Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Monument Forge

ayhankin
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
ayhankin polycounter lvl 4
I was doing this for Blizzard Contest, however life happened and I have lost everything about this project. My teacher Jamin Shoulet was helping me from the very begining of this project. And because of him I was able to reconstruct it and finish it. My biggest thanks goes to him. All the textures are hand painted. And there are still parts that should be retouch or redone. I hope you like it.

L2Zgrr.jpg

DvZdED.jpg

fnkk80.jpg

pYzDqh.jpg

Replies

• BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Awesome job on the painting and continuing even through the lost progress and other hurdles!

One thing I'd personally like to see you focus on is the contrast in your textures and focus of the scene as a whole, though. Right now due to the density of detail and contrast present, the trees in the background are drawing my eye a lot. The scene also ends up looking a bit muddy and lacking crispness.

Your entire scene looks like it was painted for a daylight scene, but to make it look like a dusk/night you just kind of lowered the lighting, and it doesn't show off everything as well as it could, I think!

Just a quick edit as an example of the scene mood/contrast/focus because pictures always do a better job than words:
    rSAYdVV8.png
    And also as I was doing this I noticed your value range is pretty low, you don't have a lot of strong contrast between your shadows and highlights in your actual texture maps, either:
    K9BxRrgc.gif
    While I think areas need more love than just a contrast/levels edit, it does make for a good starting point on where things need a little more care taken. :)

Hope this can help a little bit. Looking forward to seeing your final version, and loving the inside shots!
  • ayhankin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow! Thank you for taking your time and writing me a feedback. I will make some arrangements just like you said! Thank you. However before doing that I will re-arrange my scene. It is kind of busy right now. Thank you again
  • ayhankin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    here is my re-arrangement

vRiwSy.jpg

vKnqON.jpg

s48cJj.jpg

iJLQZk.jpg

V3yMie.jpg
  • Eliteabix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eliteabix polycounter lvl 5
    This looks amazing man, some beautiful textures. Wont be surprised if youre snapped up by Blizzard in the coming months.
  • Shyralon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shyralon polycounter lvl 11
    Looks amazing, you hit the wow style perfectly!
    Thought your environment is a reference from the game first :D
    May I ask, are the texture just painted in photoshop or did use use any additional programs/workflows for that?
  • ayhankin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Eliteabix Thank you!! That means a lot to me

@Shyralon I have used mostly 3D Coat for painting bur for some places like creating the tileable textures I first created them in Photoshop. Then adjust them - if I need to- in 3D coat. And for some parts - like dwarf; I sculpted in Zbrush and then retopo it in 3D coat and used my AO from high res as a road map to paint.

I highly recommend Kelvin Tan's tutorials for hand painting and texture design. You can find the ling below.

https://gumroad.com/turpedo
  • ayhankin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    After getting a lot of feedback here is my latest version , thank you for all the feedback

JVTYJl.jpg

e0TGKT.jpg
  • shadownet752
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shadownet752 polycounter lvl 6
    The colors are popping in the best sort of way. I love your little forge and all its tiny details.
  • ayhankin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Carabiner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Carabiner greentooth
    This is GREAT improvement, you really took the critiques to heart and I'm super impressed by that. Really nice work!
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Oh, wow.

Just for the record, with all that you redid, the re-arrangement and the mood added... This is more beautiful than I thought could possibly come from this piece, and that's no small feat because I knew this was gonna be good. But it's come together really well...

Amazing job, totally loving the atmosphere and composition, and it really shows off your texture work!
  • DanielR17
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DanielR17 polycounter lvl 7
    Hey,

Great sky that complements the rest of the composition beautifully. I want to work on some personnal hand painted exercices, you're going to be an inspiration to me!

Jamin Shoulet put online a texturing workshop by the way. Here:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_GWVez_UHM"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_GWVez_UHM[/ame]
  • ayhankin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @BagelHero, @Carabiner Thanks a lot guys, your words made me really happy ^ ^

@DanielR17 He is my teacher actually and I learned lots of things from him. He is the one who taught me the foundation of the hand painting techniques. He is a great teacher. He really pushes you and tries to do everything in order to make you a good artist :).
  • 87roach
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    87roach polycounter lvl 5
    Wow man this has really turned out fantastic! Awesome awesome work and keep it up, it definitely paid off. I am surprised you aren't at blizzard!
  • ayhankin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @87roach Thanks man! I hope one day I can go to Blizzard. that is my dream ^ ^ , I need to work more though :)
  • TGI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TGI polycounter lvl 3
    ayhankin wrote: »
    @87roach Thanks man! I hope one day I can go to Blizzard. that is my dream ^ ^ , I need to work more though :)

Just keep working at it! I think you're on the super-right track. I commented on this on ten thousand hours already but I don't mind saying it again- good work, great progress.
  • ayhankin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @TGI Thanks man! I Appreciate it, I hope one day I can make it, I need to work a lot :)
  • zOffTy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zOffTy polycounter lvl 16
    Nice evolution ! :) keep going!
  • ayhankin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Noth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noth polycounter lvl 14
    Those crates look fishy.
  • ayhankin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everyone!

I just wanted to tell something. While I was painting this scene. I used many references in order to learn hand painting style. And Devin just contacted with me that one of the pieces that I have painted here is too similar with his one. I wanted to wright this here because my intention was not like try to steal something but to learn from a work that is very well painted. At the end my result is too similar with his one. I just wanted to be clear about that I wanted to write it here since I do not want to offend anyone in anyway. And I am deeply sorry if somehow I offended someone.
  • Doxturtle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Doxturtle polycounter lvl 8
    what does his look like? Any links
  • Jakob Gavelli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jakob Gavelli interpolator
    I caught Noth's post before he edited it.

It's just really bad, man. From the gif it's pretty obvious that your texture is not merely "similar" but that you actually took his texture and painted over it.

You're just shooting yourself in the foot when you should be trying to learn. And even though I see that you're good it makes me question all of the other stuff in the scene.

If you didn't paint straightly over his texture I apologize, but it really does seem that way.

I have the link of the gif but I'm hesitant to post is as Noth removed it from his post.
  • ayhankin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Jacob.

Me and Devin -owner of crate- already talked about this and solved the matter. He was really cool and kind. And as a veteran he gave me plenty of good suggestions.That is why Noth removed that post. The thing is while I am trying to learn hand painting textures sometimes I go with reference in order to learn it and try to mimic it. However I should make this as a learning process separately from project otherwise it leads situations like this. For the record I am really hard working in order to learn this stuff. And there are already plenty of people who know my work flow and how I work. Thanks for your concern and kindness.
  • Devin Busha
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Guys,

Ayhan and I have resolved this via email. From our conversations, he strikes me as a good dude. The texture is being changed. All is well.

- Dev