Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Zoonoid's Cute Girl

quad damage
Offline / Send Message
Alemja quad damage
LATEST UPDATE:
http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2335269#post2335269

Finished this up, thanks to everyone who helped out along the way!

You can view it in marmoset on Artstation: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/zoonoid-s-cute-girl

49YWnmLh.jpg
0u4Sc6Ph.jpg
urzq3C1h.jpg
CADHWhhh.jpg
KUBMC3ch.jpg
P0mbnBEh.jpg
HpSq9oCh.jpg

===============================
ORIGINAL POST:

Hey polycount it's been a little while!

I'm working on a new character for my portfolio and to get a better understanding of the PBR workflow, I decided this round to do something based on someone else's concept instead of my own and I'm going to go mostly for realism, which should be a challenge for me.

cute_girl_by_zoonoid-d5hx0xc.png
Concept Link: http://zoonoid.deviantart.com/art/cute-girl-332425200

Ref board:
uHimDbJ.jpg

Zbrush blockout so far:
cBv26Y7.jpg
Going for a lot of general shapes to get an idea, wrinkles will become asymmetrical as I move on. Hair is just a block-in for visual sake, I will probably do something planar and/or mess with fiber mesh.

Comments and critiques are always appreciated!

Replies

• Alemja
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja quad damage
    Progress from over the weekend, trying to figure out the cloth wrinkles

4b9WekJ.jpg

• AngryMindtricks
    It's looking pretty good so far dude.

Although I'd rethink some of the creases in the pants...
    the lower half seems pretty much good to me... but some other areas just don't seem convincing to me..

I did a quick paintover on your screenie... I'm at work so I only really had time to do her left hamstring area... so maybe you'll get what I mean.

Maybe don't follow my paintover exactly but main thing is to just rethink areas like that...

Keep going! :)

paintover.jpg
  • Alemja
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja quad damage
    Thanks for the paintover AngryMindtricks! It's really helpful :thumbup:, the back of the pants are a spot I was really having trouble with getting to look right

Little slow going on progress, so far I've been focusing on the boots, a couple people told me that if I get the boots right first the rest will follow, which I agree with since the pant folds are greatly influenced by them.

byudVir.jpg

Eventually I'm hoping to make them more Asymmetrical. As always comments and crits are appreciated!
  • wakkamis
    Offline / Send Message
    wakkamis polycounter lvl 15
    Nice details on those shoes!
  • Alemja
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja quad damage
    @wakkamis - Thanks!

Working on more pieces like the vest, tightened up a lot of little things that where bugging me like her face. I would still like more feedback on the pants before I add more to them.

CO78Usa.jpg
    eLotllL.jpg
    1ALMwvc.jpg

• Marcus_Aseth
    Offline / Send Message
    Marcus_Aseth polycounter lvl 9
    @Alemja: don't know how faithful you want to be to the concept,but as for now from the concept I can tell that her face is a bit more toward the masculine side so stuff like a stronger jawline and so on,yours feel too much "roundish",I think that a bit of plane change in the cheekbone could help as well. The nose feels too high, maybe is only me but I'm getting an hint of this from the nose,so I would probably lower it,also the mouth feels too wide :)
  • SuperFranky
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
    To me, the wrinkles and folds on shirt and pants make no sense. I suggest getting some real-life references for the clothing. Take some pictures of similar clothing that you have in your apartment. But first of all you have to learn to identify various distinctive wrinkle/fold patterns that you can recreate on your own. I suggest to try to find books on drawing drapery and online tutorials on drawing folds, there are many of them on the web.

Also, some of your assets like boots look very wonky and unclean. Spend some time polishing them, that would give you a much better end result. For example, the soles of boots are of consistent thickness throughout the length, but yours are all over the place. There's also a lot of generally unclean cuts in the meshes, I assume that you used cutting brushes and Dynamesh, that would be better off to be polished too.

It's hard to see behind all that hair, but it looks like the face is looking a bit weird. Triple check your proportions and resculpt facial features. Use a lot of photo references.
  • Alemja
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja quad damage
    @Marcus Aseth: I do want to go a little bit more towards the concept, but since you can't see the entire face there is a little bit that can be up to interpretation. You're right about the shape, it's a little bit more angular than what I had so I made some adjustments:

Rb5GZ1B.jpg
    iWN8JPZ.gif

@SuperFranky: Harsh, but it's what I needed to hear :) I think I was trying to over-emphasize the wrinkles on the shirt, so I took another crack at them. I will work on the pants more later. I also changed the type of shirt to something that feels like it makes more sense. As for the boots, I did notice the wobbliness a few posts up, so I've been working on cleaning them up. I will post an update when I'm a little farther along with them.

wqDvE7l.jpg

Thank you very much for the critiques! Keep them coming! :)
  • SuperFranky
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
    The face just doesn't look very human right now. Lips, nose, eyes - everything needs more work. Ears also look weird to me. Shape of the skull needs more work too. Just don't forget to use a lot of photo references, don't think you can do it by yourself. Forget about any details right now and focus on big shapes and the silhouette of the head and the rest of the body.

Muscles of the back make litle sense. I don't think they need to be prominent at all, considering that it's a woman and she's not supposed to be an athlete or a bodybuilder.
  • Alemja
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja quad damage
    @SuperFranky - thanks again for the critique, I went through and did another pass on the face and pants. For the back muscles, I see your point and will go through and soften/adjust them up a little more however I feel a more athletic body fits with the punk/rebel vibe that the concept has going on. Also if you look at her arms in the concept they are rather toned, so it would make sense for other parts of her body to also have muscle mass.

CuwAPAR.jpg
    YuhBJL6.jpg

If there are any other adjustments that need to be made of these parts, comments and critiques would be greatly appreciated!
  • Alemja
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja quad damage
    A lot of fixes, polish and detail work on the clothes since my last update

Ex8VsDa.jpg
    rY2M6cf.jpg
    WqQTw33.jpg
    ZcXmaiS.jpg

As always if anyone has any feedback, I'd be happy to hear it.
  • Alemja
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja quad damage
    Switched gears to work on the bag for a little bit, progress so far:

zNotBXy.jpg
  • kornetic
    Offline / Send Message
    kornetic vertex
    You sculpted the clothes so well. Especially the boots they look really good.

The only critique i have is that the face looks weird to me from straight on. the 3/4 shot and side shot look good but straight on her cheeks look lumpy and maybe her nose is too narrow. I dunno Cant wait to see more :^D
  • Phong
    Offline / Send Message
    Phong polycounter lvl 3
    The main thing I see a lot of people do with high heels is flatten the feet.

I know its a bit late now D:
    However for next time, notice how the feet almost go vertical from the toes. That angle REALLY helps with how the silhouette looks.

high-heel-knee-high-leather-boots-ao4mekzq.jpg
  • Steve Schulze
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    She's going to have to watch her head getting through doors with that extra heel height added to her already sizeable stature.
  • Novian
    Offline / Send Message
    Novian polycounter lvl 5
    @Alemja: I agree on the boots. Yours do look a bit squished at the moment. But otherwise they looks awesome! As for the bag I would omit the zipper as it passes the front straps, as in the concept the actual tag part of the zipper (the part you pull on) seems to be trapped between those two front straps and there isnt a need for the zipper track to go past there. Also if that is a zipper and the skull opens it will need to be a softer material Right now, and I think it is a byproduct of Zbrush/rendering, it looks very rigid. Greatly looking forward to more! :) Cheers!~
  • Alemja
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja quad damage
    Thanks for the critiques you guys!

@kornetic: I've a couple of other nit-picky critiques about the face as well, I haven't worked on or looked at it since the last update, but I will definitely get around to fixing them.

@Phong: Never too late! :) I was having some trouble getting the shapes right so it's good you're calling me out to look at it again and fix them up.

@Jackablade: lol even tall girls like their heels

@Novian: The design of the bag, while cool at first glance it's a little weird, and I'm still in the process of figuring it out. What I think is going on is the zipper goes around the top of the skull like I have it but in the concept it's partially unzipped. The material in the concept looks like it's hardened leather, if that's the case the only way it can open is if the top of the skull swings open from the back. I found an actual purse that is a hardened leather skull which convinced me that the shape is possible using that material and this has been my main ref for how detailed I should go.

UJWovIPl.jpg
    http://griffinleather.deviantart.com/art/Leather-skull-purse-clutch-in-ox-blood-291259129

But like I said, still trying to figure it out, I will consider other options as well.
  • karytsukino
    Offline / Send Message
    karytsukino greentooth
    Hey nice Job here! Like your idea! Its a very cool style. You did a great job sculpting clothes and details I love the skull bag, I thnk you could just work a bit more on her face to look more relaxed, her lips looks a bit weird... and you ould smoth a bit the nose in the part between the eyes to make it more soft... well just my opinion, in any case great job! I'm looking foward to see more of it! =D
  • Alemja
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja quad damage
    Thanks KaryTsukino!

Made adjustments to the boots and face based on the feedback given, thank you to all of the people who pointed things out!
    gjFzNf2.jpg

Gifs to make the changes easier to see
    xLR0Ynn.gif
    kLsZIGb.gif
  • oreoorbitz
    Offline / Send Message
    oreoorbitz polycounter lvl 9
    Hey Alemja, great progress!

Thank you so much for helping me out with my arttest, though I havn´t gotten a response, if you hadn´t given me tips it would of looked much worse then it turned out.

Anyway I did a paint over with some suggestions.

Edit: lol muscle typo
    2qxql2o.jpg
  • Alemja
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja quad damage
    Thanks for the crit oreoorbitz! I applied it to the areas you called out and I think it looks much better :)
    ksBPjwZ.jpg
    I2Akiz9.gif

Other than some really small details like wear and tear, and any crits you guys may have the sculpt of the bag is pretty much done!
    5KeNTCh.jpg
  • Novian
    Offline / Send Message
    Novian polycounter lvl 5
    Looking great! My only crit on the bag is that the folds on the center back look odd. Its very cris/cross/cris and it looks a little fake. Not sure how to fix it but it just stands out to my eyes is all. I hope that helps truly.

Cheers!
  • Muzzoid
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    Good progress.

http://www.dlt.ncssm.edu/tiger/360views/Forensics_Skull-B_800x600/top-bottom/Forensics_Skull_specimen_B_top-600.jpg

Just a note, the widest part of the skull is near the rear. Right now the sides of the skull are flat which is incorrect.
  • GarageBay9
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    Am I the only one getting a Motoko Kusanagi vibe off that concept?
  • Alemja
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja quad damage
    @Novian - Thanks! I will have to post an update later with details and changes I made to the character and bag, you where definitely right, the wrinkles where weird.

@Muzz - Thanks for the reference image, like I said with Novian I will have an update on the bag fixes soon™

@GarageBay9 - A little bit, I think it's the haircut :)

Started working on the p90, most parts blocked out with some farther along than others. I'm not super familiar with guns so if there is anything that stands out that needs to be fixed please let me know.
    RO9ItOR.jpg
  • Alemja
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja quad damage
    p90 highpoly finished

Bx7TPur.jpg

Retopology is next
  • Alemja
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja quad damage
    VR48HqY.jpg

"Clay" render of the lowpoly normals with some flat colors and patterns in the diffuse, hair is currently a placeholder.
  • Alemja
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja quad damage
    Texturing progress on the skin; I'm trying to keep the same look as in the concept, pretty clean and semi-stylized.

qYAB9Vs.jpg

Crits and comments welcome!
  • Alemja
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja quad damage
    Some texture progress from over the week. I also made some small geometry adjustments to the face thanks to some feedback.

OIYnAC1.jpg
  • Staubkopf
    Offline / Send Message
    Staubkopf polycounter lvl 3
    Hi Alemja

Good looking Character, and nice detail modeling, keep it up :)
  • hawken
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    nice work!

The gun seems a little small, you may want to measure it compared to your model and rescale things accordingly. Also, you might want to think about the story you're trying to tell here; why does she have a gun? Those things are kinda heavy, does she carry it in her hand all day? etc.
  • Alemja
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja quad damage
    Thanks for the compliments Staubkopf and hawken!

Hawken - I up-sized the gun, since you're right it was a little small, it's now pretty proportional to her if she was about 6' tall. About the character's story, I didn't create the concept so I can only guess based on what I see... guessing a bit of a punk underground rebel in the UK. I was also surprised to find out that p90s are actually really light, about 5.5 lbs and a little over 6.5 with a loaded clip, you can easily hold it with one hand and carry it around.

I think I'm pretty much done with the textures because I'm not sure how much further to take them. I've worked on the gun, the bag and a lot of other small tweaks since the last update.
    If anybody thinks something needs more work, I will gladly take some crits.

1NiLCPeh.jpg

Some close-ups
    0XepSgQ.jpg

In the mean time, I'm going to start on the hair, it's going to get the planar treatment and I'm hoping I can achieve the same fluffy kinda look that the concept has.
  • Alemja
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja quad damage
    Finished this up, thanks to everyone who helped out along the way!

You can view it in marmoset on Artstation: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/zoonoid-s-cute-girl

49YWnmLh.jpg
    0u4Sc6Ph.jpg
    urzq3C1h.jpg
    CADHWhhh.jpg
    KUBMC3ch.jpg
    P0mbnBEh.jpg
    HpSq9oCh.jpg