Home General Discussion

Dark Souls 3

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
Surprising absolutely no one, Dark Souls 3 is a thing now.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OtAVElUljE[/ame]

Welp, time to get my wallet.

Replies

• Blond
    Offline / Send Message
    Blond polycounter lvl 9
    argh too much of these already....
  • Shiniku
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    I'm excited! That trailer didn't get me pumped the way some of their others have, though.

Looks like the might be diving more into the storyline with the giants we saw in DkSII?

Also.. there can never be too many games like these for me.
  • Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Excitement rising..... XO
  • PixelMasher
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    Im a convert, went from thinking the souls series was ugly and too Japanese to powering through for a bit and now they are like crack. looking forward to it
  • rebb
    Offline / Send Message
    rebb polycounter lvl 17
  • moof
    Offline / Send Message
    moof polycounter lvl 7
  • NegevPro
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    Looks great, I hope the PC version will have fewer launch issues this time around but this is a day one purchase for sure.
  • soulstice
    Offline / Send Message
    soulstice polycounter lvl 9
    the music gives me goosebumps!
  • Kurt Russell Fan Club
    Offline / Send Message
    Kurt Russell Fan Club polycounter lvl 9
    Please be more like all the games except Dark Souls 2...
  • Cibo
    Offline / Send Message
    Cibo polycounter lvl 10
    I like Dark Souls but i hope they make real progress and not only a few Bossfights without recycled animations. I hope the world become less static in terms of enemy placement (patrols) and more (undead :poly124: ) Humans for trading and decision making. Maybe human village that turns slowly undead etc. ... .
    All great events are lore and you see years later often only tghe results.
  • GrevSev
    Offline / Send Message
    GrevSev polycounter lvl 9
    Just need them bloodborne movement mechanics and more scythes then I'm set
  • splaygame
  • Nox
    Offline / Send Message
    Nox polycounter lvl 5
    Hope for proper coop mode.
  • Shiniku
    Offline / Send Message
    Please be more like all the games except Dark Souls 2...

It probably will be, it was rumored that Hidetaka Miyazaki will be the game director on this one again. He made Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, and Bloodborne, but wasn't the director on Dark Souls 2.

I love Dark Souls 2 but I'm glad Miyazaki is back.
  • Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Loved DS2 as well but DS1 was probably my favorite. Hopefully this dominates them all :D
  • JimmyRustler
    Offline / Send Message
    JimmyRustler polycounter lvl 8
    Loved DS 2 too, It wasn't that bad. Scholar of the First Sin update makes the game so much better than the default one.
    But of course, DS 1 is pretty much the best thing i ever experienced.

Seeing that this is the last entry of souls series, and Miyazaki had his hand on this one, hopefully this will be a masterpiece just like the first one.
  • DanglinBob
    DS2 had better combat mechanics. DS1 had the better story/world. I echo the hope that 3 is the best of both worlds (and not the worse of both, lol).
  • MmAaXx
    Offline / Send Message
    MmAaXx polycounter lvl 10
    I worked on this game/trailer :)
  • moof
    Offline / Send Message
    moof polycounter lvl 7
    MmAaXx wrote: »

its purty :D
  • Skinpop
    Offline / Send Message
    Skinpop polycounter lvl 9

do you work at from software?
  • teaandcigarettes
    Offline / Send Message
    DanglinBob wrote: »
    DS2 had better combat mechanics. DS1 had the better story/world. I echo the hope that 3 is the best of both worlds (and not the worse of both, lol).

Hmm, I can't really agree. While DS2 had some nice ease-of-use additions, the combat in DS2 was less snappy than in DS1. The movement felt somewhat sluggish. The manual targeting of heavy weapons made them kind of useless. And tying Adaptability to timings and i-frames was a really odd choice. I realize this is subjective, but to me Bloodborne felt like a natural evolution of DS1 combat, whereas DS2 felt more like a step in a different direction.

MmAaXx:
    Looks great :) Congrats. You guys are my heroes.
  • Shiniku
    Offline / Send Message
    I think where Dark Souls II shined was the sheer amount of content. All the different armor sets, weapons, rings, items, areas, etc. All of that made PvP much more interesting for me just because of the wide variety of different builds you would see. Meanwhile, the level design and story elements definitely suffered compared to Dark Souls or Bloodborne.

I love to admire the attention to detail put into the levels in Bloodborne, but I have to admit sometimes more is better when it comes to keeping me playing. I think DkS and BB are better games, but I've played DkSII waaay more.

Hope this third installment strikes a good balance.
  • MmAaXx
    Offline / Send Message
    Skinpop wrote: »
    do you work at from software?

Yes I do, I'm senior character artist.
  • Skinpop
    Offline / Send Message
    Skinpop polycounter lvl 9
    Yes I do, I'm senior character artist.
    well thats awesome
    would like to see a fat art dump some day :poly124:
  • MmAaXx
    Offline / Send Message
    Skinpop wrote: »
    well thats awesome
    would like to see a fat art dump some day :poly124:

sure ;)
  • teaandcigarettes
    Offline / Send Message
    [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XwhYVzN_a0[/ame]

Finally, we got some gameplay. From the looks of it, it's everything I wanted. Speed and intensity of Bloodborne, with mood of Dark Souls 1/Demon's Souls. Can't wait for more info.
  • Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Killed in the end, but the bolt thrower had my back!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vimDkvaAvZY
  • moose
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    3 is soooooo so good!!

Think they went a litttttle overboard with iframes, where as DS2 was too strict with them. PvP isn't much fun when everyone just rolls around. Loving the art, the game is gorgeous and just as rewarding & fun as ever :)
  • TheMadArtist
    Offline / Send Message
    TheMadArtist polycounter lvl 12
    I've been loving it so far. Right at the Abyss Watchers now, so things are starting to ramp up in difficulty, but it certainly is a great game. This is actually my first proper Souls game, the only thing I had played previously to completion was Bloodborne. 
  • moose
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    at The Nameless King.... ho boy. Fun stuff, just brutal.

Almost done, just need to wrap up that boss, get the last few covenants i missed and move to NG+. 
  • Anchang-Style
    Offline / Send Message
    Anchang-Style polycounter lvl 7
    Have you guys experienced cheaters so far? Depending on where you read it's either no problem at all or game breaking (especially with how FROM handles cheaters and people who's savegames got altered by fighting a cheating char in PVP). Would love to play it but ATM too busy.
  • Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    moose said:
    at The Nameless King.... ho boy. Fun stuff, just brutal.

Yup, the neighbour's kids have learned some colorful new swear words....
  • JacqueChoi
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    MmAaXx said:
    You are amazing!

Please post some of the art you made for this game, It's one of my favourite games ever!

• JacqueChoi
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Beat the Abyss Watchers..

Level 78 Pyro
    There's a really awesome grinding area I discovered right behind the Keep Ruins bonfire.
    I can kill all 3 of those leaping knight dudes with 2 Fire Orbs, for 1000 souls in 5 seconds.

But, If you walk out to the bridge, you can kill those Giant swamp monster thingies from the bridge for 1700 a pop.  Over 6500 souls in under a minute before needing to refresh at the bonfire.

• Tits
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    I had never played any souls game since the very first demon souls (i had a japanese version imported!) which I stopped after 2 guys used exploit to invade my game and destroyed all my equipement twice so that I had to start new characters all over again.
    I was a HUGE fan of bloodborne which I played a little too much (oops!)
    so far really enjoying DS III
  • Marshkin
    Offline / Send Message
    Marshkin polycounter lvl 9
    Loving this game so far! I'm going through it pretty slowly since I'm farming ember at each boss so I can coop a little more. Just finished farming the tree boss and I think it's time to move on. 

What class are you guys playing? I'm going strength/Dex build wielding long swords. 

No cheaters yet but I've started to back up my saves just in case. 
  • AtticusMars
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    Beat the Abyss Watchers..

Level 78 Pyro
    There's a really awesome grinding area I discovered right behind the Keep Ruins bonfire.
    I can kill all 3 of those leaping knight dudes with 2 Fire Orbs, for 1000 souls in 5 seconds.

But, If you walk out to the bridge, you can kill those Giant swamp monster thingies from the bridge for 1700 a pop.  Over 6500 souls in under a minute before needing to refresh at the bonfire.
    You're 78 at the Abyss Watchers?? I'm 78 and I'm at the last boss... I've been looking for a decent place to grind, hope this works as well for melee. How long did it take you to get to 78?
  • Tits
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    Jacque is Insane,
    I'm 61 and I just finished the Abyss watcher, I'm just real slow
  • BlakeP
    Dark Souls 3 completes the epic trilogy in the best way possible. It manages to be fresh and simultaneously so familiar. So, embrace the darkness and when you emerge victorious you can proudly shout to the heavens: Praise the Sun!
  • moose
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    haha yeah, i think i was 32 at abyss watchers? am 100 now, Archives has some goooood farming.
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    i just got the game yesterday and it's the first time i've wanted to really play the game (honestly i didn't find the first one fun and it put me off the series). it's handing my ass to me and i love it haha.
  • JacqueChoi
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    The spellcaster breakpoints are really messed up.

You're basically gimped for most of the start of the game. Taking  2 or 3 spells to take down even the most basic mob, with a 3 second casting time (everything kills you in 1-2 hit).

Apparently for a Pyro:
    40 Intelligence /17 Faith

will do less damage than:
     20 Intelligence/18 Faith

But for Pyros you need to get it to 30/30 min to actually kill most basic mobs in 1 spellcast.
    (which means you're pretty useless until you're at least  level 60).

Sorcs need 50 Intelligence to do DS1 level damage. Doesn't leave a lot of room to hybrid-build, unless you want to fat-roll.

>_< 
  • Greg DAlessandro
    Offline / Send Message
    Greg DAlessandro polycounter lvl 6
    The spellcaster breakpoints are really messed up.

You're basically gimped for most of the start of the game. Taking  2 or 3 spells to take down even the most basic mob, with a 3 second casting time (everything kills you in 1-2 hit).

Apparently for a Pyro:
    40 Intelligence /17 Faith

will do less damage than:
     20 Intelligence/18 Faith

But for Pyros you need to get it to 30/30 min to actually kill most basic mobs in 1 spellcast.
    (which means you're pretty useless until you're at least  level 60).

Sorcs need 50 Intelligence to do DS1 level damage. Doesn't leave a lot of room to hybrid-build, unless you want to fat-roll.

>_< 
    even with rings that shorten cast time/other sorc rings?
  • dieselJunk
    Offline / Send Message
    dieselJunk polycounter lvl 3
      The level of detail in the environmental geometry seems a bit mad to me, individually modeled roof tiles and paving stones and things. It looks beautiful, although the LoDs and and distant graphics can look a bit wonky (even unfinished for some of the vistas), more than either DSII and of course Dark Souls.

I've heard a lot of complaints about the 'novelty' bosses but to be honest they've all been (bar one optional one) so impressive visually & in atmosphere that I don't mind. Personally I loved the Yhorm fight, just with they'd nerf the damage of [spoiler] to make it a little more challenging.
  • teaandcigarettes
    Offline / Send Message
    Phew, I've been a bit busy since the game came out so I'm way behind everyone else, but I think I'm getting close to the end of it. It's a good game, but I had a really mixed relationship with it. Perhaps I'm a bit spoiled by Bloodborne, but DS3 just doesn't seem to maintain the same level of quality throughout the whole game. Some areas easily match the standard set by Bloodborne, but others just feel somewhat bland, empty and unpolished. Just as Dieseljunk says, there is some mind blowing art in there, with insane amount of geometrical details. Then there are places that have empty rooms, with no light source a ceiling with no texture on it and flat walls everywhere. Very jarring and really took me out of the game more than a few times.

In some weird way, I came out of it with more appreciation for what Bloodborne had managed to achieve in terms of polish and consistency. Still, I will probably need to play it a few more times before I make up my mind about it. Although for now, I can safely say that none of the bosses I fought so far are as impressive as Bloodborne's bosses. That roster is simply in a different league.

• throttlekitty
      The level of detail in the environmental geometry seems a bit mad to me, individually modeled roof tiles and paving stones and things. It looks beautiful, although the LoDs and and distant graphics can look a bit wonky (even unfinished for some of the vistas), more than either DSII and of course Dark Souls.

I've heard a lot of complaints about the 'novelty' bosses but to be honest they've all been (bar one optional one) so impressive visually & in atmosphere that I don't mind. Personally I loved the Yhorm fight, just with they'd nerf the damage of [spoiler] to make it a little more challenging.
    Oh wow the environments are amazing for geo detail, I'd really like to see some breakdowns!

My favorite fight was Dancer of the Boreal Valley. I think I died more to her than anything just to watch, and the music was amazing!

@teaandcigarettes, I can't say I've seen much of that, at least to knock me out, could be a portaling thing to keep performance up? In some areas I see orange flashes when the culling can't quite keep up with camera movements.
  • Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    I was hoping Smough and Ornstein would make a triumphant return, somehow :smiley:
    Had a fairly easy time with all the bosses, only one that's really giving me trouble is Nameless King - definitely toughest boss battle in the game!  
  • teaandcigarettes
    Offline / Send Message
    @teaandcigarettes, I can't say I've seen much of that, at least to knock me out, could be a portaling thing to keep performance up? In some areas I see orange flashes when the culling can't quite keep up with camera movements.

Perhaps, although those spots are in such random areas that I assume they just weren't finished to the same level of polish on time. It's not really just lack of enviornment details, but overall dips in quality.

To name a few from the top of my head; the room next to the dead giants in Irithyll after beating Pontiff, the room with Farron covenant, the room with Wolnir's chalice in the catacombs (the ceiling is just a flat black plane and there are some grey untextured objects in the area).  Lost Izalith which suffers from extremely repeated environment details and confusing layout, tilling patterns on the walls surrounding Farron's Keep, strange cubemaps/fresnel in Irithyll interiors, etc, heavy LOD switching on trees in the swamps, etc.

Then there are some odd mechanical issues that haven't been resolved yet; mainly the non-functioning Poise stat that makes heavy armors and vitality somewhat useless. Covenants that have severe issues with matchmaking.

Of course, I don't want to take potshots at the work they've done since the sheer scale of the game is often mindblowing. But I can't help feeling that the game could use another few months of development to iron out all small kinks and to bring it on the same level of polish as Bloodborne.

Also, I will need to get the game on PC at some point; my impressions are from playing the PS4 copy so perhaps a lot of it is due to optimizations.
  • C86G
  • TheMadArtist
    Offline / Send Message
    TheMadArtist polycounter lvl 12
    I have noticed a few seems like that here and there, but frankly, the artistry and overall design of the world makes me forget all about that and give it a pass. 

Just finished it last night, holy hell, such a good time. Sad to see it end, hopefully we'll get some great DLC the way we did with Bloodborne.