Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Monthly Community Noob Challenge June 2015 (31)

Replies

• EpicBeardMan
    Offline / Send Message
    EpicBeardMan polycounter lvl 8
    Hello all!
    Here I am with a new project update.
    Today I have made couple of new elements to add to the scene and I'm coming closer to an end of the blockout phase, and after that, I'm gonna jump onto refining the basemeshes into a working-state meshes and with that, making materials for the given mesh. So, I hope I will begin that phase soon as I would like to finish this project in time.

Here's the screenshot of the progress I've made today:
    xsxIVuW.png

@Rawbert Yeah, I see that there might be a slight problem with the height of the ceiling, but that's the way I (tried) "read" the concept art xD. Well I hope it won't ruin the scene in the future. Anyhow, your scene (unlike mine) is much closer to the concept art which is awesome. I'm waiting to see what are you going to do with the production meshes and materials (are you using Substance?).

That's all for now.

Cheers everyone!
  • Markovnikov
    Offline / Send Message
    Markovnikov polycounter lvl 6
    lbhZjO6.jpg

Quick render with AO, Cavity and colour blockouts. Got a lot of detailing ahead of me.

@_SoriN_: Model looks fine, but the texture is very flat and uninteresting. You need some highlights and general shading work to make things pop.
  • Rawbert
    Offline / Send Message
    Rawbert polycounter lvl 5
    @epicbeardman: it WILL effect the end results if you dont fix it right now.
    Assuming this was a office and it got abandoned. Office spaces always have these enormous high ceilings (I think its around 4 meters high). The top of the ceiling has a lot of pipelines / wires / ventilation systems hanging, like you do have right now. Most offices have these ceiling panels to get rid of the ugly hanging stuff
    vPxynwG.jpg

Now if i quickly draw an overlay over your image to check where your ceiling panels would be placed, you will notice that the difference in height between the floor and ceiling becomes really low.
    zcmj6A3.jpg

It should be a minor effort to just increase the height of the ceiling in order to fix this problem.
    By having a low ceiling, everything in the scene feels really huge right now.

And to answer your question:
    No, im not going to use substance / ddo and never have used them. I could try it ofcourse but for now i'd rather stick to my old method and do everything by hand :)
  • _SoriN_
    I've decided to make a new texture for the sci-fi gun , this time i spent much time choosing the base colors and it's still a WIP . Here's some pictures of the base colors.

Render_002.jpg
    Render_001.jpg

Any opinion or critiques ?
  • EpicBeardMan
    Offline / Send Message
    What's up everyone!
    Here, I've finally finished the blockout phase of the project.
    The last couple of elements I did were holding pillars and collapsed floor in the background.
    For some other misc changes, I listened to @Rawbert's advice and I have increased the ceiling height, and, yeah, it looks better. I have also rearanged some elements and slightly changed the position of the camera to fit the concept.

Here's the screenshot:
    SwLC9oF.png

Now, I'm going to jump into the main asset production starting with the materials and some simple objects in the scene.
    So, if there's anything else, thats off, and I should change it, shout it out and, we will talk. I hope ya'll having fun with this challenge.

Cheers!
  • BradleyMAdams
    Offline / Send Message
    BradleyMAdams polycounter lvl 3
    Did a bit more on the model, added some more detail, re-designed and re-arranged some sections.

DsrauRj.jpg

6D7AQll.jpg
  • Mirhale
    Offline / Send Message
    Mirhale vertex
    The guns are looking pretty sweet, might join this one :)
  • SArkel
    Here is my first try. I had a bit of a struggle with figuring out how the design was build and used in actual combat. Changed it a little bit and might make some small changes in the future. Overall I'm happy with the result for now.
    1Th2CBb.jpg
    vADQGwM.jpg
  • Markovnikov
    Offline / Send Message
    Markovnikov polycounter lvl 6
    @Sarkel: Judging from the positioning of the handle and barrel, I think its safe to assume that this thing is not meant to be aimed but rather "wielded". Preferably by the least sane member of the squad.

h0yCEVX.jpg
    Got most of my texture work down, I think. Any suggestions on what to improve?
    YrGa1Hc.jpg

Also tried fiddling with a specular map, but it... didn't come out well. Hmm.
  • bkost
    Offline / Send Message
    bkost interpolator
    @Sorin how does your wireframe look?

Is it acceptable to have multiple obj. that aren't connected?

Here's my highpoly which I'm not happy with, I'm just going to stick with lowpoly modelling and texturing for now...

JHjB9K9.jpg
  • Ssjtroll
    Offline / Send Message
    Ssjtroll polycounter lvl 8
    Slowly working on stuff after work

Office_Screenshot_002.png
  • ElenaRoan
    Wow.

I'm tempted to have a go, I'm really really new at this though, and haven't even started on the environment subject yet.
  • _SoriN_
    I've made some progress on the texture , it's still not looking very good and i have to improve some areas.

Render_01.jpg
    Render_02.jpg

Any sugestions?

@bkost , here's the wireframe.

Render_03.jpg
  • EpicBeardMan
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello!
    After 2 days of me and my down-right weak computer wrestling with Substance Designer I have somehow managed to get this awful wood floor material. In the next couple of days, I'm gonna try my best to improve the material. And, parallel to that I'm gonna do some modeling for the final mesh assets.
    Here's the screenshot:
    9TB2OIu.png

I would really like some feedback on the current material to see if there is anything else worng with it that maybe I overlooked.

@_SoriN_ You should add more reflectance to the overall material. And, what render are you using?

Cheers!
  • Ssjtroll
    Offline / Send Message
    @EpicBeardMan
    How about some shots of just the material. It is kind of hard to see in your scene.
  • bkost
    Offline / Send Message
    bkost interpolator
    @Sorin good progress.. I'm curious, is that all one obj. or do you have seperate objects intersecting eachother? I'm having trouble on getting good topology.

Just keep in mind where the scratches/wear and tear should be placed. The placement of the scratches on the edges of the barrels and frames look great, keep it up
  • EpicBeardMan
    Offline / Send Message
    @Ssjtroll Here's the screenshot of the material withing Sub Designer.
    QvjgEeq.jpg

I'm gonna try to make much better graph and with that a better material

*Edit

I quickly made some small changes to the material. I made it in a parquete style and removed some of the dust color as it seemed to bright for me.
    chrI5V3.jpg

Tell me your thoughts.

Cheers!
  • Ssjtroll
    Offline / Send Message
    Good start on the wood. I would try to get alternating patterns in the planks with a mask or something. With wood floors each plank is a different piece so the grain and colors are different. With the dust, right now it looks like you have one procedural cloud on it. Dust and dirt is layers of crap. So I would get a few procedurals and stack them.
  • EpicBeardMan
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you very much @Ssjtroll for the advice. Appreciated.
    Gonna make those changes tommorrow.

Cheers!
  • _SoriN_
    @EpicBeardMan , thanks for the advice i'm gonna add more reflectance today . I'm using Blender Cycles Render . I really like the lighting of your scene what render are you using?

@bkost , no it's not just a single object there's a few of them . I could make it just a single one but the topology would be horrible. There's nothing wrong if you use multiple object that are intersecting each other this way you can save some tris and have a good topology. Here's a picture of all the objects.

Render_Parts.jpg

Can you show me your wireframe?
  • EpicBeardMan
    Offline / Send Message
    @_SoriN_ I'm using Unreal Engine 4. Really nice renderer I should say.

Cheers!
  • Artist_in_a_box
    Offline / Send Message
    Artist_in_a_box polycounter lvl 7
    I really am struggling to get time to work on this, but I AM working on it...slowly lol.
  • Rawbert
    Offline / Send Message
    Rawbert polycounter lvl 5
    I really am struggling to get time to work on this, but I AM working on it...slowly lol.

Show us what you got so far :D
  • Combo
    Ok so i finished creating one of the weapons the bot right gun.
    im happy with the result, it has a 2k texture and it is rendered in DDO
    Maybe il make another screenshot but from within the UE4 Engine.

http://nl.tinypic.com/r/ndon52/8

If you have any feedback or advice for me everything is welcome Thank you in advance !
  • Artist_in_a_box
    Offline / Send Message
    Rawbert I am tempted but I want to get a little bit further into it lol. I have been a bit creative with the concept and want to have more to show than half baked ideas. My main problem at the moment is knowing when to stop blocking and start making it more finished. Once I get the walls in engine and have what could be considered a 'room' I will upload something.
  • EpicBeardMan
    Offline / Send Message
    Greetings everyone!

Today I've made some changes to the floor material and I have listened to @SSjtroll's suggestions. It looks much better now.

Here's the material in Sub Designer:
    dD0xWL2.jpg

And here's the material in the UE4 scene:
    eZNqUIb.png

Critique this a always if need be.
    Until tommorrow.

Cheers!
  • bkost
    Offline / Send Message
    bkost interpolator
    @Sorin Wow, Thank you for the exploded version... that really made it click for me! :)

I had the idea of having the gun as one obj, that hindered my modelling..
  • Atokal
    Offline / Send Message
    Atokal polygon
    Greetings everyone!

Today I've made some changes to the floor material and I have listened to @SSjtroll's suggestions. It looks much better now.

Critique this a always if need be.
    Until tommorrow.

Cheers!

Hey Epic Beard man, its great to see you working on this and I am looking forward to seeing what you do here.

I want to say, work more on your lighting. The preview for the floor looks awesome but inside of unreal it looks like soup. Lighting will help you out with that and tweaking values for the material.

So it turns out that I did an environment from this concept art already and I want to cross post to my old thread to motivate you guys.
    Here
    Could not ressist showing off a little, >.<
  • EpicBeardMan
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey @Atokal great work on that office. I could use some elements from it for an inspiration. And, yes, lighting sucks in my scene. I am planning on tweaking it as I'm making some "game-ready" assets.
    Currently I'm really struggling (well, my computer is struggling) with Substance Designer. It is really slow, and with that my workflow is slow which might mean I might not be able to finish this in time although I'm gonna try my best.
    Thank you for the critique @Atokal

Cheers!
  • Artist_in_a_box
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys first update, slow going so far. Materials are of course not close to final, just placeholders to give me something to look at.

screencap_1_by_aerodyll-d8wuhtx.jpg
  • mnphear
    Offline / Send Message
    mnphear polycounter lvl 9
    So, I stepped back in my comfort zone and switched to blender, because booleans in maya were acting kind of strange :D

So here is my redone High-poly model of the sci-fi gun.
    Rendered in Max.

W9uEsmD.jpg
  • Artist_in_a_box
    Offline / Send Message
    Anyone figured out what the machine in the far right is meant to be? I am having a hard time figuring out a narrative for this concept.
  • EpicBeardMan
    Offline / Send Message
    @Artist_in_a_box I figured that it is a some kind of a generators so I took some references from the web and modelled a generator. You could go with that.
  • mnphear
    Offline / Send Message
    Another update today. Playing with render setups.

Trying to make the gun more interesting and I found one on which I might base some details of nerf-vortex-proton-blaster-gun-custom-modified-prop-blade-runner-sci-fi-680x510.jpeg

My render:
    dmCVnoy.jpg
  • Sashow
    Offline / Send Message
    Sashow polycounter lvl 7
    My first challenge, decided to take a swing at sci-fi weapon. I did a little re-design, because it was so hard to see what's what in the concept. High poly is finished, maybe a few tweeks here and there. Retopology tomorrow ^^

C&C are more than welcome!
  • bkost
    Offline / Send Message
    bkost interpolator
    Reworked topology, now onto unwrapping + texturing!

L2Upb.jpg
  • ricardoHa
    i spend sometime on my blockout state , a quick screenshot from it ;>
    863f382c

this is my highpoly state after blockout will move on to lowpoly ,please give some comment
    af1f329e
  • Ssjtroll
    Offline / Send Message
    I made a thing in Substance Designer.
    Substance_floor_001.JPG
  • kadart3d
    Offline / Send Message
    kadart3d polycounter lvl 4
    hey all I have a question I was baking out Normal's for a prop I am created for the environment but I got 'ugly' normal's like this, Is this okay? What am I doing wrong x.x http://i.imgur.com/k0nEpFH.png http://imgur.com/k0nEpFH
  • BARDLER
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    kadart3d wrote: »
    hey all I have a question I was baking out Normal's for a prop I am created for the environment but I got 'ugly' normal's like this, Is this okay? What am I doing wrong x.x http://i.imgur.com/k0nEpFH.png http://imgur.com/k0nEpFH

You can only really judge the quality of a normal map when it is applied to model. Then it will be easier to see what problems you have with it.
  • bkost
    Offline / Send Message
    bkost interpolator
    @Ssjtroll - awesome work man, I'm in awe whenever people make post work from substance. Keep it up

Alrighty I got to finishing the gun model, I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

I do need more practice UV unwrapping and figuring out how to use different maps. Any tutorial/theory recommendations for generating maps?

Lgr6134.jpg
  • _SoriN_
    It looks you have some stretching here :
    This scratches doesn't look realistic
    Lgr6134.jpg
  • Lucky17
    Hello guys!I feel so happy to find this challange it's a big chance for beginners to grow together,ty for this.I will also post some stuff leave comments.
    It's mixed high and low poly(some details i'll do in ndo)AITKO3k.jpg
  • kadart3d
    Offline / Send Message
    kadart3d polycounter lvl 4
    Wip on my airduct fbyf0N1.jpg
  • Lucky17
    Hello guys!Ty for this challange it's really good chance for us to improve skills together.I'll also post some progress of my works.:)
    Here is high-low mixed model(some deteils will be done in DDo)
    sDuuzT7.jpg
  • Ssjtroll
    Offline / Send Message
    Progress slowly, decided to go with a generator instead of what was ever in the background.
    Office_Screenshot_003.png

@bkost: Thanks man, trying to do all Substance Designer and Painter for this.

@kadart3d: Good start. You can see where you duped the mesh and moved it over for the vines though.
  • mnphear
    Offline / Send Message
    Still playing around with some design ideas, probabbly gonna stick with this. The Weyland-Yutani logo is just a placeholder, figured it would suit the design.

TKbuavB.png

bkost: Have you checked Racer's tutorial on texturing?

Ssjtroll : It looks great! Looking forward to the finished result!
  • bkost
    Offline / Send Message
    bkost interpolator
    @Sorin - Thanks for pointing out some of the problems. I guess I glossed over that area when I was texturing. As far as the stretching, I'm pretty new to the idea of UV unwrapping on a large scale. I still need some practice + figure out a satisfactory workflow. All I did was a UV cut down the center of the model which is bad practice >.<

@mnphear - Ah yes, I've glossed over the written portion of the tutorial. Thank you for linking it, that should help with getting down some of the theory side of texturing.
  • Lucky17
    Just UnWraped modelszET5O0.jpg
  • Zerogun
    Offline / Send Message
    Zerogun polycounter lvl 9
    I spent most of the month just modeling around all the different guns before realizing I was just messing around really. Then I turned my attention to the bottom right gun and got to a nice pause spot here for now. Should get a nice high poly in soon.
    g0LlIXg.jpg