Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Show your hand painted stuff, pls!

Fenyce
polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Fenyce polycounter lvl 11
Share your hand painted environment, characters, props, textures, whatever! The thread focus is handpainted stylized textures, not aiming to be photorealism. 
  • 1 embed maximum (1 image, or 1 video, or 1 Sketchfab, etc.)
  • Anim GIFs must be less than 2 mb
  • Externally-hosted images must be less than 500 kb
  • Uploaded images must not exceed 1000 pixels in any dimension
  • Don't upload PNG, use JPG
  • Breaking these rules may cause merciless editing by a Moderator
  • Why these rules? See WAYWO Usage.

Replies

• .nL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    .nL polycounter lvl 3
    AslN2pz.png
    simple hand-painted dirt texture for a scene I'm working on
    (doing all the values and composition first).
  • Merrena
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Merrena polycounter lvl 6
    Made this axe a few weeks ago, figured I'd share it here. Concept by Vladimir Grebnev
    https://www.artstation.com/artist/vladimir_grebnev

g-mason-graham-howlingfjordaxe-presentation.jpg?1431573846

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/howling-fjord-axe
  • chudork
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chudork polycounter lvl 8
    from the may monthly character challenge

3d_version_iosan_by_barrager-d8vthyw.jpg
  • polymator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    polymator polycounter lvl 6
    Hi guys
    I made some characters with hand painted textures.
    They're for a game called Regalia. It's on kickstarter.
    The characters are actually very tiny in-game so even this level of detail is kinda overkill. Hope you like it :)

sLmPbh4.jpg
  • polymator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh and I just realized I've never posted in this thread before. So here's some older hand painted stuff. Hope you guys don't mind.
    And man you guys make some amazing stuff! This thread is gold!

f4bdf6b099aa43697f9bc202cd380e8a.jpg
    6e24ec7302dd6a0560eea4bcdfc089ac.jpg
    ZdtNKql.jpg
    SY1fUzn.jpg
    MFecGZB.jpg
    ZXlPzPL.jpg
    aZodDE6.jpg
    w3w4QKA.jpg
  • Fenyce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Polymator: Already saw that Regalia characters on ArtStation and I love them! Your stuff is awesome! Keep up the great work! And Regalia has some pretty lovely art, the character artworks are gorgeous!
  • polymator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Fenyce Thank you! I'm working on a couple of personal projects (hand painted of course :P) and they should be up soon :)
    And Regalia has some pretty lovely art, the character artworks are gorgeous!
    I agree! The artists for Regalia are super talented. They have more art stuff on the devblog
  • Sweetangel0467
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sweetangel0467 polycounter lvl 10
    @Polymator: that's amazing! The character has so much... character! Really like your stuff :)
  • ozzy310
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ozzy310 polycounter lvl 8
    An axe itself is deadly why not make it more dangerous with fire.

9f07L0c.jpg
  • qwedeath
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    qwedeath polycounter lvl 9
    Texture practice :)
    [SKETCHFAB]248bc15f5f934c14b0140eb06ed9c4dd[/SKETCHFAB]
  • Zodd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zodd polycounter lvl 11
    Some old and very overdue balloons :)
    4B1oisR.jpg
  • Dennispls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dennispls polycounter lvl 16
    Nice stuff guys keep it up. Decided to try something in the stage area and I have altered the window slightly:
    JzYjHIY.jpg
    Kcsei6x.jpg
  • Sweetangel0467
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @dennispls: I've been looking at your progress with this scene and I think your texturing base is very solid and it has quite a good bit of color variation but the scene in it's whole is missing something that brings it all together. This is my intuition talking ;)

Maybe it's just the lack of shadows and AO so nothing feels grounded. Adding some vertex painting to your meshes would help with this I believe. Like for example the wall would go to a red/purplish tint the lower it's to the ground to really make the depth noticeable.

I'll try an overpaint :D
    2qu2106.jpg

So what I did was add gradients to where objects connect and a general ambient color balancing. Also added a bit more AO to the chair.
    The AO colors are mainly red/purple.
    The reason why I'm mentioning vertex colors is because they are awesome when they're used on tileable textures and can make your scene feel less like it's floating. Also because you can then have "unique" parts on a not so unique looking texture.

Hope that helps :):thumbup:

Also, if you were going to do this anyway in the future, nvm me then :D keep on rockin'
  • Dennispls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome feedback Sweetangel! I feel you on the scene sofar but I haven't done anything yet in terms of vertexcoloring or lighting it. However I do love the colors on your paintover and makes it look really vibrant. I will take this to heart. Thanks again!
  • Sweetangel0467
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • wirrexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    so guys i have a couple of questions, tugging through the Amazing Tyson Murphys tutorial (So far the best tutorial i've ever bought) and to my question, for a tileable texture lets say something like a wood or Concrete, how long do you guys work on it? (Mid-high quality with a lot of small, medium and big details).

Best Regards!
  • Fenyce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Wirrexx: I'm working serveral hours on one tileable, easily 5-8 hours (sometimes more). Building up layers takes me some time, and I often revisit textures after I've taken a day or a few hours off.
  • Dennispls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Wirrexx I would establish the shape first when it comes to wood. Paint in some basic planar detail. Then it is on to adding darker shades and lighter shades. Introduce more details as you go and refine it later.
    dont forget to zoom out often to determine the amount of detail is not too noisy or crude.
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/b5/6b/ce/b56bcea2601a1fec9e8545e77e37cb93.jpg

Here's a pretty good image reference for painting Wood. Not embedding it because it is long and will kill page formatting.
  • Sweetangel0467
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @wirrexx: To give another perspective then the comments above... I'm currently working on a mobile game where I don't get as much time to work on tileables as Fenyce. I'd have to make a full environment blockout in 1 day (tiny levels) and start blocking out textures the day after that. Lighting and vertex painting comes after that and just general polishing of the level. So here and there I'd redo some textures. Later I can still tweak it when the client isn't happy with the quality. So everything isn't set in stone once I import it into the editor. Everything just grows all together.

I used to think making a texture had to be "perfect" before importing. Boy was I wrooong, haha. :poly136:

In the end a tileable texture would take me 3-4 hours max I believe. Depending on if it also needs a heightmap in the alpha channel.
  • wirrexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    @Fenyce
    @Dennispls
    @Praetus
    @Sweetangel0467

I thank you all for you insights, the reason i am asking is because, even with a tutorial, i'm taking more time than probably any of you on finish my texture. Could be that i'm still learning how to achieve propar lighting! thanks once again!
  • Sourdough Bronson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sourdough Bronson polycounter lvl 5
    I've been doing more work on this Soulwell.

soulwell_thumbnail.png

I've got it set up in Marmoset Viewer on my Artstation here:

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/soulwell-marmoset-viewer

Feedback is welcome!
  • Iudex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Iudex polycounter lvl 7
    i don't know if this is hand painted... but

thief_by_duxzalur-d8wjfl0.gif
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    polymator wrote: »
    Hi guys
    I made some characters with hand painted textures.
    They're for a game called Regalia. It's on kickstarter.
    The characters are actually very tiny in-game so even this level of detail is kinda overkill. Hope you like it :)

sLmPbh4.jpg

great work!
    They really feel like illustrations.
    polymator wrote: »
    Oh and I just realized I've never posted in this thread before. So here's some older hand painted stuff. Hope you guys don't mind.
    And man you guys make some amazing stuff! This thread is gold!

MFecGZB.jpg
    ZXlPzPL.jpg
    aZodDE6.jpg
    w3w4QKA.jpg
    Those environments are killer!
    Love how you made it all feel lived in.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished my next character.

Need to adjust the colors a little bit. Need to add a little bit more saturation.

gaben_01.PNG
    gaben_03.PNG
  • jcnorn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jcnorn polycounter lvl 5
    Hello! I hope a WIP is ok to post as well.
    This is what I am currently working on:
    boatrender01_zpsfcrryttf.png

Trying to make a boat out of a leaf and will be adding a dock to attach it to with a rope.
  • soulstice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    soulstice polycounter lvl 9
    nice work guys, i love this thread! :D
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    Yep, lots of great work here :)

I found an old unfinished sword model recently, I decided to rework the texture. Here's how it looks after the treatment:

HP_ShortSword1_Render1_small.jpg?raw=1
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    Sourdough Bronson: Love that! I think you nailed the bounce light from the glow :)
    Jesse: Nice techno viking! ;)
  • jcnorn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jcnorn polycounter lvl 5
    Oh wow, that sword is looking amazing! So much detail :O
  • Dennispls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome sword! Only thing I would be worried asbout is the readability from a distance.
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks!

I agree about readability - sword's design comes from times when I couldn't comprehend the idea that its humanely possible to add too many details onto a surface. :)
    But it's also a result of the fact that my inspiration has always been games like this: http://idgames.clan.su/_ph/3/666762206.jpg rather than world of warcraft.
  • Kid.in.the.Dark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kid.in.the.Dark polycounter lvl 6
    I built this with the remaining minutes I had left at the end of my lunches at work... was a nice short project :)... It's still a WIP but I've taken a step away from this for now..

the model is essentially done but the textures still require another CBB pass & Also I was meant to remove that black outline effect since an artist told me it doesn't look too great when you pan around the model... I'll have that updated altogether on the next pass sometime later on.

The original concept is by Kenny McBee who's also on this forum. This was his Dark Siders 2 concept weapon which he began modelling but never got around to finishing it.

He's kindly given me permission to post this so thank you Kenny!

Check out his awesome work :)
    http://www.theekennymcb.com/

[SKETCHFAB]d265fe8e46214a808a291278b11e1707[/SKETCHFAB]
  • juyi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    juyi polycounter lvl 6
    So much hand painting love ! :D
    Here's my contribution !

[SKETCHFAB]3b2a8526f33f4ba38398b108d51e4fd9[/SKETCHFAB]
  • Wendy de Boer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wendy de Boer interpolator
    Finished my next character.

Need to adjust the colors a little bit. Need to add a little bit more saturation.

gaben_01.PNG
    gaben_03.PNG

Looks cool! I like the slightly boxy art direction and how it gives certain elements a pixel art kind of look. I remember the first Gaben Helm model you did for Quake 3 back in the day. You've certainly come a long way since then! :)

I think the saturation levels look good for the most part, but I would add some color variation to the skin; some reds to the nose and finger tips, a bit of yellow to the forehead.
  • Francois_K
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Francois_K interpolator
    I love those little polski Regalia figures. Very cool.

Been werking on this.

ebQ8VbI.jpg
  • polymator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Sweetangel @skankerzero @Francois_K Thanks guys!

@Sourdough Bronson
    That looks awesome! The only thing I'd suggest is maybe add some swirling mist/souls emanating from the green liquid.

@skankerzero
    All the characters from MechKnight look really nice!

@juyi
    Cool scene! I especially like the bounced lighting and the rubble, it adds a lot. I think it would benefit from some contact shadows and a little bit more contrast though.

@Blaisoid
    O__O so many juicy details...
    Whenever I try to put more details into my handpainted textures my brain starts screaming "READABILITY ERROR". I gotta push past that somehow.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks cool! I like the slightly boxy art direction and how it gives certain elements a pixel art kind of look. I remember the first Gaben Helm model you did for Quake 3 back in the day. You've certainly come a long way since then! :)

I think the saturation levels look good for the most part, but I would add some color variation to the skin; some reds to the nose and finger tips, a bit of yellow to the forehead.

Thank you for the kind words.

I have a question:

With MechKnight, we're shooting for a very 'graphic art', '2d illustrative' look.
    MechKnight_02.png

Although, recently, we've been experimenting with a more complex look to stand out a bit from the crowd and build a unique look for the game.
    mkc_shader.jpg
    (never mind the environment art just the character shader)

So my question is, would subtleties like skin variation look strange? I will try it now that you mention it because I'm curious.
    We do have a very strong anime look to our character faces, but with some of the characters with less of an 'anime nose', perhaps your suggestion will work.

Oh, and for fun:
    joe_light.gif
  • juyi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    juyi polycounter lvl 6
    @polymator

Hey thanks polymator :) ! It was definitely tricky trying to paint all the lighting in the scene. I am actually not entirely sure if that's the normal workflow of things. I definitely agree with you about contrast, I actually had to go to photoshop and crank up the contrast. I also really dig the color room you did. I remember seeing that and being more inspire to try hand painting modeling. Cool stuff !
  • Wendy de Boer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wendy de Boer interpolator
    Thank you for the kind words.

So my question is, would subtleties like skin variation look strange? I will try it now that you mention it because I'm curious.
    We do have a very strong anime look to our character faces, but with some of the characters with less of an 'anime nose', perhaps your suggestion will work.

I don't think it would look strange. Perhaps you could even be totally non-subtle about it! :poly142:

I think right now, the different color areas stand out as their own distinct pools of color. It would be interesting to experiment with the palettes a bit, by having some sort of "cross-over" between the color ramps. By that I mean that each color ramp takes on some of the other colors in the piece.

One way to do this would be to shift each color towards the same shadow color. You can do the same thing with the highlights, as well.

Another way is where you overlap ramps. For instance, the shadow colors of a light color could become the midtones of a medium color and the highlights of a dark color.

These techniques are used a lot in pixel art, both to conserve colors and to harmonize them. So, I don't think it would interfere with a simplified graphic look. :)
  • zug zug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zug zug ngon master
    An Alchemy table i made for incoming RPG Tanzia
    575090_djct8s20orgimios9vbami2zm.png
  • KiwiHead
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KiwiHead vertex
    still working on the textures of this guy, advice and critique welcome :)
    [SKETCHFAB]7e8f0894665f46a4adf68ba43c339ac6[/SKETCHFAB]
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't think it would look strange. Perhaps you could even be totally non-subtle about it! :poly142:

I think right now, the different color areas stand out as their own distinct pools of color. It would be interesting to experiment with the palettes a bit, by having some sort of "cross-over" between the color ramps. By that I mean that each color ramp takes on some of the other colors in the piece.

One way to do this would be to shift each color towards the same shadow color. You can do the same thing with the highlights, as well.

Another way is where you overlap ramps. For instance, the shadow colors of a light color could become the midtones of a medium color and the highlights of a dark color.

These techniques are used a lot in pixel art, both to conserve colors and to harmonize them. So, I don't think it would interfere with a simplified graphic look. :)

Thanks for that. I'm back in town and will give it a shot.
  • Lionel98
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    All artwork shared in this post is just fabulous. I really admire your hard work guys. I have also learnt hand painting and working on my very first Aboriginal Art painting. After completing that I’ll definitely share photos here!
  • Calvin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calvin polycounter lvl 10
    I made this over the weekend and wanted to share :)

[SKETCHFAB]4278bcc8b70142db87e6044d122c89d7[/SKETCHFAB]
  • Eliteabix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eliteabix polycounter lvl 5
    @Calvin - Awesome work!
    _-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-

Just finished this up, thoughts?

[Concept]

gPECUaI.png
    [SKETCHFAB]d194823cd5be4376b495e47bed997c80[/SKETCHFAB]
  • darkmag07
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    darkmag07 polycounter lvl 12
    @KiwiHead: Right now your guy is totally black which leaves no room for us to see the depth on those parts. If you start introducing some subtle gradients we'd get a better read on the forms in the black areas. Also people tend to tint shadows to blue/purple to help soften them. Very few dark objects are solid black in the real world.

@Calvin: Looks great!

@Eliteabix: Looks cool. I'd add in those wisps though since they help make it pop!

Some more weapon stuff from Churbles from me.

churbles_weapons_a.png

churbles_weapons_b.png

ogur_mitts_final_render_composite.png
  • turpedo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    turpedo polycounter lvl 12
    Nice painting Calvin :D

Armor set I got a chance to work on for 6.2 - Fury of Hellfire for Warlords of Draenor.

kelvin-tan-kelvin-roguetier18.jpg?1434649961
  • Mpages
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mpages polycounter lvl 5
    hey guys, there's some amazing stuuf here !
    Here's my last work, it's a Fan Art from Overwatch :)

969409_orig.jpg
    9361829_orig.jpg
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mpages wrote: »
    hey guys, there's some amazing stuuf here !
    Here's my last work, it's a Fan Art from Overwatch :)

969409_orig.jpg
    9361829_orig.jpg

I love the colors there. Do you have any ambient occlusion baked into the sakura blossoms?
    Calvin wrote: »
    I made this over the weekend and wanted to share :)

[SKETCHFAB]4278bcc8b70142db87e6044d122c89d7[/SKETCHFAB]

This is really awesome! I do see some edges on his right shoulder that need some turning though. They're causing the volume to be lost.