game. although we wont know anymore until winter,

edit: cant have 2 imagines that close to each other.
  • Mstankow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would be very upset if it were a gameplay overhaul. The newer Final Fantasies aren't really known for good gameplay and often have cut things that made the older games cooler. I'll be a sad man if they announce the game will play like Final Fantasy XIII or XV.
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Equanim wrote: »
    FFVII was basically emo before emo was recognized

That's actually not really true about the original game. I used to think that too, but this whole dark and emo thing is something that came with Advent Children and FFVII spin offs. Cloud in the original game was actually a pretty upbeat guy and he was more of a cocky hothead, than someone moping in the corner.
  • Fuiosg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    yeah they're confusing that with FF8, that's when the emo stuff began.
  • xrg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xrg polycounter lvl 10
    Zack is upbeat and cocky, not Cloud. About 75% of the game Cloud thinks he is Zack though.

Sephiroth is about as emo as you can get however.
  • Mstankow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    One of my favorite things about FFVII is the fact that Cloud is a fraud.
  • Mant1k0re
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mant1k0re polycounter lvl 8
    As long as they don't go ahead and announce we'll get TURN-BASED combat, I won't allow myself to believe the miracle is happening.
  • Zephiris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zephiris polygon
    I'm really hyped for this! This game was my childhood :)

Can't wait to see all the epic stuff remastered, especially anything around Nibelheim :)

And then there's...
    11355280_1621698061379046_1406161633_n.jpg
    and
    O8Aipqd.jpg
  • Needles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Needles polycounter lvl 19
    I CANT WAIT!!!!!!
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SonicBlue wrote: »
    I doubt they even started working the N64. You can't start programming for the N64 hardware and then port the project over to the PSX like that.

They had a running demo at one of Nintendo's conferences back in the day. So yes, yes you can. in fact, the super-deformed versions of the characters that get used throughout the game are probably a hold-over from that earlier work. This is also likely why multiple stylistic "versions" of the characters show up in the cut-scenes. (instead of having one consistent style)

FFVII was honestly a bit of a mess. It's remembered fondly (even by me) for being one of the first JRPGs that a lot of people played. But it could very much use some serious spit and polish after all these years. A version of the game that has been refined would be more palatable to me, as opposed to a pure graphical upgrade.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Mstankow wrote: »
    One of my favorite things about FFVII is the fact that Cloud is a fraud.

This is where the whole "emo" thing comes from. About 2/3 into the game he figures out his whole life has been a lie, his ego collapses, and he gets genuinely depressed.

Who wouldn't?

But up until that point he was a cocky, super badass.
  • Equanim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Equanim polycounter lvl 11
    Has anyone played any of the mobile remakes? How were those compared to the origonals?

Looking at other remakes like Resident Evil, I think the best route they could take would be to make "newer" features like voice acting optional to satisfy new players and those playing for nostalgia.
  • SonicBlue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    *PREDICTIONS*

\Action/Cinematic oriented/

When the cutscene ends, you'll be dragged in real time battle, the other characters move autonomously (yep, AI), launching magic spells and stuff, making the battle a lot confusing. You're pressing the X button to attack some random SOLDIER that have being targeted automatically, since it's the nearest enemy even though you wanted to attack another one, but you can't chose which one since the camera keep focusing on that damn enemy and the goofy movements of Cloud holding the Buster Sword aren't helping you orientating.

The battle will proceed for something like 20 seconds, and you seem to be winning easily, BUT!, you didn't noticed that your HPs are near zero, because an enemy, out of your visuals, is throwing some fire magic, and you thought that the spell was from one of your party members, because you don't have control over them, so you continue pressing X ferociously, till you die, but no problem, your AI friends will help you.

When you remembered that because of the limited battle item slot, you where the one with the Phoenix Downs, GAME OVER.

They had a running demo at one of Nintendo's conferences back in the day. So yes, yes you can. in fact, the super-deformed versions of the characters that get used throughout the game are probably a hold-over from that earlier work. This is also likely why multiple stylistic "versions" of the characters show up in the cut-scenes. (instead of having one consistent style)

FFVII was honestly a bit of a mess. It's remembered fondly (even by me) for being one of the first JRPGs that a lot of people played. But it could very much use some serious spit and polish after all these years. A version of the game that has been refined would be more palatable to me, as opposed to a pure graphical upgrade.

If you mean this:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPO7c_XmesU[/ame]

No, it was running on a SGI machine, and if you watched it till the end it's called Final Fantasy VI: The interactive CG Game.

I think you can find this video in one of those Square demo CD for PlayStation, like the one with the demo video of Final Fantasy VIII with Rinoa and Leviathan.

And anyway, they are different architectures, you can't do that, the code inside the game is specifically built for the PSX just think that the files have to be read or streamed from the CD-ROM. not to mention how the PSX SPU works, the GPU, the GTE, etc.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    Honestly, there is no need to speculate. Just look at the other FF remakes, and that will inform how FF7 will be remade, imo.

I'm so excited for this, really interested in how they'll handle the world map portion, since they haven't had one since the PS1 in a main FF game.
  • SonicBlue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The remakes they did previously where not that different from the originals, only FFIII and IV got a proper 3D remake, but you can consider them to be classics.

If you look at Crisis Core, the FFVII prequel for the PSP, they did the game action oriented, with zero exploration and mission based. So I except them to do the same with this, and seeing how they evolved the battle system starting from FFXII to be more action.
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is where the whole "emo" thing comes from. About 2/3 into the game he figures out his whole life has been a lie, his ego collapses, and he gets genuinely depressed.

Who wouldn't?

But up until that point he was a cocky, super badass.

Even then, he gets over it pretty quickly and from that point on Cloud is all about friendship and sunshine.

His personality really took a 180 once Nomura took over. Seeing that he's the director, I'm wondering if they're going to reimagine VII to be more in lines with Advent Children. I hope not, because that quirkiness of the Sakaguchi-era Final Fantasy games is something I really miss.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SonicBlue wrote: »
    No, it was running on a SGI machine, and if you watched it till the end it's called Final Fantasy VI: The interactive CG Game.

I think you can find this video in one of those Square demo CD for PlayStation, like the one with the demo video of Final Fantasy VIII with Rinoa and Leviathan.

And anyway, they are different architectures, you can't do that, the code inside the game is specifically built for the PSX just think that the files have to be read or streamed from the CD-ROM. not to mention how the PSX SPU works, the GPU, the GTE, etc.

Final Fantasy VII: Wikipedia

Development for Final Fantasy VII began for the Super Nintendo, was later shifted to the N64, and was finally shifted over to the Playstation in 1996. A significant number of art assets for the game were produced before it was re-targeted to the Playstation. Given how many pre-rendered cinematics, 3D models, and pre-rendered background images the game contains, it's not really that surprising. While most low-level functions for the game would have to be re-done for different hardware, the art assets could be relatively easily ported between platforms.

The 3D demo I was referring to featured 3D versions of Final Fantasy VI characters, but was a test-bed for active Final Fantasy VII development.
  • SonicBlue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Final Fantasy VII: Wikipedia

Development for Final Fantasy VII began for the Super Nintendo, was later shifted to the N64, and was finally shifted over to the Playstation in 1996. A significant number of art assets for the game were produced before it was re-targeted to the Playstation. Given how many pre-rendered cinematics, 3D models, and pre-rendered background images the game contains, it's not really that surprising. While most low-level functions for the game would have to be re-done for different hardware, the art assets could be relatively easily ported between platforms.

The 3D demo I was referring to featured 3D versions of Final Fantasy VI characters, but was a test-bed for active Final Fantasy VII development.

That's the video I posted earlier, it wasn't running on N64 hardware though.

I think that around August 1995 (when SIGGRAPH took place) they realized that their project wasn't possible to accomplish on the 8MB cartridge limit of the N64 and decided to start the real development (not the pre production, with drawings, scenario planning, etc), on the PSX. A demo of Final Fantasy VII was released on August 1996 inside Tobal No.1:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELYJKkFTPNk[/ame]

Is it highly possible that they where not targeting a specific system while building the first assets.

There are no screenshots of a N64 version, but there are some pre release videos on the PSX, with release date 12 of December 1996.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The original target platform for the game was the CD-Rom add-on for the Super Nintendo. They only switched it over to targeting the N64 after the fall-out between Sony and Nintendo over that planned expansion. Of course, Sony would then take the prototype they were working on and redesign it as the original Playstation.

While they were originally planning a N64 target for the game, their aspirations for the title were a better fit for the CD-Rom medium. (which they had originally believed they would be targeting anyway)

However, the "Chibi" art-style used in many of the pre-rendered cut-scenes, as well as some of the lower-polycount in-game models, are very reminiscent of the style used for 16-bit sprites, and were likely affected by the original much more humble hardware specs the game started out targeting. (the pre-rendered chibi-art was likely used to emulate the lower-polycount characters) Once a more robust 3D platform became the target, many of the game's elements reflected the change in technology. (higher-polycount battle models, more texturing, and more detailed pre-rendered models to reflect this)

The next game in the series, Final Fantasy VIII, was built targeting the PS1 from the ground up, and had a much more cohesive and consistent visual presentation across all its various elements.

Basically, Final Fantasy VII was a bit of a mess, in more ways than one. This is why I have no issue with a re-make, so long as they alter more than just the graphics. Final Fantasy VII is badly in need of a complete overhaul and tuning.
  • DireWolf
  • babaxter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    To explain how the "N64 version" could be stopped halfway and "ported" to the PSX version - the PSX WAS the N64 before the N64 became the N64. Nintendo backed out of the design which was a partnership between them and Philips, so Philips went to Sony instead to compete head to head. In all this mess, somehow SE ended up being the flagship for the PSX - perhaps because they were already heavily invested.

What I would like out of a re-make is one alteration. Open the story up at the end so there is a possibility of direct spin-offs (I love the materia system). And it wouldn't bother me that Aerith has a "ressurrection" side-story. The original game had Aerith assets well after her death - it seemed as if they were going to let you bring her back, but left that hanging (in a sloppy way, I must add).

The one fear I have is that SE has had a tendency to let Directors do whatever they want, instead of making them respect the franchise. That's why we got dud-bombs like FFX - where they actually came up with the bright idea to get rid of the summon monsters and make FF more like FF Tactics. If they follw suit FFVII remake will play more like Kingdom Hearts - and while I love kingdome Hearts I don't buy FF to play KH - I buy FF to play FF...
  • ikken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

please enjoy gears of war and leave this thread kthxbye

also not excited for this, ff7 was iconic for its time, and I would love to see FFVI or FFIX reconstructed in today's CGI, preferably as a FMV, rather than a game tbh.
  • SonicBlue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The original target platform for the game was the CD-Rom add-on for the Super Nintendo. They only switched it over to targeting the N64 after the fall-out between Sony and Nintendo over that planned expansion. Of course, Sony would then take the prototype they were working on and redesign it as the original Playstation.

While they were originally planning a N64 target for the game, their aspirations for the title were a better fit for the CD-Rom medium. (which they had originally believed they would be targeting anyway)

However, the "Chibi" art-style used in many of the pre-rendered cut-scenes, as well as some of the lower-polycount in-game models, are very reminiscent of the style used for 16-bit sprites, and were likely affected by the original much more humble hardware specs the game started out targeting. (the pre-rendered chibi-art was likely used to emulate the lower-polycount characters) Once a more robust 3D platform became the target, many of the game's elements reflected the change in technology. (higher-polycount battle models, more texturing, and more detailed pre-rendered models to reflect this)

The next game in the series, Final Fantasy VIII, was built targeting the PS1 from the ground up, and had a much more cohesive and consistent visual presentation across all its various elements.

Basically, Final Fantasy VII was a bit of a mess, in more ways than one. This is why I have no issue with a re-make, so long as they alter more than just the graphics. Final Fantasy VII is badly in need of a complete overhaul and tuning.

We will never know precisely how that went, until we ask them directly.

This is an interesting article:
    http://xenon.stanford.edu/~geksiong/papers/sts145/Squaresoft%20and%20FF7.htm

Seems that the FMV were made by Square USA, some of the production of FFIX will be made by the same studio years later.

Now I'm going to read this: http://thelifestream.net/ffvii-the-original/final-fantasy-vii-the-unused-text-series/
  • drizs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    drizs polycounter lvl 17
    I just need to vent my frustration.

Tetsuyo Nomura does not have the skills or the sensibilities to pull this off. Sakaguchi is the only one who should ever be trusted with a remake. Period. This will be utter shite. Look at Advent Children. Just take a look at that movie and tell me it's a good movie, let alone a good FFVII.

Bah!
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yJ4DG6gu3A[/ame]

For people complaining swords aren't realistic, unfeasible etc etc. (he's a fellow Irishman so can't say no despite his cheesiness)

The guy above is one of many 'blacksmiths' who make a living out of giant swords. You will recognise a few he's using. I've got a dozen bokken on my wall & used to have a full size buster sword made in oak. Functional buster sword? no, cracked it in half during sparring bout, 3 months of work dead. Worth it? Without a shadow of doubt.

Call me Hyped.
  • Fuiosg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    drizs wrote: »
    Tetsuyo Nomura does not have the skills or the sensibilities to pull this off. Sakaguchi is the only one who should ever be trusted with a remake. Period. This will be utter shite. Look at Advent Children. Just take a look at that movie and tell me it's a good movie, let alone a good FFVII.

Yep. Nor am I expecting Nomura to swallow his ego and do what's best for the game. Cloud and company will probably be strolling around the slums with meticulous hair and tailored clothing from some italian designer. I'm not sure why they give this guy free reign to do whatever he wants, he's completely inept in terms of narrative ability and not to mention revisionist.
  • Mstankow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just read that the gameplay will infact be "reimagined".
    That means time to be worried until extensive gameplay videos are released.
    Also taking bets on content being cut. And/or at least 1 dungeon becoming an FMV cut scene.
  • Fenyce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fenyce polycounter lvl 11
    I'm hyped. Mostly because the environment in the Teaser looked AWESOME. I always loved Midgard.. can't wait to run around there again! I hope it will be a little bigger then before. Beside that.. yeah, Cloud is emo, but he has his reasons, I guess. His mother dying in flames, due to his childhood hero... His best friend shot infront of his eyes with... Poor overkilled Zack. Ah... he's giong to make me cry again! Haha.

I hope it's going to be really atmospheric, but the teaser looked good to far, the mood due to light and color was amazing. And... Cloud dressed as a girl in HD?! Thumbs up.